Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2012, 19:00   #1951
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

In the counter petition mentioning privacy, risk of skin cancer, etc, what needs to also be mentioned is the huge, in fact massive amount of pollution caused by these non-bio-degradable, disposed-off sunfilm pieces being dumped into drains, lakes, on the roads, and sometimes being burnt in residential localities, sometimes the risk of being eaten by cows or other stray animals which eat from garbage dumps, or the toxins could mix with the water underground (wells), or get into rivers/lakes. I could go on and on. The list of perils/damage to the environment is endless. I have personally seen sunfilm bits clogging storm water drains during heavy rains in Bangalore last week and causing flooding. I also saw some cabbies on another day, burning the sunfilms in a heap. This was causing an extremely toxic, foul smell in the whole surrounding area. Most of these films consist of toxic heavy metals and their oxides, which can be quite fatal in many ways.

Did Mr. Avishek Goenka and the judiciary (with all due respect) think about the environmental impact, before passing this blanket ban on sunfilms, on the crores of cars running on Indian roads? I hope they did. Hundreds of tonnes of these sunfilms will be disposed off during these 1-2 months. Good luck to ourselves and "our" environment, for the coming days!

Last edited by KarthikK : 22nd May 2012 at 19:10.
KarthikK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 19:04   #1952
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post

1. Print the minimum VLT % on all glasses clearly
2. Provide tinted / UV treated glasses complying with the prescribed VLT % as standard fitting
3. Print UV transmission % on all glasses clearly
4. In the interim, allow use of Sun Control Film on Car Glasses
5. Introduce a minimum VLT % compliance certificate, similar to PUC

Rajan

PS: I am not a lawyer either
I have seen VLT% on some cars; corolla has it if i remember correctly. Agreed it should be on all cars, afterall every other marking is there on the glass.

I dont think Govt. will deregulate VLT % compliance to car owners. its much easier to regulate this at the manufacturer level.
Old 22nd May 2012, 20:27   #1953
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

Did Mr. Avishek Goenka and the judiciary (with all due respect) think about the environmental impact, before passing this blanket ban on sunfilms, on the crores of cars running on Indian roads? I hope they did. Hundreds of tonnes of these sunfilms will be disposed off during these 1-2 months. Good luck to ourselves and "our" environment, for the coming days!
Shouldn't this go in favour of banning the films all together. You end up the mess once and ban the product. Continued circulation of the same would just cause more and more damage to the environment ( going by your facts) during the manufacturing and finally disposing the films. The point regarding Skin cancers is a very valid one and can have serious effects on millions of Indians.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 20:33   #1954
BHPian

Quote:
In the counter petition mentioning privacy, risk of skin cancer, etc, what needs to also be mentioned is the huge, in fact massive amount of pollution caused by these non-bio-degradable, disposed-off sunfilm pieces.

Did Mr. Avishek Goenka and the judiciary (with all due respect) think about the environmental impact, before passing this blanket ban on sunfilms, on the crores of cars running on Indian roads?
The very fact that Mr. Avishek Goenka filed for a technically impossible 100% VLT glass, speaks a lot about what kind of thought process he put into filing this petition. Unfortunately, the timing is such, that by the time a counter petition is filed, the damage to the environment, not to mention irreversible, will already be done . I am aghast at mother earth being gang-raped like this, because a few jerks decided to rape a few women in cars with Sun Control films.

My reasoning for amendment to CMV rule 100(2) to mandate the manufacturers to provide tinted UV protected glasses that comply with the 70% 50% regulation, is to preempt a repeat performance. Afterall 50% is not all that dark. See picture on page 122 of this thread.

If such an amendment is passed, then UV radiation will be controlled, privacy will be restored (to some extent) and the best bit is, Avishek Goenka will not file for the glass to be broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Shouldn't this go in favour of banning the films all together. You end up the mess once and ban the product. Continued circulation of the same would just cause more and more damage to the environment ( going by your facts) during the manufacturing and finally disposing the films.
Very valid argument. I am sure if the decision makers are responsible people, they will think in the same lines.

Quote:
The point regarding Skin cancers is a very valid one and can have serious effects on millions of Indians.
Finally. Glad that someone agrees with what I have been shouting from the rooftops about. I even started a blogpost describing the hazard with a lot of scientific data. A fellow BHPian has posted a link in page 125 of this thread.

Just for statistics, I read the whole blogpost with a stopwatch in hand and it took 6 minutes and 5 seconds. The survey took another 5 seconds.

My signature conveys my findings, thus far :(

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 22nd May 2012 at 20:44.
PatchyBoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 21:18   #1955
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Shouldn't this go in favour of banning the films all together. You end up the mess once and ban the product. Continued circulation of the same would just cause more and more damage to the environment ( going by your facts) during the manufacturing and finally disposing the films
Continued sale/circulation of the same would not cause any problem, because the films would then be stuck on all the cars' windows/windshields (where they are meant to be), not lying in bits and pieces in water bodies or being burnt in garbage dumps, etc

Moreover, the films which have been accumulated along with cars over the past 2-3 decades (which was a very, very gradual process) will now be disposed off in 1 shot into the nature, in just these 3-4 weeks alone. That sudden, large-scale disposal was what I was highlighting in my post.

Last edited by KarthikK : 22nd May 2012 at 21:39.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 21:31   #1956
Senior - BHPian

An Excellent workaround by fellow member dhondusaxena.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...ml#post2785157

PLease check out the sun-protection rollers mentioned. Its an excellent alternative to sun-films. (Not sure about Legal/police/court aspect)

(LINK)

Crossposting for convenience of other members. Original credit goes to dhondusaxena
Old 22nd May 2012, 21:37   #1957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
An Excellent workaround by fellow member dhondusaxena.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/produc...ml#post2785157

PLease check out the sun-protection rollers mentioned. Its an excellent alternative to sun-films. (Not sure about Legal/police/court aspect)

(LINK)

Crossposting for convenience of other members. Original credit goes to dhondusaxena
Actually Nothing at all is allowed, water curtains, curtains or just any thing that hampers the Visibility.

Note from Support
Please use spell check before posting.

Thanks,
Support Team

Last edited by desideep : 22nd May 2012 at 21:55. Reason: check post.
Old 22nd May 2012, 21:55   #1958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
Its an excellent alternative to sun-films. (Not sure about Legal/police/court aspect)
Quote:
Extract from SC Ruling:

23. In light of the above discussion, we have no hesitation in holding that use of black films or any other material upon safety glass, windscreen and side windows is impermissible. In terms of Rule 100(2), 70 per cent and 50 per cent VLT standard are relatable to the manufacture of the safety glasses for the windshields (front and rear) and the side windows respectively. Use of films or any other material upon the windscreen or the side windows is impermissible in law. It is the VLT of the safety glass without any additional material being pasted upon the safety glasses which must conform with manufacture specifications.
On one hand, "black films or any other material upon safety glass" unequivocally prohibits anything - Sun Control Film, Roll up curtains, regular curtains, newspaper, etc., etc.

However, the usage of the word "pasted" adds to the confusion

My interpretation - In the words of the SC ruling, anything that is not pasted to the glass is permissible, as it will not alter the VLT of the glass. However, explaining to and convincing the cops is going to be very difficult, considering that these curtains, unlike Sun Control Film, is reusable and can be taken away and fitted in another car

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 22nd May 2012 at 22:01.
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:00   #1959
BANNED

Quote:
Here's another well overlooked aspect of the judgement:

It is said that window tinting helps reduce fuel consumption due to better A/C performance by as much as 2%. Lets assume 1%.
Lets also take a conservative estimate and say that 10% of total vehicles in India are using window tinting and A/C.
If every vehicle uses 1L of fuel per day, now that has gone up by 10ml. 100 vehicles makes 1L. How many litres will 10% of total vehicles make? How about if each vehicle uses more than 1L per day?
Any guesses how much fuel per day that translates to? Really smart move when oil prices are the way they are. Remember 10% is a very conservative figure.

I know crime pays. But do we have to pay for crime prevention as well?

Cheers.
gthang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:03   #1960
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
On one hand, "black films or any other material upon safety glass" unequivocally prohibits anything - Sun Control Film, Roll up curtains, regular curtains, newspaper, etc., etc.

However, the usage of the word "pasted" adds to the confusion

Rajan
I Agree - Even if VLT is done using the LUX Meter, the device would be held such that the device is inbetween the glass. The device will not fit beyond the curtain.

Secondly - If a Fat guy, wearing a black T-shirt is sitting in a bucket seat (turned 90 degrees to the right from the conventional seating postion), as if talking to the person sitting to the far right or the rear passenger, the interior view will be blocked for sure. So would court / police be still eligible to fine stating that interior view is blocked?

Even if i stopped by police, what would the challan mention?
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:06   #1961
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothewild
Chennai update: For the first time last evening, saw sun-film checking while coming from Mount Poonamalle road towards Kaththipara junction. The exact location is at the new signal that has been added on the Binny road half a KM before the Kaththipara ramp.

Couple of policemen were stopping cars. There was a minor argument with one gentleman who was pointing at his rear windshield.

Vijay
Woah ! I Still haven't removed mine yet .. It's about time I do it I guess ..

Guess The cops would do a very messy job removing the films .

Is it still legal to have CMVR Approved Films ?

By The Way Have You removed Vijay ?
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:13   #1962
BHPian

^^ That is the problem with court rulings. SC ruling explicitly prohibits altering the VLT of the OEM glass, but is silent on other means of blocking visiblity. One might as well roll down the glass and block the whole window with a piece of plywood and still be a law abiding citizen. He did not alter the VLT of the OEM glass, right?

Rajan
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:18   #1963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy
^^ That is the problem with court rulings. SC ruling explicitly prohibits altering the VLT of the OEM glass, but is silent on other means of blocking visiblity. One might as well roll down the glass and block the whole window with a piece of plywood and still be a law abiding citizen. He did not alter the VLT of the OEM glass, right?

Rajan
Yep ! Wonder why they couldn't think of that . *Stuff that only happens in India*
Old 22nd May 2012, 22:22   #1964
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 26th May 2012 at 12:34.
unknown is offline   Received Infraction
Old 22nd May 2012, 23:22   #1965
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothewild View Post
Couple of policemen were stopping cars. There was a minor argument with one gentleman who was pointing at his rear windshield.
When I enter Bangalore/Chennai, does it help if I roll down all of the windows when I drive and my front windshield has no sun film at all? My rear windshield still does have a sunfilm on it and so do the rear quarter panels.

In Hyderabad, there haven't been any issues with the sun film so far.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed