Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2012, 11:52   #2116
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrikantDora View Post
Folks, any update of Traffic Police activity in Hyderabad? As in asking people to remove films, marking with a key or asking to pay challan/penalty?

I stay near Hi-tech city & dint find any cop stopping vehicle for sun film yet, may be they ain't too serious about Supreme Court verdict.
Drove around Paradise and Begumpet the other night and on the NH9 between Bowenpally and Nizampet X Roads yesterday evening. There were cops for other reasons (all over the news), but no one was interested in sun film. The film on my father's Indigo is from 3M and is much darker than the RE35 I have on my car (and for which I was caught in Gurgaon). So it is definitely either SP20 or CS20, but didn't attract the cops' attention.

How I wish I had never relocated to Gurgaon.

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by spadix : 28th May 2012 at 12:18.
spadix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 14:26   #2117
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

First time I got the aftereffect of removal of sunfilm. Yesterday, I was returning from Tirupati to Bangalore with family and guests. Just after Kolar one KA-05 registered Swift overtaken me. Their windows were completely down and ours were full up with AC one. I removed sunfilm from my Safari a fortnight ago.

Wife was sitting in passenger seat and guests were at back. Some 4 - 5 young goons were in Swift. They started making indecent gestures towards us and sometimes they were slowing and overtaking again and repeating same thing.

I do not remember, I did anything to them but they were self provoked. I made up my mind to go to any extent to protect my family. Some, three - four times they did it to us and then they stopped somewhere for loo-break.

I was feeling so helpless on that NH-4 highway I could not explain it. Anyway, we reached home safely but left the bad taste on our mind about his journey.
Old 28th May 2012, 14:45   #2118
BHPian

I agree with what Anuj has experienced. I removed the film on my figo last saturday and I am not happy. I had a Garware classic which is so very mild however had to remove it with utter sadness.

The films cameout however when i saw closly, there was a trasnsparent film still stuck to the windows. To remove this is a pain. I am still working on it and will post the pictures sshortly.

Today I had to attend a function and on way back peeping toms were staring at the car an experience I never had when the tints were on I had to keep telling my 6year old son to sit properly and behave as people were staring. Not really sure why people do that.
Old 28th May 2012, 14:53   #2119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Drove around Paradise and Begumpet the other night and on the NH9 between Bowenpally and Nizampet X Roads yesterday evening. There were cops for other reasons (all over the news), but no one was interested in sun film. The film on my father's Indigo is from 3M and is much darker than the RE35 I have on my car (and for which I was caught in Gurgaon). So it is definitely either SP20 or CS20, but didn't attract the cops' attention.

How I wish I had never relocated to Gurgaon.

Regards,
spadix

So you are upset because the cops in GGn enforce the law more strictly than the cops in Hyd?

Last edited by himanshugoswami : 28th May 2012 at 14:55.
Old 28th May 2012, 15:22   #2120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post

So you are upset because the cops in GGn enforce the law more strictly than the cops in Hyd?
Yes.

As to which cops enforce the rule better, Rule 100(2) was around before May 4, and cars with darker tints on their glasses gambol around happily in front of the Sec. 51 PS even now.

The fine for unnecessary/prolonged honking in Gurgaon is INR 1000 for the first offence. Enforcement my foot!

Regards,
spadix
Old 28th May 2012, 15:27   #2121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Yes.

As to which cops enforce the rule better, Rule 100(2) was around before May 4, and cars with darker tints on their glasses gambol around happily in front of the Sec. 51 PS even now.

The fine for unnecessary/prolonged honking in Gurgaon is INR 1000 for the first offence. Enforcement my foot!

Regards,
spadix
Looks like you have not taken a liking to GN

As someone who also moved from Hyd to GGn, i can understand your emotions! I still miss HYD!!
himanshugoswami is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 16:10   #2122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
First time I got the aftereffect of removal of sunfilm.
They started making indecent gestures towards us and sometimes they were slowing and overtaking again and repeating same thing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
Today I had to attend a function and on way back peeping toms were staring at the car .......
I also observed a few focussed stares, specifically at signals, which was making my wife uncomfortable on Saturday evening. Here is my solution

1. Clean the glass using whatever is your normal method and dry completely
2. Apply Silvo silver polish ( it comes in metal bottles similar to Brasso)
3. Allow to dry completely
4. Polish with soft cloth. The polish becomes a powdery substance and you may have to dust the car again
5. Once the powdery stuff has come off, polish vigourously with another clean dry soft cloth
6. Repeat process if required

End result - Your window glasses have an almost mirror like finish. From 3 feet distance outside the car, all you can see is your own reflection. One has to come less than a feet to the glass to be able to see inside. I did notice far lesser stares when we went out yesterday evening.

I did not do this treatment to the front or rear windows, as I was not sure if there will be any image distortion / loss of visibilty. I did not feel any loss of visibilty from inside the car through the side windows. Since there is no film pasted, I am confident I haven't broken the law . The AC also seemed to cool faster, as the heat was being reflected, but that could just be psychological

Not sure how long the gloss will last. Will try and post pictures later.

Rajan

EDIT: I did this treatment only to the outside surface of the glass

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 28th May 2012 at 16:37.
PatchyBoy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 16:34   #2123
BHPian

I did a DIY removal of sunfilm from my Getz and Swift over the weekend. I now have a bucket full of the useless removed sunfilm. I dont want to put it in the trash.

Does anyone have the address of the great Mr. Avishek Goenka - would really love to send him a gift of the removed sunfilm.

Can we all do that ? Am sure he has figured out a way to dispose the sunfilm ? If not let him find one !
Old 28th May 2012, 16:43   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Does anyone have the address of the great Mr. Avishek Goenka - would really love to send him a gift of the removed sunfilm.

Can we all do that ? Am sure he has figured out a way to dispose the sunfilm ? If not let him find one !
Great idea

Took the liberty of posting on FB

Rajan
Old 28th May 2012, 17:06   #2125
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami

Looks like you have not taken a liking to GN

As someone who also moved from Hyd to GGn, i can understand your emotions! I still miss HYD!!
in gurgaon,i call these laws "emergency money", also known as "GTP welfare fund".
at times cops in ggn are stranded,far from family,home and atm.
what to do in such dire times?
fish out a rulebook.
"tyre pressure in 3 tyres 30 psi,4th tyre 31 psi? fine 1k."

sometimes ,"jusht".

some of the most crooked cops i have ever seen !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian
I did a DIY removal of sunfilm from my Getz and Swift over the weekend. I now have a bucket full of the useless removed sunfilm. I dont want to put it in the trash.

this is pure evil genius!

Last edited by mayankk : 28th May 2012 at 17:19.
Old 28th May 2012, 17:22   #2126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
I also observed a few focussed stares, specifically at signals, which was making my wife uncomfortable on Saturday evening. Here is my solution

4. Polish with soft cloth. The polish becomes a powdery substance and you may have to dust the car again
5. Once the powdery stuff has come off, polish vigourously with another clean dry soft cloth
I have a smile on my face. This is what I have to do to live in this country as a law abiding (middle class) citizen?
Old 28th May 2012, 17:25   #2127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
I have a smile on my face. This is what I have to do to live in this country as a law abiding (middle class) citizen?
Sad truth, isn't it? Look at the bright side. My car has never been so clean and shiny, ever since I bought it

Rajan
Old 28th May 2012, 17:43   #2128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post

End result - Your window glasses have an almost mirror like finish. From 3 feet distance outside the car, all you can see is your own reflection. One has to come less than a feet to the glass to be able to see inside. I did notice far lesser stares when we went out yesterday evening.

I did not do this treatment to the front or rear windows, as I was not sure if there will be any image distortion / loss of visibilty. I did not feel any loss of visibilty from inside the car through the side windows. Since there is no film pasted, I am confident I haven't broken the law . The AC also seemed to cool faster, as the heat was being reflected, but that could just be psychological

Not sure how long the gloss will last. Will try and post pictures later.

Rajan

EDIT: I did this treatment only to the outside surface of the glass
Can you please share where do you get the polish and what is the approximate cost? Thanks for the tip anyways.
Old 28th May 2012, 17:55   #2129
BHPian

I bought these shades this noon at a traffic signal near Manyata tech park. Rs.150/- for four nos.

It is stuck to the window through vaccum creating knob. Press it against the window and there you are with some privacy.
Attached Thumbnails
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-side_window-sunshade.summ.jpg  

nandans2005 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 18:08   #2130
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukeshgoel View Post
Update:
Delhi Traffic police has put a barrier between Dhaula Kuan and Brar Square (and a speed camera before that).

They are bringing the speed to almost zero of every car and catching the speed violators & everyone else with films and removing the films on spot (and fine of course)
This is almost a permanent place for catching speed and film violators. Saw DTP 9 out of 10 times at the same place.

Last week, they were removing films of a Toyota Prius alongwith other cars.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks