Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th June 2012, 14:34   #2341
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive
3M CR50 on the sides and 3M CR70 on front and back of my Cruze - Rs 27,000/. 3M CR70 on all windows of the 2 month old Innova - Rs 34,500/.
Am not at all knowledgeable about sun-film or various brands/models, but from what I read here, these films you have on your cars are the lighter type but still able to resist heat/radiation. And given that these are not the dark type, I doubt you would be pulled over by the cops. Atleast from what I see in Chennai, they are focussing only on catching/penalising the cars with dark tints. So, if you have not yet removed them, it would be maybe wise to wait and watch.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 14:41   #2342
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
3M CR50 on the sides and 3M CR70 on front and back of my Cruze - Rs 27,000/.
3M CR70 on all windows of the 2 month old Innova - Rs 34,500/.
Probably you should wait and see how the implementation goes in your city. The CR50 and CR70 are good in visibility, and there are chances that you may not get pulled over at all.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 14:44   #2343
BHPian

Now removing sun films also has become an industry ! Since last week, there are people in my office basement parking offering this service ! I think some of the drivers who have lot of time in their hands are making some extra bucks. Today they reminded me that it is the "last day" to remove. I smiled at them and told I will push my luck till I am caught and fined first time. Just in case some PIL or something put a stop to this...I don't like to be law breaker, but having seen so many flip-flops in government policy, I prefer to wait and watch.

Would our police show same enthusiasm in making sure that vehicle number plates are as per law and it can be read ? Nobody seems to be serious about that...It has become a fashion in big cities to have your number plate in local language so that lot of people can't read it. There should be some clear law about it. Funny thing is that, they even insist on using local numerals which are not even taught in school these days !
Revy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 14:45   #2344
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive View Post
3M CR50 on the sides and 3M CR70 on front and back of my Cruze - Rs 27,000/.
3M CR70 on all windows of the 2 month old Innova - Rs 34,500/.

Just drive as usual , even if pulled up for the film you could just pay the Rs.100 fine and then decide on removal!

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 14:49   #2345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy
Would our police show same enthusiasm in making sure that vehicle number plates are as per law and it can be read ? Nobody seems to be serious about that...It has become a fashion in big cities to have your number plate in local language so that lot of people can't read it. There should be some clear law about it. Funny thing is that, they even insist on using local numerals which are not even taught in school these days !
Wish someone files a PIL for this to be enforced properly. It is a pain to see number-plates written in vernacular languages, making it difficult to report them in case of accidents. And yes, the height of it is using local numerals.
Old 5th June 2012, 14:50   #2346
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Am not at all knowledgeable about sun-film or various brands/models, but from what I read here, these films you have on your cars are the lighter type but still able to resist heat/radiation. And given that these are not the dark type, I doubt you would be pulled over by the cops. Atleast from what I see in Chennai, they are focussing only on catching/penalising the cars with dark tints. So, if you have not yet removed them, it would be maybe wise to wait and watch.
It would still be a gamble, right. To get a visual understanding, check this link . That is an application of 3M Prestige 70% VLT film. 3M CR70 is similar.

While I do agree that ignorance is not an excuse to break the law, I also firmly believe that breaking the law intentionally is a crime. So, I will not recommend anyone to retain their sun control films and continue driving.

But that is just me.

Rajan
Old 5th June 2012, 14:50   #2347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Just drive as usual , even if pulled up for the film you could just pay the Rs.100 fine and then decide on removal!

Cheers!
Volkman - it is not just fine..They forcefully remove sun film on the spot and we will have to bear with the waiting and all that. Have seen posts on this thread about experiences in Delhi/Gurgaon. Police behave in same way in all places, so we need to brace for this. I'm in Bangalore and from tomorrow, I will know how serious the local police is.
Old 5th June 2012, 14:54   #2348
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy View Post
Volkman - it is not just fine..They forcefully remove sun film on the spot and we will have to bear with the waiting and all that. Have seen posts on this thread about experiences in Delhi/Gurgaon. Police behave in same way in all places, so we need to brace for this. I'm in Bangalore and from tomorrow, I will know how serious the local police is.
The notification issued by BTP was not stated as a forceful or on spot removal. We need to wait and watch for the happenings that unveil tomorrow.

Cheers!
Old 5th June 2012, 14:58   #2349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Wish someone files a PIL for this to be enforced properly. It is a pain to see number-plates written in vernacular languages, making it difficult to report them in case of accidents. And yes, the height of it is using local numerals.
In Bangalore, it is a major issue. It is fine even if the alphabet parts are in local language. But the numerals, I thought India has adopted the 0-9 numerals as standard and every literate person should know that. No disrespect to local numerals, but we need to be practical at the same time. I asked many of my colleagues who are locals and all of them told they can't read the numerals ! We need to be sensitive to the lakhs of people who can't read English. So the best solution would be to have plates in both languages, but numerals should be only the standard 0-9 set. Sorry for going off topic !
Old 5th June 2012, 14:59   #2350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
The notification issued by BTP was not stated as a forceful or on spot removal. We need to wait and watch for the happenings that unveil tomorrow.

Cheers!
This is what the SC ruling says:

Quote:
25. The competent officer of the traffic police or any other authorized person shall challan such vehicles for violating Rules 92 and 100 of the Rules with effect from the specified date and thereupon shall also remove the black films from the offending vehicles.
If the police just challan but do not remove the film, they will be in contempt of court.

Rajan
Old 5th June 2012, 15:01   #2351
mxx
BHPian

First of all, I feel that the court judgement should have atleast excluded the 70% vlt sunfilms. Although I am FOR enforcement of ban on sunfilms with BELOW 50% vlt, but AGAINST ban on all sunfilm including ones above 50% vlt.

After reading through all the posts, I can understand that most people blame the court, form the above reason. But, is the court only ones to blame? Courts came into the picture only recently. What about the morons who were violated the rules so blatantly-the rule that sun films should be above 50% vlt? It was so openly flouted, and I am sure many in this forum too, despite knowledge about the rules, chose to disregard it. And that too for silly reasons like privacy and cool looks. Despite it only takes common sense to understand that it can severely hamper visibility specially at low light conditions like night, during heavy rains , fog etc. It is because of these people too, that we are in this situation.

Now, my intention is not start a blame game. There is no point in conducting an autopsy on this. My post is to stress 2 points
1. If we are to blame the court or criticize the judgement, we should also blame the people who flouted the existing laws as said above. That is the reason why the pil was first filed
2. Most Important: If we suffer slight inconvenience and follow existing rather sane laws, we might not end up with worse, more stupid and draconian laws later
mxx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2012, 15:23   #2352
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
If the police just challan but do not remove the film, they will be in contempt of court.
Agreed to what you quote. But please note for whatever reasons the same is not being followed in all states.
For us in Bangalore it would be wise to wait and see what happens on the D day!

Cheers!
Old 5th June 2012, 17:54   #2353
BHPian

Knowing Bangalore Traffic Police, they would be supremely efficient in enforcing this sadistic rule one way or the other. The only way to retain privacy is to wear masks.
Old 5th June 2012, 18:09   #2354
Senior - BHPian

Removed mine 30 minutes ago. Used Cif plus Colin to clean the glass. Cif made the glass so clean and shiny that I am worried that Police will think there is still some film

The hardest was the rear window. Its cumbersome to reach it and clean the minimum deposits left behind. But still the 3M films came off without any major issues.

Last edited by srishiva : 5th June 2012 at 18:10.
Old 5th June 2012, 18:46   #2355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revy
In Bangalore, it is a major issue. So the best solution would be to have plates in both languages, but numerals should be only the standard 0-9 set.
Same in TN. I haven't seen this in Kerala. And no idea whether this lousy practice is followed in AP. But having 2 sets of plates is making things complicated. All that is required is to have just the English version thereby ensuring uniformity across the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy
It would still be a gamble, right. While I do agree that ignorance is not an excuse to break the law, I also firmly believe that breaking the law intentionally is a crime. So, I will not recommend anyone to retain their sun control films and continue driving.
A gamble indeed, but given the light-film we are discussing about, a gamble that might be in favour of those having it on their cars, atleast in Chennai. Regarding the law, yes in letter, it would be wrong to have film on. But if you take the spirit behind the enforcement, the whole idea was to provide visibility into the car and these films provide it, while also keeping heat/radiation at bay. But leave it to each person to take his own informed decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx
it only takes common sense to understand that it can severely hamper visibility specially at low light conditions like night, during heavy rains , fog etc.
+100. Could not agree more on how even slightly dark films hamper visibility even in evenings. Or even how a Chipkoo on one side window can create issues when you glance back to check for blind spots.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks