Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2012, 21:31   #2551
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Yesterday morning I visited ABT Maruti and while returning took a U turn at the Sardar Patel Road junction, when I saw a traffic sergeant on his bike and two traffic cops bang in front of me! But they did not at all react to my 50% tints and I proceeded on my way. To be honest I have never seen any crack down on this account so far, though I have read about them in papers.
There is crack down happening in Chennai. But, the cops are not serious about the light shaded tints. Only the cars which have the dark shaded films are penalized so far. I was penalized 2 weeks back by the traffic cops near the Camp Road junction at Selaiyur in Chennai.
Old 10th June 2012, 21:48   #2552
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pri2 View Post
I feel like a fool for peeling off my sunfilms now!!
You are not alone friend! There are a lot of us who are now confused with what is happening around! One the one side, we try to be dutiful citizens and peel off 3M films which were no where dark, but were there for heat protection only. The reason being, "all types of films" directive. Now the cops seem to implement "their" version of the law. I am not sad that others' films are not being ripped off, I am sad because the law as it will be implemented was not made clear. Ofcourse the BTP could not have said "we will implement the no films law by allowing thinly colored films", that would be contempt of the court, but what they could have done is alteast advertised it properly saying that is dark and what is not. "Advise" people to remove all films, but provide a waring first only when they felt it was too dark.
The serious with which it was advised is not followed on the road, that leads to good citizens to lose trust on the law of the land. That hardens the guys to be less law abiding the next time.

Remember the Shepard and the tiger story?
Old 10th June 2012, 23:11   #2553
BHPian

My final report from Pune (unless things change drastically) - everything is normal now, no actions on tints as far as I know, after day one. I have stopped right by traffic police at signals, with my tinted windows rolled up - no problemo. Even dared to venture out with my darker tinted Fiesta, and again, no issues.

But I have to admit, every time I see a cop raise his hand, my heart skips a beat. I do want to keep my tints, simply because Samara looks so good with them - and I would hate to have them ripped off!
Old 10th June 2012, 23:25   #2554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by man_and_machine View Post

Remember the Shepard and the tiger story?
I guess you meant the Shepard and the wolf story

Anyways just drove back from Manchester United restaurant back to my home and saw cops stopping cars checking for drunk driving but even heavily tinted cars were given a green signal.Though I feel foolish for removing my 3M films but guess the law would be enforced starting next week onwards.

Anyways the only benefit I got from removing my tints on dayone itself is I don't get mini heart attacks every time I see cops flagging down any vehicle in front of me

Rest I have given up.Touche.
Alter_Ego is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 11:14   #2555
BHPian

To fellow BHPians in Blr,

Doesnt look like the drive has started so far. Drove from Sarjapur road to BTM and back on Sat evening and this morning to Ulsoor via ORR - Koramangala - IRR - Indira Nagar and absolutely no action anywhere. Could see a lot of cars with black tints and the cops were not bothered. They were just manning the traffic and trying to instil lane discipline (guess it is the outcome of the BTP Enforce Lane Discipline campaign). They were instructing the so called smart drivers who take the left lane and then swerve right at the junctions not to do so and were trying to keep the left lanes free to enable those that wanted to take a left. Nowhere did they seem to be on the lookout for the tints.
Old 11th June 2012, 11:15   #2556
Team-BHP Support

Bangalore cops don't seem to be very interested in checking/fining vehicles for tints.

I saw cops at 2 junctions walk past car with very black tints.
Old 11th June 2012, 11:16   #2557
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego
Anyways the only benefit I got from removing my tints on dayone itself is I don't get mini heart attacks every time I see cops flagging down any vehicle in front of me

Rest I have given up.Touche.
Thats the only positive side I see after removing the sunfilms from my car, and that's how I try to convince myself from feeling stupid and sad :(
Old 11th June 2012, 11:58   #2558
BHPian

I was in Panipat the day before, and unknowingly drove my car into a strategic spot for the traffic police to round it up for sunfilm check. I was asked to lower the window pane, and sure enough the glasses were found to have sunfilms. (70/50 % VLT Garware Ice Kool range sunfilms on untinted glasses put one year ago).

Could almost see 5.5k plus penalty going down the drain. However, not one to give up, I started explaining the guy about lightness of tint, adequate visibility inside the car etc. I was told that now any sunfilm is banned. I admitted knowing the fact and pleaded mercy so to speak keeping in mind the harshness of sun. Fortunately it was hot afternoon and my wife too pitched in with a 'mercy plea'.

Somehow, the guy agreed and let us go without another word or demand.
Lucky escape indeed! Thank you mate, whatever is your name, for seeing the reason!
Old 11th June 2012, 12:18   #2559
BHPian

Luckily for me, I got the sunfilms for free when i bought the car, so it didn't hurt me much when I removed them( although I did have to pay 300 Rs to get them removed ) . I feel sorry for the people who paid a huge amount of money to get them installed.
I have got used to driving without tints now and since the summer is almost at end, I feel I can manage without them.
Old 11th June 2012, 12:33   #2560
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Luckily for me, I got the sunfilms for free when i bought the car, so it didn't hurt me much when I removed them( although I did have to pay 300 Rs to get them removed ) . I feel sorry for the people who paid a huge amount of money to get them installed.
I have got used to driving without tints now and since the summer is almost at end, I feel I can manage without them.
I got them free as well; but it still hurts to get them removed, so I am holding on!

Come to think of it, they are not "free" really, but part of the discount/free accessories package we get while buying the car. If not this film, we could have chosen something else, so it is still money out of our pocket!
Old 11th June 2012, 12:40   #2561
Distinguished - BHPian

A cop was standing near Bhashyam circle Sadashivanagar signal with a digital camera in hand. I presume he was standing there to stop cars with tints. Saw him stopping two cars. Both cars seemed to have no tints on, so he let them go.
Old 11th June 2012, 13:00   #2562
BHPian

Saw a cop with a camera in hand and busy taking snaps of vehicles passing by on Adugodi road signal junction near the Forum Mall. I am presuming that he was taking pics of cars with tints still on.
Old 11th June 2012, 13:17   #2563
BHPian

After 4.5 years and 95k km, I had no problems getting the sunfilm removed. In any case the interiors of the Swift are a bit claustrophobic so I'm rather enjoying the difference. Privacy is compromised, though and I'm sure the ac would have to set lower especially in hotter climates. Doesn't make much of a difference in Blr.
Old 11th June 2012, 13:48   #2564
BHPian

I had some unwanted attention after removing sunfilm (had forgotten what that was like ever since I gave up riding a two-wheeler and had dark sun-film in my car(s)). Was returning from Koramangala and when stopped at Richmond Circle noticed a motorcyclist going in the opposite direction had his helmet strap hanging and thought to myself that he would get caught since there was police presence down the road.

As I cleared the junction, i saw that the same motorcyclist was following my car. Drove on as if I hadnt seen him and slowed down to almost a stop at the big speedbreaker in front of SBI on Museum Road (before the fork on St. Marks Road), proceeded very slowly (which the motorcyclist couldnt do) over the speed breaker and turned left at the last possible moment after he had already committed to turning right.

Saw in the rear view mirror that he stopped at the turn wondering how to backtrack and follow as I sped away.

Guess have to be prepared for more of the same as the roadside romeos now have more visibility. sigh!!
Wheeliej is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 14:07   #2565
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood
Actually there was on old Supreme court or High Court verdict in the last decade which intrepreted the same CMVR 100 rule as, sunfilms which didn't alter VLT beyond the prescribed limit to be legal. This time it's gone against any films.
Is it possible to source the previous ruling (which allowed sun-films provided overall VLT was within 70/50) and then use that to appeal against the current ruling ? Because different interpretations of the same law by the same court is both confusing and inconsistent. And given that the MV law goes into minute details, there should not be a case for inconsistency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy
what if another person goes to court and files a PIL against tyre upsize. If you read the CMVR, tyre upsize is already illegal. Any modifications to essential components of the Automobile that is not approved by RTO is illegal. Most of us here know for a fact - both by first hand experience and proven research - that a tyre upsize done scientifically actually improves safety.
If it is illegal as per the law of the land (like you said above), then it is illegal to upsize, irrespective of what tyrebible.com says or what we individually think about the benefits of upsizing. While I agree that upsizing tyres could provide better stability, the other side is that the manufacturer who rolls out cars with OE size would surely have done lots of research/tests to ensure the right tyre for the car, given the conditions it is to be used.

But yeah, if such a ruling comes in force, imagine the plight of the cops in enforcing it. With sun-films, it is easy to sport dark ones visually and pull them up. But tyres would involve knowing OE sizes for all cars and then checking what is on the cars etc.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks