Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2012, 14:19   #1156
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
Going further - 3 % of total rapes happen in cars [European study]. What about the other 97 %?
Exactly! Why not focus on the 97%. Eliminate that and then target the 3%!
Old 9th May 2012, 14:22   #1157
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston View Post
I am totally stumped and clueless. As per today's Time Of India - Bangalore edition. Bangalore traffic police have come out saying 70% VLT for front and rear glass and 50% VLT for side glasses are permitted. How this is achieved is not mentioned - through glass tinting or through sun film. I am keeping my fingers crossed and hope they allow 70% VLT for front & rear glass & 50% VLT for side glass using sun film. If they allow, then I will have to get the rear glass sun film changed to 70% VLT instead of 50% VLT presently installed. The best bet is to keep the car at home and commute around Bangalore in a bike till the sun film heat cools down.
Yeah, I was wondering too. But I just read the SC judgement (attached) and the last point clearly states, 'BLACK FILMS' of any VLT is not permitted on any car glasses, be it front/sides/safety/back.

That said am still not sure what TOI meant to say, I guess they're referring to the VLT specifications for OEM tinted glasses that the car companies will start offering now, probably as a feature!

I do have the 3M CR70 on the front windscreen which isn't Black and meets the 70% VLT specification! I am not going to rip that out come what may sighting this document. I have no choice to take down the CS50 on the rest of the glasses since they are black although they still meet the guidelines of 50% VLT specified.
Attached Files
File Type: doc CMVR Supreme Court Judgement.doc (62.5 KB, 370 views)
Old 9th May 2012, 14:33   #1158
BHPian

One guy files this stupid PIL and SC bans tints. Why not we file a "counter PIL" [may not be the right terminology, but you get my point] and get this idioicy revoked - for the sake of the "larger than large" public interest.

C'mon guys, this situation is just like that statement made [I think by cops in Canada??] that women should not wear revealing outfits to minimize risk of molestation!! How justified was that?

If the SC upholds the citizen's right to live, why not uphold the right to drive your car in COMFORT, if you can afford it?
Old 9th May 2012, 14:38   #1159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by csateesh View Post
Karthik

It cost 299 @ 3M RMV Second Stage.

I am worried abt the rear-defogger
I too had the same worry. However, I just removed the sunfilm from the rear window hoping that nothing would happen and it actually came off very easily without causing any damage. Mine was a 3M film. So you can try yourself. Also ensure you clean the glass well post removal with colin.

Last edited by nurni76 : 9th May 2012 at 14:40.
Old 9th May 2012, 14:41   #1160
BHPian

I think what film manufacturers will eventually do is show the authorities the beauty of cr70 and cr50 films. Since it is most government vehicles that use totally dark films. Hence it is common notion to "aam aadmi" that black film is quite the norm. Once everyone sees how magically cr70 films block sunlight without hampering night visibility maybe government vehicles will switch to it and then everyone else will also think ya cr70 type films are way cooler than black films and thus purchase them.

Lead by example then everyone follows.

Also i kindly request forum members not to indulge in bribing officers of the law. It only causes inconvenience to the next individual and the bribes just keep increasing for every individual. You may pay 100rs bribe to escape the hassle for the time being. This will increase to 150 for the next guy and so on and so forth till one day when you pass through the same road and have to pay 1000 or even more because the individual before you paid 900 bucks.

Everyone would have faced it at some point or the other. So Lets not start this vicious cycle cause one day our doings may return with interest to stab us in the back.

As for sun films, as of now nothing is allowed to be stuck on the glass till someone decides to file a stay order. Please do not listen to dealers and companies who say it is ok to put the sunfilm cause they wont reimburse us if we get challaned. The key here is to wait and watch. If the ruling is reversed we can then go ahead and add them to our cars.

Cheers!

Disclaimer: please do not feel offended by my words. They bear no such intention as to offend you.
Old 9th May 2012, 14:42   #1161
VSD
BHPian

Got pulled over by the Delhi police yesterday for tinted glass. The cop just wouldn't believe me that the tinted glass is provided by the company itself. I do not have any kind of after market sun films installed. He tried scraping on the edges to check for any kind of films. He gave up after a while and said the sides and rear glass has 50%vlt. (how does he know they are exactly 50% without checking?)

According to him side glass tint is fine but he wanted me to pay the fine for the supposedly 50%VLT on the rear glass instead of legally permitted 70%. I told him, i wouldn't pay fines for the glass provided by the company.

After arguing with him for 20+minutes. He suggested i should go to the company and ask them to change the rear glass to 70%VLT. I am pretty sure this wouldn't be possible without a hefty charge, and knowing VW, it's going to be a big one.

Attatching a picture of my car here. Is the tinted glass really that dark? I can easily see through this glass.
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-img_2222.jpg
Old 9th May 2012, 14:49   #1162
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Now they've a problem with the OEM glass too? How can they use assume the rear glass is 50% VLT without checking using a lux meter? This is just bullying!!
Old 9th May 2012, 14:49   #1163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I am hoping this won't be implemented with any seriousness in TN; our Amma (and the one at Kolkata) can thumb their noses at anybody, and are the only real men in power in India!
I am driving down to chennai this weekend with the tinted sun films on my car. What is the possibility of TN cops stopping me ?

Bangalore police have clearly given us time till 19th of May but not sure if other state police have given similar deadlines or not
Old 9th May 2012, 15:04   #1164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I am driving down to chennai this weekend with the tinted sun films on my car. What is the possibility of TN cops stopping me ?

Bangalore police have clearly given us time till 19th of May but not sure if other state police have given similar deadlines or not
I haven't seen any drive as yet in Chennai on this topic and no news in the local dailies, but I cant comment about the other towns. I would be driving out of Chennai this weekend so I am apprehensive on what the other town police are planning to do.

I hope your car does not have pitch black films that attract attention.
Old 9th May 2012, 15:11   #1165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indivic View Post
I haven't seen any drive as yet in Chennai on this topic and no news in the local dailies, but I cant comment about the other towns. I would be driving out of Chennai this weekend so I am apprehensive on what the other town police are planning to do.

I hope your car does not have pitch black films that attract attention.
I dont have pitch black, but then it is not 50% either. may be about 35%. I feel first the metro police will catch up followed by the smaller towns. So fingers crossed.
Old 9th May 2012, 15:16   #1166
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
Got pulled over by the Delhi police yesterday for tinted glass. The cop just wouldn't believe me that the tinted glass is provided by the company itself. I do not have any kind of after market sun films installed. He tried scraping on the edges to check for any kind of films. He gave up after a while and said the sides and rear glass has 50%vlt. (how does he know they are exactly 50% without checking?
WOW - Is the glass tint OE? Cant believe its so dark. You dont much choice except to prove everytime to cops that this is only OE glass and not a sunfilm. Changing all glasses from VW can set you back by a 2nd hand Polo I guess!

EDIT
The VLT rating along with brand and other details are usually etched at the bottom left or right of all automotive glasses. Please check and post here.

Last edited by svsantosh : 9th May 2012 at 15:17.
Old 9th May 2012, 15:19   #1167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
Now this is real bad, the rear has to be 70%, VW can't flout the law when they apply to RTO to road readiness clearance. You do not have a choice but to check with the VW spec in the manual. Carry the manual and dog ear clip the page to flash it if you get pulled up again.
Old 9th May 2012, 15:21   #1168
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 10th May 2012 at 20:17.
indivic is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th May 2012, 15:23   #1169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD
Got pulled over by the Delhi police yesterday for tinted glass. The cop just wouldn't believe me that the tinted glass is provided by the company itself. I do not have any kind of after market sun films installed. He tried scraping on the edges to check for any kind of films. He gave up after a while and said the sides and rear glass has 50%vlt. (how does he know they are exactly 50% without checking?)
Wow kudos to you sir for not bribing the officer. Being a veedub and a touareg at that im pretty sure its gonna cost a lot. You should perhaps get the dealer to verify the vlt of the glass. I however doubt that the vlt would be less than 70 as it oem and well within legal limits.

Note from Support - Please avoid quoting an entire long post as it inconveniences our mobile and small screen users.

Last edited by n_aditya : 9th May 2012 at 15:48. Reason: quoted text shortened
Old 9th May 2012, 15:26   #1170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Kudos to the Bangalore Traffic police. This is true citizen friendliness being shown by them.
1. They give a reasonable time frame of 14 days to citizens to remove their sunfilms
2. They organise a camp for 8-9 days at 10 key locations in the city, where citizens can come and get their sunfilms removed free of cost.

Great initiative by them. I will post my experience when I have got my films removed by them. Cheers..
hrman, Could you share the locations where they remove the car tints for free?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed