Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2012, 10:29   #2086
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Managed to remove 6 year old VKool film from rear glass (Corolla) in one stroke starting from top corner and applying constant pressure.
No tearing, came off in one piece in about 2 minutes work. No heating, no soap or blade used. Was much easier than originally imagined.
Only concern is that the defogger is not tested yet, hope its ok.
Old 27th May 2012, 10:38   #2087
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbarp
Managed to remove 6 year old VKool film from rear glass (Corolla) in one stroke starting from top corner and applying constant pressure.
No tearing, came off in one piece in about 2 minutes work. No heating, no soap or blade used. Was much easier than originally imagined.
Only concern is that the defogger is not tested yet, hope its ok.
Defogger will be fine as long as you don't scrape with a blade. My neighbours brand new i20's defogger was damaged when the sunfilms was scraped off with a blade.
Old 27th May 2012, 11:37   #2088
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Use a spray like colin and use a razor blade to scrape off the sticky glue.Be careful with the blade and use a piece of paper wrapped around the blade where you would be holding the blade in your fingers so as not to cut yourself.

Spray the area where it is sticky and scrape off with the blade while it's still wet.The glue would come off easily.

Good Luck.
Do not use a blade for the rear screen for cars with defogger .Use blade only for side glasses.Forgot to mention this.
Old 27th May 2012, 11:46   #2089
BHPian

I am planning to use Colin and a soft banian cloth. Will update in few hours.
Old 27th May 2012, 12:14   #2090
Senior - BHPian

I neither used blades nor any cleaning solutions. I just tried to peel the film off from the edges with my own nails and it just came off as a single piece. Even removing the rear film was also done with ease. I was using 3M CS20.

Last edited by rameshnanda : 27th May 2012 at 12:20.
Old 27th May 2012, 12:16   #2091
BHPian

Yesterday I removed sunfilm from window glasses. Work in rear windshield with defogger and printed antenna is not done yet. I pretty much used only handwash liquid soap+water mix for removing and cleaning left over adhesive.

I applied drops of the mix on sunfilm edges and used my finger nails to pull little bit film. Applied more drops of soap+water mix at that spot to pull little more, and then to completely to pull the film out.

I used paint brush to apply soap+water mix on the glass, and used newspaper and cloth to wipe out extra adhesive.
Old 27th May 2012, 12:53   #2092
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the Traffic Police in Chennai are continuing their crack down. Auto Freak has reported that he was caught and fined today morning in this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2790081

Looks like, my car's fuel consumption has gone up after removing the sun control films. (from my usual 5.3 - 5.4 litre/100 km to 5.8 litre/100 km) in the city. I will be able to confirm this after a couple of fill-ups.
Old 27th May 2012, 12:58   #2093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Looks like the Traffic Police in Chennai are continuing their crack down. Auto Freak has reported that he was caught and fined today morning in this thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2790081
You are right MAS. Even today the Chennai cops are in action. I heard the crackdown happening at Anna Nagar and near Saidapet on Mount Road.
Old 27th May 2012, 13:06   #2094
BHPian

Anyone has been caught in Kerala?

I have gone past 2 Police checkings which were apparently for helmetless 2 wheelers only.

From what i notice not many people have removed the films here except some taxis.
Old 27th May 2012, 14:04   #2095
Senior - BHPian

Chennai drive is in full swing. Perungalathur, Alstom near Pallavaram, Shanti Petrol bunk near Airport are areas where cars are being stopped.

I still have all my sun film in tact. I am still not motivated to remove and am ok to pay fine. I am wishing some stay order in the near future that will stop this nuisance. Driving in night with family on board and staring eyes is my concern over heat.
Old 27th May 2012, 14:09   #2096
BHPian

I have got my sun films removed at 3M Car Care at Marathalli , near to Yashoda Hospital. I was little worried about the rear windshield with defogger and printed antenna, so ruled out DIY option.
It was very easy to remove from side window films, they were able to remove it in few minutes as whole, with out even any traces of adhesives. But all my happiness are gone when they started removing rear films. I have asked them whether any need of heating up the windows using a blower from outside, for that they said no. They were able to remove the film only by bits and pieces, and were using some blade also in between. And latter they struggled a lot to remove the adhesives.
I have tested the antenna, it's working as earlier. Yet to test the defogger.
Old 27th May 2012, 14:28   #2097
BHPian

After 1 hour of scrubbing with Colin, and Vista glass cleaner, I have sore arms and managed to clean only 25% of rear glass. I have a long day ahead. I might as well do it in parts.

NOTE: Switching on defogger to heat the rear glass helped. The film was Garware Classic.
Old 27th May 2012, 14:36   #2098
BHPian

Did a DYI today on 1.5 year old 3M RE 35. Armed with paper knife and Amway's See Spray, removing fill was quick. Have not removed film from quarter glass yet.

For rear glass, I scratched surface until i could create a small hole in film. Form there I could easily use paper knife to cut the film. Tested defogger as working. DIY is always fun.
Attached Thumbnails
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-wp_000139.jpg  

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-wp_000141.jpg  

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-wp_000142.jpg  

Old 27th May 2012, 18:48   #2099
Senior - BHPian

Did a DIY job on my 9 year old Esteem with RE35. Job was pretty smooth except for the quarter glass that took a little while. Most of the film came off without any glue sticking on to the glass but some places indeed bore the brunt of the glue which I had to remove later. Did the same thing in a 4 year old i10 with RE35 and the results were much better and the process easier. Guess with time, the film tends to leave some glue behind. Yet to do it for my 2 year old Civic. Dont have the heart to remove the film. Hoping for some light at the end of the tunnel once the Supreme court is back in action.

I had asked the 3M guy to do it over the weekend for which he quoted 500 INR per car. Am happy that I have saved 1K today.

Last edited by rr_zen : 27th May 2012 at 18:49.
Old 27th May 2012, 19:03   #2100
BHPian

I was stopped by Cops today in Kasturba Nagar, Adyar for Tints and then I was waived off. Guess my Garware 50% VLT saved me. The cops are present in many interior roads these days than on the main roads.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed