Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2012, 11:40   #1846
VSD
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Delhi's traffic commissioner is trying too hard to make the streets a better place, not a thing to complain about. Therefor, the ban on sun films was immediate, Bangalore followed suit on collecting fine and removing films.

I haven't heard anything from Mumbai till now, some friends told me they haven't even bothered with this ruling at all. Lucky for Mumbaikars !!

Somehow i don't get how can they make the streets safe by banning sun films. I don't use any kind on films on the front, and front sides. I just apply them on the back windows. Now, i can't even do that.

If they say they want clear visibility to spot illegal activities or suspicious people, all i want to ask is, how do you spot a persons face through a helmet?
If i were to think like a murderer/rapist/thief/terrorist/etc i could always hide my face behind a helmet, why not ban that as well?
Old 19th May 2012, 11:53   #1847
BHPian

There is no point in debating any further and I think we can wait max for another week to see what will be the situation. My question is can we do it ourself and if yes then basic things like Colin etc will be sufficient or what?
Old 19th May 2012, 12:02   #1848
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
..... My question is can we do it ourself and if yes then basic things like Colin etc will be sufficient or what?
Nope. Colin is detergent based, It can't help you. The Film is stuck with a glue. The film if removed carefully peels off in one stretch (like I did mine). Its the glue you have be worried about. There are four options.

1. Remove the film with the glue, this will need steaming the film inch by inch while removing it (a lot of effort, assuming we do not have steam throwers, unlike what you see on DIY videos from the west where they use steam throwers for general cleaning)
2. Remove the films (peel it off) and then remove the glue. This can be done in 3 ways
(A) Mechanical: use a blade to remove it (you need to be very careful here)
(B) Physical treatment: Use your Press/Iron box with steamer, or a face steamer (this is very slow), steam the glue and wipe of with a cloth
(C) Chemical: Use petrol to dissolve the glue (check the quality of your windshield, if you use too much of this then the glass becomes dull). You could also use benzene, but then you have scrub a lot and you need to really careful not be get it it on the painted parts of your car (its also a paint thinner !)

What ever the method is laborious and stupid! Some real mess the SC and the cops have got us into! What a waste of time, $ and effort! another wasted weekend!
man_and_machine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 12:09   #1849
BHPian

After seeing lots of post saying that OEM glasses carry 70/75% VLT, i got curious, as mine says minimum 75% VLT. So, i checked a few other vehicles and the word 'minimum" is clearly mentioned therein in all cases. This leaves further scope for debate. It nowhere says maximum VLT or actual VLT. So, the glasses of my car has, supposedly, a VLT ranging from 75% towards that impossible 100%. What is the actual VLT of the OEM glass is but anybody's guess. Therefore, putting that 70% VLT films on it might still be within the legally permissible limits.
Well we are all entitled to our own bonafide interpretation of the statute.

Also, someone mentioned about OEM glasses coming with UV protective layers by default. Any pointers towards the same would make me feel at real ease peeling off my sun-film. Should be with respect to Indian cars of course.

As far as PILs against seat covers, sun-glasses, ICE goes, i guess Bull Bars should top the list.

Last edited by mi2n : 19th May 2012 at 12:13.
Old 19th May 2012, 12:10   #1850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
The OEM manufactured glass that we get in cars is already treated for UV Protection. That's why no one is talking about UV rays. We don't need sun-films to prevent UV rays entering into the car.
This is the most humorous post I have seen on this thread.I love your sense of humour.But if you were serious and not joking then
Though UV protected glasses come on some cars but giving a generic statement that all the OEM manufactured glass in indian cars come with UV protection is ridiculous and misleading.

Mod Note: Your point is valid but please make it without resorting to sarcasm- fellow members deserve that much. Thanks!

Last edited by noopster : 20th May 2012 at 11:39. Reason: Refer mod note in post
Alter_Ego is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 12:38   #1851
BHPian

Heard from a friend that there were mulitple police checkposts in the morning at 10th Rd, Juhu and the Juhu-Versova Link Road and almost every second car was being stopped. Can anyone confirm if this was for sunfilms/tints?

I don't think its a coincidence since today's the 19th of May and also the last date I think. However, in my knowledge there has been no prior announcement by local RTO/ Police.
Old 19th May 2012, 13:02   #1852
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock 'n' rollz View Post
Nothing wrong with people questioning the law. But while we are at it there is no good reason for not following the existing law.
I checked my office parking lot. None of the cars have sunfilms installed.
Ditto on roads.
Exceptions
Cars with some indication that they belong to a policeman
Cars with some indication that they belong to a booricrat
Cars with some indication that they belong to a politician/mla/mp

So the common man is following the law. The uncommon man is not.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 13:06   #1853
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Now is this order applicable for A/C DTC buses also? They too have 3M sun films! I am sure DTC has spent lakhs of rupees on these sun films!

Attachment 923027
Did someone notice? Films are gone from the DTC buses in Delhi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I think you should take the picture from the other side of the window for us to be able to comment. The visibility is for the cops from outside.
BTW, here's one of my cars with illegal films at night, as per some novice unsubstantiated theoretical calculations, this is 49% VLT and by that logic 24% VLT pass through the car. You can't commit a crime on the other side of the car! leave alone in the car! And this is illegal?
Attached Thumbnails
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-20120518_201858.jpg  

Last edited by SLK : 19th May 2012 at 13:15.
Old 19th May 2012, 15:00   #1854

I was planning to go for the 3M for my Brio.
Has the rule been passed? I mean has it already been implemented? Has anyone faced trouble with the cops over sunfilm (talking about Mumbai)?
Old 19th May 2012, 15:02   #1855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Hmmm.
It may be called an interceptor, but I know its definitely not equipped to chase even a speeding rickshaw.
Interceptor teams literally set up house.
The intercepting is done by flat foots further down the road.
In Delhi these interceptor used to chase speeding cars with sirens on and if the car didnt stop they stopped them forcibly using driving maneuvers. This used to happen on the Gurgaon and Noida toll a few years back when they were opened for public. But with the number of vehicles violating speed limits I think they figured it would be better to stop them by setting shop at a place.

Last edited by Abhinav.Daos : 19th May 2012 at 15:06.
Old 19th May 2012, 16:23   #1856
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I checked my office parking lot. None of the cars have sunfilms installed.
Ditto on roads.
Exceptions
Cars with some indication that they belong to a policeman
Cars with some indication that they belong to a booricrat
Cars with some indication that they belong to a politician/mla/mp

So the common man is following the law. The uncommon man is not.
Hi Tanveer,

I would disagree on this as there have been instances where police officials upto DGP level have also been challaned and sun film has been removed ON THE SPOT.

Here is a facebook status update from Mr. Satyendra Garg just 3 hours back:

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-tp1.jpg

May be this is a warning for other such influential people, who have not been caught by such police team yet!

Cheers!
Irish

Last edited by Irish : 19th May 2012 at 16:24.
Irish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 19:23   #1857
BHPian

Chennai News: A traffic cop distributing public awarness notices in a signal near Marina Beach. Right before me is a Police Bolero with dark tints.
Attached Thumbnails
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-19052012065.jpg  

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-19052012064.jpg  

Last edited by Marlon : 19th May 2012 at 19:25.
Marlon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 20:08   #1858
BHPian

marlon - wait till 20th may. I am sure every vehicle will be devoid of sun film. It is always for the good.
Old 19th May 2012, 20:18   #1859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan_nandwani View Post
I was planning to go for the 3M for my Brio.
Has the rule been passed? I mean has it already been implemented? Has anyone faced trouble with the cops over sunfilm (talking about Mumbai)?
Better put it on hold and wait for for the smoke to clear.It's being in implemented everywhere else however no action seems to be there as far as mumbai is concerned.Maybe the cops are waiting for a go ahead from their superiors.

Some cases were reported in Thane of people being fined for sun films and had come in the TOI. Save yourself the agony of having to get your 3M peeled off later on.
Old 19th May 2012, 20:28   #1860

what happened to the tbhp members who were going to file a review petition? is that plan still on or.............
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks