Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2012, 12:47   #1696
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Today at Madhavan Park ..
All cars were stopped, or only cars with notice-able tints ?
Old 17th May 2012, 12:47   #1697
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I think you meant to say the VLT will drop to below 70%, not exceed.
For Bangalore folks, I read in carwale.com, that the DGP has given the citizens time till 31st May to comply with the Supreme court order. I am going to wait till May 28th or so and then get my sunfilms removed. I have one on my windshield too, but thats transparent (and illegal since its 70% VLT which coupled with the glass VLT might come to 49% VLT). I think I will hold on to it. It helps me during night driving by cutting down on the glare from high beam headlights (morons never dim & dip).
Can you please share the link ?
Both Facebook and the official Bangalore traffic police website still talk about the 19th May deadline.
Old 17th May 2012, 13:08   #1698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Both Facebook and the official Bangalore traffic police website still talk about the 19th May deadline.
Here you go.

The CarWale Daily Fuel
Old 17th May 2012, 13:22   #1699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
One of the guys posted this on BTP facebook page few minutes back....seems like some new date might come.

################################################
Hi.... Today, I went to Indiranagar BDA complex for sun film removal of my car. I found some guys (not from RTO or BTRAC) removing the sun film for 150-200 bucks. I was not sure if this was the camp, and then I saw some BTRAC personnel coming to the complex and these guys (who were removing sun films) vanishing. I checked with the traffic police and they said that the camp is over for now and a new timeline for sun film removal will come. He asked me to wait for the communication from BTRAC and come to the camp for sun film removal, which will be organised again.
###############################################
Old 17th May 2012, 13:24   #1700
BHPian

Looks like theres an extension till 31May in Karnataka

Karnataka Police orders removal of sun films from vehicles by May 31 - The Times of India
Old 17th May 2012, 13:43   #1701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewpn View Post
Nope, this is only for the Western Range and is not valid for Bangalore. I posted this on the BTP page on FB and got their response
aroonanand is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 14:01   #1702
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I so wish this is true, but unless there is a official release, better not believe it.
Old 17th May 2012, 14:42   #1703
Senior - BHPian

In Mangalore aswel sunfilm removal has started, even if they dont fine till this month end in most cases they will remove it. post this month they will get stricter... anyways we have couple of more weeks to hope that there is a stay on this rule.
Old 17th May 2012, 14:43   #1704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
All cars were stopped, or only cars with notice-able tints ?
I think this was a voluentry removals...
Old 17th May 2012, 15:01   #1705
Senior - BHPian

I read in Pune mirror that 2000+ cars have been caught and RTO has collected close to Rs. 2 lac.
Is the fine so high?
Old 17th May 2012, 15:19   #1706
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
I read in Pune mirror that 2000+ cars have been caught and RTO has collected close to Rs. 2 lac.
Is the fine so high?
2000 cars x Rs.100 fine = Rs. 2 lac.
Old 17th May 2012, 15:21   #1707
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Is the fine so high?
Budy 100 Rs for each car. and if the count of cars caught(2000+) is correct 2lac is just about right. isn't it?
Old 17th May 2012, 15:22   #1708
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive
By the way, if anyone has seen the local newspapers in Pune, another campaign is gaining steam to get all consumers to return extra domestic gas cylinders. we will now be forced to maintain a single gas connection per house.
I believe you meant extra gas connections, not extra cylinders. Each connection comes with max 2 cylinders which is OK.
What is not OK is to have more than 1 connection in the same name, which is what I believe they are curbing. I dont see anything wrong in that since it is an illegal practice anyway.

Coming back to topic :
While it is indeed loads of money (and material) going down the drain for all those that have sun-films on their cars, I just hope this is properly enforced and not a temporary thing. Else it will only end up inconveniencing motorists and fattening the wallets of cops(state) and film-fixers.

Advantages I see due to this law are

1) safer driving (due to clearer visibility, especially in evenings/night - this has been acknowledged by couple guys who removed the films on this thread) and thus safer roads for other road-users. Was very clear to me when I drove my friend's Fiesta1.6 to Pondy yesterday - by the time we reached Pondy it was 7-ish and due to the sun-film I felt kinda blind inside the city. Even the view from IRVM/ORVM was darkish during the day. Would not have this issue in my no-film Baleno.

2) better visibility for those behind - Some 10-20 years ago when traffic was lesser, it was enough to just monitor the car in front of you. Today it helps to have an eye on the car in front of the car in front of you and with the dark tints seen in Chennai, this is no longer possible because it is like staring at a wall - zero visibility. A big blessing for people like me who try predictive/preventive driving, and for others too during overtaking for instance.

3) And possibly people would respect others on the highway by not using hi-beams. During my recent trips on NH45, it was a pain to have people behind you always on high-beam which strains your eyes by reflecting off our IRVM/ORVM. IRVM I could set to night-mode and was OK, but nothing much could be done for the ORVMs. A real pain.
These guys if they had dark film might not even be knowing the trouble they are causing others because their dark film does not let in bright light from the car behind.
Now they would know how it feels and maybe make them considerate.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 17th May 2012 at 15:27.
supremeBaleno is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 15:38   #1709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
While it is indeed loads of money (and material) going down the drain...
Was that pun intentional?

There is no proper disposal plan for the discarded films and they are going to literally go down the drain and block them, what with the monsoons just round the corner. It would then be more of the taxpayers money down the drain (pun intended)

Rajan
Old 17th May 2012, 15:52   #1710
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Was that pun intentional?
i dont think so it was intended. He meant to speak about the wasted funds and material which has been consumed.

He does make it look very convincing to remove the films, but for the privacy issue.
nandans2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks