Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th May 2012, 21:00   #1261
BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

As someone who loves the look of his black SUV with tinted glasses, I hate this ruling. I hate having to peel it off.

But if I keep that aside, it is a pretty sensible ruling. Just the fact that so many of us use dark tinted glasses doesn't make it alright. Yes, we cannot blame every rape and terror attack on tinted glasses, but I am sure a LOT of it will get curbed.

No point blaming the police and accusing them of corruption, when all they are doing is implementing a Supreme Court ruling. The fine right now is just 100 anyway - why does one have to grease palms? And if you do not have tinted glasses, why would the police stop you anyway?
siddheshb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 21:22   #1262
AWD
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Gave into the pressure, got sunfilm removed from my car. Cops in our City had just gone bonkers with challans, for sometime I drove with windows rolled down but its peak summer & difficult driving without A.C.

Though the film was light & insides/occupants could be easily seen. Still played it safe, did not want to waste time arguing with low IQ policemen.
AWD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 21:25   #1263
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor
Here's another idea. Dont clean the side & rear glass ! Let the dust accumulate. So you will have a natural "tint". I am sure the SC will not pass an order saying that it is criminal to not clean car windows
I know this comment was made in jest, but the law clearly states something like "... windows have to be such and maintained in such a state that ...", so a very industrious cop might pull you up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu
On the contrary, i think this can get you fined. Motor vehicle acts already says that the windows and glasses need to be kept clean so that it doesn't hamper vision. I was stopped long back in Kerala for driving around with a very dirty car Was left off with a warning.
The resident car cleaner bunked work on the day when I visited the RTO to get my car registered. To top that, it was August and the monsoon + bad roads + heavy trucks (NH9 between home and RTO) + black car meant that the car was in a really terrible state when the MVI came around. This was a strict (and easily put-off) bloke, and he flatly refused to inspect the car at first, saying he couldn't make out whether the car was "fit or not" for road use (and consequently, registration).

After a lot of begging and pleading he finally gave in, but at the time it did feel like 4 hrs of waiting gone down the drain.

By the way, it looks like so far I'm the only "lucky" guy to have been caught and fined INR 1000 on the very first day. I had never seen cops at that junction over the previous 8 months I've been here, and none since May 4. Anyone else get luckier than me?

Regards,
spadix
Old 10th May 2012, 22:26   #1264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix
By the way, it looks like so far I'm the only "lucky" guy to have been caught and fined INR 1000 on the very first day. I had never seen cops at that junction over the previous 8 months I've been here, and none since May 4. Anyone else get luckier than me?

Regards,
spadix
I know how that feels. Guess im the only bloke here who got fined for not wearing the seat belts :

Btw anyone's got their films removed from bangalore traffic police's camps? Was the work professionally done or just some guy and a blade trying his hands out at film surgery?
Anyone has been charged by 3m for removal of film? If so how much was the fee?

Thanks.
Old 10th May 2012, 23:02   #1265
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Kudos to Bangalore Traffic police...
They have arranged camp across the City till 19th of this month to remove your film.
They have also said the fine amount for the violation after the dates.
100, 300, 300 + License Cancel.
Old 10th May 2012, 23:07   #1266
BHPian

Re: Front windscreen sunfilm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
ya i guess so, did you put tints on your a4?
Yes dear, though the glasses are pre - tinted but i also put vkool's installed by Audi itself.
Old 10th May 2012, 23:18   #1267
Senior - BHPian

^^ Please don't hurry to tear up your film. Better wait and watch. Avoid taking the car out for a while if necessary. This may die a natural death after some time and you will feel sorry.
Old 10th May 2012, 23:45   #1268
Distinguished - BHPian

What is happening to the industry, for goodness sake?

Yes, I know film for cars is not all they make and sell, but I don't imagine they like having that market destroyed.

Why are they not putting up an immediate fight?
Old 11th May 2012, 00:16   #1269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The only reasoning i could apply is that they are sitting on the sidelines munching popcorns with pepsi while we crib over it and see our hard earned money getting ripped off -

1. The sun film companies are on a wait n watch scenario. What they are losing out at present is only new customers who recently bought or are buying their cars which ultimately if the ruling gets reversed would again rush back to shops to get films (no business lost in this part, they get their money albeit a little late)

2. Part 2 consists people like me, you and all others who have already spent a good sum of money on legal tints from reputed companies which cost a bomb. Half of such people will remove films themselves (my dad did) the rest half will get challaned and films removed on the spot.

After a month or two when the rule again states that 50 and 70 VLT is allowed on side and rear respectively, we will again go to these companies for installing films.

What sun film companies get is money from both 1 and 2 and 2 has significant no. of cars so they get their money twice, govt also gets its money in the form of challans and we are left banging our heads against the wall.

The checking in Delhi is quite extensive, barricades around Dwarka and many other places where they are checking each and every car for the films, be wary guys.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 11th May 2012 at 00:33.
Old 11th May 2012, 00:30   #1270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom
What is happening to the industry, for goodness sake?

Yes, I know film for cars is not all they make and sell, but I don't imagine they like having that market destroyed.

And we should not forget that not being able to sell sunfilms will not affect the fiscal bottomlines of major companies such as 3m who are a conglomerate of businesses such as scotch tape, sun films, car care, medical equipments to name a few.

So even if the sunfilm law is not reversed, these companies can resort to other products or can aquire other small firms to reimburse their fiscal deficits.

It is only we the common man who stand to lose both ways in this ordeal. Sadly certain "petitioners" have found ways to utilise the fibres of democratic processes such as PILs to tie it around the neck of the common man and choke his comforts that are the result of his hard work.

Such individuals are nothing short of danger to the society and are detrimental to the progress of a developing nation.
Parthasarathig is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 03:50   #1271
BHPian

There goes Mumbai Traffic Police. Another task for the weekend.

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-rtomumbai_tints.jpg

Forgive me if I have missed this but it would be interesting to know mods' take on this matter please?

Last edited by GTO : 12th May 2012 at 16:14. Reason: There is no need to type in all BOLD
Rock 'n' rollz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 04:06   #1272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I beg to differ. Also, stats show that the bulk of accidents occur under 5km of home. The only place I may not wear belts is when inside the IIT Campus.
I seriously do not want to get into a seat belt debate. I respect each person's view on this rule although I have a completely different way of looking at it. More interesting though, I am just keen to know where did you get the information which states that most accidents take place within 5km radius from home. I am just curious as this would make a good read. I always thought that most mishaps are on the highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
In those countries that you refer to, they dont drive with high-beam. Either following you or coming from the opposite direction.

And I dont think the people are are so impolite to be oogling at women sitting inside cars. (Or outside)

And those countries have rules that are made logically, taking all aspects into consideration, often with public input. Expert committees are involved before decisions are made.

And those countries have people who follow far more % of rules too .. Rules that are practical, and useful to the people who have to follow the rules.
I disagree with you completely on the 2nd point. 'Eyeballing' women is common everywhere in the world, it's a male instinct. Believe me, in San Jose, my colleagues gave me a crash course on how to strike a conversation with a woman driver and get a date out of it. Moreover, in Eastern Europe, the women eyeball men, and they love Indians fyi. Perhaps, a better way of putting it would be - here men letch endlessly at women. Whereas in 'those' countries, they just acknowledge the existence of women by glancing at them. If there is a response, they take it further, if not, they move on and don't bother anymore.

As for the other points, I am with you 100%. Nonetheless dark front tints should be disallowed due to lack of vision. 50% is the magic number of tint that can be allowed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Rohan, as per my understanding of the SC order, you cannot have ANY externally applied sunfilm, even if falls within the 30% criteria.
In yesterday's paper, it was mentioned clearly that the legally allowed tint is 70% visibility on sides and 50% for front and rear. Perhaps maybe in Bangalore the rule is different from SC ruling? Need clarification on this. I am still unsure if all tint is not allowed or 70% visibility allowed.

Cheers!
Rohan

Last edited by rjalihal : 11th May 2012 at 04:10. Reason: spelled tint incorrectly
Old 11th May 2012, 07:05   #1273
AWD
BHPian

Now is everything in the Country going to run through Courts..! Is it a sign of complete Democratic setup failure, is the largest democracy going to be dictated ? I agree that some fine judjements have come out of Courts & many have offered better solutions than our Elected Govts. but what's the mandate here, what form of Governance do we want..?

The Power centers in 3rd World countries often turn dictatorial. Again lack of accountability at higher levels can have devastating consequences.
Old 11th May 2012, 07:26   #1274
BHPian

Reported in ToI, 2 women gang raped below Belapur flyover in Mumbai.
Someone will file a PIL and supreme court will ban all flyovers in the country.

In other news, Mumbai auto union leader wants to ban sale of private cars.He has given a months notice to the govt to decide.

Last edited by Marlon : 11th May 2012 at 07:34.
Old 11th May 2012, 08:01   #1275
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post

In yesterday's paper, it was mentioned clearly that the legally allowed tint is 70% visibility on sides and 50% for front and rear. Perhaps maybe in Bangalore the rule is different from SC ruling? Need clarification on this. I am still unsure if all tint is not allowed or 70% visibility allowed.

Cheers!
Rohan
Hey Rohan, don't break your head on this, legally allowed tint has a new meaning, its factory fitted tinted glass with 70%-50% VLT, you can not use any thing to reduce your glasses VLT%, how light it may be, the rule is same every where. Don't go by TOI or others, the judgement copy is attached to this thread between 11 to 16th page. You have 9 more days, so till the time the order is not challanged, happy sunny days.

OT: Anyone with a legal mind, can put light on this point, is there a rule that someone has to challange a ruling within 30 or 60 days of the verdict else it becomes permanent?

Last edited by asdon : 11th May 2012 at 08:10.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed