Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2012, 11:18   #1486
Senior - BHPian

^^^

The minimum legal VLT is 70% for front and rear windshield and 50% for side glasses. You don't need to smash the side glasses of your car, my friend

Last edited by Klub Class : 14th May 2012 at 11:23.
Klub Class is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 11:19   #1487
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Just now I noticed my Punto comes with 70% VLT side glasses as OE (from the manufacturer).

I have 35% VLT VKool tints on this. Now suppose I remove my "illegal" VKool tints, my side glasses still are illegal as Supreme Court allows only 75% VLT on the sides.

So what do I do? Drive without glasses?
Supreme court allows 50% VLT on the sides provided these are naturally tinted glasses. so 70% VLT is perfectly fine for front and sides.

SC says 70% front and rear and 50% sides and these should not be done by use of films.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 11:26   #1488
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Supreme court has not changed any existing rules,

Para 17. However, the prayer relating to issuance of directions
prohibiting use of black films on the glasses of vehicles certainly
has merit. On the plain reading of the Rule, it is clear that car
must have safety glass having VLT at the time of manufacturing 70 per
cent for windscreen and 50 per cent for side windows. It should be so
maintained in that condition thereafter. In other words, the Rule
not impliedly, but specifically, prohibits alteration of such VLT by
any means subsequent to its manufacturing. How and what will be a
“safety glass” has been explained in Explanation to Rule 100. The
Explanation while defining ‘laminated safety glass’ makes it clear
that two or more pieces of glass held together by an intervening
layers of plastic materials so that the glass is held together in the
event of impact. The Rule and the explanation do not contemplate or
give any leeway to the manufacturer or user of the vehicle to, in any
manner, tamper with the VLT. The Rule and the IS only specify the VLT
of the glass itself.

Quote:
Just now I noticed my Punto comes with 70% VLT side glasses as OE (from the manufacturer).

I have 35% VLT VKool tints on this. Now suppose I remove my "illegal" VKool tints, my side glasses still are illegal as Supreme Court allows only 75% VLT on the sides.

Old 14th May 2012, 11:29   #1489
BHPian

Quote:

Where did you get the 75% VLT for sides info.
As far as I know factory tints with 70% VLT for front and back + 50% for the sides are very much allowed.
racer_m is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 11:30   #1490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Assuming you remove the Vkools, permissible tint levels for sides is 50% VLT as per the Supreme court ruling. So at70% VLT on OEM glasses, you are safe.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 11:46   #1491
Senior - BHPian

Phew! That was fast!

GOD knows from where I got that 75% VLT for sides funda. Sorry for the error and thank you for the correction friends!
Old 14th May 2012, 11:53   #1492
BANNED

@hrman; With the combination you are illegal with the VLT. The law3 allows 50% on the sides, so you are Ok.
Old 14th May 2012, 12:13   #1493
BHPian

iPhone / iPod Touch owners - there is an App called iTint in the Apple store that allows you to measure the VLT using your apple device

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 12:18   #1494
Senior - BHPian

Just removed films from 9 glasses of my Safari yesterday. It is now very different feeling while driving and hell lot of light coming inside. From 19th May onwards Police will start fining motorist.

Funniest part is, still there are lots of motorist who do not aware of this rule or Supreme Court Verdict on sun film. (Some nerds who only work and do not read or watch news )

And yes, It was DIY and and smooth process at home. Mr. Muscle was very handy in post cleaning procedure.
Old 14th May 2012, 12:19   #1495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
iPhone / iPod Touch owners - there is an App called iTint in the Apple store that allows you to measure the VLT using your apple device

Rajan
Wow. Thats quite an innovation. Anyone know of a similar app for Android?
Old 14th May 2012, 12:28   #1496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
Where did you get the 75% VLT for sides info.
As far as I know factory tints with 70% VLT for front and back + 50% for the sides are very much allowed.
I have a Punto. The info about VLT of the glass is present on the glass itself. For Punto, its 75% for the sides and 70% VLT for the front and rear.
Old 14th May 2012, 12:32   #1497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flycatcher View Post
I have a Punto. The info about VLT of the glass is present on the glass itself. For Punto, its 75% for the sides and 70% VLT for the front and rear.
There is a slight mix up in the understanding here it seems.
"raj_5004" had mentioned "Supreme Court allows only 75% VLT on the sides". I had asked him about this source of info and not the VLT% for Punto or for that matter any car.

BTW my own Figo's glasses have 90% VTL all around.
Old 14th May 2012, 12:37   #1498
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Isn't this sort of draconian legislation quite silly?
Given of course that we live in a hot sunny climate and do require protection from UV radiation, to say nothing of the increased efficiency of the air conditioning and by extension, improved fuel efficiency?
Personally I shall wait a it before ripping that film off.
Old 14th May 2012, 12:46   #1499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Isn't this sort of draconian legislation quite silly?
Given of course that we live in a hot sunny climate and do require protection from UV radiation, to say nothing of the increased efficiency of the air conditioning and by extension, improved fuel efficiency?
Personally I shall wait a it before ripping that film off.
I guess the waiting game can be dicey. Just now heard from my friend that he was pulled up near sarjapura road by the cops, though he was not fined but he was told to remove the film and also asked why he had not participated in the last weekends sunfilm removal drive organized by Bangalore Traffic Police
Old 14th May 2012, 12:50   #1500
Senior - BHPian

I just checked the Holiday calendar of Supreme Court and it says that the holidays are on till 1st of July.
http://www.sci.nic.in/outtoday/calendar2012.pdf

The devils have plotted this one nice. After 19th May Bangalore Police will start ripping off the Sunfilms. By 1st of July, the court starts again. Any restraining order if passed will come by mid of July. Nice business for the Sunfilm makers. Who are they fooling by filing a counter-petition just before the court was to go into holiday?

Now if you want to wait it out, actually you have to wait one and half month.

4K of TDS'ed hard earned money. Down the drain. Price to pay for staying in India maybe.
download2live is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks