Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2012, 14:28   #1516
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Coming back to removing films on vehicles, technically then all Bus transport, long distance, as well as Volvo's need to have "all" the films removed. Wonder how BMTC is planning to do the same.
I believe the latest Supreme Court Judgement is only for Cars. I guess there is no mention of Luxury Intercity Buses & Buses in City. If that is not the case then the City Bus operators would loose the big money that they ae making by allowing advertisers to paste advertisements on entire exterior body of a Bus. Also I recently saw a Intercity Volvo Bus with advertisements on its entire outer body.

Even if the said Judgement is applicable to Buses, I am sure the respective Intercity Bus Operators Union will come togahter, call for a strike & somehow delay the removal of Sunfilms.

Sorry for being cynical, but it is always common man who is easiest target in India & he has no union or voice who can speak for their rights.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 14:30   #1517
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick

I guess the waiting game can be dicey. Just now heard from my friend that he was pulled up near sarjapura road by the cops, though he was not fined but he was told to remove the film and also asked why he had not participated in the last weekends sunfilm removal drive organized by Bangalore Traffic Police
Cool. But I was not even in the country at the time so I will fiddle a bit.
Old 14th May 2012, 14:32   #1518
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

I have a query for people Bangalore who have visited the camps organized by the BTP

one of my friend when to Indiranagar BDA and said that he was charged 100rs for getting the sun films removed.

As per the police ads, this was suppose to be a free camp.

Are there anyone who got this service ? please give your feedback
Old 14th May 2012, 14:45   #1519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
I have a query for people Bangalore who have visited the camps organized by the BTP

one of my friend when to Indiranagar BDA and said that he was charged 100rs for getting the sun films removed.

Have not heard if anyone has visited those centers in my friend circle but today when coming near Ashoka pillar (near that track n field stadium), saw a lot of folks checking with cars with tints if they want to remove the films. Infact a lot of cars were actually getting it removed on the road side creating a traffic jam. I saw one of these so called windshield experts actually has a spray bottle with couple of paper cutters, god save the car glass.

As far as the litter goes well it was all lying on the road some flying off to different parts of the road due to wind. I guess BBMP will have more work to do cleaning the streets if they ever do
Old 14th May 2012, 14:51   #1520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The general opinions on the net are that since it is a supposedly free service, they are pretty reckless too. On the BTP's FB page, I saw one guy who said he was asked for 600Rs, and they even threatened him that they will scratch his glasses if he did not pay up.
Another friend of mine was asked 200 Rs. at Indiranagar RTO, but he coolly stated that the service was free as per BTP and called the on duty cop and pointed this to him. The cop told the sunflim remover that they should not take money from the car owners as they were already being paid by BTP. So my friend got his done for free.
Another friend got it done from 3M and paid 399 for it. . They were pretty quick and professional in removing the sunfilms.They also took care of the residual glue and he got squeaky clean windows after that. Its the cost for peace of mind.
Old 14th May 2012, 14:55   #1521
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
I believe the latest Supreme Court Judgement is only for Cars. I guess there is no mention of Luxury Intercity Buses & Buses in City. If that is not the case then the City Bus operators would loose the big money that they ae making by allowing advertisers to paste advertisements on entire exterior body of a Bus. Also I recently saw a Intercity Volvo Bus with advertisements on its entire outer body.

Even if the said Judgement is applicable to Buses, I am sure the respective Intercity Bus Operators Union will come togahter, call for a strike & somehow delay the removal of Sunfilms.

Sorry for being cynical, but it is always common man who is easiest target in India & he has no union or voice who can speak for their rights.

Thanks,
Nice observation. The Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989 applies to all motor vehicles. SC ruling applies to "Cars". There are at least 3 instances in the ruling where "Car" is specifically mentioned.

Maybe I should just sell my car and buy another vehicle that is not classified as a car and put 5% VLT film all around

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 14th May 2012 at 14:59.
PatchyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 14:56   #1522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
The general opinions on the net are that since it is a supposedly free service, they are pretty reckless too. On the BTP's FB page, I saw one guy who said he was asked for 600Rs, and they even threatened him that they will scratch his glasses if he did not pay up.
Another friend of mine was asked 200 Rs. at Indiranagar RTO, but he coolly stated that the service was free as per BTP and called the on duty cop and pointed this to him. The cop told the sunflim remover that they should not take money from the car owners as they were already being paid by BTP. So my friend got his done for free.
Another friend got it done from 3M and paid 399 for it. . They were pretty quick and professional in removing the sunfilms.They also took care of the residual glue and he got squeaky clean windows after that. Its the cost for peace of mind.
These camps are supposedly run by the BTP. and they are present at the site. Looks like they are taking common people for a ride(some might even ask.. kitna loge ?) I also doubt if the cop does not get his share of the commission for such collection

Anyway after hearing all this, i guess i will go for DIY solution before deciding to go to professionals, instead of paying 100-200 to roadside experts.
Old 14th May 2012, 15:15   #1523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Nice observation. The Central Motor Vehicles Rules 1989 applies to all motor vehicles. SC ruling applies to "Cars". There are at least 3 instances in the ruling where "Car" is specifically mentioned.
Maybe I should just sell my car and buy another vehicle that is not classified as a car and put 5% VLT film all around. Rajan
Hello PatchyBoy,

Thank you for the appreciation.

Does not it seem strange? The Supreme Court Judgement seems to apply only to Cars.

Do they mean to say that the crime against women can only happen in passenger Car? I feel a lone women travelling in Volvo Bus or City A/c Bus with Black Sunfilm or Advertisement on glass is equally at risk of being molested.

But as I said above, we have multiple Trade Unions in each & every Industry below are few examples:
1. School Bus operators in Mumbai have a Union & they are currently fighting against new rules & regulations for School Buses
2. Auto Rixa & Taxi Mens association - They have delayed installation of Electric Meters in Mumbai by many years & they are open rigging the existing meters. Infact these Union are operated by Political Parties & they fight tooth & nail to hold interest of "poor" Rixa & Taxi owners.
3. School / College Teachers have their Union & they go on strike regularly for Pay HIke & other facilities.
The examples like above can be seen in practically each & every trade & these Union literally fight with Authorities / Givernment to protect interest of their members.

My point in mentioning the above is that there is no Union of Common Man, who can voice our concerns or fight for our basic rights. Even the Political Parties who are backing some or other Unions would never speak against this Supreme Court Judgement because no Traffic Constable will dare to fine a Corporator or MLA's car with Black Sunfilm.

Thanks,
Old 14th May 2012, 15:30   #1524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

There was a big queue at Madhavan Park centre when my friend reached there. An agent approached him and demanded Rs. 300 to get the film removed without any waiting. He paid Rs. 150 after negotiation and got the work done immediately.

I think this guy is not employed by BTP for the camp.
Old 14th May 2012, 15:33   #1525
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

3M in H S R layout is willing to perform the film removal for Rs 450. They will do it carefully so it should be money well spent.
Old 14th May 2012, 15:44   #1526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
Its quite apparent now that this law has been passed as a combined effort of the sunfilm manufacturers, accessory dealers, car dealers and all related. They'd earn anything between 200-500 for the sun film removal and once the law is amended, people would rush to install sunfims once again, when these products would be sold at a premium (higher cost).

What a culmination of a vicious sequence!

I would recommend people NOT to remove sunfilms but to wait and watch. If necessary, use public transport or your old trustworthy vehicle. THIS LAW WOULD BE AMENDED - That's for sure! Sometime or later when the sunfilm industry is affected, they would react.

This may take time as their existing stock would not rot but because most dealers stock such products on credit and when the sunfilm sale reduces to zero, they would not be in a position to pay back to the sunfilm companies for the stock they obtained - hence there would be a reaction. Just wait and watch!

In fact, I'm sure their people are watching this forum as well, in disguise!
I'm not sure if the highest court of this country would pass a judgement just to please a particular segment of people/industry.
Old 14th May 2012, 15:48   #1527
Senior - BHPian

The sunfilms on my car are 5 years old (cheap Garware ones costing Rs. 1800 in 2006).
For the last few months, I was planning to get some better quality films on the sides at least since the current ones are probably end of life and not effective.

Note: I am aware of the ruling and the current action from law enforcement.

My question is if the rates of the sunfilms have gone down recently (due to stock pile up?).
Old 14th May 2012, 15:49   #1528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post

Maybe I should just sell my car and buy another vehicle that is not classified as a car and put 5% VLT film all around

Rajan
You are right at 3 places they mentioned Car. But order is applicable for "vehicle with black film" and reiterated Rule 100 of the Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989.

So this order clarified the use of sunfilim and how it is in line with section 100 of Motor Vehicle Rule 1989.

In a nutshell "Applicable for all Vehicle"
Old 14th May 2012, 16:10   #1529
BHPian

Now that SC has banned all films, the rates should go down.
After sometime, Garware and the likes suit would be taken up and films allowed.
Also, after 6-7 months cops would eventually stop checking for films (unless may be if it is too evident).

How about buying a very light tinted / no tints (say 5%) film now at cheaper rates and using it after few months / after SC clears this?
Flip side would be, if SC allows at the same rates, the now-bought films would be lighter, thats probably okay!
babu.sundaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 16:37   #1530
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
Got stopped by the police at Pune Univ Chowk in the morning, and he pulled out a magic meter which told him my film gave a reading of 22, whereas it should be 50 or more.

:(

Now I guess I have to strip it off... privacy isnt that big a issue, but having to tear it off certainly is! Can anyone suggest a good place to get the film removed, and maybe fitted with something that is within limit, AND also good at keeping out the heat? Please suggest urgently.. before the police get tired and I change my mind!
I had done filming at Sunny car decor on JM road on my old Indica, had good experience and it lasted forever, I would suggest that. I think you can also check Carex (Or Carax, not sure how they spell it) at the end of Baner road on the Pune by-pass. They have good variety, could be a little costlier.

Btw, do you remember what grade and manufacturer your filming was?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks