Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2007, 13:40   #31
Team-BHP Support

What about high end cars which come factory fitted with tinted glasses(not film, but tinted glasses)?
I remember a guy who was pulled up in chd when the govt had banned all sunfilm.
The cop came to remove the film, but there wasn't any. The glass itlself was very dark, imagine having a tinted glass like a merc but 5 shades darker.
Due to the loophole in the law which was banning only sunfilms, he was not challaned. As for 70% rule the cops did not have any device to check that.
Old 27th March 2007, 15:55   #32
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Well, Can any one put some light on the fact - whether tints are banned in any other country?

Increasing the fine is a good thing, BUT... the underlying rules are ridiculous...
  • Speed limit throughout Delhi? -50km/h - fine Rs 900....
  • Stop line crossing? - at almost half the signals the stop lines are not even marked! - fine Rs 600
  • Unauthorised Parking? - There is just not adequate parking arrangements! but the towing arrangements are all functional - Rs 600 + towing change
  • Jumping red lights?.... hey what about the lights which don't function... the govt. should be changed for that!

Last edited by SLK : 27th March 2007 at 15:56.
Old 27th March 2007, 16:16   #33
BHPian

so is it advisable to go for sunfilms in other cities ..?
Old 27th March 2007, 16:37   #34
Senior - BHPian

Banning DARK sunfilm is in order.....as it does not let one see anything inside the car & may be a valid point for curbing crime....accepted, but 50% visiblility tints should be ok, moral of the story " Who decides if it is 50% or 80%" ....the cops....who will end up taking money to look the other way & challan anyone who doesnot pay even if the film has more than 50% visibility.

Just today afternoon I saw a Santro with the Darkest of Dark tints & a Police Qualis was next to it on a red light.....there was NO REACTION, wonder why........
Old 27th March 2007, 16:43   #35
BHPian

Well i guess the whole funda(motive) of the Judgement is to make people more cautious about their driving sense, as all in Delhi are so much into violating rules be it Jumping Red lights/talking on phone or Parking their vehicles anywhere across the roads without fearing any strict penalties......

Well rules are just the same as they were before......and
As per the Heavy fines i know the Violaters will find there way from 600 to 100( like before) all thnx to our Helpful and Friendly DELHI POLICE
Old 27th March 2007, 16:49   #36
BHPian

There will be a new massive Transport Upgradation, All Traffic lights are being converted into LED's. All lines will now be remarked with Yellow and Red for Bus Zone Only, 10+2 Educated drivers to Ply Blueline or DTC in Delhi with Uniform and ID Batch.

Special No Overtaking Roads to be Identified and Announced.

The fines you pay will be used for the upgrades.

Any Violation will now be punched in the Licence as a Small hole, Any 5 will lead to cancellation of Licence, Smart Card License system awaited.

Apprently as Quoted in TOI Delhi " One Traffic Official Informs that the Sun Film will be totally Ilegal, As earlier the law allowed for a certain limit, But the device to test the Film was expensive so we scrapped the idea"

Does anyone Know when the New Number Plate system is coming in place ?

Last edited by wolfinstein : 27th March 2007 at 16:55.
Old 27th March 2007, 18:34   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
OT:

Smoking while driving has also been Banned in new delhi,so also musical and extra loud horns.
Hey, Ive had the personal experience of being challaned for smoking while driving in Chandigarh and this happened about 3 yrs ago ..... , and then this Sat eve I was in Chd heading to the hospital and I again got stopped for smoking while driving -- the best part , 3 cars got stopped in a line -- my dad, my uncle and me ( all 3 smoking ) !!!!! But luckily they let us go s we were rushing to the hospital as my grand dad was very ill .

As for the tint rule ..... It was bound to happen !! Its the easiest way to blame something else for teh incompetency of the cops . But Im sure its gonna stay for a while , dont see it being changed -- though they might re consider the 30% limit or so .

But todays papers told me a few things that I was never aware of .... handsfree are also illegal and one can be challaned for talking on that as well while driving --- In that case they should challan the driver for talking even to his co-passengers while driving . Crazy stuff .

All these get implemented from the 9th April onwards ....... so guys WATCH OUT now !!!!!

Cheers

PS - And I dont blame the Govt at all ... as a lot of us have the habit of violating rules . If everyone had followed the 30% limit , maybe none of this wud have happened --- so coz of that the rest have to bear the heat .

Last edited by khaadu75 : 27th March 2007 at 18:44.
Old 27th March 2007, 18:44   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75
the best part , 3 cars got stopped in a line -- my dad, my uncle and me ( all 3 smoking ) !!!!!
That was hilarious.

Yes, handsfree is illegal in Chennai also. Recently, to promote awareness on that, they had these schoolkids lined up to hand over pamphlets to motorists at traffic lights. There were kids darting all around cars/bikes trying to hand over the pamphets, endangering their safety seriously as the motorists were driving all around them. Its crazy when elders do such stupid things without thinking about the dangers involved.
Old 27th March 2007, 18:48   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
Any Violation will now be punched in the Licence as a Small hole, Any 5 will lead to cancellation of Licence, Smart Card License system awaited.
Good system -- as long as it is implemented fairly. I hope it won't become an on-the-spot punching by a cop who is totally unaccountable, without the motorist having any voice against the act.

Eg: I was stopped twice (in the past year) by cops for alleged jumping of red-light. I did not, and I protested. After a few minutes, the cop who had radioed the violation to the cop who stopped me got to the place where I was stopped. Apparently a silver Indica had jumped the light. And the cop who caught me stopped me because he though I was driving an Indica (I drive a silver Palio).

This happened exactly twice, and the second time I got the cop (who stopped me) to radio the cop who radioed the violation ahead. And I took the (dumb) cop to the back of my car and showed him it was a Palio. Now, the first cop (the one who radioed ahead) became confused, and said it could be an Indica or a Palio (!).

In both cases the radio cop did not note down the regn no. (not even part of it) as the cop who does the catching is just ahead in the next junction. I had to do some fast talking and threatening and name dropping to extricate myself.

What if the cops don't listen and just tag my license anyway?

Quote:
Apprently as Quoted in TOI Delhi " One Traffic Official Informs that the Sun Film will be totally Ilegal, As earlier the law allowed for a certain limit, But the device to test the Film was expensive so we scrapped the idea"
Yeah, sure. Its like The Doc says "Hmmm... its too expensive to see if his kidney has XX problem. I'll have to get YY equipment for that. Too expensive. I'll remove his kidney just to be sure there's no problem later. What the hell, its his kidney anyway."
Not a very good example, and no offence intended to the medical profession, but I'm sure you folks get my drift.

PS: Why am I feeling this pissed? I don't stay in Delhi. And I prefer my car tintless anyway (though I got tints in my 4-year old car 2 months back with great reluctance just to keep my ICE hidden.)
Old 27th March 2007, 18:54   #40
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Special No Overtaking Roads to be Identified and Announced.
With so many cars on the road ... there are roads where one can not possibly think about overtaking. But there are other roads where autos drive in the right-most lane of a 6 lane road.... or other safety aware drivers drive at 30km/h....

Unless everybody is taught how to drive on these wide roads.... overtaking is the only way out for people who can drive.....

With such rules.... the day these things start getting implemented... this city would not be worth driving in.
Old 27th March 2007, 19:15   #41
Senior - BHPian

Survived the whole day driving around South Delhi.....Was cautious while crossing the check post barriers but most of the cops were chilling out in the shade to avoid burning in the delhi heat i guess....
Old 27th March 2007, 21:03   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Survived the whole day driving around South Delhi.....Was cautious while crossing the check post barriers but most of the cops were chilling out in the shade to avoid burning in the delhi heat i guess....

Thats coz this rule comes into force from the 9th April '07 , so till then you cud get away but after that I dont think one will get away that easily ..... Look at the bright side guys , the hot babes can't hide behind them dark tints .... everything has a silver lining , u just have to look for it

Cheers
Old 27th March 2007, 21:23   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaadu75 View Post
.. Look at the bright side guys , the hot babes can't hide behind them dark tints .... everything has a silver lining , u just have to look for it
Good thinking..!!
HC should apply this rule only for female driven cars..?
Old 27th March 2007, 23:24   #44
Team-BHP Support

Dont even get me started on the road sensibilities of the denizens of this country. Why Delhi, its no good anywhere else either. Every moron on a motorized vehicle, be it a phutt, a luna or a car thinks his granddad bequeathed the road to him.

By the way this tint thing has set me thinking. Forget a one-off thing like a merc. I have a more down to earth example. My Indica has a green tinted glasses. They are factory fitted. So even if I remove those light tints from the glasses it will still be a green hued glass all around. What does the law says about this? I hope they do not expect me to change all the glasses and windshields?!
Old 28th March 2007, 08:56   #45
BHPian

I think it is ridiculous to implement the dark tint rule when there is no objective way to test whether the tint is 30% or less, (barring the obvouslt 70% dark tint) It would mean that to get a quick buck, cops can easily claim you have a darker then norm tint and challan you for it, even if you don't, and have not way for proving it..... Btw, not sure, but when one buys/installs the tint, does the billing receipt say what % tint it is? and if so, could that be used a proof of legal tint?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks