Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2012, 11:48   #2041
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
BTW, can someone refer me to a good DIY guide for removing the sun-films. I did get one to remove the back glass using news papers. Is that the only one ?
Can someone IM me the link if there is a good link available.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...at-not-do.html
Old 25th May 2012, 12:30   #2042
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Today, I was caught by the Chennai Cops :(.

I was nearing the Camp Road Juntion at Selaiyur. The traffic cop who was regulating the movement there asked me to proceed. I did the same but caught by another Cop. I told him that I was asked to move by the other cop. He politely told me that I was now caught for the usage of dark tint in my car. They asked my vehicle registration number and entered the same in their device. It gave them all information including the name and address. They collected Rs. 100 as penalty and asked me to remove the dark tint. The cop told me that, there should be 100% visibility on front and back and 50% visibility on sides. They did not tell that I should not use sunfilm at all. They gave me the challan which read "Alteration of transparency of vehicle glass by sun control flim".

If I am caught again, I may need to pay Rs. 300.
I could see cops near the Secretariat booking a number of cars yesterday. I was near the Camp Road Junction yesterday, but there were many many many cars with sun control films still stuck on the glasses and cops were not even bothered to stop them.

The rule is confusing. Does this mean that Chennai cops allow 50% VLT on the side glasses? Can other Chennai TBhpians chip in please!!!

Ramesh - Do you drive a Punto, as i see a Tucsan Wine Punto almost everytime i go on the Tambaram-Velachery Main Road with LTD sticker on the rear bumper?
Old 25th May 2012, 12:37   #2043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS
In Chennai, one can see atleast 95% of the cars with sun flims intact. The SC order seems to have reached only a portion of the car owners and most of them seem to have not bothered to follow it.
Yesterday evening, hearing some strange noise coming from the parking area below, I look down from my 1st floor balcony to see the guy downstairs ripping off the sun-film from his Santro - he had a kinda dark variety on his car and was removing it to avoid cop-action.

He is not a car-nut and I doubt he visits forums, so maybe either he heard from friends/colleagues about this or from the newspaper or saw cops challaning people with film on their cars.
Old 25th May 2012, 12:43   #2044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
As per regulations, only a traffic cop can stop for traffic offense. Motor Vehicles related violations are traffic related and hence a regular non-traffic cops has no jurisdiction unless a criminal activity of some nature is involved. Having films is not a "criminal activity" but a mere violation of law.

Further only a cop of the rank of 2 Star (Sub Inspector) or above is authorized to issue a challan and no less. A mere traffic cop can note down the number (or take pictures as in Bangalore) and file in the station for further action but not authorized to issue a challan or collect a fine.

You can argue with them stating these provisions if you want and you will be right. If they wish to harass, they still will in some other form.
That's true for all traffic violations, but this time they are implementing Supreme Court order for banning sunfilms and I guess all cops are authorized to do that. I even came to know from someone regarding PCR vans stopping tinted cars in Chandigarh.
Old 25th May 2012, 14:40   #2045
BHPian

I notice 4 Police Sumo Jeeps and 1 Ambassador of a senior Police officer have had the sun film removed. For a change they are leading by example. If they had done this on other fronts, it would be a welcome change to policing. Also one of the jeeps belonging to the MMTC checking squad had its film ripped apart un-professionally.

OT: That said I have found the Traffic officers to be very polite, esp those on the arterial roads, ECR and OMR.
Old 25th May 2012, 15:33   #2046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdon View Post
Do not expect any stay order coming from Apex court as there is no SLP on this case, SC is on leave from 14th May till 1st July, so any news will only come in July, for ref SC Holiday list attached.
Even after SC is back in session from July, prior to filing a PIL, one must have sent a legal notice to the concerned department 2 months in advance.

So if at all there is a PIL, we are looking at August-September.
Old 25th May 2012, 19:20   #2047
BHPian

Today evening traffic cops were stopping cars with tinted films near town hall in Mangalore and ripping off sunfilms. I was also waved to stop but there were so many cars with tinted films i got away in the confusion. I have been delaying the inevitable for so many days but now it looks like its finally time to remove the sun films from my cars. Tomorrow they are coming off but i am planning on leaving the garware icecool shield on the front windshield.
Old 25th May 2012, 19:38   #2048
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I think PatchyBoy is right. Did not find the transmission printed on my Civic's glasses. I think most of the firms now use glasses from Asahi. Will check and let you know if there is any difference. Civic definitely is Asahi.
This is what I see (with a tissue - background )

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-window-markings.jpg

I don't think I can see VLT ratings anywhere here but the same markings are there around on all glasses of my Waggy (front, rear, sides and quarter glasses) without a character difference - can someone help?

Also, from outside the rear windshield and side windows looks slightly dark tinted! Probable effect of the sunfilm who left love marks before leaving a week ago?
Old 25th May 2012, 19:45   #2049
BHPian

Quote:
Today, I was caught by the Chennai Cops :(.

I was nearing the Camp Road Juntion at Selaiyur. The traffic cop who was regulating the movement there asked me to proceed. I did the same but caught by another Cop. I told him that I was asked to move by the other cop. He politely told me that I was now caught for the usage of dark tint in my car. They asked my vehicle registration number and entered the same in their device. It gave them all information including the name and address. They collected Rs. 100 as penalty and asked me to remove the dark tint. The cop told me that, there should be 100% visibility on front and back and 50% visibility on sides. They did not tell that I should not use sunfilm at all. They gave me the challan which read "Alteration of transparency of vehicle glass by sun control flim".

If I am caught again, I may need to pay Rs. 300.

Well, actually thats a good sign! They are not just saying remove any tint!
I really wish it stays that way. If this rule applies, I can continue using my current tints!
Old 25th May 2012, 20:24   #2050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waggy View Post

Attachment 931879

I don't think I can see VLT ratings anywhere here but the same markings are there around on all glasses of my Waggy (front, rear, sides and quarter glasses) without a character difference - can someone help?
I have posted details of what these markings mean here in this very thread. This is the problem with such long threads. Good useful info gets buried.

To make matters worse, people read just your last post, make assumptions about you, your POV, your knowledge, your ability to use google and everything else

Guess this is common to any discussion forum.

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 25th May 2012 at 20:31.
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2012, 21:25   #2051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waggy

Also, from outside the rear windshield and side windows looks slightly dark tinted! Probable effect of the sunfilm who left love marks before leaving a week ago?
If you refer to the corresponding ISI specifications, you will know all the details.
Old 25th May 2012, 21:53   #2052
BHPian

I was stopped by a cop today opposite Vijaya Main College. He just warned me to remove the sunfilm asap and let me go. His exact words were "Cannot even make out who is inside the car, get it removed as soon as possible" (he said it in Kannada). Need to get mine removed, but will wait till June 1st.
Old 25th May 2012, 21:53   #2053
BHPian

I removed the tints in both my cars using the DIY principle.
the only ingredients required are
1) Blade (the old style blades)
2) Soap water
3) Colin
4) cloth.
Put the soap water on the sun film and using the blade draw lines and then just pull them off. if the sun film was of not good quality(on my i10) the glue will be on the glass and use colin to get rid of them. on the 3M films(on the tjet), i did not have to use so much colin, the sun film came out quite nicely.
In some screwed up place in yelahanka they were asking 250 for the removal and i guess in 3M place about 500+.
Old 25th May 2012, 22:12   #2054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
I could see cops near the Secretariat booking a number of cars yesterday. I was near the Camp Road Junction yesterday, but there were many many many cars with sun control films still stuck on the glasses and cops were not even bothered to stop them.

The rule is confusing. Does this mean that Chennai cops allow 50% VLT on the side glasses? Can other Chennai TBhpians chip in please!!!

Ramesh - Do you drive a Punto, as i see a Tucsan Wine Punto almost everytime i go on the Tambaram-Velachery Main Road with LTD sticker on the rear bumper?
As long as I know, Chennai cops are not interested in completely getting rid of the films. They are only penalizing cars with dark tints currently.

I don't drive a Punto. I drive Bossa Nova White Linea .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waggy View Post

Fiat cars (Punto and Linea) are having a clear indication on the percentage of visibility on the glasses. Here's the one I see in my Linea.

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-20120525_204301.jpg

Last edited by rameshnanda : 25th May 2012 at 22:35.
Old 25th May 2012, 22:32   #2055
BHPian

Quote:
Fiat cars are having a clear indication on the percentage of visibility on the glasses. Here's the one I see in my Linea.

Attachment 931966
Not all FIAT cars have this. My Palio Stile 2007 does not, for sure.

Rajan
Closed Thread

Most Viewed