Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2012, 20:49   #1456
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Instead of the ban on sun films completely, they could have restricted the manufacturers from dark tints. The Government and the Court has passed out an insane rule.

Now a days the temperatures are going beyond 37 degrees. How fair is it to ban the sun films completely?
Old 13th May 2012, 20:52   #1457
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenuKumar View Post
Instead of the ban on sun films completely, they could have restricted the manufacturers from dark tints. The Government and the Court has passed out an insane rule.

Now a days the temperatures are going beyond 37 degrees. How fair is it to ban the sun films completely?
These films have applications other than automotive as well, so they manufacture films with VLT as low as 5% too.

Rajan
Old 13th May 2012, 21:44   #1458
BHPian

Did some more research on this whole fiasco and here is what I found:

Garware specfication document reads -
"All value as applied to 1⁄8 inch (3mm) glass. Tests are representative of actual production sample & may vary from batch to batch."

And

Standard laminated safety glass, as used in automobiles is 6.38 mm thick

Anyone here seen / have a 3mm thick windshield?

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 21:52   #1459
BHPian

Driving cars with out tints in chennai's hot weather is as good as going in a rick..why waste money in buying a car then. In bangalore i understand, but for chennai kind of climate its merely impossible to keep the glass without tinted
Old 13th May 2012, 22:16   #1460
Senior - BHPian

It is very strange that nobody is filing PIL and getting SC to pronounce strict penalties on vehicles plying without tail lamps, ORVMs/folded/broken, oversized load/overloading, and umpteen other rules of the road. I wish they laid more emphasis on road safety than banning these stuff in the name of "national security".

Btw, is it possible for lawyers in this forum to come together and do something about it?
Old 13th May 2012, 22:48   #1461
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post

Standard laminated safety glass, as used in automobiles is 6.38 mm thick
No, Rajan, it isn't. That would be mighty thick! About 1/4 inch.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 22:54   #1462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
https://www.facebook.com/movementagainstsc
Let's see how this pans out
How can this be done? I am not sure of online petitions are accepted by the SC. If you need to be there in person, well then only Delhi and NCR guys can possibly do it. That the issue with the SC being where it is. Is the bench that passed the request in recess? Not sure how it how SC works. But then its too late to wait, 20th the deadline in BLR.

Why can't car lovers be just left to themselves, I never got it :-)
Old 13th May 2012, 22:56   #1463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
No, Rajan, it isn't. That would be mighty thick! About 1/4 inch.
Not sure if you are joking or just did not do the conversion.

1/4 inch = 0.25 * 25.4 = 6.35 MM

My question is, how can these companies test on a 3 mm glass and claim that it is CMV rule compliant, when the standard auto safety glass is more than twice that thickness? Wouldn't the extra thickness affect the VLT?

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 13th May 2012 at 22:58.
Old 13th May 2012, 22:56   #1464
Team-BHP Support

My mom read the news on the sunfilm removal and ordered me to remove them on my car. I started cribbing as to how hot it would be to drive without sunfilm and AC would not be effective. Pat comes her reply "Shut up and stop cribbing, it's been banned in Kolkata for a long time and none of our cars in Kolkata have it where heat is much worse. You don't see them complain do you. Just remove them by next week!"

Quote:
Anyone here seen / have a 3mm thick windshield?

Rajan
Front windshield I'm not sure but the sides are usually around 3mm.
Old 13th May 2012, 23:31   #1465
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

So I guess we
1) Wait till someone puts in a counter PIL to get the law corrected.
2) Try our luck to see if the cops only bother those with really dark tints.
3) Or remove the tintes and put one the front wind screen kind of sun protection that can just not be made out unless someone rolls down the mirrors and sees the film at the edge.

Though there is a chance that this may not go away anytime soon, there is also the possibility that some new PIL will reverse this and all who remove their tints in a hurry will just be so very ...

It is a tough call to take.

Am sure the manufacturers of sun films will themselves try to get this rule changed soon.
Old 13th May 2012, 23:49   #1466
BHPian

Update from HiTec city area in Hyderabad:
I've not seen any kind of checking on cars for sunfilms. I usually travel from Lingampally till HiTec city junction. Also travelled till Tolichowki twice during the weekend, still no stopping for cars.

On the other hand, I don't know what unpardonable offence the poor bikers (though they can be a real pain with all their circus on road) of Hyderabad have done to the cops. I see cops chasing down bikers brandishing their lathis almost everyday on these stretches.
Another reason why a car is safer than a bike, avoiding lathi marks on your rear.
Old 14th May 2012, 00:11   #1467
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not sure if you are joking or just did not do the conversion.

1/4 inch = 0.25 * 25.4 = 6.35 MM
You said 6.38, my off-the cuff approximation comes to 6.35, so the conversion seems sound. Is it that thick? I don't think so. Could be wrong.
Old 14th May 2012, 00:45   #1468
BHPian

I recollect someone in this thread actually suggested a get-together of T-BHP Bangaloreans for the sun-film removal activity! I suggest we can get-together around 9 am/4pm at the ground near Mantri appartments, Outer Ring Road. What say?

Would be a face to face forum to meet the fellow bhpians by face and gain lot of experience!
Old 14th May 2012, 01:02   #1469
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My question is, how can these companies test on a 3 mm glass and claim that it is CMV rule compliant, when the standard auto safety glass is more than twice that thickness? Wouldn't the extra thickness affect the VLT?

Rajan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You said 6.38, my off-the cuff approximation comes to 6.35, so the conversion seems sound. Is it that thick? I don't think so. Could be wrong.
A normal 6mm glass is the one that you see in offices used as partitions and typical conference room doors (just measured as I have one in my bathroom). The car window/ windscreen glasses are clearly almost half that width, so 3-3.5mm should be a safe assumption for that.

It's the middle of the night, else I'd have just measured it.
Old 14th May 2012, 01:23   #1470
BHPian

Its understood that SC has taken this decision to prevent unlawful acts behind a dark tint but how about women who drive back home alone during night from office, lets say around mid night, will it not invite chasers? How can SC not think about all aspects before banning all sun films.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks