Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2012, 16:49   #1801
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Chennai Traffic Police(CTP) has started sending out SMS, asking to remove the sun films. Its collection time for the cops!!
Old 18th May 2012, 16:58   #1802
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
^^ A definite possibility, I agree. But atleast she is in a car that is stable (4 wheels), can lock the doors/windows and request police help at nearest signal/outpost/police-station.
Biju, in India one has to be highly optimistic to think that calling a cop sitting cooped up inside a car asking for help will actually get you help.
Old 18th May 2012, 17:11   #1803
Senior - BHPian

^^^Benny, that's why I mentioned Chennai specifically.
Here we have cop presence at signals and there are the Qualises/Boleros/Accents and then the cops on bikes. For eg, at the GillNagar park near my place, a Bolero is parked permanently (24 hours) with cops in shifts. They check bikes for papers/helmets etc and this keeps the bad elements away from the women/girls visiting the park. Same for other places in Chennai.

Can't say the same about my town at Kerala.
Old 18th May 2012, 17:22   #1804
Senior - BHPian

My bike has come out of retirement for one month, including week-ends! I will watch what happens.
Old 18th May 2012, 17:28   #1805
Senior - BHPian

Drove from Dwarka to IIT Delhi, then Ghitorni, back to GK 2 yesterday around 10-1 and came back to Dwarka today morning from GK 2. No cop activity on the route, no barricades or tearing off films.

Seems the sun film removal squads are concentrated on certain places only, not removing the films yet, mine are very light and will go on till my luck ends. Paid a good sum of money for them and cant remove it myself, also dont have a commuter bike to travel and its boiling hot these days.
Old 18th May 2012, 18:01   #1806
BHPian

Quote:
I never understood this part. In a country where staring is as common a thing as ice in Alaska, what is the whole deal about this ? OK, a guy on a bike stares at a woman in a car, so what ? After a minute or so, vehicles move on, dont they ? And even if someone stares at a woman and you put film on the car, what about when the woman walks out of the car - she cannot stay in the car for ever right ? Wont she be stared at in malls/colleges/offices, pavement, etc ? Will we cover them all over in sun-film ?
To understand you need to see the issue from a woman's perspective.
One of the biggest benefits of a private car is the kind of 'security' it gives a woman. You wouldn't see a woman standing alone in a road after 10pm or hanging around alone in a public place after 10 pm...
BUT women driving alone even after 11pm is quite common today, atleast in the metros. I have a friend who drives all the way from OMR to the city after 10pm, atleast twice a week . On many occasions my cousin has driven to the airport, well after midnight to drop her husband and comes back alone. That's the kind of security and independence a car gives to a single woman. And most of the times the guy standing next to her at a signal, isn't able to make out it's a single woman because of the sun-film.

Last edited by Daewood : 18th May 2012 at 18:09.
Old 18th May 2012, 18:07   #1807
Senior - BHPian

^^^My point was that staring happens all over the place - not just in cars and tinting car windows does not solve them all. There are many issues women face and staring would be way low in severity. Also all the guys who stare (or even briefly look into a car) are not maniacs. I think we are exaggerating the situation.
Old 18th May 2012, 18:29   #1808

Quote:
^^^My point was that staring happens all over the place - not just in cars and tinting car windows does not solve them all. There are many issues women face and staring would be way low in severity. Also all the guys who stare (or even briefly look into a car) are not maniacs. I think we are exaggerating the situation.
In my humble opinion, this is not just about the staring, but about the security that being invisible to the outside world that the sunfilm provides, especially when driving late at night or in deserted roads. I have seen umpteen cases of people showing off/behaving indecently once they realize that the vehicle is being driven or has a female inside.

Maybe somebody else could answer this better, but if I was a lady, I would feel/be safer if I remained invisible to the external world.
Old 18th May 2012, 18:35   #1809
Senior - BHPian

The Government can fine basic traffic offenses with the help of traffic police and even Law enforcement (Khaki police).

Increase fines 5/10 fold and keep an incentive for cops as high as 50% of the fine amount collected.

So basically If a two wheeler rider without helmet, riding on the footpath on the wrong side of the road in high beam and honking at pedestrians, must be fined Rs 15,000/- (3000 per offence) . A bribe of not less than 5000 should be collected. If this is done for at least a month, the traffice violations would come down 100 fold and also there will be a revenue to the Government.

In the same light of this if the cars that violate 50/70 rule are fined 10,000 per offence (bribe 5000) I am sure the car owner would eventually out of frustration remove the dark film or fall in line with 50/70 rule. Even if one person can afford to pay 10,000 for every offence, he would get frustrated with his car getting pulled over frequently. This way Crime rates would also reduce and India can become a world class country on par with United States / UK.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 18th May 2012 at 18:37.
Old 18th May 2012, 19:08   #1810
BHPian

While driving to work in the morning, noticed the police jeep outside the local police station still with dark sun films. Did not stop to take a picture as I was running late.

Now on the way home, was pleasantly surprised to see the same vehicle at the same spot devoid if the sun film. Thank you Bangalore Police.

Rajan
Old 18th May 2012, 19:44   #1811
BHPian

Cops on DND have become very active around noon.
They slowed the traffic down to snail's pace and were stopping a lot of cars for films.

I luckily slowed down as soon as I saw the barricade coming near and lowered all windows. The cops did not stop me and I passed through safely.

OT: I'm pretty sure I will get fined for speeding as I failed to notice the interceptor on the left. Only thing remains to be found out is if its a fine of Rs. 400 or Rs. 1000.
Old 18th May 2012, 20:02   #1812
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
OT: I'm pretty sure I will get fined for speeding as I failed to notice the interceptor on the left. Only thing remains to be found out is if its a fine of Rs. 400 or Rs. 1000.
As far as I know, over speeding challans can't be sent home. Need to be done on the spot just like sunfilm.
Old 18th May 2012, 20:14   #1813
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhinav.Daos

As far as I know, over speeding challans can't be sent home. Need to be done on the spot just like sunfilm.
I don't know about that.
Almost every morning, the interceptor is there on DND, but they ain't stopping anyone down the road as they used to.

Wonder if its just for deterrence, if what you're saying is right.
Old 18th May 2012, 20:30   #1814
BHPian

I see conflicting reports of the deadline extension in Bangalore to June 5. Can someone confirm if its actually extended?

I will feel like driving a topless car if I remove the sun films.
Old 18th May 2012, 20:31   #1815
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudradeep View Post
In my humble opinion, this is not just about the staring, but about the security that being invisible to the outside world that the sunfilm provides, especially when driving late at night or in deserted roads. I have seen umpteen cases of people showing off/behaving indecently once they realize that the vehicle is being driven or has a female inside.

Maybe somebody else could answer this better, but if I was a lady, I would feel/be safer if I remained invisible to the external world.
Till the rule is reversed, I am planning to use the Vaccuum Cup Shades for the side glass and roller shades for the front glass. One step more would be to install curtains inside the car. Technically no policeman can stop you as the law does not describe "privacy" warrants a fine.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks