Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2012, 15:28   #1171
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
Got pulled over by the Delhi police yesterday for tinted glass.

Attatching a picture of my car here. Is the tinted glass really that dark? I can easily see through this glass.
Attachment 925240
Is this Touareg? If this is the version sold in India, it should have gone through homologation before approval to sell in India. In that case it should have VLT of 70%.

However, if this is a version sold elsewhere in another country and imported, you may have an issue. Nevertheless better check the manual and if the manual does not say it clearly, please seek clarification from VW India in writing. They may change at no cost if they sold you something that does not meet the law of the land.
Old 9th May 2012, 15:34   #1172
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

hello fellow BHpians from BLR, can we meet at some suitable place over the weekend and do a DIY on the dark sheet removal. We can use each others DIY skills?
Old 9th May 2012, 15:40   #1173
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Is this Touareg? If this is the version sold in India, it should have gone through homologation before approval to sell in India. In that case it should have VLT of 70%.
Cars above 40k USD don't need to undergo homogolation. The tint may be 50% but since it is tinted by the manufacturer I suggest nothing be done about it. VW will give you a totally clear rear windscreen and not 70%.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 15:58   #1174
Senior - BHPian

Here is petition to Supreme Court - SAVE AAM ADMI. Here is the rebut of point A-Z4 in the petition:
Quote:
A) ALTHOUGH BLACK FILMS CANNOT BY ITSELF COMMIT A CRIME BUT CAN EFFECTIVELY ASSIST IN MULTIPLE CRIMES RANGING FROM KIDNAPPING, MOLESTATION, RAPE, TRANSPORTATION OF ILLEGAL GOODS & WEAPONS, MOVEMENT OF CRIMINALS, IMMORAL ACTIVITIES, DRINKING LIQUOR IN VEHICLES – HENCE ENDANGERING THE LIVES OF THOSE INSIDE THE VEHICLE AS WELL AS OF THOSE WHO ARE OUTSIDE.
What are black films? People use sun films (with a recommended VLT) in their cars.
Quote:
B) DCP. / JT.COMM. OF POLICE – ST.THOMAS MOUNT DISTRICT, CHENNAI / AIRPORT 2 NEW DELHI / MADHAVARAM DISTRICT / AMBATTUR DISTRICT / HAUZ KHAS, NEW DELHI / KOLKATA / IGI AIRPORT, NEW DELHI HAVE CLEARLY EXPRESSED THEIR VIEWS REGARDING TINTED GLASS BEING THREAT TO SECURITY / KIDNAPPING / SMUGGLING / ESCAPE OF CRIMINALS / ASCERTAIN THE IDENTITY OF PERSON / MOLESTATION / RAPE / MURDER / ABDUCTION / ROBBERY.

C) DEPUTY COMMISSIONER OF POLICE – ST. THOMAS MOUNT, CHENNAI HAS CATEGORICALLY STATED THAT USE OF TINTED GLASS IN VEHICLES SHOULD BE BANNED.
Gurgaon DC has suggested women not to venture out after 8PM. Andra Pradesh DIG has suggested women not to dress provocatively, since it invites rape. People in public office of 3 or 4 cities have voiced their opinion. Do they have statistics to back their opinion? Should opinion of few individuals apply to whole country?
Quote:
D) COUNTRIES LIKE AFGHANISTAN / BELARUS / NIGERIA WHICH HAVE POLICE ALLOCATION AGAINST POPULATION SIMILAR TO INDIA, HAVE BANNED BLACK GLASSES IN VEHICLES.
Are these any 'Elite' group of countries? Should we even consider being part of that group?
Quote:
E) RULE 100 OF CENTRAL MOTOR VEHICLES RULE 1989 PROVIDES THAT GLASSES OF WINDSCREENS & REAR WINDOWS OF VEHICLES SHOULD HAVE A VISUAL LIGHT TRANSMISSION OF 70% & FOR SIDE WINDOWS IT SHOULD BE 50%.

HOWEVER THERE IS NO MENTION OF TINTED GLASSES & IT SPEAKS ABOUT SAFETY GLASSES ONLY.
Tinted glass is also a glass. Why does it require special mention?
Quote:
F) MONITORING OF COMPLIANCE TO THE 50%/70% CLAUSE BECOMES NON IMPLEMENTABLE DUE TO FOLLOWING FACTORS : -
1) LOWEST ALLOCATION OF POLICE TO POPULATION AS PER INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS.
2) HIGH RATE OF GROWTH OF VEHICLES.
3) NEGLIGIBLE AVAILABILITY OF THE DEVICE (LUXOMETER) TO CHECK VISIBILITY.
These points hold good for any traffic activity. Has traffic police stopped manning signals for these 3 reasons? Has RTO stopped registering new vehicles or issuing new DLs? Is movement of vehicles banned since police cannot ensure adherence to speed-limit? Issue of sun film is very trivial compared to other challenges faced by traffic police.
Quote:
G) "LUXOMETER" A DEVICE USED FOR CHECKING VISIBILITY PERCENTAGE OF TINTED GLASSES, IS AVAILABLE VERY RARELY WITH THE POLICE.
If police can stock 'breath analyzer' for DUI test, why not lux meter? Is alcohol banned in the country since police don't have 'breath analyzer's?
Quote:
H) DELHI POLICE DEPUTY COMMISSIONER (TRAFFIC-HQ) HAS ISSUED A DIRECTIVE DATED 25-05-2010, TO ALL DCSP/ACSP/TRAFFIC AND TIS NOT TO ISSUE CHALLANS FOR BLACK FILMS UNTIL LUXOMETER IS AVAILABLE TO CHECK THE VISIBILITY AND THE SAME AS WE MENTIONED IN THE REPLY BY (MR. PRABHAKAR) PIO DEPUTY COMMISSIONER OF POLICE (TRAFFIC HQ. DELHI).

I) DCP. JB TITO MARG / WESTERN RANGE – RAJOURI GARDEN / BANGLA SAHIB LANE, HAVE CONFIRMED THAT DUE TO SHORTAGE OF LUXOMETERS CHECKING IS BEING DONE MANUALLY.
The solution is to provide lux meter to police, not ban sun films.
Quote:
J) DCP. JB TITO MARG CONFIRMS THAT THERE IS NO PROCEDURE / RECORD TO CHECK HABITUAL OFFENDERS OF BLACK FILMS RULES.
Is have wrong VLT sun films such a great crime that police need to keep record & track offenders?
Quote:
K) VLT. MEANS VISUAL LIGHT TRANSMISSION.
Great (only factual statement in the petition)
Quote:
L) IT IS PERTINENT TO MENTION THAT THE WORD "TINTED" MEANS SHADE OR HUE AS PER THE DICTIONARY MEANING. THE REAR, FRONT AND SIDE WINDOW GLASSES OF VEHICLES ARE PROVIDED WITH SUCH SHADOW OR TINT THEREFORE THEY ARE REFERRED WIDELY AS "TINTED GLASSES", HOWEVER; IT WOULD BE APPROPRIATE TO TERM IT AS "BLACK FILM". THE VEHICLES HAVE BLACK SHADOW ON THEIR GLASSES OWING TO THE FACT THAT THOSE GLASSES RECEIVE COATING OF BLACK FILM. THUS, A TINTED GLASS CANNOT BE PRODUCED BY THE MANUFACTURERS; RATHER THEY RECEIVE COATING OF BLACK FILM AFTER THE VEHICLES ROLL OUT OF PRODUCTION UNITS.
There is difference between color shades & black. Why call it 'black film'? It is not 0% VLT to be called as black.
Quote:
M) THE PERCENTAGE OF VISIBILITY OF TINTED GLASS CANNOT BE JUDGED BY A NAKED EYE.
Right.
Quote:
N) INDIA IS CALLED "THE DUST CAPITAL OF THE WORLD" AND BLACK FILMS ALONG WITH DUST SEVERELY REDUCE VISIBILITY.
Quite funny. Who gave the title/award/sobriquet to India? Having 10 year driving experience with sun films (in urban & rural India), it is news to me that 'normal driving' in India is with 'reduced visibility' due to dust.
Quote:
O) DURING WINTERS VISIBILITY IS REDUCED AND TINTED GLASSES ADD TO IT.
Reduced visibility is due to fog/smog/rain, not sun films.
Quote:
P) BLACK GLASS RESULTS IN LOWER VISIBILITY DURING NIGHTS RESULTING IN MORE ACCIDENTS.
As per RTO, 70% front VLT is good, either tinted glass or sun films. What is the problem here?
Quote:
Q) THE FACTOR OF LIMITED VISIBILITY (50% & 70%) IS CONTRIBUTIVE OF PARTIAL TO FULL OPAQUENESS – ESPECIALLY DURING ADVERSE WEATHER CONDITIONS.
70% is light transmitted, not blocked. Repeat of Point (O).
Quote:
R) TERRORISM IS PREVALENT ALL OVER THE NATION, ONLY THE MAGNITUDE DIFFERS ACROSS REGIONS.
Did any terrorist come in a car which doesn't comply with RTO recommended VLT? For argument sake, with transparent glass, terrorist can see the police & hide.
Quote:
S) VIPS. CAN THEMSELVES BE HELD AT RANSOM UNDER THE COVER OF TINTED GLASSES.
Very funny
Quote:
T) VIP. VEHICLES ARE EASILY IDENTIFIED BY RED LIGHT AND NUMBER PLATES AND HENCE BLACK GLASSES PROVIDE NEGLIGIBLE PROTECTION.
Looking forward for removing tints from Govt vehicles !
Quote:
U) THERE HAVE BEEN MULTIPLE INSTANCES OF ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES AND GOVT. SERVANTS INDULGING IN CRIMINAL ACTIVITY AND EXTENSION OF BLACK FILMS TO THEIR VEHICLES WILL AID THEM IN COMMITTING THE CRIMES.
Thanks for equating elected reps, Govt employees with common man.
Quote:
V) IN THE CURRENT PETITION WE ARE PRAYING FOR 100% VISUAL LIGHT TRANSMISSION.
Thats very noble. But what about protection from glare, UV. etc
Quote:
W) CRIMINALS WILL BE EASILY IDENTIFIED IF THE VEHICLES HAVE 100% VLT.
Is retina scanner installed at every signal, which scans occupants of of car? Or police have memorized faces of all criminals? What if a criminal travels in bus? Are buses included in your fight against 'Black film'?
Quote:
X) THE SECURITY OF THE COUNTRY ALONG WITH THE RIGHT TO LIFE OF THE CITIZENS MUST BE GUARANTEED.
Agree 100%.
Quote:
Y) MULTIPLE INSTANCES OF RAPE & MOLESTATION HAVE BEEN REPORTED IN CARS WITH TINTED GLASSES AND MORE SPECIFICALLY IN THE NATIONAL CAPITAL TOO, WHICH HAS THE BEST POLICE ALLOCATION AS A PERCENTAGE OF POPULATION IN THE NATION. EVEN IN THE WEEK STARTING 04/07/2011 AN
INSTANCE OF RAPE INSIDE A VEHICLE, WAS REPORTED IN THE NATIONAL CAPITAL.
80% of all rapes are committed by someone known to the victim. Why target a small percentage that happens in a car?
Quote:
Z) THE RESPONDENTS ARE MINISTRY OF HOME AFFAIRS & MINISTRY OF TRANSPORT.

Z1) THE RTI. QUERIES WHICH WERE RAISED ARE CLEARLY MENTIONED IN THE PAGES "60" & "61".

Z2) WRITTEN SUBMISSION WITH INPUTS SIMILAR TO THE PETITION, WERE MADE BOTH TO THE HOME MINISTRY & PRIME MINISTERS OFFICE IN JUNE 2010.
HOWEVER NO REPLY WAS RECEIVED.

Z3) ALONG WITH VEHICLES ROADS TOO HAVE INCREASED IN VERY HIGH PERCENTAGE.
Sun films, I mean your 'black films' is a trivial matter. Probably why you didn't receive any reply.
Quote:
Z4) SOME CAR OWNERS COMPLAIN THAT TINTED GLASS CONTRIBUTE TO THE COOLING OF VEHICLES - BUT FIRSTLY ONLY THOSE WHO USE AIR CONDITIONING DO PULL UP THE GLASSES & AIR CONDITIONING PROVIDES COOLING ANY WAYS & FURTHER IF COOLING WAS AN ISSUE, THEN ONLY SILVER & WHITE CARS WOULD HAVE SOLD, SINCE THEY ABSORB THE LEAST HEAT AND ALSO INCREASE NIGHT VISIBILITY OF VEHICLE, HENCE MAKING THEM LEAST PRONE TO ACCIDENTS !!
How to cut glare with AC? How to get protected from UV? Also, color of car & AC cooling are unrelated. There is no data that AC is effective in silver or white color cars. So essentially, you are presenting wrong data to court.

Last edited by msdivy : 9th May 2012 at 16:07.
msdivy is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 16:02   #1175
BHPian

I heard there are 100% visibility sun film which cuts out the heat but allows light. Is this true? If yes, can someone share brands and costs. 3M does not have anything like this. 70% visibility is their maximum.
Old 9th May 2012, 16:05   #1176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramki067 View Post
hrman, Could you share the locations where they remove the car tints for free?
Police Department
Bangalore City Traffic Police
Press Note
Date: 09-05-2012.

The Hon’ble Supreme Court of India in W.P. No. 265/2011 has prohibited the use of black films or any other material upon the Safety Glasses, Windscreen (Front and Rear) and Side Glasses of vehicles and also directed the police to ensure compliance of the directions from 04-05-2012. In the light of the above mentioned Judgement and directions, Bangalore City traffic Police has provided a period of 15 day for the owner/Drivers of the vehicle to remove any film/material from the safety glass(Windscreen, Side glass) of their vehicles voluntarily,
The 15 days time limit will expire on 19-05-2012, thereafter a special drive will be conducted for prosecuting the violators of the direction issued by the Hon’ble Supreme Court. Vehicle owners/Drivers can avail the services of Special centres for removal of such film/materials from the safety glasses situated at the following locations
B R V Grounds, Shivajinagar
City Armed Reserve (South) Grounds, Audugodi
City Armed Reserve (Headquarters) Grounds, Mysore Road
Malleshwaram Grounds, Malleshwaram
Madhavan Park, Jayanagar
Toll Plaza, Bangalore International Airport Road
Yelahanka Police Station
B D A Complex, Indranagar
East Footbal Grounds, Frazertown.
Near Kanteerava Stadium
The above centres will be functional from 10-05-2012, between 9.00 AM to 6.00 PM and Owners/Drivers of the vehicles can avail the services, within the stipulated time period for removal the films free of cost from their respective vehicles.

FaceBook Link is https://www.facebook.com/notes/banga...39883172744063
vivek.ks is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 16:08   #1177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raamki View Post
Yeah, I was wondering too. But I just read the SC judgement (attached) and the last point clearly states, 'BLACK FILMS' of any VLT is not permitted on any car glasses, be it front/sides/safety/back.

That said am still not sure what TOI meant to say, I guess they're referring to the VLT specifications for OEM tinted glasses that the car companies will start offering now, probably as a feature!

I do have the 3M CR70 on the front windscreen which isn't Black and meets the 70% VLT specification! I am not going to rip that out come what may sighting this document. I have no choice to take down the CS50 on the rest of the glasses since they are black although they still meet the guidelines of 50% VLT specified.
It's so frustrating. Supreme Court order says any kind of film is not allowed and the cops in Bangalore say 70% VLT & 50% VLT without clarifying if it's with film or for tinted glass
Even I have 3M CR70 on the front windscreen and 3M CS50 on all the other glasses. In the worst scenario, will have no other option to remove 3M CS50, but will not remove CR70.
I have decided to commute around Bangalore from 20th May on a bike. Just trying to hang on to the CR70 & CS50 sun film installed in my car.
Old 9th May 2012, 16:23   #1178
BHPian

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-a16newhyundaii20sideview.jpg
An i20 with the rear 3 quarters tinted and the front with clear glass.

I've seen cars in the UK with tints on only the rear 3 quarters. The front driver and passenger sides have to have mandatory clear glass. The SC should have considered this option before banning tints on all sides.

My aveo uva runs this format. I don't have a picture of it though. It would have made more sense than banning them on all sides. If this idea was adopted the drivers and people inside would be pretty visible from the front windscreen while it provided at least some relief from the overall heat.

I am surprised, the decision of the SC seems rash and hurried.

Last edited by lionell : 9th May 2012 at 16:27. Reason: spell check
Old 9th May 2012, 16:27   #1179
Senior - BHPian

Read a few pages back about the Bangalore traffic police giving people time to remove films as well as setting up camps to help in removing the film. This is so much better and BTP is acting like educated fellows compared to Delhi police who are acting like evil minds where in they are only interested in minting money by ripping off films and challaning people. They neither gave people time nor set up any camps to remove films.

Instead of hiding behind trees they are now standing on roads proudly with their eagle eyes searching for cars with films.
They can allow company tinted 70% VLT but cant allow sunfims with same 70% VLT because these fellows dont have equipments to measure the VLT, so that these policemen arent inconvenienced they have passed a bogus rule about removing each and every sun films, a PIL filed about this brilliant company tint but no sun film rule should put to shame such orders and its makers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
Attatching a picture of my car here. Is the tinted glass really that dark? I can easily see through this glass.
The rear glass looks quite dark for 70% VLT but leave it as it is. Next time some one stops you, tell them this is what the company has provided, there is no film, you can do nothing about it and do tell the cop the cost of this car (just kidding)
Old 9th May 2012, 17:47   #1180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I am driving down to chennai this weekend with the tinted sun films on my car. What is the possibility of TN cops stopping me ?
No action seen in Chennai so far. Therefore possibly none at the provinces as well.
Old 9th May 2012, 18:16   #1181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
An i20 with the rear 3 quarters tinted and the front with clear glass.

I've seen cars in the UK with tints on only the rear 3 quarters. The front driver and passenger sides have to have mandatory clear glass. The SC should have considered this option before banning tints on all sides.

My aveo uva runs this format. I don't have a picture of it though. It would have made more sense than banning them on all sides. If this idea was adopted the drivers and people inside would be pretty visible from the front windscreen while it provided at least some relief from the overall heat.

I am surprised, the decision of the SC seems rash and hurried.
I agree 100%. My car are also done that way. Sunfilms only on the rear 3 glasses. This should have been allowed by the SC.

Is there a way to suggest this to the powers that be?
Old 9th May 2012, 19:25   #1182
BANNED

Today I got caught & cops asked me to pay 100 for fine, I did & I said don't remove rear film due to defogger so they asked for 100 more so I have choice so I gave him 200(100 for challan & 100 for not removing defogger film).
Removing film on the spot is very cruel way :(
How about we guys(t-bhpian) hire a advocate & file the case ? (We can contribute whatever it costs).
unknown is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 19:26   #1183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitmoses View Post
I heard there are 100% visibility sun film which cuts out the heat but allows light. Is this true? If yes, can someone share brands and costs. 3M does not have anything like this. 70% visibility is their maximum.
There's a brand V-Kool which have 95% VLT and cut heat by upto 90% (as claimed by dealer). But it's very expensive. According to him, it would cost around 20K for side & rear glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vharihar View Post
I agree 100%. My car are also done that way. Sunfilms only on the rear 3 glasses. This should have been allowed by the SC.

Is there a way to suggest this to the powers that be?
File a review petition I guess. Not sure how to do that but if we are so adversely affected by this, we must.
Old 9th May 2012, 19:47   #1184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asr245 View Post
There's a brand V-Kool which have 95% VLT and cut heat by upto 90% (as claimed by dealer). But it's very expensive. According to him, it would cost around 20K for side & rear glass.
Even that doesn't help in this situation right? The court order says only factory tinted glass is legal, any sort of film is not! So even if there is 100% light transmitted, that would still count as illegal.
Old 9th May 2012, 20:54   #1185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Even that doesn't help in this situation right? The court order says only factory tinted glass is legal, any sort of film is not! So even if there is 100% light transmitted, that would still count as illegal.
But the point is if anything is beyond 90% VLT, how do the cop catches him? They are not stopping all cars, and its tough to determine if there are films, if those are more than 90% VLT.

OT - Enough of talking, now can we BHPians agree and join togather and file a review in full bench? I am sure cost will not be much if we all pull in. If people are interested, we can start another thread to discuss the same.
asdon is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks