Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2012, 12:52   #1306
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Lets do the math. if the law gets modified

Even if 10000 affect people spending Rs 5000 to refix sunfilm = Rs 5 Cr

Supreme Court lawyer fee = Rs 2 Cr. The sun film folks already have broken even on their costs before even trying. The cops will take a month to hit 50% of the people and then these guys will mop up the replacement market
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 12:54   #1307
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
Really? Was there a ban implemented in Kolkata? Weird I didn't notice at all though back then I had my Zen which had sun films with about 40% VLT .

Actually I think it was against the mirror kind of sunflims (the golden and silver ones) my fathers Santro also had same kind but its slowly got faded away and he still has them. But, its time finally to peel it off.
Old 11th May 2012, 12:59   #1308
BHPian

Can somebody who has removed the films provide a step by step process to do it?. This might be off topic but will help readers with the final solution.
Old 11th May 2012, 12:59   #1309
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai Update:

Was travelling from Vashi to Chembur in morning, there were nakabandhi at various places but they weren't stopping any cars with black tints. There was a Ritz with very dark tints, as soon as he saw the cop, he lowered all his windows. There were many people driving with their front windows rolled down in 35°C. I was amazed what a rule with strict policing can do.

Even while returning in the afternoon from Chembur to Vashi no stopping by cops for tints. Where I stay at Palm Beach RD. there is a police nakabandhi regularly but no stopping by cops for tints. Mumbai cops are not making hay, God knows why.

Now my car wont be used for 3 weeks, so no worries and once rains hit Mumbai in 1st week of June, all this fuss would settle out.
Old 11th May 2012, 13:01   #1310
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwheelz View Post
Can somebody who has removed the films provide a step by step process to do it?. This might be off topic but will help readers with the final solution.
You should see this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...at-not-do.html
mukeshgoel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 13:01   #1311
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
Count me in.Lawyer would be no problem as my grand father is a retired justice and my father is a lawyer
I am all ears!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSD View Post
I contacted the VW workshop to know if they had any idea about the vlt of the rear glass.
For the moment, it seems ALL OEM glasses are legal, as the police can't crack down on cases such as yours. So people with tinted glasses not meeting the specifications can still make merry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
The person who has filed the PIL.
You have robbed honest middle class people of their valuable, 100% clean white, TDS'ed money. Every person with car stands to lose around 4k from his pocket.

Wheels of God grind slow, but they grind exceedingly fine Mr "AAM AADMI".

Less said about our country now better it is. We are on a fast track to become a Banana Republic.

Suddenly the decision of my friends to settle abroad makes so much sense now.
Here the middle class is just a cow. Milk it day in and day out.
I can sympathize with your feelings here, and emphatically so. However, I have gone through the petition; however, the Supreme Court seems to have missed everything contained in it other than "Black Films" and "Gang Rape". The petitioner had filed, albeit not very succinctly, for a ban on "VIP" vehicles having dark tints. The SC took the petition and turned it on its head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Lets do the math. if the law gets modified

Even if 10000 affect people spending Rs 5000 to refix sunfilm = Rs 5 Cr

Supreme Court lawyer fee = Rs 2 Cr. The sun film folks already have broken even on their costs before even trying. The cops will take a month to hit 50% of the people and then these guys will mop up the replacement market
Who are they hiring to appeal against a "PIL"??? Ram Jethmalani?

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
That is where we fail.
Let everyone change and there will be no crime, no corruption. Change has to come from within.
Been there. Done that.
My Sunfilms are TATA OEM with RTO approved VLT.

There is something called probability. ...

... Do the Maths. It might seem weird. But do it. What is the probability of 1,170,938,000 people turning perfect law abiding citizens?

You will get your real world, in the face answer.

The stuff which happened in certain part of our country was not due to the Sunfilms.
It was because of lax implementation of the Law.
Instead of asking the Delhi Police the tough questions, SC took the easy way out.

And we the middle class people, as usual paid the price.
:|
Jai Hind... :(

Last edited by godog : 11th May 2012 at 13:04.
Old 11th May 2012, 13:05   #1312
BHPian

Quote:
here you go. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...at-not-do.html
falcon009 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 13:05   #1313
BHPian

Quote:
Here you go!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ml#post2767619

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-do...ml#post2769546
abhijeetsng is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 13:07   #1314
BHPian

Waste of around 4K for a better quality sun film just before a month

Sun film companies might have very well started this to make sure at least 90% of vehicles gets their films removed and then call for a ban on order to pull in people to come and apply a new one :( See, the thread was started in March 2007 and the order still keeps going and coming even in 2012.

Is this applicable to all including those Govt cars too? Will a traffic cop stop a collector's car /IG's car to remove the film on road ? As they have the most darker shade on their cars.

Are all these applicable to T-Board and buses too?

Why should they do all this? There are hell lot of areas where in we need their time, why this? and that too in a hot country like India? So, its the same level of privacy in cars as in buses. If you are not in a big SUV, people are going to start starring at the ladies (sleeping or awake)inside the car and we should keep our mouth shut

Last edited by ganesc : 11th May 2012 at 13:08.
Old 11th May 2012, 13:32   #1315
BHPian

This happens only in India!!

The outcome unfortunately is one-sided; the same sun-film can prevent a crime as well. It could protect a human being travelling alone from unwanted attention / mugging / other popular offences.

Really wonder what the 'Save AAM ADMI' NGO had in mind?

Govt. should invest in creating a better infrastructure - tamper prrof and working security cams, well-lit parking lots esp around pubs/restaturants.

I feel this might not last for long as many are hinting; just like the speed-breakers in bangalore - build, maintain and destroy at the expense of people's money.

I would definelty have a tear in my eyes when i had to remove my VKOOLs out of my car.
Old 11th May 2012, 13:36   #1316
Senior - BHPian

Now, Bangalore Traffic Police is clear on the issue. Source

Any kind of film on glasses of vehicles will be peeled off

"Most people seem to believe that sunscreen films within the permissible limits,provided by authorised car dealers,are allowed.But traffic police clearly say any film pasted,however thin and clear,will be removed.Only vehicles coming straight out of the factory fitted with legitimate tinted glasses will be spared"

"The VLT of the glass should be same as it was when the vehicle rolled out of the factory gate,not out of the showroom, a senior traffic police officer said.Sun film,whether it has a VLT of 5 per cent or 100 per cent,is not permissible"

"Traffic police say vehicles which come manufactured with tinted glass would be checked to see if the VLT is within prescribed limits.
If it exceeds prescribed limits,the owner would have to change the glass, the senior officer said."
Attached Thumbnails
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-sf.jpg  

Last edited by coolclouds : 11th May 2012 at 13:38.
Old 11th May 2012, 13:48   #1317
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolclouds View Post
Traffic police say vehicles which come manufactured with tinted glass would be checked to see if the VLT is within prescribed limits.
This is really getting annoying now. How does it make a difference if the tint comes from the manufacturer or with the owner's hard earned money if it is within the allowed VLT ? Has anybody got the link to the PIL filed by Avisekh Goenka and the final verdict by SC. I am sure SC just took the PIL and moulded it in it's own way having no clue of the actual objective of the PIL. Sorry, but this is really annoying.

Got the link.

SAVE AAM ADMI (3rd Point)

The judgement :
265OF2011.pdf

Last edited by abhisheksircar : 11th May 2012 at 14:14.
abhisheksircar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 13:59   #1318
AWD
BHPian

Sun-films are usefull in warding off the harmful UV rays, aid in cooling & offer privacy in an otherwise over-crowded Country. Staring is a part of Indian culture I believe & the Courts want everything to be in the open. Think there used to be a right to privacy, does it still exist or it never did..! With each passing day the living quotient is being sucked out & life of an ordinary Citizen is being made miserable. Obstacles are ever increasing & living a simple life is becoming increasingly difficult. When will the law makers turn pro-Citizen..!
Old 11th May 2012, 14:04   #1319
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsng View Post
Awareness drive and crackdown on full swing in Delhi.
Traffic cops are on the lookout for cars with films for challan and removal.
Below is an advert in today's times of India.
Attachment 926002
The Delhi poilce advt. you just quoted mentions Windscreen and side windows. It no where talks about the Rear window.

I wonder if I can carry this advt. with me and tell the cops to not peel of the film from my car's defogger

Since, I am planning to remove it from the side windows and let the one on the rear window intact to avoid causing harm to the defogger.
Old 11th May 2012, 14:09   #1320
BHPian

Any idea if anyone having leased car, if the leasing company is offering to remove the tint
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks