Team-BHP - Maruti Udyog to make Grand Vitara in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Maruti Udyog to make Grand Vitara in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/22642-maruti-udyog-make-grand-vitara-india.html)

Maruti is already the leader in the small car segment in India. However, they are now planning to have a bigger share of the premium car segment with the launch of the Baleno replacement which would be based on the SX4.
The company is also likely to launch an updated Grand Vitara model which would be manufactured in their Indian factory.
Maruti currently import the SUV as completely built units. They are likely to sell the SX4 sedan for Rs 7-8 lakh and might launch this car in the first half of May in three variants.
This car when launched would take on Honda City, Hyundai Verna, Ford Fiesta, Chevrolet Aveo and others. A company representative said in a statement: “The Company wants to change its image with the SX4 launch and will feature it as a cleanup market car. With the development, Suzuki will also attempt to move from being a compact car giant to a complete carmaker across different segments.”
Huzifa Suratwala, research analyst, Emkay Share and Stock added his views: “Despite being the largest car company, Maruti has dated models such as Esteem and Baleno. The new models will strengthen its position and help it take advantages of the high growth in the premium car segment.”

Maruti Udyog to make Grand Vitara in India

This is good news, hopefully the price will come down as well!

We have to be careful here before making any assessment. Any new Maruti launches are too much hyped. Just because they have a good past record, even a not so good product is hyped as the best and they do overbookings/show waitings in order to control the market
Swift was also hyped earlier and now I hear the owners cribbing about space & fuel economy of vehicle.

-POGU

Quote:

Originally Posted by pogusingh (Post 400298)
now I hear the owners cribbing .... fuel economy of vehicle.

I think many would not agree with you on this..

Dunno about feul economy, however space is certainly an issue. There are umpteen number of threads in team-bhp itself with numerous remarks on how the space is cramped, esp in the rear.

regards

Coming back to the point, they'll need to realistically price the Vitara for it to sell. The other competent soft-roader - the Subaru Forester, also failed primarily for this. And MUL neednt have an unreal status image of their Vitara also.

How come the Vitara is going to be made here? Surely, the local market is not big enough to justify the localisation. Or will India be an export hub for the Vitara too?

That said, there is seriously a need / empty segment for a good SUV. From what Steeroid reports, the new Vitara is better than even the much-awaited Toyota Fortuner. However, except for Honda, I dont see anyone being able to sell a petrol soft-roader and do hope MUL is planning a competent diesel. A related linky : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rfect-suv.html

Quote:

The other competent soft-roader - the Subaru Forester, also failed primarily for this.
And yet another ; The CR-V sells more than Honda can manage.

The new article says likely to launch. I would take that with buckets of salt. The media was so very certain about Fortuner in 2005 and it still nowhere in the horizon. The whole article is about Baleno with a line about Grand Vitara thrown in; to grab attention I guess.

I would be thrilled if Grand Vitara is made in India however I don't believe its gonna happen anytime soon. It doesn't fit with Maruti's high volume strategy India and like GTO said Maruti needs to get a diesel for that beast. I don't know where they are going to find one.

The India-made Grand Vitara is slated to hit the market in July or August. Manufacturing in India will enable the company to bring its price down from the current Rs 1.9 million to Rs 1.1-1.2 million and position it against the likes of Ford`s Endeavor.

Story : News Centre@myiris.com India's Most Comprehensive Financial Destination

Quote:

Originally Posted by hondadude (Post 400628)

I would be thrilled if Grand Vitara is made in India however I don't believe its gonna happen anytime soon. It doesn't fit with Maruti's high volume strategy India and like GTO said Maruti needs to get a diesel for that beast. I don't know where they are going to find one.

They already have a diesel for that beast, the JTD 2.0 which is to be manufactured at the new Manesar plant (Suzuki's sole diesel engine plant in the world) mainly for export to Europe.

Check out this earlier thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ti-suzuki.html

Assuming that Suzuki produces the Vitara in India, I cannot see why this softroader should not do well here. It would be cheaper, and yes, they do need to source one of those JTDs from the Fiat stable.

Its a looker and way better to drive than its predecessor. Maybe Suzuki senses that they need to undercut the CRV and one option is to make the Vitara in India - for India and also for export.

Hmmm... 11 to 12 lakhs for a Grand Vitara with 2.0 JTD. Now, that's worth waiting for and worth standing in line to buy one :)

Maruti may think this is a good move...but like the Sonata i dont think may people are really interested..sales may go up...but hardly enuf to hamper the competition...

by the way,

the vitara does not feature at all in the MUL website now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hell_rider (Post 400922)
by the way,

the vitara does not feature at all in the MUL website now.

Hey, you are absolutely correct & I wonder why - it used to be there when I last checked some months ago!