Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2012, 09:55   #1201
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
This would be a wonderful initiative from team-bhp as a whole. Please do count me in and let me know of the progress as well.

70/50 is definitely the best way to go; infact most installers recommend the full transparent film for the front windshield as even the slightest tint could impair visibility.

Nitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cents View Post
Contributing money is the easiest part. How do we carry this forward! We need some one (or a few more) to dedicate their time. Any volunteers, lawyers especially, around here from ND?!
Count me in as well. How much would this cost? I am ready to put my share for this cause. Being a software engineer and someone who does not know the local language, I might not be of any help for the legal aspects, though.
Old 10th May 2012, 10:03   #1202
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Any idea whether they will be doing this with the help of professionals or they peel off themselves?
It is better to get it done professionally through 3M or similar outlets!

Cheers!
Old 10th May 2012, 10:12   #1203
BHPian

Asuming there is an average sale of cars 60000 (conservative) and 50000 cars put sunfilm on an average , calculating VAT at 10% and average cost of sunfilm at Rs 3000 translates to a tax collection of 18 crores per year to the respective governments. At this price they rather well buy the VLT checking devices a one time cost, check VLT in cars stopped and then do the peeling. The same should be proposed to the Courts and government (central and state)
Old 10th May 2012, 10:16   #1204
BHPian

So what are Bangalore guys doing? My tints are 50% side and 70% rear. Should i peel it off or wait? Really confused :(
Old 10th May 2012, 10:36   #1205
Distinguished - BHPian

If you have done the tints at 3M, on producing the bills, they offer to remove them free of cost (on producing the bill).

Cheers!
Old 10th May 2012, 10:37   #1206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post

OT - Enough of talking, now can we BHPians agree and join togather and file a review in full bench? I am sure cost will not be much if we all pull in. If people are interested, we can start another thread to discuss the same.
Count me in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Count me in.Lawyer would be no problem as my grand father is a retired justice and my father is a lawyer
Manikjeet, you need to guide, what is expected from all of us?
aditya@pune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 10:47   #1207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Count me in.Lawyer would be no problem as my grand father is a retired justice and my father is a lawyer

All right. So we have someone who can help with legal stuff. I am in NCR so does that help in anyway in filing a review petition?

First things first - what kind of information should be put up along with the petition so that SC considers it? Technical information? Survey information? Any alternate suggestions? What do they look for in a reasonable review petition? And how do you go about filing it?
Old 10th May 2012, 11:04   #1208
BHPian

Manikjeet, thanks a ton for comming up, hope you have the Judgement copy, can you check with you Dad+grand Dad, how to proceed with points against the ban, the PIL only presented the Crime aspect, but no technical information provided; And technically if VLT % is the last word how does it differ from a 70% VLT Tinted glass or 70% VLT sunfilm on 100% clear glass? We will look forward for your extended support.

And Guys who are in NCR, they can help on actual filing, and if everything goes as per plan I am also comming down to Delhi to join you guys.
Old 10th May 2012, 11:19   #1209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon009 View Post
So what are Bangalore guys doing? My tints are 50% side and 70% rear. Should i peel it off or wait? Really confused :(
If you have 50/70, then dont do anything. Worst that can happen is they will remove it themselves. At best, you'll get away.

I have got messages from A.S.S.'s that they now offer 70/50 spec sheets, in line with CMRV requirements.
Old 10th May 2012, 11:31   #1210
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Manikjeet you must probably start a new thread IMO (mods pls clarify if it has to be done differently) to garner all the possible supporters for this cause. It may help with a voting option with the members names to be displayed as an option. This may also help in the future if the authorities ask for the supporters list or number of signups for the cause.

It would also be good to point out so that we TBHPians are ready to help-
  1. What kind of resources needed (manpower / monetary)?
  2. What are the next steps involved?
  3. Where and when should this review petition be filed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Manikjeet, thanks a ton for comming up, hope you have the Judgement copy, can you check with you Dad+grand Dad, how to proceed with points against the ban, the PIL only presented the Crime aspect, but no technical information provided; And technically if VLT % is the last word how does it differ from a 70% VLT Tinted glass or 70% VLT sunfilm on 100% clear glass?
Great point there asdon, we should tackle this issue with supporting facts and logic as above and also in terms of the VLT% etc and not directly hit on the crime aspect which has been indicated by them which has some standing on its own merit. This would strengthen our stand and help them modify or amend the rules so that it allows the right kind of tint to continued. Rest of the illegal tints can go or replaced by the correct ones.

Last edited by girishglg : 10th May 2012 at 11:33.
girishglg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 11:37   #1211

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Why this alacrity on this?

If such an effort was put into national use of seat belts, bike helmets by all passengers (and not more than two on a bike), headlight use, lane discipline and speed, India could be changed for the better and safer in ...a month?

So why this one?
I had the same question.

But then, upon thinking realized that this rule (however stupid it maybe) affects only the tax paying and usually compliant "middle" class Indians. They may crib, but if forced will only meekly comply with the law. Whereas other laws like drunken driving, signal violations, helmet-less driving, rash driving and other umpteen offenses will likely involve them with not so easy targets with far lesser "gains".

Siggghhhh.....how I wish the judiciary and cops would act in the same iron hand when dealing with more important traffic and road laws. Then maybe the state of Indian roads will slightly become safer. But then......
intothewild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 11:38   #1212
BHPian

Quote:
Now if you can guide us, and especially indicate the expense we are looking at, we can start immediately. I think the best way would be for the mods to open an account, or provide details to an existing one, for the purpose. A counter can be set here in this thread, that keeps track of the sum collected. I believe this would do.
Old 10th May 2012, 11:44   #1213
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys in BLR:

Got word through friends: ACP has said that BTP will be looking at all sun-film. Irrespective of VLT.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 11:51   #1214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys in BLR:

Got word through friends: ACP has said that BTP will be looking at all sun-film. Irrespective of VLT.
Does that mean TOI can be sued now for printing wrong information. They even quoted an official about 50/70 VLT being permitted.
Old 10th May 2012, 11:52   #1215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys in BLR:

Right , that's what it appears from this article
No blanket ban on tinted glasses
Closed Thread

Most Viewed