Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2012, 19:55   #1546
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
Is it from cochin or bangalore police station?
This was in Bangalore (Kadugudi police station)
Knight Rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 20:38   #1547
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Update in Mumbai.

I saw a police T-Qualis begin driven on SV road near pawan hans which had it's sun films removed.I could tell so because it had those glue marks & streaks which are left behind if the sun film is removed.
Old 14th May 2012, 20:45   #1548
BHPian

The Chaos of getting the films removed has started in this part of Bangalore. i mean in areas like Gnanabharathi, Vijaynagar and nagarbhavi. This noon was like some festival in the car accesssories centers with so many cars getting the films removed.

They are charging 250 and 150. It is 150 if the adhesive is not much and 250 if the adhesive is high and the glasses are to be cleared of residue.

While driving back this evening, i could see the footpaths in the front of the accessories shops with removed film.
Old 14th May 2012, 22:52   #1549
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD View Post
In our City Cops have already mellowed down & one can see cars with light films roaming around freely. At a barricade Yesterday, I saw cops letting off vehicles with darker films too. Now few made them talk on the phone, others may have used differnet means but the end result was that most were let off.
Yeah! Until one day a rouge cop looking for greasy money decides to extort you... consider the situation where you did no wrong and want to put your foot down and challenge his desire to fine you for an unrelated traffic offense, and then the cop reminds you that you should tear down the sunfilm at once on the spot or else he will impound your vehicle right there. The tables will be turned and one will quietly grumble and decide to pay up rather than do a crude blade job on your car right there.
Quote:
Let summer heat, UV, etc. remain but what about the "right to privacy", does something like this exist here or not...?
I sense a hidden motive behind this petition and the authorities that support it namely - moral policing. Deny young couples their right to privacy.

--R
Old 14th May 2012, 22:55   #1550
BANNED

Waiting for that day when we'll hear you can use 50/70 tints AGAIN
So far it's not going any good.
Old 14th May 2012, 23:00   #1551
BHPian

I just got my 3M films removed today evening at 3M - HSR Layout, where I got them installed 3 weeks ago. Got a chance to talk to Sidhu who expressed sorry for this sad incident. He was so kind to get the films removed free of cost. Although I have yet to test the defogger, I have a gut feeling that it is not damaged. The 3M staff were very careful while removing the rear film. They used some solution to soak it and then used a blower/dryer from outside to make the glass warm while pulling off the film slowly from inside. At all times they were using 3M recommended things to peel off and clean like the blade, shampoo etc. Now, why didn't I wait till the last day? I had CS-30's installed on sides and rear as there was no strict rules before. But, I feel that the rule is going to be strict about 70% and 50% VLTs respectively for the front and sides even if the current blanket rule is put on hold or reverted. I think those who has films in comply with the previous rule installed should still wait and see.

Last edited by rajni : 14th May 2012 at 23:05.
Old 14th May 2012, 23:09   #1552
BHPian

I am still confused about all this. Is it - no tints at all , RTO approved tints (70 - 50 visibility) or manufacturer installed tints only?

BTW, saw this street side ad today:

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-image2403824351.jpg
Old 14th May 2012, 23:16   #1553
BHPian

What I understood from the original SC sentence on this as I read in this thread and news paper was that *NO* sunfilms of any VLT or any other material that reduce the VLT to any level is allowed. The only exception is the manufacturer-fitted (not dealer) tinted glasses. These are glasses with tinted color and filmed.

Last edited by rajni : 14th May 2012 at 23:18. Reason: correcting the sentence
Old 14th May 2012, 23:29   #1554
Distinguished - BHPian

General Request...

Many people have the name of their city/region/state/etc under 'location.' For those that don't, and are reporting events in their home areas, it would be nice if they would mention their actual locality in every such post, even if they feel they are repeating themselves. Some of us have short attention spans, lousy memories, or even need to skip pages of this very busy thread sometimes.

(Oh, and Chennai seems still to be ignoring the whole thing...)
Old 14th May 2012, 23:48   #1555
Senior - BHPian

Saw some checking going on in Dwarka Sector 9 today and Sector 12 yesterday. My car has very light tints which cant be really be made out (although the label says 50 and 70 %, I dont really believe it,feel they are lighter, almost fully clear). Though the barricades were placed and the cops were scrutinizing every passing car, they could nt really make out my tints and I passed along. Either they could nt make out my tints or they are really after only the dark tinted ones.

I however have decided to play along. If they remove, no problem will pay the fine whatever it is, else well and good. I have a feeling once this is challenged in the court we may get some sort of stay.
Old 15th May 2012, 00:30   #1556
BHPian

Btw this may be off topic. In many of the previous posts people have complained that why should we be complaining about the blanket ban on sun films,when other countries which are hotter than us have "no sun film" policy.

These are the policies in the following countries:-
1. Dubai and UAE in its entirety allow 30% tinting of the windows. As far as sun film goes, most of the automotive shops sell them. As i checked on the 3m UAE website 40% and 70% VLT films are allowed.

2. In the United States, the federal law states, no tinting of the windows other than by the manufacturer.
Various states have their own laws further which sometimes arent homologated. But most commonly, the immediate left and right windows adjacent to the driver should not have any extra tint or sunfilm other than the default one.
However the passenger windows can have VLT not less than 30-40% on an average.
New Jersey law states that No tint is allowed on the front windshield and none on the driver's side. Any darkness tints can be used on the passenger and rear windshields. But if rear windshields have darker tints then ORVMs should be present on both sides of the car i.e Right and left.

However, New York law allows non reflective tints for upto 6 inches of the top of the front windshield and VLT 70% on all passenger windows but no restriction on the rear winshield. Dark rear windshields can be used on vehicles with ORVMs on both sides. Medical exemptions are allowed.

Both the states and almost all the states rather allow Medical Exemptions on the tinting of car windows.

UK laws allow 75% VLT only, below that there is prohibition on movement of the vehicle and 2000pounds fine. For a legal window tint in the UK the specifications are:
a) Motor Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1985
b) The light transmitted through the windscreen must be at least 75%.
c) The front side windows (to either side of the drivers’ head) must allow at least 70% of light to be transmitted through them.

I found these specifications after going through various DoT websites for all these countries. Also I was seeing custom car worskhops on tv and most of the vehicles either came in or went out with tints. I dont understand why some people are claiming tints are banned everywhere else in the world. It doesnt mean crime doesnt happen in the rest of the world. New york has a lot of rape cases, assaults, molestations every month, but there isnt a ban on tints inconveniencing the law abiding citizens. Dont understand why we Indians have to undergo all this hassle. Never has the law abiding common man been spared the rod here. All we end up doing is pay for the legal things and again pay to remove the legal things once they are banned. Only the authorities are having a fun time in this merry go round challaning and collecting enormous fines in the process.

you are free to correct me if Im wrong.

Cheers!
Parthasarathig is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th May 2012, 01:03   #1557
BHPian

Checking is still on in Delhi and Noida: Went to CP on Sunday, cops were stoping cars with dark films. Same was the case on Noida enterance on Saturady.
Old 15th May 2012, 01:46   #1558
BHPian

Update from Pune... after being caught and fined last Wed, it's been a smooth few days with no cops bothering about the film... even though I met a few on the roads, stopping traffic offenders, no action seems be on against the tints.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
I had done filming at Sunny car decor on JM road on my old Indica, had good experience and it lasted forever, I would suggest that. I think you can also check Carex (Or Carax, not sure how they spell it) at the end of Baner road on the Pune by-pass. They have good variety, could be a little costlier.

Btw, do you remember what grade and manufacturer your filming was?
Oh, all my cars and those of my friends, have been done at Sunny's Don't remember what is on my Endy, but it was also from Sunny, and was "RTO approved" at that time... although the SC decision simply makes this a non-issue.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 15th May 2012 at 10:26. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Plz use the Edit button if posting within 30 mins of the previous post.
Old 15th May 2012, 01:59   #1559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddheshb View Post
Update from Pune... after being caught and fined last Wed, it's been a smooth few days with no cops bothering about the film... even though I met a few on the roads, stopping traffic offenders, no action seems be on against the tints.
Hey you mean, fined for tinted glass or some other reason?

and if it is for tint then how much fine they are charging? I have not removed the film yet, hoping this to settle down.

-Sanju
Old 15th May 2012, 02:00   #1560
BHPian

100 bucks, with receipt, for the tint.. me a responsible driver, you see
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks