Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd August 2020, 13:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pic: Ford Ranger pickup truck spied in India

Ford Ranger spied in India, could potentially rival upcoming Toyota Hilux.

Pic: Ford Ranger pickup truck spied in India-smartselect_20200822133656_chrome.jpg

Quote:
If Ford indeed plans to launch the Ranger in India, we expect it to be powered by the 2.0-litre turbo-diesel engine as the Endeavour. This powerplant can generate 167 PS of maximum power and 420 Nm of peak torque, and will be paired to a 10-speed automatic transmission and four-wheel-drive system.
The Ford Ranger will be focussed towards off-road enthusiasts, and is thus expected to feature a lot of Endeavour’s tech, like an active transfer case with torque on demand, Terrain Management System (TMS) with four driving modes, locking differentials, hill-climb assist, hill-descent control, traction control, rollover mitigation
https://gaadiwaadi.com/ford-ranger-s...-toyota-hilux/
Venkatesh is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 14:09   #2
BHPian

re: Pic: Ford Ranger pickup truck spied in India

The pickup truck culture is coming to dominate the Indians very soon, and not just off-roading possibilities but numerous mods that are possible on a pickup form added by its abuse handling nature.

Saw one Isuzu modded used by NHAI authorities in Andhra earlier this year in Andhra Highways on our way to Vishakhapatnam.

Pic: Ford Ranger pickup truck spied in India-img_20200124_143159.jpg
haisaikat is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 15:08   #3
BHPian

I love that bulky look of Pick ups with canopy as shown in above post. Also its more practical from usage point of view.

Have seen a few Ranger pick ups in South africa. Although looks good, but doesn't have the road presence of an Isuzu or a Hilux pick up. Clicked two pictures :

Pic: Ford Ranger pickup truck spied in India-img_20191016_222612.jpg

Pic: Ford Ranger pickup truck spied in India-img_20191016_222527.jpg
Mynameis is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 15:17   #4
BHPian

I've seen a few Rangers at the US Consulate in Hyderabad. It doesn't have a whole lot of presence like the F-150.
evoker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 16:58   #5
BHPian

Doesn't have a lot of presence?

I think Rangers are the best looking midsize pickups!

And the Tacoma coming in a close second.
Attached Thumbnails
Pic: Ford Ranger pickup truck spied in India-2019fordrangerraptorimtest.jpg  

Pic: Ford Ranger pickup truck spied in India-2019_ford_ranger_raptor_172_1280x960.jpg  

suneel is offline   (34) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 17:28   #6
BHPian

Ford has been considering Ranger for a very long time but kept everything on hold cause of the recession and keeping their focus on the current lineup. Now that its time, Ford will be launching Few of their Halo product in which one of them is the Ranger Rapto with 2.0 twin turbo Deisel Engine.

Last edited by Sheel : 23rd August 2020 at 06:55. Reason: Punctuation space.
ksgehlot is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 18:34   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgehlot View Post
Ford will be launching Few of their Halo product in which one of them is the Ranger Rapto with 2.0 twin turbo Deisel Engine.
Considering that Isuzu V-Cross has not failed, it makes sense for Ford to launch Ranger Raptor here it has potential to be a decent seller. However if that twin turbo is going to come here than it better be available with Endeavour also.
darkLightning is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 19:42   #8
BHPian

I have seen the Ford Ranger pick-up truck a couple of times in Hyderabad. I just assumed they belong to the US Consulate General Hyderabad, as I have also seen the Cadillac Escalade several times, both of them a year ago.

Neo
neo_narender is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2020, 19:53   #9
BHPian

Are we sure it's not Bhutan or Nepal bound vehicle? Any idea where this picture was taken?
sbanerjee is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 00:40   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

With the next gen Ranger coming in an year or two, wonder how Ford's strategy is.
Waiting for the Hilux to be launched and see the market response?
Or launch the full optioned, maybe even the Raptor version as a halo model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowflyer23 View Post
Do you think Ford will be launching a product like the Ford Edge or similar sized crossover? We want to upgrade from our 7 year old EcoSport tdci but ....
In fact there will be two models.
The Ford version of the next gen Mahindra XUV500. Platform and engine will be shared, but the tophat and suspension tuning will be of Ford's.

The next model details is hazy. Supposed to be either the Ecosport successor to be launched in Brazil. Or an India specific model based on Ford's B platform. Whether it will replace Ecosport or be a Creta rival is unknown.
The sure thing is it will be a Ford product, but with Mahindra engines.
In fact, the first thing to come out of the JV would be the Ecosport getting the 1.2 mStallion Mahindra engine in the near future.
DicKy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 00:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneel View Post
To be honest the F150 is a full size bigger. So of course it has a much better road presence. Which is what a few people are saying. But since we're unlikely to get a full sized pickup anytime soon, this comparison is kind of irrelevant.

So I agree with you, dimension wise and all - the Ranger compares just fine with the DMax & Hilux. I'd actually pick it over them, especially if the Baja Raptor version is offered, if I were in the market for one.

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 23rd August 2020 at 00:47.
digitalnirvana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 11:02   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pic: Ford Ranger pickup truck spied in India

Would be quite interesting to see how this pans out. Recently, we had the Hilux thread (4 pages of discussion!!) and now this. These CKDs would be zero-effort brand-enhancing exercises, and deliver fat profits too. I think it is worth a try.

To make things sustainable, Toyota & Ford must also "educate" the market on the pros & cons of pickup trucks. That might help them expand sales within the business & government sectors. Enthusiasts will be good customers, but they won't form a big market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoker View Post
I've seen a few Rangers at the US Consulate in Hyderabad. It doesn't have a whole lot of presence like the F-150.
Is it this latest-gen Ranger of the opening pic? Because this one looks quite deadly. Yes, its "midsize" by USA standards, but still big (e.g. length = ~5300 mm which is a lot more than the Fortuner!).
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 14:39   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Is it this latest-gen Ranger of the opening pic? Because this one looks quite deadly. Yes, its "midsize" by USA standards, but still big (e.g. length = ~5300 mm which is a lot more than the Fortuner!).
If you're talking about the images in the below quoted post, then those are of the "Raptor" variant, which has upgraded engine, suspension with wider track and travel, bigger tires and a lot of other things.
Yes, the standard Ranger looks meek compared to the Raptor.

Ranger might be mid-size on truck scale, but it has footprint bigger than a full-size SUV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneel View Post
I think Rangers are the best looking midsize pickups!
And the Tacoma coming in a close second.
black_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 15:39   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbanerjee View Post
Are we sure it's not Bhutan or Nepal bound vehicle? Any idea where this picture was taken?
There are several pickups in Nepal and they are quite popular here, mostly used by government officials and the INGOs. In case of government pickup and the ones used by police theres a bench in the loading area where guards and security sit back to back facing towards either the right or left side.

I've been on Ford Ranger several times with 3.2 litre engine under supervision of one of my relatives who worked for an INGO. I did not get to drive as the driver had strict instructions not to let anyone on the driver's seat and also they couod be remotely located. On highways, after rainfall, the causeways used to be flooded with long lines of regular cars on each side but Ranger with its 4x 4 made it's own way. The driver told me that it handled well. NVH are superb and you can faintly hear the growl of engine at higher RPMs which is sweet. Well, it consumes a lot diesel.

The one in the pic may be destined to Nepal. I've seen several Hiluxes, Hiaces and others being driven or carried on a truck to the towns bordering Nepal while traveling from babadham and Muzaffarpur to Nepal.
amitjha086 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2020, 15:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoker View Post
Totally different pickup segments. Ranger is mid size, F150 is full size pickup of the 1500GWR category as per the pickup segments are in the US. The larger segments being 2500,3500,4500 and so on.
haldar_siliguri is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks