Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2012, 08:06   #1276
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

@ASDon, nothing OT .. you could post this question on the other thread, and ask @Manikjeet for the answer.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 08:39   #1277
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

If the amount and effort put into harassing public is gone into stopping crimes and prosecuting the criminals, the crime percentage would come done drastically.
Why isn't SC thinking on these lines?

If you are emulating foreign countries in banning sun films, also try to bring in the same level of policing and prosecution to punish the culprits rather than harass the public.

Looks like this is a Indian Version of 99% v/s 1% movement.

I am planning to get the sun films removed from my cars over the next weekend.
Old 11th May 2012, 09:23   #1278
BHPian

So VLT is what comes out of the factory and not legal tints? Great. Now my colleague who has double tinted garwares on his accent can finally remove them. Needed this confirmation.
Old 11th May 2012, 09:35   #1279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal
More interesting though, I am just keen to know where did you get the information which states that most accidents take place within 5km radius from home. I am just curious as this would make a good read. I always thought that most mishaps are on the highways.
I read this a very long time back so don't remember the source now, but the main theme here is that people let their guard down when they are closer home. I think you'll find in the study that this 5 km pattern emerges from the set of people returning home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal
In yesterday's paper, it was mentioned clearly that the legally allowed tint is 70% visibility on sides and 50% for front and rear. Perhaps maybe in Bangalore the rule is different from SC ruling? Need clarification on this. I am still unsure if all tint is not allowed or 70% visibility allowed.
Nothing against you (and everything against ToI-let paper and equivalents), but I just *do not* understand where/what the confusion is. The Hon'ble SC has very clearly said that nothing must be added-on to the OEM glasses, and OEM glasses in and of themselves alone can fall inside legal VLT limits. This has been pointed out multiple times in this thread as well as by more credible media entities.

If Pune and Blr cops and RTO are doing something different, they will get pulled up at some point.

Regards,
spadix
Old 11th May 2012, 09:40   #1280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
So VLT is what comes out of the factory and not legal tints? Great. Now my colleague who has double tinted garwares on his accent can finally remove them. Needed this confirmation.
VLT is Visible Light Transmission. Every glass will have certain amount light it will transmit. All the sun control films have VLT that defines the amount of light allowed. Tinted Glass is what come from factory. Film is what we put.

By the way any update if the ban is being applied in Hyderabad. I do not see much in Pune
Old 11th May 2012, 10:06   #1281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Police will peel off the sun film for you

Attachment 925444

Source : The Hindu
Just wondering, is that the correct way to check the VLT? Am supposing the meter should measure the VLT from the inside of the car rather than the outside, or is the meter able to check the VLT by passing some sort of light & then measuring how much is being allowed?
Old 11th May 2012, 10:35   #1282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
Reported in ToI, 2 women gang raped below Belapur flyover in Mumbai.
Someone will file a PIL and supreme court will ban all flyovers in the country.

In other news, Mumbai auto union leader wants to ban sale of private cars.He has given a months notice to the govt to decide.
I was shocked to see the Belapur News, that too in an area with so much activity around. The court should issue a directive to speed up pending cases, order Police to be people friendly and try to minimise the overall crime rate. Trust and Faith in the police would encourage people to come forward and report incidents.

Next shocking news was about the Union Leader demanding the ban on sale of cars. How in world is it going to help rickshaw wallas, i do not know. All i know is he himself goes around in a fortuner.
Old 11th May 2012, 10:43   #1283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
OT: Anyone with a legal mind, can put light on this point, is there a rule that someone has to challenge a ruling within 30 or 60 days of the verdict else it becomes permanent?
More than us being worried i thought the companies like 3M and Garware would be worried about loss of business. On this same thread in the first few pages there was a mention of 3M/Garware going to challenge this verdict in the SC (Last Monday), did not see any update post that. Is there any update on that front if someone is aware of.
Old 11th May 2012, 10:50   #1284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
In other news, Mumbai auto union leader wants to ban sale of private cars.He has given a months notice to the govt to decide.
Ridiculous. If I am not mistaken, in extreme cases the judge can punish (with fine) the applicant for wasting valuable time of the court.
BTW, Bangalore Mirror has reported that about 7000 cars got their films removed in the police camps. They have categorically (finally) mentioned that no film of any sort is allowed.
Apparently the removed films are thrown everywhere expecting BBMP to clean them. Wonder whether the films have recycle value and someone enterprising can make a small fortune.

Last edited by Guna : 11th May 2012 at 10:56.
Old 11th May 2012, 10:51   #1285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
More than us being worried i thought the companies like 3M and Garware would be worried about loss of business. On this same thread in the first few pages there was a mention of 3M/Garware going to challenge this verdict in the SC (Last Monday), did not see any update post that. Is there any update on that front if someone is aware of.
Perhaps their stand is quite clear, let people remove the sunfilms first ,then after 2-3 months we will file a petition to get a stay and keep our business going.
Old 11th May 2012, 11:05   #1286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post

Next shocking news was about the Union Leader demanding the ban on sale of cars. How in world is it going to help rickshaw wallas, i do not know. All i know is he himself goes around in a fortuner.

The concerned union leader is known to go to absolutely any lengths just to save his rickshaw folk. Holding the city to ransom is what he does very casually . Just in the past few months he has done this time & again.
A few occasions i recall -
1) Around 2 to 3 times he has called strikes (which were not necessarily supported by other auto unions in which case he resorts to dadagiri and then passes statments like , we do not advocate violence) demanding a hike in fare.

2) He did it again the second time around demanding the auto wallahs be let into town, beyond bandra. The south bombay resident associations fiercely opposed this and made sure they shut his loud mouth for the time being atleast but knowing him he wont zip it for long. Imagine a paan stained marine drive lined with those clowns in khakee. It will be a nightmare.

3) Most recently he demanded around 1.5 lakh more permits for auto-wallahs. There are already so many of them that there is no breathing space on our roads and then he demands 1.5 lakh more permits .
Ironically the same guy now talks about reducing sale of private vehicles because of clogging on our roads and hence 'force' people to use public transport.
Hypocrisy at its classic best !!

The man is nothing short of an absolute pest and its largely because of him that the illiterate goons in the 3-wheelers think they are absolutely indispensable to this city.
Time & again i hoped for his end ( right way or wrong ) but all i got was a reality check - People like him flourish in our lands and if not him, someone else equally pathetic or even worse (possible is everything) might take up the mantle.
I get real joy out of thinking what would have happened of the clown had this been a communist state.
That's all for now .
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 11:09   #1287
BHPian

If this is an attempt by sunfilm companies to earn money then it is going to backfire at them. Because most of the people who incurred a loss of 8000+ on sun film for his car and then got fined and the film was removed will not get it reinstalled by paying for the same quality of film when rules relax.

And new car owners will anyways be scared to install sun film and will not go ahead with it.

But yes, they will earn some extra money when these people opt for cheaper quality sun film when the rules relax but then this will lead to bad mouth publicity as people who are otherwise used to using better quality film will not like the cheaper films and advice others to not get it installed.
Old 11th May 2012, 11:10   #1288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Hello Mayank,

I feel Sunfilm Manufacturers will be happiest lot.

Because they know that this slump is Business is temporary. Just let couple of months pass & everyone will forget everything. People will start applying light colored films on Glasses, which means new & repeat business for them.

We all know that this Drive against Sunfilms is not going to last for more than couple of months. After that everyone who removed their Sunfilms will re-apply them again.

This has happened in past & will repeat in future also.

Thanks,
Old 11th May 2012, 11:14   #1289
BHPian

It has just been 3 months that I have put 3M sunfilms on my car, and now I feel that the entire money has gone down the drain. I clearly remember few years back the "sunfilm ban" was implemented in Kolkata which slowly got faded away. I really hope that someone raises a voice against it or files a petition. Till then its bike to office.
Old 11th May 2012, 11:16   #1290
Senior - BHPian

The person who has filed the PIL.
You have robbed honest middle class people of their valuable, 100% clean white, TDS'ed money. Every person with car stands to lose around 4k from his pocket.

Wheels of God grind slow, but they grind exceedingly fine Mr "AAM AADMI".

Less said about our country now better it is. We are on a fast track to become a Banana Republic.

Suddenly the decision of my friends to settle abroad makes so much sense now.
Here the middle class is just a cow. Milk it day in and day out.
download2live is offline   (12) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks