Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2012, 20:38   #2581
BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Everyone who has removed sunfilm:

Please stand 3 feet away from your car and check if you can see a bag or something else place inside your car. You most likely cannot. Bikers always stared at your car, even when you had film. They were just checking out their own reflection. You ignored them, because you knew they cannot see what is inside the car. Now, after removal of film, you are extra conscious of these stares, as you believe they can see inside your car.

Alternately, try this experiment. When you think someone is staring at you, smile. If they either look away abruptly or smile back, you know that they can see you. If they do not react, rest assured, they cannot see you.

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 11th June 2012 at 20:49.
Old 11th June 2012, 20:58   #2582
Senior - BHPian

Re: Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

@Rajan, I am sure people outside can see the person inside a car that has only factory tinted glasses (no sun-film).
The factory-tint is not dark enough to block view inside, atleast during the day. After sun-set, possibly they can't see as clearly, but during the day I am sure they can.

On the other hand, with cars having sun-film, it depends on how dark the film is.
I have seen cars with dark film, where you have zero visibility inside even during bright sunlight. And there are the lighter ones where you can see the driver.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 11th June 2012 at 21:01.
Old 11th June 2012, 21:04   #2583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
@Rajan, I am sure people outside can see the person inside a car that has only factory tinted glasses (no sun-film).
The factory-tint is not dark enough to block view inside, atleast during the day. After sun-set, possibly they can't see as clearly, but during the day I am sure they can.
No Biju. I have checked this. As long as you have clean glasses, they cannot see you clearly. They see more of their own reflection than they can see inside the car. I am not saying that they cannot see inside the car at all. But I am confident they cannot see inside the car clearly. Why dont you check for yourself tomorrow morning on the way to work, how clearly you are able to see people in other cars without sun control film? Make sure you roll your window down first.

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 11th June 2012 at 21:07.
Old 11th June 2012, 21:14   #2584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
No Biju. I have checked this. As long as you have clean glasses, they cannot see you clearly. They see more of their own reflection than they can see inside the car. I am not saying that they cannot see inside the car at all. But I am confident they cannot see inside the car clearly. Why dont you check for yourself tomorrow morning on the way to work, how clearly you are able to see people in other cars without sun control film? Make sure you roll your window down first.

Rajan
Two side to this, if the outside guy is standing as that Sun is at his back side, he probably will not be able to see much, its in line like Car - Outsider - Sun. But if its Outsider - Car - Sun, he can see through..
Old 11th June 2012, 21:20   #2585
BHPian

Quote:

Rajan
The result is quite the opposite at night where there are nearby lights (street lights, other vehicles, lamps from nearby buildings).
Old 11th June 2012, 21:20   #2586
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please stand 3 feet away from your car and check if you can see a bag or something else place inside your car.
I tried this the day you came up with the idea of polish for the glass. On the Chevy Spark, standing around 3-4 feet away, I was able to see the reflection of the surrounding and faintly make out the trace of the baby bed placed on the rear seat. The bag in the rear foot well was just a blotch and was not able to make out what it exactly was. But the moment I was around a foot away from the car, everything was as clear as day. This was tried during late afternoon with the car parked in an open area with trees on the opposite side of the road. Not sure if it will be different with different surroundings.
Old 11th June 2012, 21:25   #2587
Team-BHP Support

Lol visibility inside is perfectly aok, only in certain situation when the lighting is at an angle the reflection hampers the vision. Tried and tested all weekend and i was really amused at what all i saw inside On the other hand, its true that a groomer will have to move closer to see his own reflection.

2 paise worth, dont leave valuable where its easily visible. Under the seat is the most convenient spot to hide stuff No point denying realities of life.
Old 11th June 2012, 21:40   #2588
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
No point denying realities of life.
Couldn't agree more. I simply cannot understand why the POV of the rest of the world changed so much with a simple difference of .05 mm

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 11th June 2012 at 21:48.
Old 11th June 2012, 21:41   #2589
Team-BHP Support

While waiting at a signal in my car with no film, I could see everything inside each of the cars waiting at the signal. There was a lady eating, a guy messaging, a lady looking back at me and what not. Now if I can see them inside their cars and even see what they are doing, how is it possible they can't see me.

My mom and sister also commented. It looks like someone has lifted the curtains of the show inside all cars. You never see all this when they had sunfilm.
Old 11th June 2012, 21:57   #2590
BHPian

Almost every 2nd car in Bangalore are driving around with the tints. Most of it being the SUVs. One of the XUV had the mirror type tints !!

I was driving on the city since 10 to evening 7 pm. Was at signals many time, even had a cop standing in the signal next to me. But none stopped or even batted an eyelid to see my car with tints on. I am just not comfortable with an exposed car.

None of the cops were even looking for a car without tints. The body language of the cops were as usual " Casual and Lazy"

Last edited by nandans2005 : 11th June 2012 at 22:02.
Old 11th June 2012, 22:21   #2591
BHPian

I think I have said enough and more on this thread. I had 3M CR70 films and honestly, I do not see any difference in visibilty from inside the car after removing films. I find it a bit unnerving that people are concerned about privacy and safety of things stored in the car.

As a rule I have always put laptop / bags in the boot whenever I have had to park in open places. My amplifier is on the parcel tray and I have never taken my HU faceplate off, unless I am giving the car for servicing. Maybe I am plain lucky or just stupid.

I am protesting against this development only because it is an insult to my intelligence as a human being. I believe I have gathered enough information and data to argue my POV, both from TBHP as well as outside of this forum.

I did not put films in my car for privacy. I did so, because I understood the benefits of having them in the car. My fight will continue till the day I am able to put films back in my car, within the legally permitted limits. I did come up with the idea of polishing the glass, but it is not the same as having films. I am unable to convince the kids that this is a correct law. They want to know why, as they helped me peel the film off. I need these kids to respect the law and be law abiding citizen when they grow up. Afterall they look up to me as a saviour and it will break my heart to let them down.

I get to spend time with these kids only in the weekends and they really look forward to it. So, not having sun control film does not make much difference to them anyway.

Thanks for all the input and feedback guys.

Cheers,

Rajan

Last edited by PatchyBoy : 11th June 2012 at 22:39.
PatchyBoy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 23:10   #2592
BHPian

Quote:
I think I have said enough and more on this thread. I had 3M CR70 films and honestly, I do not see any difference in visibilty from inside the car after removing films. I find it a bit unnerving that people are concerned about privacy and safety of things stored in the car.

As a rule I have always put laptop / bags in the boot whenever I have had to park in open places. My amplifier is on the parcel tray and I have never taken my HU faceplate off, unless I am giving the car for servicing. Maybe I am just plain lucky or just stupid.

I am protesting against this development only because it is an insult to my intelligence as a human being. I believe I have gathered enough information and data to argue my POV, both from TBHP as well as outside of this forum.

I did not put films in my car for privacy. I did so, because I understood the benefits of having them in the car. My fight will continue till the day I am able to put films back in my car, within the legally permitted limits. I did come up with the idea of polishing the glass, but it is not the same as having films. I am unable to convince the kids that this is a correct law. They want to know why, as they helped me peel the film off. I need these kids to respect the law and be law abiding citizen when they grow up. Afterall they look up to me as a saviour and it will break my heart to let them down.

I get to spend time with these kids only in the weekends and they really look forward to it. So, not having sun control film does not make much difference to them anyway.

Thanks for all the input and feedback guys.

Cheers,

Rajan
I am a passive reader of this thread since I peeled of my 3M sunfilms just after 3 weeks of installing it. I do respect your sincere approach to the issue. But, I regret to say that I cannot agree with you. The plain/company-tinted glasses do not prevent people outside from seeing things and people inside the car. It is just the reflection at certain angles that is playing around with you. One can still avoid this reflection by using a pair of polarized goggles or by simply moving a step. I am not saying polarized goggles are common in India, but just saying as a matter of fact. My question to you would be why do you put screen on your house windows if things inside are invisible from 3-4 steps? I am sure nobody is going to come as close as to a car in the traffic to your house to peep in. Me and my family used to have a feel of privacy when my car had sunfilm on. A previously approved sunfilm (50% VLT) will surely not hide you and family completely from the people outside. But, it will surely give the bikers and other people around the car a feel that they are more visible than the people inside. It will protect the people inside from harmful UV radiation. It will stop the car's cabin from getting heated by sunlight to a great extent (if you visit 3M showroom, they will demonstrate this to you), which will in turn reduce fuel consumption and hence good for nature. And, at the same time, no one would be dare to do some illegal business inside the car with 50% VLT stickers on the windows. This is discussed all over this thread many times. There may be more expensive alternatives, however the point is what is the gain by banning 70% and 50% VLT films over all those good things we are losing.

On a side note, I lately saw a few vehicles, mostly Qualis with window screens made of cloth. Advantage is that they can decide when to be covered and not
rajni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 23:16   #2593
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajni View Post
A previously approved sunfilm (50% VLT) will surely not hide you and family completely from the people outside. But, it will surely give the bikers and other people around the car a feel that they are more visible than the people inside. It will protect the people inside from harmful UV radiation. It will stop the car's cabin from getting heated by sunlight to a great extent (if you visit 3M showroom, they will demonstrate this to you), which will in turn reduce fuel consumption and hence good for nature. And, at the same time, no one would be dare to do some illegal business inside the car with 50% VLT stickers on the windows.
That is a summary of all that I have been arguing about. Not sure why you are not in agreement with me

Rajan
Old 11th June 2012, 23:43   #2594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xydon View Post
Thanks for the info buddy.

So 01/7 is the doomsday and I would have to get the Sun-Films per VLT permissable limits??
01/07 is not the doomsday, as I said, the SC would resume back from vacation on July 7, and there is a petition filed for Stay order of the SC judgement. God knows, when will the hearing for stay order be heard.
Old 11th June 2012, 23:53   #2595
Distinguished - BHPian

I find your reasoning very balanced and reasonable.

On this point,
Quote:
My amplifier is on the parcel tray and I have never taken my HU faceplate off, unless I am giving the car for servicing. Maybe I am plain lucky or just stupid.
I guess you live in the right country, at least for now. You would not get away with it in my mother country, and I speak from bitter experience.

Breaking of glass from sheer vandalism: London 1, Chennai 1.
Breaking of glass for theft or attempted theft: London 2, Chennai 0.

I bought the nearest to totally transparent film that would reduce heat/UV as I could get/afford. I'm very fussy about visibility, and mine is not, not even on an unlit road, affected. If I have to loose it, I'll be upset, as in understatement of the year.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 11th June 2012 at 23:57.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed