Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2012, 14:07   #2281
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
One silly question - the deadline (in Bangalore) ends tomorrow (5th Jun).

Does it mean that Bangalore Traffic Police will start slapping fines from 5th Jun or does it mean that they will start slapping fines from 6th Jun.

Rohan
Knowing BTP, they will start fining you tomorrow without going into the literal meaning of deadline.

So, if you have to remove the tints, today's D-Day!
Old 4th June 2012, 14:22   #2282
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Rajan, don't you think we are over-reacting here with first the skin-cancer thing and now this truck-driver part ?
Maybe I am indeed overreacting. But from what I read in research papers and from what I analyze of data I have gathered so far, I am not very convinced that excessive exposure to sun is a good thing. To make my stand clear -
1. I only said that skin cancer is a possibility that should not be taken lightly
2. I wanted to create an awareness of the harm UV rays can do.
3. I am sure you will agree that our children are not exposed to the sun as much as we were, when we were kids.
4. A child who has been protected all his/her life and now suddenly gets all this needless exposure, I am not too confident that they will be able to take it.

If you have the time and inclination, please do read this article

Here is a jist:

Quote:

In this article meteorological measurements in India are analysed showing marked trends of increasing temperature over the past quarter century, but significant variations in these trends during different seasons and over different regions of India. Marked differences between the variations in minimum temperatures in North and South India have been brought out. Tentative explanations are proposed in terms of the effects of variations in cloudiness. The effects of airborne dust on clouds and on precipitation, as well as the interactions between air flow over the mountains and the monsoon may also have a significant effect on climatic variations. The practical implications of these changes in climate for agriculture and the effects on human health through increasing temperature are likely to be serious, and vary significantly across the regions of India. For India, the importance of dealing with climate change as an integral part of its economic and social development is strongly emphasized.
My contention is, why would I want to put my children in harms way, for no fault of theirs? Not only are we exposing them to this needless exposure, but also ensuring they will suffer in the long term by having no responsible means of disposing the discarded sun control film. I think it is not fair even if one child gets affected by needless exposure. I had 3M CR70 films in my car all around and took it of promptly on 4th May. I did not want to avail of the grace time that BTP gave. My fight is not for allowing pitch black films with 0% VLT, but is for allowing UV and heat rejecting films that do not lower the VLT% to non-compliant levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Instead of trying to make the cops aware, isn't it easier to make ourselves aware ? The ruling says "no films" and from what I understand, the judges did not bring in any new rule - they just enforced implementation of existing MV rule which does not allow any films to be pasted on glass. So why this kolaveri against Goenka/Judjes etc ? Remove the films and you are ok - no need to bother about interpretation of the rule by some cop in whichever part of the country.
Sorry. I disagree. What you say might be acceptable in the current context. I however feel this is a great oppurtunity to bring reforms in the system. Any law and the court's interpretation of the same has to be applied uniformly across the country by law enforcement agencies. If the contention that Sun Control Films do contribute to an increase in crimes, due to the lack of visibilty is true, then how can the Scorpio picture posted in this thread be allowed? If that is allowed, then the primary contention of this PIL is negated, isn't it? Some cops think it is OK and some others think it is not. What if another ruling is passed tomorrow that affects an even larger section of the public and the enforcement agencies go about implementing as they deem fit? Don't you think it is necessary for the enforcement agencies to understand what they are enforcing?

I also do not think it is so easy to make ourselves aware either. If you are referring to just you & me, then maybe, yes. But how does one go about making the average user aware?

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 4th June 2012 at 14:44. Reason: Corrected grammar
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 14:46   #2283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Guys, just checked with a friend who's familiar with this - no extensions. So get ready ..

Btw, cousin got fined last week in Horanadu !
Is 'Hora'nadu outside Karnataka?

I thought the extension (for removal of Sun-Control film) was for the state of Karnataka and not restricted to Bangalore alone!

Guess we need to start with Geography lessons before we move over to Criminal Science!
Old 4th June 2012, 14:58   #2284
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Btw, cousin got fined last week in Horanadu !
There was police checking yesterday at Kalasa and I was given a challan for INR 100.00 but ended up not paying it due to some local contacts there. The SI told me that for Chickmaglur district, the last date for the removal of sun films was the 1st of June 2012, which I still refuse to believe.

By the way, Hariya is grounded for the next month now, waiting to see what happens before I think of a solution.

In the worst case, if I have to remove the existing 3M, it will be 3M CR 70 on all sides since it is barely noticeable.
Old 4th June 2012, 15:35   #2285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
Is 'Hora'nadu outside Karnataka?

I thought the extension (for removal of Sun-Control film) was for the state of Karnataka and not restricted to Bangalore alone!

Guess we need to start with Geography lessons before we move over to Criminal Science!
The extension and deadline was given by Bangalore City Police not by govt of Karnataka, Different districts has different deadlines, they would have announced in local news papers and through sound systems around that towns.
shamanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 15:48   #2286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Knowing BTP, they will start fining you tomorrow without going into the literal meaning of deadline.

I have already removed the sun films.

I was more interested in knowing when can we start to expect traffic jams once the Traffic Police starts stopping vehicles on the already congested roads, to impose the sun film ban. Plus the sadistic pleasure of seeing other car owners getting fined for not removing sun films.

Rohan
Old 4th June 2012, 15:55   #2287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

Yup, Today is the D-day. BTP has made it clear in one of their replies on facebook that from Tuesday they'll start fining :(. I guess now we've no other choice but to remove the films and that probably would mean that I should now get the seat covering done too.
Old 4th June 2012, 16:30   #2288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
Yup, Today is the D-day. BTP has made it clear in one of their replies on facebook that from Tuesday they'll start fining.
Not sure where you got that info. I am unable to find any such reply on BTP FB page.

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-btp-fb1.jpg

As a matter of fact, this reply clearly states that they will start fining from 6th June.

Also, BTP just responded to a post and confirmed it is applicable to all vehicles. Now lets see if they really mean it and they remove films from their own vehicles.

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars-btp-fb.jpg

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 4th June 2012 at 16:54.
Old 4th June 2012, 17:54   #2289
BHPian

I doubt if unsocial elements are going to remove the films. Saw some of my colleagues having films removed from their cars today. Btp has tried to communicate with everyone regarding removal of films. Overall satisfied with how BTP has handled the matter. I only wish for the amendment to be speeded up by the government. As petrol prices are also going to decrease as is evident from todays government meeting.

Cheers! !

Last edited by Parthasarathig : 4th June 2012 at 17:56.
Old 4th June 2012, 19:23   #2290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
I had 3M CR70 films in my car all around and took it of promptly on 4th May.
Rajan
how much did it cost you to get CR70 all around? I paid 6K for my CR70 on the windshield.

The solar energy rejection of CR70 (50%) is way superior to RE70(34%)
thanks
Old 4th June 2012, 19:31   #2291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy
My contention is, why would I want to put my children in harms way, for no fault of theirs?
Even assuming that lack of sun-film on cars puts them at risk (which is debatable) how much time do kids spend in cars vs the time spent outside on the playground in school or playing with other kids ? We can't keep kids cocooned and unexposed to sunlight for all their life, worried that they will contract skin-cancer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy
But how does one go about making the average user aware?
Why do we really need to do that ? Or to put it better, why do you think they need us to make them aware ? They would definitely be reading newspapers which have info about this enforcement. Or, they would be hearing of it from others ? Or they see this mentioned by the cops on the LED boards at traffic signals. Infact the average user is not as bothered about this as we are at tbhp. I talk to my colleagues and find just 2 types of response
(1) I have films installed and will either remove it now OR do it if I am fined (betting on the cops waving them off saying the film is not dark).
(2) I dont have films installed - so am good.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 4th June 2012 at 19:45.
Old 4th June 2012, 19:37   #2292
Senior - BHPian

Update - They have now started checking parking lots for cars with tints !
I was warned by the parking attendants at welcome metro station that the cops come here every morning to note down the numbers of cars which have tints. I removed the tints from my NHC and went i there the next time i was stopped by 2 cops in plain clothes at the entrance of the parking lot and was let go after they checked the list of offenders they had with them.
Whats next ,visiting residential areas and asking people to let them inside their homes to check the cars ?

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 4th June 2012 at 19:40.
Old 4th June 2012, 20:01   #2293
BHPian

Ah! Finally settled down after the last few problematic pages and now checking the left out episodes of this thread!!

Got the tints removed on the last weekend of May and ended up spending 1000k to replace the window glass of my car. Some one running short of cash to spend his weekend, broke open the glass to flick what appeared to be a laptop bag. The positive side of it is ended up be-friending the cops in local police station!

I willfully and whole heartily accept that the fault is on my side tempting a moron to break my car glass by leaving a bag visible to him. Never had a problem leaving laptop bags on may tiresome nights on my heavily tinted car. May be an one off day, but thinking about it just gets me to the extent of hating our ruling hopeless and handicapped government to the core. Imagine how many people can be provided day-to-day essentials with the money looted by the current government so far!! How many chors can be avoided with the looted money and how many petrol hikes can be saved!!

Argh! strictly OT but fumes coming out of my ears thinking about the mishap that happened to me after the tint removal! :(
Old 4th June 2012, 20:06   #2294
Senior - BHPian

WOW, am not sure if this one of case or every ruling has been taken so seriously and at a such a short time frame?

I think "digital" auto meteres where made mandatory long back but event till this date i see most of the o;d ricks with the old once.

So why so much seriousness lo only to enforce this rule?

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Update - They have now started checking parking lots for cars with tints !
I was warned by the parking attendants at welcome metro station that the cops come here every morning to note down the numbers of cars which have tints. I removed the tints from my NHC and went i there the next time i was stopped by 2 cops in plain clothes at the entrance of the parking lot and was let go after they checked the list of offenders they had with them.
Whats next ,visiting residential areas and asking people to let them inside their homes to check the cars ?

Last edited by lohithrao : 4th June 2012 at 20:07.
Old 4th June 2012, 20:12   #2295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
WOW, am not sure if this one of case or every ruling has been taken so seriously and at a such a short time frame?

I think "digital" auto meteres where made mandatory long back but event till this date i see most of the o;d ricks with the old once.

So why so much seriousness lo only to enforce this rule?
That's not a correct argument. We should question why the digital meter rule was not implemented promptly and completely. But not why this rule is being implemented. Definitely no, irrespective of how much I dislike this rule.
cuboid is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed