Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2012, 19:35   #2101
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Did the deed !

3M films gave no trouble. Nudge a corner up till it is grasp-able between two fingers, slow steady pressure pulled out neatly, no traces or gums left over. Car feels little roomy and strangely different. And everything is visible, need to find a way to hide things from prying eyes. (Have left the open quarter-panel like glasses in the rear door.. couldnt get a proper corner and doesnt look too obvious anyways)

Strangely I saw two films in couple of my windows, one a thin tinted and sticky one and a slightly thicker and transparent on it. Any one else saw same?
Old 27th May 2012, 20:00   #2102
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

gave a try removing my punto's 3 month old Llumar sunfilms and ended up leaving the job half finished! Started with the passenger side front window. Film came off easily, but liberal amount of glue was still left over! Tried using colin but found it to be not so easy. Finally left the job half done after it became dark! Will attempt again tomorrow evening.
Seems to be more difficult that I thought!! Probably has to do with the quality of the film used!
Old 27th May 2012, 22:25   #2103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram
Did the deed !

3M films gave no trouble. Nudge a corner up till it is grasp-able between two fingers, slow steady pressure pulled out neatly, no traces or gums left over. Car feels little roomy and strangely different. And everything is visible, need to find a way to hide things from prying eyes. (Have left the open quarter-panel like glasses in the rear door.. couldnt get a proper corner and doesnt look too obvious anyways)

Strangely I saw two films in couple of my windows, one a thin tinted and sticky one and a slightly thicker and transparent on it. Any one else saw same?
I did on my Indica's garware classic film. Even posted a pic earlier in this thread. I left the clear film be on the glass, saves the trouble of cleaning the glue off
Old 27th May 2012, 22:48   #2104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autocrat View Post
I did on my Indica's garware classic film. Even posted a pic earlier in this thread. I left the clear film be on the glass, saves the trouble of cleaning the glue off
The trouble was.. there was no glue per se, only the sticky thin film, with the tint and in between the glass and thick-transparent film, holding the set up.

BTW, wouldn't leaving the thicker one invite trouble, in case cops check?

(I like the idea, as any such film could reject some heat!).
babu.sundaram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 04:28   #2105
BHPian

Folks, any update of Traffic Police activity in Hyderabad? As in asking people to remove films, marking with a key or asking to pay challan/penalty?

I stay near Hi-tech city & dint find any cop stopping vehicle for sun film yet, may be they ain't too serious about Supreme Court verdict.
Old 28th May 2012, 06:52   #2106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babu.sundaram
The trouble was.. there was no glue per se, only the sticky thin film, with the tint and in between the glass and thick-transparent film, holding the set up.

BTW, wouldn't leaving the thicker one invite trouble, in case cops check?

(I like the idea, as any such film could reject some heat!).
Its barely visible, I am hoping they won't look very closely
Old 28th May 2012, 07:36   #2107
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7
gave a try removing my punto's 3 month old Llumar sunfilms and ended up leaving the job half finished! Started with the passenger side front window. Film came off easily, but liberal amount of glue was still left over! Tried using colin but found it to be not so easy. Finally left the job half done after it became dark! Will attempt again tomorrow evening.
Seems to be more difficult that I thought!! Probably has to do with the quality of the film used!
Yep. Many reported trouble removing lumar films. 3M on the other hand, is the easiest to remove. To add to it, film is just 3 months old.

Be very careful if you have rear defoggers.
Old 28th May 2012, 10:42   #2108
Senior - BHPian

Sunfilm removal drive is getting pace in Mangalore, guess will need to follow the herd and remove the films soon:(

While many have started to remove the films, we are yet to hear anything on the "stay-order"?? before the anything happens on the stay most of us wold have removed:(
Old 28th May 2012, 10:56   #2109
BHPian

Removed the film on my car. Don't remember what make the sun film was. But it was an alternative to 3M and it cost a little more than 3M.

However cautious I was, it still would make the split/splat noise now-and-then and leave a little glue. And my father was a little less cautious, and he left a lot of glue on his window.
The rear windshield was completely mine, and removed it without a single split/splat.

We then started off with a nail polish remover, and by the time I had finished 2 windows, and my father, half of his window, the nail polish remover almost got over. We then took a break for lunch.

I then came back with a little thinner that was left over, and continued where my father had left. Even the 50 ml thinner got over, and still there were traces on 2 of the windows. Now, went over to a hardware shop, bought a 500 ml thinner bottle, (Rs 40), and finished the job. Sparkling clean, and it took me close to three hours from start to finish.

I still have numbness on my fingertips. But am absolutely pleased with my DIY effort.

Tips:
Slow and steady
Thinner
Gloves
Patience
Time
vinya_jag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 11:04   #2110
Senior - BHPian

^^Now leave the car alone for a full day, with all windows open for good measure. Fumes from thinner / nail polish remover may be toxic and make you giddy.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 11:12   #2111
BHPian

do not forget to liberally spray soap-water mixture during the process..it really helps!!
Old 28th May 2012, 11:15   #2112
BHPian

I think all this discussion of DIY tips & tricks need to be on the DIY thread. Would be nice if we stick to discussing only the SC ruling here. Would make both threads more informative.

Thanks,

Rajan
Old 28th May 2012, 11:26   #2113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Anyone has been caught in Kerala?
From what I heard in KL police is only asking films which are very dark to be removed.
Old 28th May 2012, 11:27   #2114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyline GT-R View Post
Anyone has been caught in Kerala?.
I heard cops were stopping cars around Kollam town..no removal, just warnings. [But, I'm not 100% sure about this info., because it was hearsay.]

On the other hand, I can confirm that here at Cochin, 90% of the vehicles are still sporting sun-films; no changes. Cops also don't seem very interested in stopping cars with any grade of sun-films; it's still helmets, seat-belts and intoxication that are checked here. But I understand that some of the major car dealerships have stopped offering sun control films as additional accessories at vehicle delivery time and are pondering about what to do with the remaining stocks they have acquired.

M_83
Old 28th May 2012, 11:49   #2115
Senior - BHPian

I had driven to Kerala and also drove around Kochi but did not notice any sunfilm checking in Kerala or Tamil Nadu. Most vehicles were still having sunfilm and some were having very dark ones.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks