Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2012, 13:06   #1141
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Further black films on glasses have been banned, but coloured glasses complying to (70%) front & (50%) side visibility are allowed.
There is no confusion here. Black film is not allowed (actually no film is allowed), however colored galsses (as in "tinted glasses" in SC judgment) is allowed as per prescribed VLT. BTP doesn't says use of film with prescribed VLT is ok or films in any other shade is allowed. They just replaced tinted glasses with colored glass!
Old 9th May 2012, 13:11   #1142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao

It is tinted glass. Most probably as per the standards as this is OEM. Which car is this? Some models come with tinted glass and some do not.

I have a Honda civic which has tinted glass whereas my i10 is plain glass.
This is a December 2006 Getz GLS. I didn't even know this came with tinted windows I was took excited at getting my new car I never enquirer about this or the film the were gonna put up. I was told it was according to the standards (the film). Was none the wiser back then
Old 9th May 2012, 13:17   #1143
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Where did this happen. I have been lucky till now as i goto office and come back during the peak hours and i use the Aarey Colony Road, so till now been escaping. Did they rip off the films or did they kindly request you to get it removed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Where did this happen ? Did they rip off the films ?

Well the thing is that i was on my way back from lamington rd and i had a box of my computer speaker on the rear seat, this happened at the signal where we take a left turn opp. Atria Mall to head towards the sea link.

This cop found something suspicious and flagged us down.(this is a good thing IMO). he checked the car and then asked for all the papers, when he found nothing missing, he just out of the blue started complaining that the film is too dark, i tried to reason with him that if they were so dark how did he notice i had something on my rear seat?? but his guy would just not bugde, just because i was in a hurry paid up 100 bucks and left, but i saw that these fellows were flagging cars that had film on their glasses,

And no this guy not once told me to remove the film neither did he tried ripping them off.
Ripper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 13:20   #1144
Senior - BHPian

Chandigarh police today started the drive against govt official cars,and buses with tints and curtains.

What happens to the volvo's now
Old 9th May 2012, 13:23   #1145
Senior - BHPian

In Bangalore we've Volvo's driving around with ads all over them and one cannot see anything inside. Will these be ripped off too?
Old 9th May 2012, 13:24   #1146
Senior - BHPian

I am hoping this won't be implemented with any seriousness in TN; our Amma (and the one at Kolkata) can thumb their noses at anybody, and are the only real men in power in India!
Gansan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 13:34   #1147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
Few questions for you:
1. How much does package treatment cost? Dont mind doing this if they remove sunfilm for free.

2. I have 3M sunfilm on my car but it was not installed at the 3M shop. Will they still remove my sunfilm? If so, how much will they charge?
Karthik

It cost 299 @ 3M RMV Second Stage.

I am worried abt the rear-defogger
Old 9th May 2012, 13:42   #1148
BHPian

This should hope to clear the apparent confusion - whether ALL tints or only those with specific VLTs have been banned. Points taken from the Supreme court judgement in this PIL -
Avishek Goenka Vs. Union of India & Anr.

link - SUPREME LAW: Avishek Goenka Vs. Union of India & Anr.

1.In face of the language of the Rule, we cannot grant the petitioner the relief prayed for, that there should be 100 per cent VLT. This Court cannot issue directions that vehicles should have glasses with 100 per cent VLT. Rule 100 of the Rules is a valid piece of legislation and is on the statute book.

[Rule - The glass of the windscreen and rear window of every motor vehicle shall be such and shall be maintained in such a condition that the visual transmission of light is not less than 70%. The glasses used for side windows are such and shall be maintained in such condition that the visual transmission of light is not less than 50%, and shall conform to Indian Standards [IS: 2553— Part 2—1992]

Once such provision exists, this Court cannot issue directions contrary to the provision of law. Thus, we decline to grant this prayer to the petitioner.

2.Two scenarios must be examined. First, if the glass so manufactured already has the VLT as specified, then the question of further reducing it by any means shall be in clear violation of Rule 100 as well as the prescribed IS. Secondly, the rule requires a manufacturer to manufacture the vehicles with safety glasses with prescribed VLT. It is the minimum percentage that has been specified. The manufacturer may manufacture vehicle with a higher VLT to the prescribed limit or even a vehicle with tinted glasses, if such glasses do not fall short of the minimum prescribed VLT in terms of Rule 100. None can be permitted to create his own device to bring down the percentage of the VLT thereafter.

The ambiguous part [continued after the sentence above]- Thus, on the plain reading of the Rule and the IS standards, use of black films of any density is impermissible. Another adverse aspect of use of black films is that even if they reflect tolerable VLT in the day time, still in the night it would clearly violate the prescribed VLT limits and would result in poor visibility, which again would be impermissible.

3.In terms of Rule 100(2), 70 per cent and 50 per cent VLT standard are relatable to the manufacture of the safety glasses for the windshields (front and rear) and the side windows respectively. Use of films or any other material upon the windscreen or the side windows is impermissible in law. It is the VLT of the safety glass without any additional material being pasted upon the safety glasses which must conform with manufacture specifications.

I guess the interpretation is - If the manufacturer tints the glasses during the process of production as per the VLT norms, it is LEGAL. Applying "sunfilm" of any VLT after buying a non tinted glass bearing "vehicle" is ILLEGAL!

There we go..

Last edited by Zen2001 : 9th May 2012 at 13:48.
Old 9th May 2012, 13:50   #1149
Senior - BHPian

I think there was a statement from the Police a couple of days ago that they don't have the meters to check VLT at the moment, and they are also very expensive to procure! So there may not be any immediate action on this front!
Old 9th May 2012, 14:00   #1150
BHPian

I personally donot see the logic of allowing OEM coloured glasses. If crimes can be carried out inside 'filmed' glasses, they could also be carried out inside factory tinted ones. Will the traffic policemen be able to make out from a distance whether it is tinted glass or factory manufactured coloured ones? In the case of oem coloured glases, they'll still have to stop the car and find out.
Old 9th May 2012, 14:02   #1151
BHPian

Going further - 3 % of total rapes happen in cars [European study]. What about the other 97 %? Whats next with the petitioner ?? Will he say to build the houses/all buildings of clear glass so that we can see if someone is not being raped??

Check this "Movement against SC ban on suncontrol films" on FB - https://www.facebook.com/movementaga...againstsc/info
Old 9th May 2012, 14:03   #1152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
Thus, on the plain reading of the Rule and the IS standards, use of black films of any density is impermissible. Another adverse aspect of use of black films is that even if they reflect tolerable VLT in the day time, still in the night it would clearly violate the prescribed VLT limits and would result in poor visibility, which again would be impermissible.

The material lets only the said % of light in. 100% VLT does not mean that the insides are visible all the time. At nights, visual light is less, so it may not be visible.

Agree with the rest of point though..
Old 9th May 2012, 14:12   #1153
BHPian

I am totally stumped and clueless. As per today's Time Of India - Bangalore edition. Bangalore traffic police have come out saying 70% VLT for front and rear glass and 50% VLT for side glasses are permitted. How this is achieved is not mentioned - through glass tinting or through sun film. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hope they allow 70% VLT for front & rear glass & 50% VLT for side glass using sun film. If they allow, then I will have to get the rear glass sun film changed to 70% VLT instead of 50% VLT presently installed. The best bet is to keep the car at home and commute around Bangalore in a bike till the sun film heat cools down.
Old 9th May 2012, 14:14   #1154
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to the Bangalore Traffic police. This is true citizen friendliness being shown by them.
1. They give a reasonable time frame of 14 days to citizens to remove their sunfilms
2. They organise a camp for 8-9 days at 10 key locations in the city, where citizens can come and get their sunfilms removed free of cost.

Great initiative by them. I will post my experience when I have got my films removed by them. Cheers..
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 14:16   #1155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram View Post
The material lets only the said % of light in. 100% VLT does not mean that the insides are visible all the time. At nights, visual light is less, so it may not be visible.

Agree with the rest of point though..
Exactly. The SC should have had the common sense to understand that humans are not cats or dogs that they would be able to see through a 100% VLT glass at night anyway!

The double standards though are baffling - if a car manufacturer reduces the VLT [within prescribed limits] it is legal, but if we do it [again within prescribed limits] by installing sunfilms it becomes illegal. The only excuse is the lack of lux-o-meters with the traffic/RTO police.

My options to the SC [& traffic/RTO police] - to make their job easier -

1. Ban all vehicles with windscreens/windows

2. Ban windscreens/windows aka convertibles [OK, atleast allow a windscreen]

3. Ban all women inside cars!!

By the way, we all know that these guys don't possess requisite speed guns to check overspeeding, especially on expressways. Why not ban having a speedometer altogether?

Or maybe ban all cars above 40 Bhp, that will not cross 80km/hr!

Man, I'm really ticked off.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed