Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2012, 20:42   #1996
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Boss,

You posted this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
With all windows up, UV's are anyways blocked it seems.
I responded with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Please try google before you post.
For which you have said this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by manavdotcom View Post
This link says UVB is blocked which helps Vitamin D.

Quote from same website:

UVA causes skin ageing and research has now shown that it is also likely to cause skin cancer. UVB causes redness and sunburn and is a major risk factor for all types of skin cancer.

Most glass used for windows blocks UVB but not UVA. This means that although glass might reduce the risk of sunburn, it does not prevent long term damage from UVA. So, if you are driving long distances or sitting in your conservatory every day for long periods of time, you need to make sure you are using sun protection on sunny days.

You can interpret it the way you want to.

Thanks,
Rajan
Old 23rd May 2012, 23:13   #1997
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

How aggressive are cops in Kerala? I am thinking of a Munnar trip at the end of this month till first week of June. Will be back on 02nd June.

Decision time if i should remove the film before the trip or come back and then think about it around June 05th (The last date as mentioned by BTP).
Old 24th May 2012, 03:54   #1998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
How aggressive are cops in Kerala? I am thinking of a Munnar trip at the end of this month till first week of June. Will be back on 02nd June.

Decision time if i should remove the film before the trip or come back and then think about it around June 05th (The last date as mentioned by BTP).
Cops have already started catching guys with dark tints here. But from what I've heard, they are not stopping the ones with decent visibility. ie. if you can see the inside it shouldn't be a problem. I'm not sure about this but I think it should be fine if you don't have dark tints. And it depends a lot on the kinda route you select.
Old 24th May 2012, 08:27   #1999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post

There is news in today's popular Malayalam daily that Kerala Police is going to start the rigorous crackdown on sunfilms. They are also setting up sunfilm removable counters as well to help people remove the sunfilms at reasonable cost.
Old 24th May 2012, 13:18   #2000
BHPian

Did this happened around 6-7pm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebs View Post
Atlast, yesterday evening i'm returning from the office, I was stopped by the cops at pallikaranai road-thoraipakkam toll gate. As someone said here, chennai traffic cops are very friendly and they simply collected Rs.100 (no chalan) throw some advises followed by good handshake as well. They asked me whether they want to remove the films or you can do yourselves. I told him "Sir, I just enquired one shop, they charging Rs.500 for this" and I left from there.

Funny thing is that, this was happened just after I enquired the car accessories shop near thilaiganga nagar and they asked me to come today morning 11 A.M (Rs.500 for the same).
Old 24th May 2012, 13:29   #2001
BHPian

I did a survey yesterday in the parking lot with over 100+ cars in Bangalore.. 80% still have sun films on; 15% seems to have got it removed recently & 5% never had it! Now that BTP has given June 5th as next deadline, wonder how the situation will change over the coming days!
Old 24th May 2012, 13:37   #2002
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klassics45 View Post
Did this happened around 6-7pm?
Yes, This was happened exactly 6:50 P.M. Actually, I used to maintain right lane to escape from them. But this time, they caught me when i just came out from the tollbooth. I had no other way to stop.

Today, I gave my car to BOSCH service centre, Vadapalani to peel off sunfilms to avoid further fines. Because, to my enroute (with less traffic) cops always waiting for.
Old 24th May 2012, 13:45   #2003
BHPian

There is no action being taken even till now in Mumbai, and I guess in Pune as well. I'm not sure if the cops here are even aware of the new rule.

What is the situation in Bangalore and Mysore? I read somewhere on this thread that the Bangalore Traffic Police have extended deadlines till 6th June, but have heard that Bangalore Cops have started Catching and fining offenders already. Any update on this? I only ask as I will be travelling to Bangalore on this weekend.
Old 24th May 2012, 13:51   #2004
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
What is the situation in Bangalore and Mysore? I read somewhere on this thread that the Bangalore Traffic Police have extended deadlines till 6th June, but have heard that Bangalore Cops have started Catching and fining offenders already. Any update on this? I only ask as I will be travelling to Bangalore on this weekend.
From what I know, only Bangalore-registered vehicles are given time till June 6th to remove the sunfilms. Outside state registered vehicles will be penalized if they are found guilty of the offense. In that sense it is better for you to remove the tints before coming here, if you are planning to do that anyway. Or else, take a chance and come over. With the choc-a-bloc traffic situation here, chances are the police may not notice a MH registered car with tints on.
Old 24th May 2012, 13:57   #2005
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperBee View Post
I read somewhere on this thread that the Bangalore Traffic Police have extended deadlines till 6th June .
BTP extension on deadline is 5th June.
Old 24th May 2012, 14:06   #2006

Could someone tell me if the same rule is applicable in Hyderabad also??

I got my i10's windows tinted recently and planning to get my new Innova's windows tinted as well.
Old 24th May 2012, 14:12   #2007
Team-BHP Support

Totally OT, sorry mods, but I hope Mr. Avishek goenka now goes to court again against the petrol hike, something which is actually saving the aam aadmi as he likes to say his sun film petition does.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 14:32   #2008
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
From what I know, only Bangalore-registered vehicles are given time till June 6th to remove the sunfilms. Outside state registered vehicles will be penalized if they are found guilty of the offense.
You mean to say KA registered cars can run without any trouble (from cops) until the 6th, but if it’s an outside registered car, they will go with the fine / film removal drive? Does not sound like a logical move.

Slightly OT, people normally forget the grief once they get something nice to cheer-up. In this case, it’s the other way around. A bigger pain came up (in the form of Petrol price hike), and suddenly the sun-film agony started to look trivial. This thread has a sudden drop in action after the price hike announcement
Old 24th May 2012, 14:42   #2009
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
You mean to say KA registered cars can run without any trouble (from cops) until the 6th, but if it’s an outside registered car, they will go with the fine / film removal drive? Does not sound like a logical move.
Yeah I agree, this sounds stupid and unfair . Here is a post by asdon mentioning the same a few pages ago on this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2784687

It is as though they want to do a test run on non-KA vehicles first, sharpen their knives and blades, practice on non-KA cars' windows and then start the actual peeling on KA vehicles from June 6th. Not sure who came up with this plan
KarthikK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2012, 14:52   #2010
Senior - BHPian

Can the BTP give instructions to drivers in TN or AP? I think what they are doing is logical and technically correct
Closed Thread

Most Viewed