Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2012, 17:37   #1246
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

While browsing for some alternate solutions, I came across this VKool product :
http://www.v-kool.com/pdf/vkJ60Series.pdf

They have a product called J83 which has 83% VLT.

Now, if I use 83% VLT film on my ride, how will anyone find out if I have "Sun Film"?

I guess I am trying to find loopholes! however, with such a film, I get 99% UV protection + 33% heat rejection. How does this option sound?
Old 10th May 2012, 17:44   #1247
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqualeo2040 View Post
Now, if I use 83% VLT film on my ride, how will anyone find out if I have "Sun Film"?

I guess I am trying to find loopholes! however, with such a film, I get 99% UV protection + 33% heat rejection. How does this option sound?
they'll stop your vehicle, scrape the glass with a pen knife to check whether any sin film is on it. then they'll gather around and sing.. Watcha gonna do when we come for you, bad boys, bad boys?..

PS: pun intended
IronH4WK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 18:13   #1248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Yeah, wanted to stop my car & check for myself but the problem is i have 50% 3M on the sides & rear, so worried to even slow my car at the junction.
Hello Aninash,

If the Drive has started in Mumbai, then it is really bad news for all of us. But I still doubt because there is no official announcement from Mumbai RTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
Guys,

a quick question. Attached are pics of my Punto. I am driving to Nasik - Pune & Mumbai on saturday morning for a week.
Hello h@r$h@l,

Driving from Gujarat, you will anyways bypass Mumbai, so there will be no issue. Also I don't think so that the drive has started in Nashik yet. Yes, but there were some reports from Pune where the drive against Black & dark Sunfilms has started.

I understand that we will all have to remove Sunfils of this new Supreme Court rulling if applied across the Country. But till that time I have a suggestion for you:
Get a written note from your Sunfilm dealer that Film on your Car is within limits & RTO approved. Also if you are caught in Pune, you can always say that the notification is not yet applied in Gujarat & you will do the needful once you reach your hometown.

Frankly speaking I feel there is no urgent need to remove your Sunfilms.

Thanks,
Old 10th May 2012, 18:20   #1249
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
they'll stop your vehicle, scrape the glass with a pen knife to check whether any sin film is on it. then they'll gather around and sing.. Watcha gonna do when we come for you, bad boys, bad boys?..

Here's another idea. Dont clean the side & rear glass ! Let the dust accumulate. So you will have a natural "tint". I am sure the SC will not pass an order saying that it is criminal to not clean car windows
condor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 18:27   #1250
Distinguished - BHPian

Just crossed a barriade before Qutab Minar Metro traffic signal, Traffic Police was busy scanning each and every car, film was being torn off on the spot.
Old 10th May 2012, 18:48   #1251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Just crossed a barriade before Qutab Minar Metro traffic signal, Traffic Police was busy scanning each and every car, film was being torn off on the spot.
True, even i crossed the same check post an hour ago and police there are enjoying the weather and cash together.
Old 10th May 2012, 18:56   #1252
VSD
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parthasarathig View Post
Wow kudos to you sir for not bribing the officer. Being a veedub and a touareg at that im pretty sure its gonna cost a lot. You should perhaps get the dealer to verify the vlt of the glass. I however doubt that the vlt would be less than 70 as it oem and well within legal limits.
I contacted the VW workshop to know if they had any idea about the vlt of the rear glass. The answer was no, which i was pretty sure about. Further asking them for changing the glass to a clear one wouldn't be possible either as they don't keep them in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
The rear glass looks quite dark for 70% VLT but leave it as it is. Next time some one stops you, tell them this is what the company has provided, there is no film, you can do nothing about it and do tell the cop the cost of this car (just kidding)
The tinted glass is definitely darker than 70%, and like you said, there is nothing i can do about it. He never asked me for any sort of documents or even checked my license, he just wanted me to pay up for the tinted glass. I could have handed him few bucks and got out of ther but i knew i wasn't wrong so i didn't. He probably knew i wasn't going to pay so before leaving he became all friendly, was chatting to me about what car and how much it is? etc etc..

The best part about that day; my car was covered in dust, so he couldn't see thru at all. He asked me to wipe it, i said no, i wont get my hands dirty. Instead i handed him the cloth and he was nicely wiping the side and the rear glass while i stood there and watched. It just felt funny that a cop was wiping my car.

Last edited by VSD : 10th May 2012 at 19:09.
Old 10th May 2012, 19:12   #1253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post

Here's another idea. Dont clean the side & rear glass ! Let the dust accumulate. So you will have a natural "tint". I am sure the SC will not pass an order saying that it is criminal to not clean car windows
I hope that was a joke Condor , however it's as simple as this. Either get the tints off your cars and drive peacefully till the order gets reversed and get them back again (Money should not be an issue as according to the govt we're all pretty rich).

Or live with the tints and bear the consequences (fine, scraping of tints etc).

Not sure about people like me whose cars come pretinted fromt he manufacturer and i doubt they will belive us if we state that at a check post, which means they will foolishly scratch the glass and ofcourse like i said we're all rich, we'll afford that too.

Cheers!
Old 10th May 2012, 19:57   #1254
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

On the contrary, i think this can get you fined. Motor vehicle acts already says that the windows and glasses need to be kept clean so that it doesn't hamper vision. I was stopped long back in Kerala for driving around with a very dirty car Was left off with a warning.
Jaggu is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 20:05   #1255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Motor vehicle acts already says that the windows and glasses need to be kept clean so that it doesn't hamper vision. I was stopped long back in Kerala for driving around with a very dirty car Was left off with a warning.
Exactly why i like T-Bhp! There is always someone out there who knows the law, the facts. Who would think that a dirty car can lead to trouble with the law.
Old 10th May 2012, 20:12   #1256
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
On the contrary, i think this can get you fined. Motor vehicle acts already says that the windows and glasses need to be kept clean so that it doesn't hamper vision. I was stopped long back in Kerala for driving around with a very dirty car Was left off with a warning.
Jaggu - front w/s - or all windows ? I was refering only to side & rear.

Btw, were you OTR'ing then too ?
Old 10th May 2012, 20:17   #1257
BHPian

Quote:

If it matters i have treated the above in a lighter vein but for someone who wants to follow the same literally (many examples abound) please read further.

In your method, you are equally at a disadvantage of visibility being hampered.

Do i recall reading somewhere that whoever is driving/owner has to maintain it in the same condition either in the CMVR or this judgement or both? That means you must not use any means to bring down VLT.

Instead i recommend that you wax and shine the windows and see if it enhances or compensates for the lack of privacy but a shining window is more likely to throw off heat rather than a dusty one. This way your VLT is not compromised in the direction that was originally intended for the benefit of the mango person till this fiasco came along.

To further add to the humor of making this originally (quoted) suggested obstruction method permanent, i suggest the following steps of DIY.
1. Dilute water soluble fevicol and apply with a cloth to your windows.
2.Take care to see that it does not get into the door below. You can tape the bottom most part of the window and the door to avoid the excess paste run into the door.
3. Disclaimer:The steps above and below are meant only for humour. I do not accept any responsibility if you decide to try this literally.
4. blow fine dust which you can find in abundance in any part of india. Alternatively just carry out the process while standing at the side of an under construction road which can also be found easily or better drive with the glass closed on the said dirt road.
5. Take care to see that you do not venture out in rain or remove the protective tape or employ a friendly neighbourhood cleaner who might forget.
6. Added benefits of the above steps: a) any thief will think twice before getting his costly clothes dirty. b)Same will be the case of a 2 wheeler who will otherwise give you creeps while trying to rightfully claim the 10 inches of public space between you and the vehicle alongside. So a little more peace of mind. If you decide to do this with the whole car, you will be the king of the road. You will also have magically made all the dents/scratches vanish into thin air.
If you suffer from the complexion of inferiority due to the above, just intentionally stick out one of the tags that is attached to a international traveller's suitcase from either sides of your car. I'm sure most would have a few

Last edited by optimist : 10th May 2012 at 20:19.
optimist is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 20:41   #1258
BHPian

Got stopped by the police at Pune Univ Chowk in the morning, and he pulled out a magic meter which told him my film gave a reading of 22, whereas it should be 50 or more.

:(

Now I guess I have to strip it off... privacy isnt that big a issue, but having to tear it off certainly is! Can anyone suggest a good place to get the film removed, and maybe fitted with something that is within limit, AND also good at keeping out the heat? Please suggest urgently.. before the police get tired and I change my mind!
Old 10th May 2012, 20:46   #1259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb
Got stopped by the police at Pune Univ Chowk in the morning, and he pulled out a magic meter which told him my film gave a reading of 22, whereas it should be 50 or more.

:(

Now I guess I have to strip it off... privacy isnt that big a issue, but having to tear it off certainly is! Can anyone suggest a good place to get the film removed, and maybe fitted with something that is within limit, AND also good at keeping out the heat? Please suggest urgently.. before the police get tired and I change my mind!
Till now the judgement says nothing of any possible VLT can be stuck to the windows and winshields of a vehicle.
Only OEM fitted tinted windows with legal VLT 50% for sides and 70% front and rear are allowed.
Till any further changes in the judgement, you cannot as of now put any sun films on the windows/windshields of a vehicle.
Youd have to remove yours since they are way below the permissible limit as said above and wait till any new changes are made to the judgement.

No sunfilms as of now. Period.

On another note, so Pune police have started using lux meters and also according to your post they are allowing the permissible limits already prescribed in the CMVR. Thats Very thoughtful of them. Nice.

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 10th May 2012 at 20:48.
Parthasarathig is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 20:48   #1260
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Exactly why i like T-Bhp! There is always someone out there who knows the law, the facts. Who would think that a dirty car can lead to trouble with the law.

Quote:
Jaggu - front w/s - or all windows ? I was refering only to side & rear.

Btw, were you OTR'ing then too ?
Side and rear window covered in muck due to almost 2 weeks of constant driving on highways during rains. Front windhield wiper area alone was clean.

They were not complaining about the car but windows to be specific.

Last edited by Jaggu : 10th May 2012 at 20:49.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks