Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2012, 19:15   #1876

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

So now what happens if there's a stay or revision in judgement? Lottery for sunfilm manufacturers?

BTW I was talking to one of these sunfilm guys the other day. He was saying it's ok to install tints up to RTO approved levels. The ruling clearly says no aftermarket film whatsover, so I told him that. But he seemed quite confident.
Old 20th May 2012, 19:34   #1877
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Yesterday evening I saw a lot of checking around the Gharda circle with traffic cops on almost all sides of the circle (no kidding!). There was a hatch with dark glasses stopped by a senior cop, but they were also stopping many bikers, so I cound't determine the cause. Didn't see a major drive against films, but then it could be one.

Haven't been out today, so I shall have to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best tomorrow.
Old 20th May 2012, 20:21   #1878
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Removed the film from the Ritz, DIY 2 hrs, Left the rear windscreen and all the quarter glasses.

It was a Garware ice-cool elite and apparently had a lot of glue which had to be removed with blade and a bottle of glass cleaner.

Tried taking out the first window by spraying as i remove to get the glue along with the film but didn't help much. The car was parked away so I couldn't get the steamer (I have a similar looking one as seen in that you-tube video) to the car.
Old 20th May 2012, 20:22   #1879
BHPian

Just a thought. Why can't government permit authorized windshield film certification centers ? These centers function similar to emission testing centers where in each vehicle owner has to get a certificate similar to emission certificate, which states that his wind shield (with film) is within the specified limits.
To make it little more fool proof, they can mandate that vehicle owner should renew this certificate every 6 months ( just to ensure that people dont get a valid certificate and then install a different film)
May be the existing emission test centers themselves can be turned to such test centers for sun films.
Charges for this test should be set to some thing like 30 rs

Hope some one puts this idea to the ears of the supreme court judge who has put the orders to ban sun films stating that govt don't have the infrastructure to purchase light meters.
Old 20th May 2012, 20:47   #1880
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Why can't government permit authorized windshield film certification centers ? These centers function similar to emission testing centers where in each vehicle owner has to get a certificate similar to emission certificate, which states that his wind shield (with film) is within the specified limits.

Hope some one puts this idea to the ears of the supreme court judge who has put the orders to ban sun films stating that govt don't have the infrastructure to purchase light meters.
I suggested this idea a few days back. As I am seeing this - that someone will not come. Even if that someone does try to do something, we will not help that someone, even if it just takes 10 minutes of our time and costs nothing.

One Avishek Goenka gets a ruling to remove all Sun Control Film, under the name of "SAVE AAM ADMI". Is the AAM ADMI really saved? I guess not. And I see no hopes of that happening in the near future either. No one will help us, when we are unwilling to even help someone who is try to help us.

Sorry to sound so negative, I have data to prove what I am saying.

Rajan
Old 20th May 2012, 20:52   #1881
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just a thought. Why can't government permit authorized windshield film certification centers ? These centers function similar to emission testing centers where in each vehicle owner has to get a certificate similar to emission certificate, which states that his wind shield (with film) is within the specified limits.
Similar suggestions have been given earlier in the thread. Again, this is not for SC to decide actually, maybe just as a suggestion to the law-makers at the most.

The problem is the law-makers are sleeping (generally, not specific to this case), which has led to this situation. http://www.supremecourtofindia.nic.i...n_14-10-09.pdf
Old 20th May 2012, 20:58   #1882
Distinguished - BHPian

For guys who have light tints & have not yet removed it:

Suggest to not go to these centers right now, but wait as long as you can. When the rule is enforced, you can remove it yourself in about 1 hour, max 2 hours. I dont see a point in going to these accessories guys, waiting for your turn, and then spending any where upto 600 bucks.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2012, 21:12   #1883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just a thought. Why can't government permit authorized windshield film certification centers ? mselves can be turned to such test centers for sun films.
Charges for this test should be set to some thing like 30 rs
I was the first to already suggest this on the forum. But wasn't really a popular idea judging that so many days later, yours is the first one on similar lines ...
Even if the above was done, first of all, we need to be clear if and which sunfilm VLT can be legally applied on front and side glasses. It seems none are possible on front and rear windshields ...
Also, for side glasses, there can already be a tint from OEM. So, its rather complex to figure out the combo with sunfilm that will be legal...
Old 20th May 2012, 21:19   #1884
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
For guys who have light tints & have not yet removed it:

Suggest to not go to these centers right now, but wait as long as you can. When the rule is enforced, you can remove it yourself in about 1 hour, max 2 hours. I dont see a point in going to these accessories guys, waiting for your turn, and then spending any where upto 600 bucks.
+1, though in my case, I have to drive to Gurgaon, where the fine is Rs. 1000. And I don't want to talk to the Gurgaon cops, leave alone being questioned by them, so I removed the film today.

I'd suggest, not to DIY unless you are the DIY type! you may:
- damage the rubber linings alongside the windows with the blade
- harm yourself with that blade!
- not be able to hold off all the glue from going in the window and sticking to the power window channels/ motors/ speakers.
- need another person's help.
Old 20th May 2012, 21:30   #1885
BHPian

Removed the sunfilm yesterday and today. I had 3M film on all except front. It took a total of 4 hours to remove completely...

Film removal only took 15-mins, but next a labourious process of removing the glue leftover on the glass that took maximum time.

Almost one bottle of Colin is gone..

For those who want to DIY, after removing the sunfilm, just keep on spraying the colin in intervals so that the glue will be wet and you can just remove it using a cloth or even your finger's nail. That is what I did.

Now 6 year old car is looking like a new car . so will not plan to buy a new one...

Also checked the glass specification. And all glasses say that a minimum of 70% VLT is there. Checked it here: http://www.carwindshields.info/windshieldmarkings.htm

My palio's markings are :

Front: // AS1 DOT616 E8
Side/Rear: AS2 DOT 616

Last edited by mahadev_kc : 20th May 2012 at 21:36. Reason: Added glass spec details...
Old 20th May 2012, 23:26   #1886
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Rajni,

That's because the deadline has been extended to June 5 in Bangalore. Haven't you read the various posts yet ? For eg, go through the post # 1824, i think.
Thanks. Yes, I heard about that although I wasn't closely watching the thread after removing my films . What I meant was that the police was said to be stopping people and warn them about black films although the date is extended. It seems it was happening at somewhere in Koramangala yesterday - #1851. But, I haven't yet seen them doing that anywhere. Started seeing more cars with transparent glasses lately at my apartment too :-D
Old 21st May 2012, 02:10   #1887
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahadev_kc View Post
Removed the sunfilm ........took a total of 4 hours to remove completely...

Film removal only took 15-mins, but next a labourious process of removing the glue leftover on the glass that took maximum time.

Almost one bottle of Colin is gone..

For those who want to DIY, after removing the sunfilm, just keep on spraying the colin in intervals so that the glue will be wet and you can just remove it using a cloth or even your finger's nail. That is what I did.
Removed the Sunfilm myself but my removal technique got better and better with each window.

Rear De-Mister window: First I started with the rear window with the de-mister lines. The black film came off easily but the inner transparent layer was stuck on the glass and I had a tough time peeling this off as it came in bits and pieces (It was stuck and fused to the demister lines) and took lot of time and effort wiping off the gum. I was careful not to use a blade or anything sharp to prevent the lines from getting damaged. Spent nearly 2 hours.

Then I just peeled the driver side window, it came off with most of the gum sticking to the window. Again lot of time and effort to scrape the gum with a blade and colin and cloth. Spent one hour.

Then for the next three windows, I realized that the glue needs to be hot so that it can come off easily. So I heated the glass uniformly with a hair dryer and then blew hot hair on the film while pulling it off . The gum came along with the sunfilm and nothing was stuck to the glass. This only took 10 minutes per glass.

So the trick is to either do it in the hot sun when the windows are hot or use something like a hair dryer to heat the glass/film and then pull it off to ensure that the gum doesn't stick to the glass. Saves a lot of trouble dealing with the messy gum sticking to the glass.

A word of caution: Ensure that you wipe off all traces of the gum and that the glass is clean before you use the power window to bring it down. If there is any gum on the glass, then the window can get stuck to the door panel/beading and the power window motor can burn off.

And to scrape off any remaining gum, using a new blade is better as old/used ones are not that effective and can scratch the glass if it has any uneven edges. As much as possible, its better to use a cloth and a glass cleaner to wipe off the gum.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 21st May 2012 at 02:26.
Old 21st May 2012, 02:26   #1888
Senior - BHPian

I really do not know why people are getting hyperactive in removing sunfilms. At least in Bangalore. Are you guys not able to wait it out till 5th July?
I for one will not remove till 5th July. Lets see what they do. My 4k is not going down the drain that smooth an silky.

Let there be a challan of Rs 100. But better wait an watch. I am sure there will be stay order. Or there will be an unspoken understanding of letting the cars with lighter tints go unstopped.
Old 21st May 2012, 02:48   #1889
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
At least in Bangalore. Are you guys not able to wait it out till 5th July?
I for one will not remove till 5th July. Lets see what they do. My 4k is not going down the drain that smooth an silky.
Just in case that was NOT a typo, the date is 5th June and not July. So hardly 15 days more. At least the Bangalore cops have given exact dates, whereas here in Hyderabad I don't even think the cops themselves are aware of such an order from SC

I do not venture much into the city since I drive a KL registered car here but have not seen any crackdown anywhere near the HiTec city region so far with regards to sunfilms. Hope it stays that way till the dust settles and people forget such a thing ever happened.
Old 21st May 2012, 09:47   #1890
BHPian

Even Pune cops do not seem so interested in the sun films. Havent heard of any fines from friends. Was in Thane this weekend. Nothing much there as well.
Is it just few cities where the cops are too keen to harass people?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks