Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2012, 16:28   #1351
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
That's why you have got an opportunity also to file a review petition. Challenge such decisions in The Hon'ble Supreme Court Of India itself.

Cheers!
Irish
Any idea how to do it. Clear guidelines will help. I am sure there are enough members here to sign the petition if numbers counts.
Old 11th May 2012, 16:40   #1352
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Hi,

In my opinion, we have to first know the difference between glass tints and films pasted on top of the glass to obtain a "tint". As far as I understand, the SC has directed that any material (of any VLT) cannot be used/pasted on top of the glass.

What the SC is talking about is the tint which is already provided in the "safety glass" at the time of manufacturing of the glass. This makes any material pasted on the glass illegal.

Further, SC also directs that the tint provided at the time of manufacture cannot be less that 70% for front/rear glass and 50% for side windows.

What I have said above is just what I understood after going through the judgment. It may be wrong. But I strongly feel that the SC should only direct the parliament to rectify a law and only later implement it.

Regards,
Anant

Last edited by anantu2001 : 11th May 2012 at 16:57.
Old 11th May 2012, 16:46   #1353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Supreme court has passed a judgement, instead of the directing the parliament to modify the law. 70% VLT for front and back, and 50% VLT
Just because police is incompetent in getting equipment to enforce a law, a law has gotten superceded. Such things are good in Banana republics. I would still like to believe I do not live in a banana republic(contrary to lot of evidence). Hence the opposition.
+1, just because enforcement is not possible, its a shoot at sight order. In this case, is the SC not modifying the law by itself without involving the Parliament?

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
My point is if the rule is passed by the SC, I think we all should respect it rather than making a hue and fuss about it, and help the law and order to curtail crime in our city.
So if I have a car without sunfilms, I am going to put up a curtain inside. Maybe a makeshift one, only a sheet. I am sure you must have seen people doing this despite having sunfilms. I would go a point further but then I myself dont agree with this and dont want to offend any religious sentiments.
how will this stop crime? Crime will find another workaround and the common man will suffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish View Post
Therefore, the judiciary has not done anything wrong by giving this order. There have been a lot of such instances, where The Hon'ble Supreme Court of India has rectified such laws / practices, which were in use since British Rule also.
In my humble opinion, the relevant people should have considered the impact of it on people, both monetary and healthwise. tomorrow if the petition against this PIL is upheld and the PIL dismissed, will the court reimburse the people for all the sunfilms they removed?

The decision has been taken in haste without due consideration and has definitely not taken the other side of the picture in context.

Last edited by selfdrive : 11th May 2012 at 16:47.
Old 11th May 2012, 16:55   #1354
BHPian

Seriously i was frustrated by this decision too! And there is such a loot here that even removing films prices went high (as much as Rs.800) the day this was announced. Althoug i removed it myself easily with surf water Our law is really confused in some sectors seriously.

Just wanted to know whether we can use the sun shades (black ones) at least now? Not clear about it.
Old 11th May 2012, 17:08   #1355
BHPian

Catch criminals and stop policing the public. If you have time to give a ruling on removing sun-films you have time to work on the economic issues the country faces. If the cops have time to check whether we have sun-film on or not, then there is certainly an unmanned junction that is heavy with traffic. The back bone of a country is upheld by its crime policy and the general behavior of the government towards the public. This heinous method of controlling people is just inviting more wrath. This is certainly a hard time to be an Indian.

How I see this move:
1. Sun films removed
2. Heat inside a car increased
3. Switching on AC to negate the effect
4. Increased fuel consumption by car
5. Shortage of fuel around the world
6. Good reason to increase the fuel prices

It just boils my blood as to how long will we put up with this regime.

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2012 at 13:27. Reason: Removing last two words as we don't permit any political discussions on Team-BHP. Thanks
D'Artagnan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 17:21   #1356
BHPian

When I got Sunfilm applied on mine, I was contemplating on getting 50% VLT Film on sides. But decided that it is not safe enough for my sisters when they are traveling alone. I went for 35% VLT (functionality of which is same in all aspect with 50% VLT film) which provides the necessary privacy, is drivable and more importantly provides deterrence from prying eyes.

If such kind of blanket rules with implications across the nation are to be implemented,
  • it is the responsibility of decision maker to make people be aware of PIL being discussed with definitive window frame for judgment (or passing law in case of legislature). Was such a kind of notice in any of the leading newspaper or did such discussion happen in any public forum.
  • It does not give people an opportunity to think if they will be affected by it or not. If it was public knowledge, atleast some portion of public would put on hold the decision to put sunfilm.
  • What of people who are following the existing rule. Are they not cheated by such blanket bans.
  • Destroying livelihood of people who are dependent on an industry. Here the impact is not so big but such kind of rules can destroy more than they help
  • Was the industry that is getting affected even invited to give their opinion on the PIL? Should it not be more prudent to ban sale of such films (% not deemed suitable) for automobile use first than a blanket ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasad View Post
I know I sound a bit stingy but 4k is not a small sum for me :-(.
4K is not a small amount for anyone in India. There is nothing wrong in feeling like that, after all you have worked for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switch View Post
Just when I was cursing the law and driving in the Delhi heat in my car I noticed a Police Jeep with really dark tints.
Before they started the drive first they should have cleaned their own house. This I think is one of the biggest weakness that we Indians have. rules are for others. Not just this, you see cops traveling on bikes with their official caps and no helmet. etc. When the enforcers have such a chalta hain attitude how do you expect common man to abide by them

Supreme court rule says that prevention is not better than cure. Why prevent getting robbed/kidnapped when law enforcers will spot if you are being robbed or kidnapped. Now if someone Kidnaps and drugs the person won't they look like they are taking a nap. How the hell will the Cops even know what is going on in the car even if its open top? If India needs these kind rules to protect its public, we as a democratic country are on a downhill

Last edited by indian21r : 11th May 2012 at 17:24.
Old 11th May 2012, 17:24   #1357
BHPian

Blanket ban on tints!! Did the Hon'able Supreme Court consider the climatic conditions of India before passing such a ruling? Obviously not. It is stifling hot thanks to the global warming and pollution in the cities. The AC in the cars can barely keep up. Thats why the tints.

If tinted glass by manufacturers is allowed, then why not start this at the manufacturers than target us? Make it mandatory for the manufacturers to give tinted glass in every car.

Why not enforce the law (70% visibility in front and 50% visibility for sides) already in place? Why push the police to do a new job (removal of tints) than ask them to do the existing job correctly?

We wont get the answers, will we :-(

Being slightly optimistic, is it a good idea to wait for a week before getting the tints removed? I have a faint hope that a review petition would be filed

Last edited by Pallavi : 11th May 2012 at 17:46.
Pallavi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 17:37   #1358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_slow

How I see this move:
1. Sun films removed
2. Heat inside a car increased
3. Switching on AC to negate the effect
4. Increased fuel consumption by car
5. Shortage of fuel around the world
6. Good reason to increase the fuel prices

It just boils my blood as to how long will we put up with this regime
That is a good observation. This country is being ruled by robbers and they want to rob any which way they want. Left,right,center and even Top! And then the fuel hike will come up by 5 Rs. And all that govt will say is that international prices and demands are high. At the same time no one asks the ministers or other politicians to have non-tinted cars. Because they are "VIP" and the people of this country are not even "P". We can die in heat while these robbers enjoy the cool. Democracy? Yeah sure!

Last edited by GTO : 14th May 2012 at 13:28. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 11th May 2012, 18:01   #1359
Senior - BHPian

Was just googling and found something on the Net

eBay.co.uk Guides - WINDOW TINTING AND THE LAW-a quick guide

Although the films we use are 50%, 35% etc, the actual VLT reduces even more since the glasses are already tinted, more so with foreign car makers. So even with police using the fluxmeters, most of us would have been penalized.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 18:10   #1360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post

Although the films we use are 50%, 35% etc, the actual VLT reduces even more since the glasses are already tinted, more so with foreign car makers. So even with police using the fluxmeters, most of us would have been penalized.
No Films are legal as per the rule. Whatever is the VLT.
Old 11th May 2012, 18:43   #1361
Senior - BHPian

engaged in DIY sun film removal today and at the end of it found out that my front windshield has 75% VLT while the sides and the back have 70%; but still looks kinda bare. i took her out for a spin in the afternoon with the a/c on and found that the a/c had to work twice as harder to keep the interior cool

front:
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-_mg_6268.jpg

sides:
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-photo-110512-5-07-47-pm.jpg
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-_mg_6271.jpg

back:
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-_mg_6272.jpg
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 19:03   #1362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post

Exactly what I was thinking. Lets say if my side windows have a factory tint of 70% and I put 3M CS50, then my effective transparency is 35%. Now IIRC this was illegal even before this ban for sunfilms came in to force. So how come the sun film dealers were selling CS50 to me saying they are legal/RTO approved?

Now even if someone files a review petition and court orders to check every car using luxmeter before fining, even for someone who has a factory tint of 70% and a 3M CR70 (with 70% VLT) put on top of it will have an effective VLT of 49% right?
Old 11th May 2012, 19:28   #1363
BHPian

Guys whatever is being posted now have been discussed many times in previous pages, lets not increase the page count with same topic, please update your city's situation and for those who are for a legal option, try searching with leagl experts and post your findings. And we should not pass comments on Supreme Court's jurisdiction as some of the member posted like perliament only can pass law etc...

We may disagree with the order and discuss that and find way to rectify it.
asdon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 19:29   #1364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnaprasad View Post
Now that I have spent 4K on the sunfilms less than 6 months ago and facing an uncertain 'law' , the question arises, Does any one know If I can safely remove the sunfilm and reuse the same when the law's become more logical? Anyone here who would provide the expert knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

I know I sound a bit stingy but 4k is not a small sum for me :-(.
Once removed they cannot be fixed back, it becomes garbage.
Tough luck
Old 11th May 2012, 19:40   #1365
BHPian

I wonder why the major automotive magazine editors are not speaking out on this. Autocar, Zigwheels etc must have some senior editors with considerable influence to provide their views to the media. I see absolute pin-drop silence on this issue. Have they been bought off by the sun-film manufacturers so that they can all make money once again a few months down the line?

I've also written to Skoda asking them if they will help in tinted glasses right from the company. Let's see what their response is.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks