Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2012, 11:26   #2236
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesice View Post
Slightly OT : Is this allowed instead of Sun Films ?
Lolz! Now this will give even more privacy on the road that anyone can expect!! I think that this is already banned, ain't it? This is how one can make a joke of the SC's new rule!

Lets wait to hear Supreme Court's take on this once this practice will be common on the roads.

r-six
R-Six is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 12:49   #2237
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Just got this from a friend...

This is the judgment passed on the rule for tinted glass on vehicles in India, verbatim as a pdf file.It actually clarifies all the queries that we had while reading the newspapers.

It also shows that the supreme court has dwelled at length before delivering the verdict and is unlikely to be challenged in the future.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SC_tintedglass.pdf (250.1 KB, 660 views)

Last edited by mobike008 : 1st June 2012 at 14:17. Reason: Please use a text editor instead of wordpad. Thanks
manasm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 14:13   #2238
Senior - BHPian

Got the sun control film removed 2 weeks before the deadline of 5th June for Bangalore. Took nearly a week to get acclimatized to driving without films. Now i am feeling i should not have put sun control film at all. Firstly it took nearly half a day to install the films. Now it took exactly similar time and more mess as the glue had to be scraped off all the glasses.

Driving in the day time has not been very bothersome for me, wife and 10 month old. Of course we have to have the AC going at speed 2 for the entire duration and baby has to be covered with a blanket to limit exposure to the sun. Otherwise the car is cool for the entire drive but does get heated up the minute you switch off the AC for even a second. Went on a long drive to Udupi over the weekend and did not face too much trouble without films.

The only worry is of the sub and amp in the car whenever i have to park it in unknown territory. Nothing can be done and have to live with it i guess.

And what Rajan (PatchyBoy) has mentioned in many of his posts are correct. The glass from the manufacturer already has some amount of tint in my car. It is 75% VLT front and back and 70% on the sides clearly mentioned on each glass. When parked under a tree, its not very easy to peep into the car from about 3 feet. Only if the peeping tom comes as close to touch his nose to the glass can he clearly make out what has been left inside. Same for the boot glass too. Now with the Silvo polish idea it will be even better during the drive Only concerns would be when parked and that too, to an extent might be taken care of as nothing would be visible at a single glance from a few feet away.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 1st June 2012 at 14:15.
Old 1st June 2012, 19:32   #2239
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix
This is the key. As long as you can prove (to the cop that catches you) they are factory-fitted, you'll be fine. This won't be a problem though because cops seem not to mind the suction-fitted black wire pads (kind of proves the uselessness of the PIL and the lack of proper understanding of the CMV Rule and SC verdict on the ground).

By the way, there is a certain class of cars that isn't homologated, no? There was a gentleman on this thread reporting his Touareg comes with near 50% VLT rear windscreen, if I'm not mistaken.
I think if the vehicle is CBU and costs above certain limit (may be it's 50 lacs, I am not sure) then it does not require homologation. However, we own C220 which for sure went thru homologation process as it's neither CBU nor costs above 50 lacs and it has factory installed sun-blinds and as per dealer, perfectly legal!
Old 1st June 2012, 21:04   #2240
BHPian

Here is an interesting article on effects of exposure to direct sunlight specially while driving! I am not saying that the effects of driving without tinted glasses will be the same, but India, being hot and sunny almost all year round, and the fact that we wait in traffic signals more than driving, we may be exposed to similar risks.

Proof That the Sun Makes You Age Prematurely.
Quote:
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-original.jpg

This guy is 69 years old, but half of his face looks much, much older than that. He was a trucker and, for 28 years, his face received much more sunlight on the left side, resulting on premature aging. We all knew that being exposed to the sun makes you age prematurely, but seeing the dramatic difference in a single face is just stunning.
His condition is called unilateral dermatoheliosis, from the Greek dermis and helios, skin and sun. It's also called photoaging, and it results from chronic exposure to the sun's UVA and UVB rays. In his case, it only affected the left side of his face because of his work. As he drove, he received much many hours of sunlight through the left window of his vehicle.
The case was discovered and studied by Jennifer R.S. Gordon and Joaquin C. Brieva, dermatologists at Northwestern University, and published in the New England Journal of Medicine:
A 69-year-old man presented with a 25-year history of gradual, asymptomatic thickening and wrinkling of the skin on the left side of his face. The physical examination showed hyperkeratosis with accentuated ridging, multiple open comedones, and areas of nodular elastosis. Histopathological analysis showed an accumulation of elastolytic material in the dermis and the formation of milia within the vellus hair follicles. Findings were consistent with the Favre–Racouchot syndrome of photodamaged skin, known as dermatoheliosis.
The patient reported that he had driven a delivery truck for 28 years. Ultraviolet A (UVA) rays transmit through window glass, penetrating the epidermis and upper layers of dermis. Chronic UVA exposure can result in thickening of the epidermis and stratum corneum, as well as destruction of elastic fibers. This photoaging effect of UVA is contrasted with photocarcinogenesis.
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-medium.jpg

Since UVB and UVA can cause DNA mutations leading to skin cancer, the doctors recommended their patient to use sun protection and topical retinoids, as well as periodic monitoring for the apparition of skin cancer.

Source: Shocking Proof That the Sun Makes You Age Prematurely
Pri2 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st June 2012, 22:23   #2241
Senior - BHPian

This march before i had the "sunfilm" installed on my truck, i got to spend about 4hours on road between 10 - 2 and when we got back the entire family felt completely exhausted and bad head ache, this is while driving with AC.

Also since i was not using my sunglases, my eyes we red and was experiencing burning.

I decided to go for films soon after this, now with the tints being removed i think in summer i better not plan any drives during the day:(
Old 1st June 2012, 22:55   #2242
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
It also shows that the supreme court has dwelled at length before delivering the verdict and is unlikely to be challenged in the future.
This has been posted, read, dissected by many on this thread already.

If this is a SC level dwell, that you think is adequate, you need to see more of the SC orders! .... I'll refrain from saying anymore.
Old 2nd June 2012, 12:17   #2243
Senior - BHPian

The Hindustan Times, New Delhi, 02-June-2012
Attached Thumbnails
Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-emb.jpg  

Old 2nd June 2012, 12:34   #2244
Distinguished - BHPian

Reports in Kerala.

Drive against sun films will intensify from next week.

1) Cars with Dark Tints
Initially they will attract 100/- fine and will be asked to remove the films in 3 days. Failing to do so will attract a second fine of 1000/-

2) Cars with light films
Will be warned first and then they will start imposing a fine the second time.

Absolutely no films allowed. Only factory fitted ones are allowed.
Old 2nd June 2012, 14:19   #2245
BHPian

BHPians what happened to the Sunfilm companies filing an appeal in the SC?? 30 days have already passed and no appeal! Can this order still be challenged or not?? I dont know much about legal issues so hoping someone knowledgeable can shed some light
Old 2nd June 2012, 15:37   #2246
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I am planning to put good heat resistant films in my apartment's glass area which is quite large.

I was holding it for couple of years because of the cost invloved but keeping the current scenario in mind, will the dealer/stockist be willing to sell it at significantly lower price than they used to sell it for?

Any contact information in Gurgaon?
Old 2nd June 2012, 16:23   #2247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1o1 View Post
BHPians what happened to the Sunfilm companies filing an appeal in the SC?? 30 days have already passed and no appeal! Can this order still be challenged or not?? I dont know much about legal issues so hoping someone knowledgeable can shed some light
Honorable supreme court of india is on summer vacation till 2nd july. We can expect something by that time
http://www.ebc.co.in/calendar/sc_calendar2012.pdf
devil_klm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2012, 16:42   #2248
BHPian

Update from Hyderabad:

No one is aware of the SC ruling !! Neither the Cops, nor the Vehicle Owners !! Life is peaceful till now !! Cannot imagine driving car in 42 Deg of heat without sunfilms !!

Update from Bangalore:
My Brother has 70% visibility 3M fims on his Verna. He went to the RTO office to enquire if the sun-films need to be removed and where to get it removed. To his surprise, he was told by RTP Sub-inspector that the tint on his car was not visible and that's there's no need to remove the tint !! He also mentioned that contrary to the SC ruling that if the tint has day and night visibility of 70%, that was fine !!
Old 2nd June 2012, 16:54   #2249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
...... I'll refrain from saying anymore.
+100 to that and thanks. It is really annoying when some one surfaces out of the blue and posts the SC ruling here. No offense to anyone, but do fellow TBHPians who come around posting here honestly believe that this thread has crossed 2000 posts without even looking at the ruling, leave alone discussing it.

I think this thread has outlived it purpose. If you take the pains of reading the last five pages, you will see that the same picture gets posted multiple times, the same question gets asked multiple times and the same clarifications get posted multiple times. While we all wait for someone to come and do something, we don't even have the time or inclination to read what has already been said. This is really sad, especially from a forum of educated responsible members.

Let us not forget, like how you did not have time to read all the posts on this thread, everyone else also do not have time. So we just keep posting in circles.

Sad.
Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2012, 16:55   #2250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manasm View Post
Just got this from a friend...

This is the judgment passed on the rule for tinted glass on vehicles in India, verbatim as a pdf file.It actually clarifies all the queries that we had while reading the newspapers.

Thanks manasm.

Mods: This post should be pinned as it contains the real SC judgement document. Or appended to the first post in the chain.

After a detailed read, it is very clear that nothing is permitted on factory fitted glass, which of course , need to conform to the minimum 70/50 % VLT limits.

Darn, now I will have to shed my light tint film. But on the other hand with the report in today's DNA Mumbai paper, there is a severe shortage of on duty traffic cops on the streets of Mumbai. ;-)

Last edited by longford : 2nd June 2012 at 16:56. Reason: Spelling
longford is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed