Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2012, 11:33   #1291
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
Reported in ToI, 2 women gang raped below Belapur flyover in Mumbai.
Someone will file a PIL and supreme court will ban all flyovers in the country.
Your anger is understandable, but the crime mentioned is much more serious than what we are discussing here.

----------

IMO, India is not the first country to have this rule on visibility / VLT. Infact, it may be good if the rule stays with some additional clarification – i.e.; to define permissible VLT %, with or without sun films.
At this moment, this could be the possibility:
1) Majority of the car owners remove the sun-flims, irrespective of the VLT. This could be voluntary (law abiding folks), or involuntary (tear-up by the cops).
2) The sun-film removal drive cools off in a couple of months, or the law get a stay due to a counter petition
3) Car owners go back to implementing sun films again.

In the above scenario, I can see only one big winner – the sun-film companies. And that could be a reason that there is not much movement from their side.
Old 11th May 2012, 11:43   #1292
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Guys, Any idea on what is the status in Hyd and Kerala( mainly Palghat and Trichur). I am planning to drive down from Hyd and was looking at driving down to Kerala as well. The AStar has the CR series and hurts to think of removing it.!!
Old 11th May 2012, 11:49   #1293
BHPian

Any idea whether Chennai police have started this check? I hope there is some appeal soon - I do not want to remove it only to find a reversal of the order!
Old 11th May 2012, 12:00   #1294
Senior - BHPian

One of my friends got the films removed at BTP's camp at Indira nagar BDA complex. He is very happy with the work done on his car. They professionally removed it from all sides and even from the defogger. It took some 15 minutes. And he was not charged a paisa. This was yesterday at around 9.30 am. Any other inputs from the others in bangalore who would have got it removed by BTP's camps? And any ideas on where exactly is it in Kanteerava stadium. My office is quite close by, so I can just go there and get it done. Else will do a DIY tomorrow
Old 11th May 2012, 12:06   #1295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Ok I don't see why all the people on this forum are crying and complaining all the time regarding the ban of the sun-films on cars.

It is not something which just came up, is it? It is an R.T.O rule since decades to not have darker films on motor cars.
S2!!! the "cribbing" is only against the blanket order of banning all tints not differentiating between what is legal and what is not (as per old RTO rules). Please dont come down so harsh on people who show displeasure with the ruling.
Old 11th May 2012, 12:12   #1296
Senior - BHPian

A Lot of people are asking questions like why is 3M, Garware, VKool, acme and co, etc keeping quiet?

Didnt anyone think what if they were the one who STARTED all this in the 1st place?

Simple business logic - There are 100 cars in the world and all of them have sunfilms, now not many new cars are coming into market. How to grow at the same rate or even faster rate than past? Simple - make all of them remove old films (which they would have purchased 5-10 years ago at 2Rs per car) and entice them somehow into buying new ones at 5Rs per car

What an Idea? Conspiracy!
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 12:18   #1297
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai update -

Have been driving around with tints in my Punto (VKool - 35 on sides and rear) and Innova (Garware - 35 on sides and rear) without any issues.

Infact I saw a lot of police vehicles (Boleros) with darker or similar tints!
Old 11th May 2012, 12:25   #1298
Senior - BHPian

The Hindustan Times (HT Shopper - Gurgaon)
11-May-2012
Attached Thumbnails
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-ht1.jpg  

mukeshgoel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 12:25   #1299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
The person who has filed the PIL.
You have robbed honest middle class people of their valuable, 100% clean white, TDS'ed money. Every person with car stands to lose around 4k from his pocket.

Wheels of God grind slow, but they grind exceedingly fine Mr "AAM AADMI".

Less said about our country now better it is. We are on a fast track to become a Banana Republic.

Suddenly the decision of my friends to settle abroad makes so much sense now.
Here the middle class is just a cow. Milk it day in and day out.

Ask those very same friends of yours if they follow the law of their adopted land to teh "T". i can bet they do.

So, if the same is done by all (or most) in India, a lot of our problems will go away as well.

the law has always been very clear on tints. its only that most of us chose to violate it with the chalta hai attitude....question is, would you show the same scant disregard for the law in a western country or the middle east? NO....

I agree the SC judgement is flawed, but consider what brought this on in the first place? if people were to scrupulously adhere to teh legal limits of tints, this may not have happened in the first place.
himanshugoswami is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 12:33   #1300
BHPian

hrman

i went to Indira nagar RTO around 2pm or so and found about 20 odd cars there. When i checked with a owner while the film from her Maruti 800 was being removed said was charged Rs.150. maybe your friend was lucky since he went as early as 9.30am the cops wouldn't have realized the real potential in store
Also see the facebook page of BTP another owner had mentioned about he was charged Rs.150.

when i noticed they were removing it shabbily not even spraying water to the film just scratched at one corner and trying to pull it down. while i wanted to specifically see how they would remove the film from a defogger, there were actually no vehicle (which were being removed had defogger)
Old 11th May 2012, 12:35   #1301
BHPian

Awareness drive and crackdown on full swing in Delhi.
Traffic cops are on the lookout for cars with films for challan and removal.
Below is an advert in today's times of India.
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-adt.png
Old 11th May 2012, 12:40   #1302
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
If people were to scrupulously adhere to teh legal limits of tints, this may not have happened in the first place.
That is where we fail.
Let everyone change and there will be no crime, no corruption. Change has to come from within.
Been there. Done that.
My Sunfilms are TATA OEM with RTO approved VLT.

There is something called probability. I bet no one mentioned this ever while repeating this lousy "Bring the change from within, Be the change you want to see".

Do the Maths. It might seem weird. But do it. What is the probability of 1,170,938,000 people turning perfect law abiding citizens?

You will get your real world, in the face answer.

The stuff which happened in certain part of our country was not due to the Sunfilms. It was because of lax implementation of the Law. Instead of asking the Delhi Police the tough questions, SC took the easy way out.

And we the middle class people, as usual paid the price.
download2live is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 12:47   #1303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sourov View Post
I clearly remember few years back the "sunfilm ban" was implemented in Kolkata which slowly got faded away. I really hope that someone raises a voice against it or files a petition. Till then its bike to office.
Really? Was there a ban implemented in Kolkata? Weird I didn't notice at all though back then I had my Zen which had sun films with about 40% VLT . To be fair it was purchased way back in 2001 when I frankly didn't even know about the VLT rules. So much for the implementation drive then in Kolkata since I never even got a whiff of the previous one.

Keeping my fingers crossed this time around and hope this drive meets the same fate here . To be clear my current drive has tints under legal limits and are hardly noticeable.

Last edited by samarjitdhar : 11th May 2012 at 12:50.
Old 11th May 2012, 12:48   #1304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I agree the SC judgement is flawed, but consider what brought this on in the first place? if people were to scrupulously adhere to teh legal limits of tints, this may not have happened in the first place.
People continue to drink & drive. But alcohol is not banned ! Reason given for ban on sunfilms but not on tint glass is, police across the country don't have lux meter to measure visibility. Do all police checkpoints have breath analyzers? If not then why alcohol is still not banned? DUI is far greater threat than sun films.

Few questions about 'tinted' glass:
1) Does tint glass offer protection from glare & UV same as sun films?
2) While booking the car, can someone specify the tint he wants? (Like 80% for front & 55% for sides).
3) How to get tinted glass for cars already on road?
Old 11th May 2012, 12:49   #1305
Senior - BHPian

Update:

Delhi Traffic police has put a barrier between Dhaula Kuan and Brar Square (and a speed camera before that).

They are bringing the speed to almost zero of every car and catching the speed violators & everyone else with films and removing the films on spot (and fine of course)

Some traffic cops are removing the films on the crossing before Gurudwara and Rajouri Garden flyover. They are catching the cars coming from Rajouri Garden and taking left turn on ring road. They are not stopping cars already on ring road.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed