Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2012, 09:47   #1891
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I really do not know why people are getting hyperactive in removing sunfilms. At least in Bangalore. Are you guys not able to wait it out till 5th July?

Let there be a challan of Rs 100. But better wait an watch. I am sure there will be stay order. Or there will be an unspoken understanding of letting the cars with lighter tints go unstopped.
The date announced by BTP is 5th June as deadline.
Regarding the wait and watch approach, well, I guess to each his own. There are many BHPians on this forum who have decided to not get their car out in this summer and would rather use their two wheelers till the ban is lifted or there is clarity. That approach is ok too.

My own mindset is that I would not want to be intentionally caught on the wrong side of the law, irrespective of what is the fine. So like may others on this forum, I have got my sunfilm removed. It did take 2-3 hours of my time, but now, I am happily driving around without having to wait for deadlines or worrying about when will a cop pull me over and challan me. Its worth the peace of mind. And its 100 for the first violation, 200 for the second and confiscation of Drivers license for the subsequent offence. Don't want to go that far at all.

Last edited by hrman : 21st May 2012 at 09:49.
Old 21st May 2012, 10:00   #1892
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Let there be a challan of Rs 100. But better wait an watch. I am sure there will be stay order. Or there will be an unspoken understanding of letting the cars with lighter tints go unstopped.
FYI, Date has been revised to 5th June and the fine also has been revised to 300/- and suspension of license on repeat(earlier it was 100,300 and then suspension for 3rd attempt)

I am one of those who got the sunfilm removed because my sunfilms were Pretty dark(35%),5+ years old and were some cheap garware that my dealer gave away free. So i obviously did not want to pay fine for something that i did not pay while installing

Had i spent 4-5K just like you, may be I too would have given a serious thought to wait and watch. But i can see that day by day, increasingly we are more cars without sun films(i see more cabs running with clear glasses now a days)

After driving good distance over the weekend without sun films, I hardly noticed any additional load on AC because i had my sun films were removed !!!

I am happy with my usual AC settings for peak summer, so makes me doubt the theory of sun films saving my fuel bills. only issue is the direct sunlight hitting from sideways for which i am finding the sun shades very effective.
Old 21st May 2012, 10:07   #1893
BHPian

Quote:
I really do not know why people are getting hyperactive in removing sunfilms. At least in Bangalore. Are you guys not able to wait it out till 5th July?
I for one will not remove till 5th July. Lets see what they do. My 4k is not going down the drain that smooth an silky.

A correction. The deadline is certainly extended till 5th July but the corresponding challan too has been extended from the existing Rs.100 to Rs.300 FYI.
And yes certainly I did see spot checking for tinted cars yesterday ( Outer ring road, JP Morgan, Marathalli) Off course they were not removing films but cautioning motorists for the same.
In my opinion its not worth the hassle of being pulled over at every check-post and being reminded the same things again and again. Would recommend people to remove them for peace of mind.

PS. I do feel bad from peeling off my 3 month old 20%VLT films! but on the bright side, have observed an increasing number of cabs/cars without tints. This ruling has definitely brought out 2 advantages + 2 disadvantages (as currently observed in the weekend drive around bangalore)
Pros:
1. The unruly cabs/maniacs are seemingly driving a lot better now(I think its due to the fact that they are now more exposed and cannot cut you off and hide behind the dark tints. You can certainly catch them up and scowl at the next signal! seems to be working too)
2. The traffic has certainly reduced and the roads are a lot more pliable (maybe due to many grounding their vehicles)

Cons:
1. The high beams at night really irrritate you from all sides especially from behind. I could almost feel my neck burning from the High beams of these Tempo Travellers. This is giving rise to more people driving with their side mirrors closed.
2. I certainly can feel my AC working double time to keep the cabin cool in the hot sunny day rides.

Last edited by racer_m : 21st May 2012 at 10:16.
Old 21st May 2012, 10:16   #1894
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecherian View Post
Charges for this test should be set to some thing like 30 rs
Oh please! Cherian,

Not one more useless expense like the pollution certificate. With all these useless expenses, it feels as if owning cars are a big mistake. Lets not give ideas to the government to fleece the public unnecessarily. Already the public is undergoing tremendous harassment by way of having to pay roadtax and what not, the list is endless.

Last edited by noopster : 21st May 2012 at 11:27. Reason: Fixed quote tag
Old 21st May 2012, 10:18   #1895
Senior - BHPian

The honourable SC in its wisdom on 18 Jul 2005 banned loudspeakers between 10 pm and 6 am. read the whole text here
Noise Pollution, Restrictions On Use Of Loudpspeakers::Supreme Court Judgements
Does anyone recall this? Does anyone implement this? I am regularly awakened at 5 am by loudspeakers from a place of worship.
Coming to the present ruling of tinted windows, I have not removed mine as I am leaving Bangalore on 26th and Mumbai cops have too much on their hands.
Waiting for the ruckus to die down like the noise control rule.
goandude is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 10:57   #1896
Senior - BHPian

As far as owning cars is concerned, the toll one pays is the biggest expense. I am currently paying around Rs. 2 per km.

Update: Travelled from home to Mulund to Office. Yet to see any major drive against sunfilms.
Old 21st May 2012, 11:00   #1897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
The honourable SC in its wisdom on 18 Jul 2005 banned loudspeakers between 10 pm and 6 am.
No Sir, after the SC ruling things have changed drastically and now people do refrain from playing loud music after 10-11 in the night. As regards music being played at place of worship, if someone complains, police is bound to take action but who would bell the cat as our country is already divided on this issue. Its a tricky situation. If the complainant is from other community, riots may follow, if he is from same community, other pressures will follow.
If we talk in % I would say situation is improved at 80-90% of places.
Old 21st May 2012, 11:07   #1898
BHPian

Ok, I too have removed the sunfilm from both my cars.

For Sx4 went to a sunfilm installer.He said that, "Sir, I can't remove from rear windshield as it might damage the defogger and the printed antenna" I asked him to remove from the side windows and he did a decent job, but in the process stained all the door trims.
For rear windshield, I followed the DIY way next day after parking in the sun for few hours. The sunfilm removed and no damage to Defogger or antenna. There is a lot of gum residue which i need to clean.

The surprise was the DIY for removal of film from my i10 Auto. I could remove film from all windows without any glue residue at all. All i did was parked the car in the sun for few hours and used a steamer while removing the film. No damage to defogger as well.
Old 21st May 2012, 11:08   #1899
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Oh please! Cherian,

Not one more useless expense like the pollution certificate. With all these useless expenses, it feels as if owning cars are a big mistake. Lets not give ideas to the government to fleece the public unnecessarily. Already the public is undergoing tremendous harassment by way of having to pay roadtax and what not, the list is endless.
well,
i still believe it is much better than driving your car with no tints.Those who would like to have tints, can have it installed, with certification done and those who don't need it, can have a free run.
This way, people who need tints for safety reasons have a legal way of having it. Certification ensures that people don't install too dark films.

Combining the emission test and sun film testing in to single centres ensures that people don't have to visit multiple centres.

Last edited by noopster : 21st May 2012 at 11:29. Reason: Fixed quote tag
joecherian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 11:38   #1900
BHPian

**Over Promise, Under Delivery** - By Whitefield Honda Motors, Bangalore
I got my job done from the said dealer last Saturday. As they charge whooping 600 + taxes I was of the opinion that job will be done by professionals with great care. I was bit hesitant to DIY since no prior experience. :(

Here comes the sequence of events:
* I book an appointment for Saturday 10AM on Tuesday, appointment taken and confirmed by dealer (I had once read a poster in their customer lounge "take prior appointment to avoid disappointment")
* I reach the dealer at around 9:30 and job card done
* SE promises to deliver the car by 1PM, writes 12PM on job card
* Car left in parking lot till 12PM, I lose my cool
* After some 'shouts' my car is taken to workshop to get the job done
* Since there are many cars in queue, one paint shop guy starts removing the films. Only later I got to know that they have just one (or probably two) professional accessories guys who can do a good job.
* The guy working on my vehicle, not keen to remove the film in one piece, pisses me off.
* Removes the gum from the glass, using some sort of 'tinner' chemical by 'Akzo Noble' and a metal scrapper (not sure what it is called)
* They also remove the sticker "Engine Immobilizer, Ani theft..." from the driver and co-passenger glass which come factory fitted, pisses me further.
* At the time of delivery around 2PM after 3 hours of hard work, I notice small cuts on the rubber bedding of the glass. Perhaps, they used the sharp cutter blade to remove the glue from corners of glass window.
* Some glue marks still seen on rear windshield which I cleaned on Sunday using Mr. Muscles.
* Icing on the cake is the price they charged: Rs.600/- plus taxes adding up to Rs.674/-
* Learning’s, It’s no use to take an appointment to avoid disappointment!!

Should I report to Honda (with pictures may be) ?

Last edited by sary : 21st May 2012 at 11:40.
Old 21st May 2012, 11:47   #1901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sary View Post
yes you should!

been seeing this on overhead MFDs on Indiranagar and IRR. there is no dates mentioned though.
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-_mg_6353.jpg

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-_mg_6416.jpg
IronH4WK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 12:41   #1902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_m View Post
1. The high beams at night really irrritate you from all sides especially from behind. I could almost feel my neck burning from the High beams of these Tempo Travellers. This is giving rise to more people driving with their side mirrors closed.
Glad you brought this up. Bright headlights are such a nuisance and it gets worse without the film to protect you. I wish the police start fining people for bright lights too. This is especially a big problem in my K10 since the miserly manufacturers couldn't even offer a day night RVM (not even available as an accessory when I last checked with the dealer).

I saw the messages for removal of the film on the overhead information displays on Kanakapura road too. It seems the police mean business (no pun intended) this time.

Last edited by CBlazer : 21st May 2012 at 12:43.
Old 21st May 2012, 12:46   #1903
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sary View Post
**Over Promise, Under Delivery** - By Whitefield Honda Motors, Bangalore
I got my job done from the said dealer last Saturday. As they charge whooping 600 + taxes I was of the opinion that job will be done by professionals with great care. I was bit hesitant to DIY since no prior experience. :(

Sad to hear about your story

I have seen Maruti service also charging 400 as well for removing the sun films.
Thanks to the SC ruling and the police drive, sun film removal has become an easy way of making quick money

I wish you had gone to professionals like 3M who would have charged bit lesser for the job
Old 21st May 2012, 13:23   #1904
Senior - BHPian

Chennai cops have started checking for film. I saw cops penalising those with sun-film at atleast 3 locations on my drive from home to work today - at Gemini flyover, under the Medavakkam flyover and on the Chennai-One road (kuppai road).

They were using visual scanning and targetting those with dark film. I did see some cars being waved away even though they have film on (but lighter variety). Could see film flying around on the road - so apart from fining, I guess they are also stripping it off.
At Gemini, saw a Benz SUV stopped and being fined. At other places, saw even cabbies being stopped. Overall, looks like Chennai cops have swung into action.
supremeBaleno is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 13:36   #1905
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Chennai cops have started checking for film. I saw cops penalising those with sun-film at atleast 3 locations on my drive from home to work today - at Gemini flyover, under the Medavakkam flyover and on the Chennai-One road (kuppai road).

They were using visual scanning and targetting those with dark film. I did see some cars being waved away even though they have film on (but lighter variety). Could see film flying around on the road - so apart from fining, I guess they are also stripping it off.
At Gemini, saw a Benz SUV stopped and being fined. At other places, saw even cabbies being stopped. Overall, looks like Chennai cops have swung into action.
Thanks for the heads up.

By Medavakkam flyover, do you mean the bridge at Pallikaranai near the Kamakshi Hospital & Cognizant. I am yet to remove the sun films and was of the opinion that Chennai cops would not implement it strictly.

With Chennai experiencing summer at its peak, driving a car without sun film is going to be difficult.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks