Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2007, 09:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Car tints banned by HC! EDIT: Supreme Court bans all kinds of sunfilms in cars

Now even the 30% tint, which was earlier permissible, will now be illegal. The High court has said a special security committee will be constituted to grant permission for tinted glasses in special cases, like those of VIPs. These vehicles will be issued a seal and certificate.

I've got tints on both zen and Baleno. Zen has 50% visibility on sides n 70 % at the back...Baleno has 65% visibility on sides n no tints elsewhere.
Guys.!! Pls suggest what should be done?? Removing it totally will change the look of the car n also summers are round the corner...
Delhi ppl please share your experiences if any...

Old 27th March 2007, 10:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Thats a bit rude. I think the max transparency is 70%. So if 30% tint is not allowed, then how can we even put a sun film?
Old 27th March 2007, 10:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

This is totally ridiculous. They are blaming all the rape cases, road rage cases, accidents on TINTS. How funny?!
Methinks they are just trying to hide their own incompetence by passing such laws.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2007, 10:24   #4
Team-BHP Support

I read about the same in the TOI this morning.. and this was exactly the thought that crossed my mind...

They think that by banning the use of tints, the rape cases and assaults will stop? This is like looking for excuses.
Old 27th March 2007, 10:32   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I read about the same in the TOI this morning.. and this was exactly the thought that crossed my mind...

They think that by banning the use of tints, the rape cases and assaults will stop? This is like looking for excuses.
Has this started in bangalore again. O god. I'm not removing my 5K 3M tints for some silly rule every year which comes into effect then again goes off.

this is silly man.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2007, 10:32   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like Delhi is doing a Bangalore. In which case, expect the tint ban to be relaxed/removed in a few weeks/months.
Old 27th March 2007, 10:33   #7
Team-BHP Support

THis is just an easy source of revenue to the cops, as its easy to spot tints! Banning an essential item such as tinted windows, that too in Delhi where summer temperatures can go sky high is plain stupid. Just hope this doesn't make it down south as well.
Old 27th March 2007, 10:35   #8
Team-BHP Support

Vid, this isnt in Bangalore as of yet.
This is aimed at Delhi for now.. but then again... cancer of this sort could spread elsewhere too.
Old 27th March 2007, 10:46   #9
BHPian

Today's TOI story on tint being banned came as a rude shock..I have put 3M tint on my NHC just 10 days ago..got the certificate stating that it is allowed by law but now this ruling..

What shud one do in such a case..Grease traffic police palms?? That's what the rule will achieve..This anti-tint rule will result in cops minting money! How can rules be changed overnight without going thru the merits & demerits of the case? Is this a banana republic or what??
Old 27th March 2007, 10:50   #10
BHPian

.. so certified sunfilms like garware are banned now ?
Old 27th March 2007, 10:50   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
.. cancer of this sort could spread elsewhere too.
I think so yes. No one was looking at tints in this small town, but I wanted my Garware Lite Classic (70% visibility for back and 50% for sides) changed to a darker shade the other day when my vendor said .."No..don't you know they are clamping down on darker shades?" Stick to the Lites
Old 27th March 2007, 10:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

this is really really ridiculous.!
my xing has 50% visibility on all sides and back. was even thinking of getting the front windscreen tinted as the heat in delhi gets unbearable in the summers. hope this rule is relaxed/removed soon.!
Old 27th March 2007, 10:59   #13
Senior - BHPian

I think something is wrong here, the HC has asked Delhi trafffic police to only ban dark tints.

The permissible visual transmission for windscreens is 70 per cent while for the windowpanes it is 50 per cent conforming to Indian standards and they are not banned please check again.

OT:

Smoking while driving has also been Banned in new delhi,so also musical and extra loud horns.
Old 27th March 2007, 11:06   #14
Team-BHP Support

In Delhi, they have also increased all road and traffic related fines by Rs.500.

@ Rahul : While the ruling may be against dark tints, it is very well at the cops discretion to decide whether your car sports 'dark' tints or not.

@ Johy : While the Ford dealer was installing tints on my car, they also advised me to stick to the light tints, saying that the RTO morons were difficult to predict, as they dance to their whims and fancies.
Old 27th March 2007, 11:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

Any links or newspaper articles with the exact wording of the Order?

If the ban does come into effect (god forbid), maybe some newspaper can do a before-after comparison of the crime stats after a month or so and show nothing has changed. That should open their geriatric eyes. I mean, how foolish can people get? Maybe they can ban private transportation completely so none of this would happen anyway.

And anyway, if only VIPs get dark tints, the terrorists wouldn't have much trouble spotting them from really far away.

And maybe some newspaper/mag could compile stats on how the possibility of skin-cancer and what-not (in people who travel in cars) would become lesser if everyone started using tints in their cars.

Is it possible to get a tint-certificate for medical reasons? You know, like if your Doc says you have hyper-sensitive skin? ;P

Now I'm rambling...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed