Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2012, 00:59   #2311
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Some inputs from my side:
As I mentioned earlier 'Ignorance is No excuse' under any law. The problems most people are facing in general is accepting their mistake.
Now, I present three threads (must be many more) which I came across on T-BHP.
I believe if given 'proper attention', they can give the sun control film thread a run for its money.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-slippers.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...t-illegal.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...-pg-4-a-5.html

Last edited by carwatcher : 5th June 2012 at 01:10.
carwatcher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 07:55   #2312
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
But during the time they are under the sun, dont you think they have it coming direct onto them as compared to the barrier (car roof / windows) that shield them in the car ? We don't cover them in sun-film when we send them out to play in the sun, or do we ?
Biju,

I dont know what to say. I cannot understand why you seem to think that UV radiation and heat from the sun are the same thing.

Anyway -

1. UV radiation that passes the Ozone layer is between 290 nm to 400 nm
2. A/C will reduce the heat and keep the driver/passengers cool
3. Most of the heat comes from higher wavelengths
4. UV IS NOT EQUAL to HEAT
5. You only seem to relate SUN = HEAT and do not seem to acknowledge that Sunburn is not caused by the heat of the sun

If you believe that over-exposure to sun will not affect you/your children, then good for you.

Thanks,
Rajan
PatchyBoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 08:18   #2313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

At age 40 and being a father of 2 kids, it would be only natural that my friends circle would be mostly "parents". I seriously don't understand - don't you guys have an a/c in your cars that can resist whatever it is that the sun throws at you ? That is what guys like us without sun-film on the windows use against the sun.
Having had three cars from 1999 with out sunfilms and also being the parent of two children for atleast a decade, and driving them around through out India in those cars, and being in the circle of "parent" friends, I must admit that the AC designed by OEMs in all these cars took good care of us.
Old 5th June 2012, 08:38   #2314
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy

Biju,

I dont know what to say. I cannot understand why you seem to think that UV radiation and heat from the sun are the same thing.

Anyway -

1. UV radiation that passes the Ozone layer is between 290 nm to 400 nm
2. A/C will reduce the heat and keep the driver/passengers cool
3. Most of the heat comes from higher wavelengths
4. UV IS NOT EQUAL to HEAT
5. You only seem to relate SUN = HEAT and do not seem to acknowledge that Sunburn is not caused by the heat of the sun

If you believe that over-exposure to sun will not affect you/your children, then good for you.

Thanks,
Rajan

Patchy is correct. The sun rays consist of 3 parts. The heat causing rays known as Infrared (IR) rays, the visible spectrum, which we can see and the UV rays that cause all the major problems like sun burn, skin cancer etc.

Even the cheapest film blocks 99.9% of UV rays and hence films are required. Also the effects of UV are more pronounced when you are sitting in a closed space like a car which has UV rays incident on it rather than when you are out in the open walking/playing in the sun.
Old 5th June 2012, 08:56   #2315
BHPian

Yesterday I saw in one of the news channels that BAR association is filing an appeal over this issue within two days. They want to reconsider the rule for services like ambulance, cash carrying vehicles etc.
Anyone knows more about this?
Old 5th June 2012, 09:26   #2316
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_fan View Post
Patchy is correct. The sun rays consist of 3 parts. The heat causing rays known as Infrared (IR) rays, the visible spectrum, which we can see and the UV rays that cause all the major problems like sun burn, skin cancer etc.

Even the cheapest film blocks 99.9% of UV rays and hence films are required. Also the effects of UV are more pronounced when you are sitting in a closed space like a car which has UV rays incident on it rather than when you are out in the open walking/playing in the sun.
Heat is present in all the 3 parts mentioned by you. The percentage of heat is different among them. UV does not constitute major heat, IR does and also does is the visible spectrum. So even if you block UV and IR, depending on the VLT, you still get heat.

IR constitutes little over half of heat, visible a little less than half and the remaining UV (ofcourse there are others also). sun burns are caused by UV.
Old 5th June 2012, 09:26   #2317
Distinguished - BHPian

Recommended Reading:

Top 10 Sunblocks & Sunscreens-Best Beauty Products - iVillage

Best Sunblocks - How to Choose an SPF Sunscreen - Oprah.com

Best Sunscreen: The 9 Best Sunscreens from Steep to Cheap

Hope it solves the sun/UV issue. Oh and plz consult your doctor for vitamin D supplements that MAY be required if you do not go out in the sun AT ALL.

BTW, what films do you guys use at home on your windows? Or are the children not allowed to go near the windows at home?

EDIT:

Jokes and sarcasm aside, aren't you guys taking this sun / UV issue a bit too far?

- Didn't you'll grow up without sun films? Are your arms falling off or sprouting malignant growths?

- Your children sit in their balcony, near the window at school, play in the ground safely. But the 30 min in the car will fry them?

- You can't quote caucasian studies. Look at indian studies. Indians and Africans are darker for a reason. No, not because of Russel Peter's reason: "god said, we'll take indians, cover them with hair and put them in the hottest place on earth just for fun!" No. Not that. We stay closer to the equator. As a protective mechanism, we have more pigmentation in our skins that protects us from harmful rays. This is a millennia of evolution. Do you think a few decades of using sun film will reverse a millennia of evolution?

- Make your children wear full sleeved clothes or apply a sunblock if you are worried.

Not trying to poke fun here, but the trend i'm seeing is that people are just arguing for the sake of finding a fault with the judgement.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 5th June 2012 at 09:48. Reason: see edit
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 09:48   #2318
Distinguished - BHPian

So any updates on police action in Bangalore today ?
Old 5th June 2012, 09:50   #2319
BHPian

Drove from Padmanabhanagar to Bellandur, no checks, no fines in my route (Bangalore)
Old 5th June 2012, 10:02   #2320
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I dont think they would start fining today. I believe it would be from tomorrow. Anyway, i didnt find cops out for this purpose today when i drove to work.
Old 5th June 2012, 10:08   #2321
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Did not notice ant checking today. Seen a few police vehicles plying still having dark films.
Tomorrow might be a different story as the deadline seem to end today!

Cheers!
Old 5th June 2012, 10:13   #2322
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, @Benny & @Volkman. Just wanted to make sure before taking the Ikon out today. The BTP FB page does say it will be from tomorrow.
Old 5th June 2012, 10:19   #2323
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post

Hope it solves the sun/UV issue.
Oh and plz consult your doctor for vitamin D supplements that MAY be required if you do not go out in the sun AT ALL.
Thanks for the useful links. Nice point about vitamin D supplements.
Quote:
BTW, what films do you guys use at home on your windows? Or are the children not allowed to go near the windows at home?
I don't know about the others, but the glass windows in my house have Saint Gobain Sun Ban reflective glass.

Quote:
Jokes and sarcasm aside, aren't you guys taking this sun / UV issue a bit too far?

- Your children sit in their balcony, near the window at school, play in the ground safely. But the 30 min in the car will fry them?

Not trying to poke fun here, but the trend i'm seeing is that people are just arguing for the sake of finding a fault with the judgement.
No Sir. 30 minutes in the sun will actually do them good. You see Tejas, we used to go for very long drives in the weekends - 150 to 200 kms - just to have lunch and come back home. It was a nice family outing and quality time spent together. That activity has stopped since May 4th, because it is uncomfortable to travel in the car for such durations, after removing the sun control film. This in spite of no dramatic increase in visiblity.

In spite of smoking for 30+ years now, the doctor certified that my heart and lungs are in a great shape, when I got my annual medical examination done in March. (He also said don't push your luck ). Will that justify me from going out there are claiming that smoking is a harmless habit? Nothing has happened to me in 30 years, so nothing can happen to anyone else either, right?

I am not arguing for the sake of finding fault with the judgement. I am arguing for the sake of people's well-being.

Of course, I have no control over how you perceive it.

Thanks,
Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 5th June 2012 at 10:27.
Old 5th June 2012, 10:56   #2324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Make your children wear full sleeved clothes or apply a sunblock if you are worried.
I would like to know that how many people bother about UV protection, IR, Heat Rejection and then how many bother only about the VLT (darkness) while going for installation.
I feel that if many would have done so sincerely then we wouldn't had this ban or this thread.
Secondly, at any given point of time, the sunlight would be coming from one or max two sides in a car, why can't kids be moved to area opposite the sunlight. That should take care of the problem.

I am getting strong feeling that the Hon'le SC or Lawmakers will reconsider the ban and allow total combined VLT of 50/70 including Sun Control Films/Tints on the glass (and rightly so), BUT despite saying that I must also say that similar misuse by putting darker films will also start (even few BHPians and so called educated drivers in metro cities will also do that). Not everyone will be reading this thread or trying to understand the real situation and when the ban is lifted, will not be knowing what and how it happened will go back to his usual practise of putting darker film.

OT
I can't help but comparing the situation of what happening in our Goa.
Here every day, a mini traffic jam takes place at Miramar, one in the morning and another in the afternoon. Reason, school starting and getting over. Now consider that the school is the most sought-after school in Goa and is located at a posh locality. So when the parents drop/pick-up their kids, its traffic jam with all kind of luxury cars are parked on the busy road and the helpless traffic policemen can't really do much as everyone thinks he/she is a VIP. Also remember that more than half of the cars are driven by ladies. Believe me this is really a big nuisance for other people.
Now to lessen the severity of the situation, Govt has erected a covered Foot over bridge after spending good sums of money. But the first reaction of the parents (esp mothers) that we would NOT encourage our little kids to take the FOB beacuse our dear kids are already tired after the school and they have to carry the burden of the bags on their tiny shoulders and climbing the footsteps with the bags would be Torturous for them (why can't mothers/maids/drivers carry the bag, which anyway were and are doing), therefore the caring parents have collectively decided not to use the FOB. Tell me who is at fault, Govt or so called Aam Aadmi (I understand school is not for Aam Aadmi).

Last edited by carwatcher : 5th June 2012 at 11:00.
carwatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 11:08   #2325
BHPian

Quote:

Drove from Koramangala to EC no check, was smooth.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks