Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:45   #1981
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Chevy vehicles come with Saint Gobain glasses and the VLT is printed on it. I checked both Cruze and Beat's glasses. All the sides have it printed on them!!
rangakishen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:46   #1982
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Question. if peoples cars already came with factory tinted glasses (75% in the front and 70% at the sides) adhering to the permissible limit.why did they jump onto the sunfilm bandwagon?
While test drive, I tested under sun. The factory glass let too much glare inside for comfort (with AC on). So while buying, I opted for 'RTO Approved' 50% VLT on sides. Even with these sunfilm, my folks complained of glare. Last year, I got these removed and went for 35% VLT films. My folks didn't complain after this.

I went for sun-films for heat & glare reduction. Privacy, UV protection, FE are not priorities for me.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 14:49   #1983
BHPian

Checked my Nano and the VLT info was printed on all the glasses.

When i checked on the website, only LX variant is provided with tinted glasses. Other variants have plain ones.
Old 23rd May 2012, 15:13   #1984
BHPian

Correct me if i'm wrong. but if the earlier rules set the VLT at 75% and 70% respectively and cars already came with tinted glasses to that specification, wasn't everyone who was applying sunfilms breaking the law already?why are people acting shocked over the new ruling when they were fine with the older one?The supreme court just enforced the rule which was already there
Old 23rd May 2012, 15:29   #1985
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Don't make comments without proper checking, Punto glasses have VLT print as 75%, I am sure others too have them.
I apologize. I went back and rechecked, and Punto indeed has 75% printed on the side glasses. You are right. I was wrong.

I double checked the other cars I had mentioned and can confidently assure you, they do not have that information printed on them.

Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 23rd May 2012 at 15:31.
Old 23rd May 2012, 15:32   #1986
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Correct me if i'm wrong. but if the earlier rules set the VLT at 75% and 70% respectively and cars already came with tinted glasses to that specification, wasn't everyone who was applying sunfilms breaking the law already?why are people acting shocked over the new ruling when they were fine with the older one?The supreme court just enforced the rule which was already there
If you visibility factor (VLT) after installing sunfilm / whatever is 70% for front and 50% for rear, it was accepted by law. Now, with the judgement, Any sunfilm (Even 3M CR70) is not allowed.

I have 3M CR 70 on my car and from outside you can read the message on my T-Shirt, let alone look at my face. . Now per the judgement, ANY film is banned, even if it does not block VLT.
Old 23rd May 2012, 15:37   #1987
Senior - BHPian

Most manufacturers use a mix of OEM glasses according to availability.

For example, I have seen Chevy, FIAT, TATA, Hyundai etc use both AIS(Asahi) and Saint Gobain (Sekurit) for the same makes of vehicles.
Old 23rd May 2012, 16:43   #1988
BHPian

Regarding the VLT printed on the glass : does it not mean the minimum VLT of 75/70%? The maximum VLT of those glasses would be much higher. I don't think the factory fitted glasses have 75% fixed VLT, the actual VLT would be much higher, may be ~90%.
Old 23rd May 2012, 17:53   #1989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
Thirdly, I don't think the UV argument will fly, as Skin Cancer is not very prevalent in our part of the world.
A health program on TV said if you need UV rays (for Vitamin D) get it direct (not thru a glass). With all windows up, UV's are anyways blocked it seems.

I saw cab driver removing it in chennai.Is there any update on Stay order or review petition before I DIY this weekend ?

Last edited by manavdotcom : 23rd May 2012 at 17:59.
Old 23rd May 2012, 17:56   #1990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
Let me get this straight - Supreme Court has NOT banned sun films as the title of this thread suggests. They have said, it was never allowed in the first place. You cannot ban something which was against the law to begin with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
If you visibility factor (VLT) after installing sunfilm / whatever is 70% for front and 50% for rear, it was accepted by law. Now, with the judgement, Any sunfilm (Even 3M CR70) is not allowed.

I have 3M CR 70 on my car and from outside you can read the message on my T-Shirt, let alone look at my face. . Now per the judgement, ANY film is banned, even if it does not block VLT.
@Fornax, as far as I know 70%/ 50% visibility was the rule. Sunfilms were not illegal, only those which did not conform to this criteria were illegal.

Now with this ruling, all sunfilms are illegal as pointed out by @scopriobharath.

So the hon'ble SC has not restated the law in the same words, but modified the law. Please let me know if the law initially had already banned all sunfilms before this ruling.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 18:02   #1991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
A health program on TV said if you need UV rays (for Vitamin D) get it direct (not thru a glass). With all windows up, UV's are anyways blocked it seems.
Please try google before you post.

Thanks,
Rajan
Old 23rd May 2012, 18:03   #1992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
Is there any update on Stay order or review petition before I DIY this weekend ?
Do not expect any stay order coming from Apex court as there is no SLP on this case, SC is on leave from 14th May till 1st July, so any news will only come in July, for ref SC Holiday list attached.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf calendar2012.pdf (91.9 KB, 402 views)
Old 23rd May 2012, 18:25   #1993
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
So the hon'ble SC has not restated the law in the same words, but modified the law. Please let me know if the law initially had already banned all sunfilms before this ruling.
The initial rule was to have 50/70 visibility. Whether this was achieved using sun-film or concrete wall was immeterial. in the end, 50/70 VLT was required. Sun-film or tinting could be used for the same.

Now - Even a 100% VLT Film or some transparent films are not legal. Fellow members say that even roll-on curtains or standard curtains are illegal. The ONLY legal thing is factory tinted glass (no films, tinting allowed using chemicals only) in new vehicles which complies to 50/70.
scopriobharath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 19:09   #1994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Please try google before you post.

Thanks,
Rajan
This link says UVB is blocked which helps Vitamin D.
Old 23rd May 2012, 20:22   #1995
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath

I Agree - Even if VLT is done using the LUX Meter, the device would be held such that the device is inbetween the glass. The device will not fit beyond the curtain.

Secondly - If a Fat guy, wearing a black T-shirt is sitting in a bucket seat (turned 90 degrees to the right from the conventional seating postion), as if talking to the person sitting to the far right or the rear passenger, the interior view will be blocked for sure. So would court / police be still eligible to fine stating that interior view is blocked?

Even if i stopped by police, what would the challan mention?
Interpretation of the law is with connection to the spirit of law. Don't do word by word interpretation. The intention of the law by an enactment is the first and foremost thing .
Closed Thread

Most Viewed