Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2012, 16:51   #1531
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
Can anyone suggest a good place to get the film removed, and maybe fitted with something that is within limit, AND also good at keeping out the heat? Please suggest urgently.. before the police get tired and I change my mind!
In your shoes, I would get a set of curtains/ rolled blinds installed. As far as I know there is no ruling against that. That would probably look like a VW bus from the 70s, but thats what I would do.

I better stay safe from the sun and all sorts of petty criminals with prying eyes. If I see some cops, I will pull the curtains/ blinds open.

And I will stay clear of University chowk, or probably pay a visit on my bike. Scratch that, they will find something else. I will walk down and try to find out what they have been asked to interpret. And while I am at it, maybe find out where they got those space age meters from.

Last edited by selfdrive : 14th May 2012 at 16:52.
Old 14th May 2012, 17:03   #1532
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
3M in H S R layout is willing to perform the film removal for Rs 450. They will do it carefully so it should be money well spent.
follow the DIY thread and you too can do it at home. then it will be money well saved
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 17:05   #1533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
@abhijeet post this on DTP facebook with complete number.
Yeah!
Will do that today evening for sure!
Old 14th May 2012, 17:14   #1534
Team-BHP Support

What about factory installed sunfilms. My Wagon R Vxi has Maruti Temperlite installed.

Would that be in violation of the law?
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 17:16   #1535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
What about factory installed sunfilms. My Wagon R Vxi has Maruti Temperlite installed.

yes. no sun films whatsoever. only OEM tinted glasses, that too only if they're 70/50.
Old 14th May 2012, 17:43   #1536
Senior - BHPian

Drove from Sector 47 to Janakpuri and back. No sun film removal, no cops even when the weather was quite cool. Looks like the removal drive is not intensified.
Old 14th May 2012, 18:10   #1537
Senior - BHPian

Now this is one law with which I should not have any issues since none of our cars have sun-film on them - just the tinted glass that came from factory.
Recently my BIL got sun-film fixed on our '99 M800 which he has been using and if cops in Kerala implement the ban, those will need to be removed.

I drive in Chennai (arguably one of the hottest cities in India) and apart from those rare times (rising/setting sun) when I had to use the sun-visor, I have been OK without sun-film.
A/c is for most of the year at Fan speed #1 and during the hottest months at speed #2, but nothing unmanageable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatro
Now coming back to the tints, I see people passing statements against the law, but no one thinks of how it could reduce driver errors caused by low visibility of the rear and the sides on the roads. Another point is about the low visibity of roads at nights and during monsoons due to darker tints.
Could not agree more. I dropped the idea of putting tints on my car after driving a friend's Zen that had tinted glasses and it felt like driving blind - especially in the evenings.

I see some mentioning about women being at risk due to driving in tint-free cars. We dont (generally) have such issues down south, but even in places where this happens, aren't they safe inside locked cars, tint or not ? And if they are unsafe in cars, what about the women on bikes ?

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 14th May 2012 at 18:11.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 18:29   #1538
BHPian

My friend took his vista to the Police station to check to see what the actual scenario is, he has put very light film on his car. The police guys told him its fine, apparently as long as you can see the person sitting inside, it is permissible, maybe opinions vary?
Knight Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 18:37   #1539
AWD
BHPian

In our City Cops have already mellowed down & one can see cars with light films roaming around freely. At a barricade Yesterday, I saw cops letting off vehicles with darker films too. Now few made them talk on the phone, others may have used differnet means but the end result was that most were let off.

Let summer heat, UV, etc. remain but what about the "right to privacy", does something like this exist here or not...?
Old 14th May 2012, 18:39   #1540
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Temperlite would be the brand of the glass itself and not the film. As per the SC ruling, no film is allowed.

Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 18:50   #1541
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Temperlite would be the brand of the glass itself and not the film. As per the SC ruling, no film is allowed.

Rajan
Temperlite is glass brand. Honda Civic also comes with temperlite.
Old 14th May 2012, 19:31   #1542
BHPian

Vehicle with SUPER dark tint definitely required some action from the authority but the rule to say that tint with permissible visibility is also not permitted kills the good intention of SC.
I believe the best approach would have been to pass the rule that no manufacturer should make the tint which is not meeting the permissible limit. Guess this would have been a better way of handling the dark glass issue
Any idea on the review petition?
Old 14th May 2012, 19:43   #1543
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE: Yesterday drove from dwarka to cp, via mayapuri, ring road, then went to india gate, then back home dwarka, no cop activity on the whole route regarding films .

Today went from dwarka to vikaspuri and back in morning and now from dwarka to tagore garden and back, no cop activity again on the whole route, and i am still continuing with sun films, looks like they stopped the whole sun film drive.

Cheers
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 19:52   #1544
BHPian

A very good point on the Facebook page

Quote:
2.5 million cars were sold in India last year.
The total populations of cars in India is about 30 million. 95% of these have films fitted. People fix the films as these were permitted by law and the RTO approved them.
Overnight, everybody will be penalized for no fault of their's.
Are all these crimes only happening at day times when there is bright sunlight ?
What about evenings and nights when anyway with our darkened streets (5% of Indian roads have street lights) makes everything inside a car invisible ?
All Jeeps, Minivans and even Rickshaws either have no windows or the windows can be easily covered with their canvas tops.

The application of Film with appropriate light transmission (i.e light colored) helps to block harmful cancer causing UV rays. It also rejects most of the heat thereby improving the air-conditioning efficiency and hence, the fuel consumption, saving millions of rupees.

If the kidnapping is happening in automobiles, why not ban the automobiles ?
It will be difficult to kidnap and carry people on bicycles !

The solution should be as in the developed world, every country in the world such as the USA, Europe, Russia, South America, China etc. allow the use of films to protect individuals.
There are laws to govern the VLT (visible light transmission).

If our police force do not have meters to check these films, a simple method as is followed in Germany can be adopted. The film manufacturers should be made responsible to print the VLT number prominently on the film in such a way that the same cannot be erased (say laser etching). This will both serve the purpose as well as make the detection easy.

I am quite confident that our honorable law making bodies will appreciate the reality and India would not be made to look like a banana republic.

2.5 million cars... | Facebook

Last edited by bblost : 15th May 2012 at 00:23. Reason: Please do not post with the entire text in bold format.
Waggy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 19:53   #1545
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Rider View Post
My friend took his vista to the Police station to check to see what the actual scenario is, he has put very light film on his car. The police guys told him its fine, apparently as long as you can see the person sitting inside, it is permissible, maybe opinions vary?
Is it from cochin or bangalore police station?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed