Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2012, 22:35   #2056
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Not all FIAT cars have this. My Palio Stile 2007 does not, for sure.

Rajan
Noted Sir. I stand corrected . Edited my original post too.
Old 25th May 2012, 22:46   #2057
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
To make matters worse, people read just your last post, make assumptions about you, your POV, your knowledge, your ability to use google and everything else

Guess this is common to any discussion forum.

Rajan
Initially you specified page 100 (edited later with the exact link to your post), I landed there and I couldn't find any. Ended up reading almost each post of yours and I can understand that you are bit aggrevated on SC and the law makers we elected. I agree to the quoted part of your statement though!! It happens and don't get too angry Rajan! If needed, take a break go for a road trip! Planning to go Gokarna for the first weekend of June for 4 days. Feel free to join in and I'd be glad to meet a TBhpian

My car's glasses neither have printed VLT, nor a DOT code. Not even the ISI page gives the correct info on that for the CML no 2081844 in BIS website has no description against it (http://nicdc.nic.in/CMMS/InternetRep...202%20:%201992) Or atleast the funky bar codes you mentioned? No! NO!! NOOO!!!

I haven't read the other three articles that you posted! A virus is playing in the infrastructure for one of the clients we support and I've been on two days call so far! I'll definitely go through them very soon before my Gokarna break though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
If you refer to the corresponding ISI specifications, you will know all the details.
Unlucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
Fiat cars are having a clear indication on the percentage of visibility on the glasses. Here's the one I see in my Linea.

Attachment 931966

Strange that both the glasses are manufactured by AIS but one carries the rating and the other doesn't! I recollect someone in this thread mentioning about AIS glasses in Civic (probably patchyboy?) too doesn't mention any rating
Old 25th May 2012, 23:22   #2058
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
Ended up reading almost each post of yours and I can understand that you are bit aggrevated on SC and the law makers we elected.

Planning to go Gokarna for the first weekend of June for 4 days. Feel free to join in and I'd be glad to meet a TBhpian
Thanks for reading my posts, I have nothing against the SC ruling. IMHO, the SC has only re-stated what was already the law. I am for sure aggrevated by

1. The NGO that filed this half-baked PIL ( What is 100% VLT?)
2. With the law-makers for failing to amend laws to adhere to the times we live in
3. The police for implementing this selectively, and
4. Last, but not the least, car owners for not disposing the discarded film responsibly

Please read my blog, when you find time. I just posted this on BTP's FB page:

"Since this removal of Sun Control Film is being implemented seriously all over the country and only official cars of Z/Z+ are exempt and the SC ruling clearly states that they prohibit the use of black films of any VLT percentage or any other material upon the safety glasses, windscreens (front and rear) and side glasses of all vehicles throughout the country (para 27) and since BTP is understaffed, I volunteer to be available in the weekends to help remove sun flims of all VLT from Police cars, Buses and VIP's personal vehicles. How many are game? Like this post if you are ready to ensure equal justice."

Thanks for the invite for a drive. Sadly, I cannot accept. I have too much on my hands at work and now have to find extra time to keep this crusade going. We can sure meet up in the city sometime.

Thanks for understanding.

Rajan
Old 25th May 2012, 23:41   #2059
BHPian

Quote:

Please read my blog, when you find time. I just posted this on BTP's FB page:
We can sure meet up in the city sometime.
Just liked and commented on your FB post on BTP site. A perfect slamming

The FB page http://www.facebook.com/movementagainstsc also has quoted your blog

Please read this... | Facebook

Cheers Rajan! I liked your sarcastic sense of humor!
Old 26th May 2012, 08:26   #2060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
I removed the tints in both my cars using the DIY principle.
the only ingredients required are
1) Blade (the old style blades)
2) Soap water
3) Colin
4) cloth.
Put the soap water on the sun film and using the blade draw lines and then just pull them off. if the sun film was of not good quality(on my i10) the glue will be on the glass and use colin to get rid of them. on the 3M films(on the tjet), i did not have to use so much colin, the sun film came out quite nicely.
In some screwed up place in yelahanka they were asking 250 for the removal and i guess in 3M place about 500+.
If I can take further guidance from you. The rep's at the Maruti service centre scratched my rear windshield whilst trying to remove the film from my SX4. I obviously did not let them go any further.

When you say draw lines, how would you say I should go about doing it without causing any damage ? The rest of the instructions are fairly simple, but the blade on a glass part is quite scary.

I spent a bit of time looks for a corner strip to pull, but the film is hugging the glass quite well and I'm kind of stuck with it.
Old 26th May 2012, 08:57   #2061
Senior - BHPian

I personally feel chennai police would start implementing this with vigor after this month. They are giving a breather to beat the current heat. As someone else pointed even if there is a PIL filed it will take over 3-4 months to see something happening. I am going to risk taking my car out without worrying about getting caught. if getting caught caugh up 100 and hope they dont get into removing sun film on their own.
Old 26th May 2012, 09:04   #2062
BHPian

There are a lot of videos in youtube where people use steam to heat the glass and peel off the film with ease.

I am planning to do this.
My setup: a portable gas stove, a pressure cooker with water, a cooking gas hose.
Plan is to boil water in cooker to get steam, attach hose to cooker and steam the film, and peel off.

Will let you know of the results
Old 26th May 2012, 09:11   #2063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waggy View Post
Initially you specified page 100 (edited later with the exact link to your post), I landed there and I couldn't find any. Ended up reading almost each post of yours
Waggy,

The members here are consolidating the data and provide us with the same. It is very comfortable to sit in a living room couch and comment. Learn to appreciate the efforts.

Quote:
and I can understand that you are bit aggrevated on SC and the law makers we elected. I agree to the quoted part of your statement though!! It happens and don't get too angry Rajan!
Nobody here is aggravated with the SC. This line of yours clearly shows your levels of comprehending a situation. The law was already made longtime back. It was just the honeymoon period we were living in.

Quote:

Strange that both the glasses are manufactured by AIS but one carries the rating and the other doesn't! I recollect someone in this thread mentioning about AIS glasses in Civic (probably patchyboy?) too doesn't mention any rating
Let us learn to appreciate the details. It is upto each individual to accept it or no.

If not help, we shouldn't learn not to damage or insult somebody.

I didnt even know so many things about glasses till Patchy boy did publish the same on this forum.

Appreciate efforts.

Last edited by GTO : 28th May 2012 at 13:22. Reason: Removing extra QUOTE tag
Old 26th May 2012, 09:33   #2064
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
If I can take further guidance from you. The rep's at the Maruti service centre scratched my rear windshield whilst trying to remove the film from my SX4. I obviously did not let them go any further.

When you say draw lines, how would you say I should go about doing it without causing any damage ? The rest of the instructions are fairly simple, but the blade on a glass part is quite scary.

I spent a bit of time looks for a corner strip to pull, but the film is hugging the glass quite well and I'm kind of stuck with it.
Draw a light line.. dont press the blade too much on the sun film.. and then using the blade pull out the sun film just that much so that u can pull it by your hand.
For the rear glass which had defoggers, use the blade inbetween the line and the edges where the sun film ends to pull the film just enough and then use your hand to pull it completely. I think I have not damaged the defoggers in both the cars... testing not yet done on them :-)
Old 26th May 2012, 09:40   #2065
BHPian

Quote:
I have posted details of what these markings mean here in this very thread.

Rajan
Rajan, I am unable to decipher this specific Civic picture posted here using the details in the link.

Appreciate guidance.

Ex. No DOT markings. No Percentage marking.
Old 26th May 2012, 09:43   #2066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhukar_n View Post
Draw a light line.. dont press the blade too much on the sun film.. and then using the blade pull out the sun film just that much so that u can pull it by your hand.
For the rear glass which had defoggers, use the blade inbetween the line and the edges where the sun film ends to pull the film just enough and then use your hand to pull it completely. I think I have not damaged the defoggers in both the cars... testing not yet done on them :-)
Thank you. I've been attacking the film with tooth picks and sharp plastic edges just now. Voila !!! I have managed to rid most of it from the rear windshield. The rear defogger is intact and so is my windshield.
Old 26th May 2012, 10:13   #2067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Rajan, I am unable to decipher this specific Civic picture posted here using the details in the link.

Appreciate guidance.

Ex. No DOT markings. No Percentage marking.
Will be happy to help with whatever I am able to find. Please post the picture.

Rajan
Old 26th May 2012, 10:55   #2068
BHPian

Quote:
Will be happy to help with whatever I am able to find. Please post the picture.

Rajan
Rajan, I meant the same picture that is posted in #2048 of the Civic glass.
Old 26th May 2012, 11:41   #2069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nareshtrao View Post
Rajan, I meant the same picture that is posted in #2048 of the Civic glass.
Oh. Post #2048 has a picture of Waggy's car window. If you are referring to the same one, then here is what it means:
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-windowmarkingsexplained.jpg

1. Temperlite-LT is the brand name for this type of glass. This is the registered brand of Asahi India's fully tempered safety glass for use as side and back glass.

2. ISI Specifications.

3. Logo of Asahi

4. Manufacturing Licence of unit conplying with IS specifications. This particular number in the picture translates to - 2081844 Asahi India Glass Ltd, 94.4Kms. National Highway-8, Vill.-Jaliawas,Tehsil-Bawal, Rewari, Haryana, Pin - 123501

5. E code. indicates the country that certified the windshield. E2 is France

6. TP-M33A - This is the model number of the glass. TP here means tempered, 33 means 3.3mm thickness and A means for use in Automobiles. Since tempered glass has other than auto use as well the 'A' is used. This is unique to the manufacturer.

7. 43R-001264 - certification according to EU standards

8. Identification of the manufaturing time frame of the glass. Not sure how to dechiper this code, but let me try and guess. My car was purchased in Dec 2007. Manufactured in Oct 2007. The glass has 07....

From this I am guessing that the glass was manufatured in April 2007

This picture has 09 ......

Applying the above logic, this glass must have been manufactured in June 2009 and this car must have been manufactured / purchased some time in the July - Dec 2009 time frame. This is only a guess and could be incorrect.

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 26th May 2012 at 11:44.
PatchyBoy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th May 2012, 12:06   #2070
BHPian

Quote:
Not all FIAT cars have this. My Palio Stile 2007 does not, for sure.

Rajan
When I replaced rear-windshield in my Palio 1.6 Sports 2006, I got the rear-windshield clearly marking as min 70% transparency. But the OEM glasses on all side did not have this marking. But if you look at the one of the link I posted, it says that AS1 and AS2 glasses are having a minimum of 70% transparency...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed