Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:12   #1936
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Sun News showed police stopping the car with tints in Chennai and removing the sunfilms partially and then charging 100 rupees fine. So, I think its better to remove the tints than allowing the police to remove them. They won't be responsible for any damages, if caused. As per their calculation there are around 10 lakhs cars in chennai with sunfilms. Not sure how far this number is correct.
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:43   #1937
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
You will receive that call (as well as a couple of other apologetic calls from the dealer).

But if my experience - admittedly of an incident which is much less damaging (if at all) than yours - is anything to go by, those calls are all you're going to get. Nothing more.

Regards,
spadix
Hi Spadix, Do you mean nothing is going to be actually materialised?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post

thats such a canned response,that had it been a written letter,you could have seen the pencilled "xxxxxxx" erased where the date,dealer and your name go.

take comprehensively detailed notes and pictures,post everything here.
beading and all wont be cheap, once word of company endorsed damage gets around,theyll come to you.
Yes, It is indeed one of those canned mails and I am not going to get fooled by that. Well I await the dealership to call in, hopefully by today. Here will be my demands:
1. Replacement of all damaged beadings
2. Replacement for all round glasses. I'll push for it, but feels like they might just polish and give it.
3. I need my "Immobilizer Anti-Theft" sticker back at any cost on both driver and co passenger side glass

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd May 2012 at 14:51. Reason: merging posts. Please use edit option or multiquote option if posting within 30mins.
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:50   #1938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sary
Hi Spadix, Do you mean nothing is going to be actually materialised?
Yes, sary. That's what I would think going by my experience.

However, it's a different time and problem of an altogether different dimension that you have approached them with. I hope there's a positive outcome in your case. No harm in pushing them as hard as you can, so please redouble your efforts. Have you gotten in touch with the GM, Service of this workshop?

Sorry for going OT.

Regards,
spadix
Old 22nd May 2012, 09:55   #1939
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Have you gotten in touch with the GM, Service of this workshop?

Sorry for going OT.
Well, not yet as I had to rush back on saturday and it was already too late. I shall talk to the GM today and keep you informed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofkings View Post
All I can say is Oh My GOD! Really shoddy work. I hope you gave them a piece of your mind. Have you spoken to them about any recompense for faulty worksmanship?
Yes kingofkings, they have been given their dose for the shabby work. However, I am yet to talk to the service GM, will do that sometime today. Will post by evening on any developments.

Regards,
Sary

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni View Post
Really sad.. You could try 3M or some other place providing similar level of service. I got the sunfilms peeled off from my one month old Rapid without any damage to the car itself at 3M, HSR layout. I would highly recommend this place for those who don't want to take risk. By the way, the response from Honda looks like automated. Hope you get response from a human sometime soon and get a speedy resolution.
Well rajni, I was very sure to go 3M way at HSR, however its my bad that I got to know 3M is no more doing this job. Hence I choose to play safe with the dealership.

Regards,
Sary

Last edited by Vid6639 : 22nd May 2012 at 14:52. Reason: merging posts. Please use edit option or multiquote option if posting within 30mins.
Old 22nd May 2012, 13:54   #1940
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Read today in the local newspaper that a couple of guys working in the automobile field are providing a door service to take the sun-film off the cars for Rs.400 per car and Rs.600 for MUV/SUVs. So far they have provided their service to more than 120 customers they claim. Thats more than 50k they have made.

Last edited by DudeWithaFiat : 22nd May 2012 at 13:55.
Old 22nd May 2012, 14:06   #1941
BHPian

Bangalore Police, more specifically Electronic city traffic unit has started the operation of issueing challans from today, but only to non-KA reg vehicles, and doing it in non-rush hours, operation locations are in between E-city phase-I till Chandapura circle, during 12 noon till 4/4:30pm, actually started yesterday, I did not care to ask the inspector in charge, today again I saw 3/4 cars with TN & GA registration standing after Veersandra signal, I got down and ask the same guy(he is a know face to me, I am crossing him every day for last 4 yrs), he said, BTP has given timelines for Karnataka residents, SC order is in place from 4th May, so they will fine out of state vehicles in sudden operations, so HR-26/DL 3C & TN-70 guys in Blr be alert.
Old 22nd May 2012, 14:22   #1942
MAS
Senior - BHPian

The Chennai Traffic Police has swung into action and have booked 3300 cases yesterday.

Some links to the action taken in Chennai is given below
On Day 1, police penalise 3,300 for tinted cars - South India - Chennai - ibnlive
Cops draw flak from FB users over SC order | Deccan Chronicle

Some pictures from the internet where sun-control films are being removed by the cops is attached.

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-sun-film-removal.jpg

A Police jeep with sun-control films being removed in Coimbatore.

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-sun-film-removal-police-jeep.jpg

I am yet to personally see the cops stopping cars & collecting fines.
Old 22nd May 2012, 14:31   #1943
BHPian

I saw the chennai cops in action today near Gemini flyover on the left when you come from cathedral road. They are in full swing. I heard they do this in 3 steps

1. On your RC book copy they mark a comment saying informed the owner about the law

2. Second time caught attracts 100 rs fine

3. Third time they endorse it on the license

Time to get the sun films removed
Old 22nd May 2012, 14:56   #1944
BHPian

Good I din't get sun film installed on my Logan, was about to when this issue came up.
Old 22nd May 2012, 15:04   #1945
BHPian

I was supposed to DIY last sunday however was not able to. Since then till today I have seen people either doing it themselves or going to the designated places and getting it removed. People are taking it seriously and I guess there is no point waiting. Incidently I posted a note on BTP facebook asking them if the "no film" ruling will be revoked; no response yet!

I will remove it this weekend for sure
Old 22nd May 2012, 17:21   #1946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
But even if this is a SC order, can't some kind of a review petition be filed? Has any been filed already?

And in case it hasn't, then what exactly are most of us waiting for since we not removing the films?
The fact of the matter is SC is not enforcing anything. What it has given is an interpretation of Rule 100 of the MV Act.

That is why it disallowed the first petition seeking 100% VLT saying that it is not as per The Act. on the Second petition on "Black Films" SC reads into Rule 100 and comes to the conclusion that the 70%/50% VLT condition shall be adhered to by the manufacturer and this VLT cannot be changed later by any means.

Entire SC ruling is available on this link (interesting read)

No SunFilms on Cars in India - Judgement by Supreme Court of India

So only way this can be reviewed is:
1) if it goes to a higher bench of SC.

2) MV act is amended in the Parliament

PS: I am not a lawyer
Old 22nd May 2012, 18:04   #1947
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo10 View Post
So only way this can be reviewed is:
1) if it goes to a higher bench of SC.

2) MV act is amended in the Parliament

There are no grounds for challenging the Hon'ble Supreme Court ruling, as the Hon'ble Supreme Court has only interpreted and explained CMV Rule 100 (2). I am working on a petition to amend CMV Rule 100(2). The proposed amendment would be to make it mandatory for all car manufactures to:

1. Print the minimum VLT % on all glasses clearly
2. Provide tinted / UV treated glasses complying with the prescribed VLT % as standard fitting
3. Print UV transmission % on all glasses clearly
4. In the interim, allow use of Sun Control Film on Car Glasses
5. Introduce a minimum VLT % compliance certificate, similar to PUC

Rajan

PS: I am not a lawyer either

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 22nd May 2012 at 18:06.
PatchyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 18:31   #1948
BHPian

This is another sham enforcement that will soon be forgotten. Examples -

1) Helmet rule - this has been on and off so many times, I don't even remember what the current enforcement requirement is in Bangalore. I wear one as I need to protect my head!

I remember reading that even pillion riders needed to wear one!

2) Seatbelt rule - Cops were seen fining every one in the initial days. Now? no one cares!

3) Number plate fonts issue - Been there, done that, forgotten about it, lets move on!

4) riding triples / quadruples / <add your number here> on 2 wheelers

5) Now, sun film - old rule, new restrictions, enforcements hot initially, slowly dies down to a crawl, and offenders booked only when cop's "target cases booked per month" count is running a little low.

It's funny I see people paying 400-500 bucks for removing sun film. If a cop stops you, pay 100 rs fine and get the sun film removed for free! Of course, you will end up scraping the gum off yourself - a good exercise for our lethargic lifestyles I must add.

The point is - every rule can be bent to its degree of flexibility. Even this sun film sham will end up having the same fate as the others. Disagree? Let me explain - person driving a bike / scooter can reach speeds up to 60kmph easily on city streets; they dont require seat-belts. Cars are crawling at 20kmph in gridlocked traffic and they are required to use seatbelts.

I am pretty sure the people higher up are thinking of a new rule already - child seats for kids in cars. Laughable! when 2 wheelers are carrying kids in extremely dangerous driving conditions (between 2 riders, on petrol tanks holding onto - wait, you guessed it, nothing) I am pretty sure the Govt. can and will come up with something stupid like this.

I am not saying I am against safety. All I am saying is, make rules that are meant for everyone and are water-tight. Only then, think of enforcing them. No point in locking up a jewellery store when one of the employees is a thief, get it?

Last edited by Technocrat : 22nd May 2012 at 21:27. Reason: We do not allow dotty posts, Removed extra dots, thanks
vsathyap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 18:38   #1949
BHPian

The major difference is this:

You buy a helmet once. You wear it on your head, if you need to protect yourself. You wear it on your elbow, if you want to avoid the cops. If the rule is relaxed and not enforced, then you do not throw your helmet away. You do not cut off your seatbelts either.

Sun Control film, unfortunately is not reusable and not many would be keen on spending upwards of 5K every time there is a change or enfocement drive.

Sad.

Rajan
Old 22nd May 2012, 18:53   #1950
Distinguished - BHPian

Its been quite a while since the judgement now. I have still got my car grounded ( the one with the Vkool films, 50% and 70% VLT). Infact I am rather amazed as I had initially expected all this to fizzle out sooner than later and yet till now there has been no mention of the judgement in the media or otherwise. I hope this doesn't continue for long now.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed