Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2012, 12:52   #1501
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

What does Delhi Police expect?
are laws just for the common people?
even 10 days after the ban on films by Hon'ble Supreme Court and a massive drive to remove films on cars - still ongoing, Delhi Police does not have the courtesy or time to get films removed from their own cars.
Probably they would never have the time and they never would remove them.
Saw this car half hour back in Central Delhi. The films put on the glasses were not even close to the earlier permittet limit of 50 and 70 VLT.
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-dp.jpg
Old 14th May 2012, 12:54   #1502
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Saw Major drive form Dhaula Kuan to Naraina route. They put barricades and stopping cars with tints. Thank God I was on other side :-)

@abhijeet post this on DTP facebook with complete number.

Last edited by sam003 : 14th May 2012 at 12:56.
Old 14th May 2012, 12:59   #1503
Senior - BHPian

In Jaipur I dont see any drive as of now. People with all variances of black sun films are roaming around freely. Surprisingly even the media is quiet on this issue.

I have no film on my car so I am ok, but lets see for how long the police stays dormant on this issue.
Old 14th May 2012, 13:04   #1504
BHPian

Okay. This is starting become an obsession now . Anyway, here is the information I have gathered so far:

1. The front windshield has to be AS1 standard - Laminated safety glass that has light transmission above 70%. This is typically made with a .38 mm layer of polyvinyl butyral, sandwiched between 2 layers of 3 mm glass, making the final thickness 6.38 mm

2. The rear windshield and side glasses can be AS2 standard - tempered glass that has light transmission above 70%. This is just one pane of glass that is tempered and is typically 3.17 mm thick

3. Any glass, laminated or tempered, that has light transmission below 70% is AS3 standard and is typically used for sun roof.

4. All automotive glass must have a DOT code, which identifies the manufacturer. Mine has DOT 616, which translates to ASAHI INDIA SAFETY GLASS, LTD. HARYANA, INDIA. My rear windshield however has DOT 247, which translates to SANTA LUCIA CRISTAIS BLINDEX LTD, SAO PAULO, BRAZIL

5. The E code (with a capital 'E') is used for cars in European countries, and indicates the country that certified the windshield. My Palio has E2 on the windows - meaning France ,E8 on the front windshield, meaning Czech Republic and E1 on the rear windshield meaning Germany.

6. If the windshield has the E code on it, you may see a number above the E code, in roman numerals, that is likely slanted. The codes mean:

/ Extra Durable Windshield
// Regular Multiple Layer Windshield
/// Multiple layer windshield that underwent special treatment
IV Plastic Glass
V Non-windshield glass, tinting less than 70%
VI Double glass with tinting less than 70%
None Non-windshields with tinting less than 70%

My front windshield has //. The rest have nothing.

7. There is no such thing as 100% VLT. The final VLT% is the VLT% of the glass multiplied by the VLT% of the film. Therefore, if you put 70% VLT film on 70% VLT glass, then the final VLT is 49%

Sources and more reading for those who are interested:

Everything-Youve-Always-Wanted-to-Know-About-Glass-But-Were-Afraid-to-Ask
How-to-Calculate-Window-Tint-Visible-Light-Transmission
Everything-about-Car-Windshields

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 14th May 2012 at 13:07.
PatchyBoy is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 13:04   #1505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
iPhone / iPod Touch owners - there is an App called iTint in the Apple store that allows you to measure the VLT using your apple device

Rajan
don't bother installing that, not of any help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Isn't this sort of draconian legislation quite silly?
Given of course that we live in a hot sunny climate and do require protection from UV radiation, to say nothing of the increased efficiency of the air conditioning and by extension, improved fuel efficiency?
Personally I shall wait a it before ripping that film off.
i've got my tints removed and its just OEM glass right now. i've a query though - how do i check what is the VLT of the OEM glass. its says Transparency 70% Min, but i'm not so sure. it looks almost plain!

this morning on my drive to office i felt pretty vulnerable. i mean, everyone could just see right through what's inside the car! i can only imagine how insecure women would feel in such situations (my wife's already cribbing) and more so when they're driving alone! now THAT is a security risk for women!

when i had the tints on, i could make do without the a/c by having the left front passenger window down 25% and driver side down by 75%. however, with the tints removed within 10mins the cabin became hot (specially if you're stuck in long traffic jams) and i had to roll up the windows and switch on the a/c. where earlier the blower speed would have sufficed at 1 with the tints, i had to put it at position 2 post the tint removal for the same cooling!

i'm

Last edited by IronH4WK : 14th May 2012 at 13:06.
Old 14th May 2012, 13:05   #1506
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Isn't this sort of draconian legislation quite silly?
Personally I shall wait a it before ripping that film off.
This is utterly bizarre! One of my cars has sun-film while the other one does not so just like you I will also play a wait-and-watch game for now. I recall reading some where that the sun-films market in India is pegged at Rs. ~1,500 crore! What will all those manufacturers do now?
Old 14th May 2012, 13:17   #1507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa
I recall reading some where that the sun-films market in India is pegged at Rs. ~1,500 crore! What will all those manufacturers do now?
Those manufacturers will enjoy 2,500 crore market due to this 'game'.
mukeshgoel is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 13:22   #1508
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
I recall reading some where that the sun-films market in India is pegged at Rs. ~1,500 crore! What will all those manufacturers do now?
I feel the Manufacturers are just facing a temporary loss of Business & accumulation of stocks.

There are only two possible scenarios possible in near future:
1. PIL is filled & there is stay on Supreme Court Judgement
2. Couple of months pass by & everyone forgets everything

I feel the second scenario is most probably going to happen.

In either of the above cases, it is the Sunfilm Manufacturers & Dealers who are going to make most of the money.

They will once again get business from new Car Buyers + those unlucky Car owners who removed their Sunfilms will come back to them to buy lighter shades of Sunfilms. I am also sure that Prices of Sunfilms will increase once people will start buying them again.

Thanks,
Old 14th May 2012, 13:27   #1509
Distinguished - BHPian

It suddenly struck me - what did anyone, including the traffic police in various cities, do about disposing of tons of non-biodegradable plastic waste that was generated by the removal of sunfilms, in an environment-friendly manner?
Old 14th May 2012, 13:32   #1510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
The devils have plotted this one nice. After 19th May Bangalore Police will start ripping off the Sunfilms. By 1st of July, the court starts again. Any restraining order if passed will come by mid of July. Nice business for the Sunfilm makers. Who are they fooling by filing a counter-petition just before the court was to go into holiday?
Now if you want to wait it out, actually you have to wait one and half month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
In either of the above cases, it is the Sunfilm Manufacturers & Dealers who are going to make most of the money.
Thanks,
Got to understand that the top courts have a system of nominating vacation judges, who are available during the vacation time of the Supreme court to hear 'urgent matters'. Read the below circular from the Supreme Court website-

http://supremecourtofindia.nic.in/ou...on24042012.pdf

Since this case is of great national importance affecting lakhs of our countrymen, it can be moved to hear such matters. I am not an expert in this area, but legal experts in this forum can explain if this can be done.

If so then all the talk about the SC on vacation and matter only to be taken up later holds no ground and an absolute excuse by the parties who may not be interested to get it expedited in the first place (read film manufacturers and related groups)

Last edited by girishglg : 14th May 2012 at 13:45.
Old 14th May 2012, 13:34   #1511
Senior - BHPian

You may find all of the mess in one of the trash dumps, none would have even thought about the environment part..

am pretty surprised still the Sunfilm firms are keeping quiet? forgive my ignorance if they have already acted so far??

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
It suddenly struck me - what did anyone, including the traffic police in various cities, do about disposing of tons of non-biodegradable plastic waste that was generated by the removal of sunfilms, in an environment-friendly manner?
Old 14th May 2012, 13:42   #1512
BHPian

I got mine removed at 3M Car Care. The 3M guys were suggesting to wait till 19th May as there is an appeal being put forth against the ruling.

Nevertheless I got mine removed. They did a pretty swift and precise job of it. First they blowed hot air on to the window and then blade peeled of the film and then finally washed the glass of any glue residue.
Old 14th May 2012, 14:09   #1513
Senior - BHPian

I am sure we are beating a dead horse.

The rule is for no addon to OEM automotive glass and thus I got RTO approved removed on my car of my own accord. It was expensive and heart wrenching. The AC works overtime to cool, mine was transparent very very light shade, even that cops did not stop me at the check post (maybe Gurgaonites have darkest shades), however in all fairness my mother wanted me to think of the pain of a girl being abused I a tinted car than the pain of money going down the drain.

I would want everyone to think twice before thinking of business gains and money. Instead of thinking of reasons not to remove it we should maintain vigil on the people those who don't remove it and also the government authorities. Collaborated evidence thus collected can be made popular for SC to act against them.

Remember the scars of mental, physical torture is more than one's money or inconvenience.
Sn1p3r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 14:18   #1514
BHPian

Understand that there is something called a SLP - Special Leave Petition that can be filed. Not sure if it is applicable to SC.

Coming back to removing films on vehicles, technically then all Bus transport, long distance, as well as Volvo's need to have "all" the films removed. Wonder how BMTC is planning to do the same.
Old 14th May 2012, 14:22   #1515
Senior - BHPian

@Sn1p3r: Don't you think lone women drivers will be more likely to be harassed now that glass panes are clear?

The real problem was the sheer ineptness of our Police force. They were busy collecting hafta and licking Political boots rather than to enforce a law strictly. Put accused, no matter how well connected behind the bars and the whole issue will vanish in thin air.

Just wait till the crime reports start coming in from the region of lone women drivers in clear glass pane cars getting targeted.

This is also a case study of middle class mentality.
This thread is 100 pages long now. Lot of voices. But has anyone (include despicable me) has actually walked up to the courts and filed a counter petition?

"Do not mess with courts. Its a quagmire which will swallow 15 yrs of your life" seems to be too deeply ingrained in our mentality. No wonder everyone from every section of society is fleecing us off.
download2live is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks