Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2012, 11:05   #16
BHPian

Re: BMW 1 series

BMW Confirms 1 series for India!

'Yesterday at the launch of the BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe, Mr. Philipp von Sahr, President, BMW Group India, confirmed that he will bring the new BMW 1 Series in India by the end of 2013. More interestingly, he plans to locally assemble the 1 Series to make sure that the little hatchback is very competitive in the market'

Read more: http://indianautosblog.com/2012/11/b...-india-in-2013

Last edited by vinair : 9th November 2012 at 11:09.
Old 9th November 2012, 11:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

The news do say that the 1 Series will be assembled and sold in India. That's good news! A piece of information, but one that is still not truly confirmed/decided is that BMW India says that the price of the 1 Series will be on the upper side - that is to say they're interested in volumes but not by cutting prices. Let's see where they're going with that. If they price it above the X1 the 1 Series will most likely not sell, if they price it below it'll eat away the X1's market share - specially for people who would like to own a small branded german-luxo!
Old 9th November 2012, 11:30   #18
BHPian

Good times for BHPians ahead! Both A-Class and 1-series are coming to India. Unfortunately both are >4 M so no excise break

5 years down the line they should be in the second hand market for <10 Lacs.

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/322...next-year.aspx
Old 9th November 2012, 14:26   #19
BHPian

Hmm........Their strategy to launch 1-Series as a competitor to A-Class in India is receiving many positives but only from us enthusiasts. I still don't understand why they are venturing into small car business in India! How much volumes could they gain by launching hatches with a sticker price of >20 lakh? If they succeed in bringing people out of the notion of small car is small and big one is big and small should cost small!, then I think Indian automotive scene is going to receive a bang by other hatches such as Focus, Sonic and much more.

Has Indian market become this interesting?

Keep revvin'
S@ndy
Old 9th November 2012, 20:49   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post
Hmm........Their strategy to launch 1-Series as a competitor to A-Class in India is receiving many positives but only from us enthusiasts. I still don't understand why they are venturing into small car business in India! How much volumes could they gain by launching hatches with a sticker price of >20 lakh? If they succeed in bringing people out of the notion of small car is small and big one is big and small should cost small!, then I think Indian automotive scene is going to receive a bang by other hatches such as Focus, Sonic and much more.
It’s good to have a complete portfolio of the brand available for the buyers to choose from. I don’t think the 1 will go in as a volume model. It’s still good if the car can manage similar numbers as of the X1 or the 3.

And in actual fact, the 1 is not really that small. Its wider, and have more wheelbase than some of the sedans like Nissan Sunny or Honda City.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy
Has Indian market become this interesting?
I think so
Old 9th November 2012, 21:17   #21
BHPian

Would it be the current RWD 1 series or the next gen FWD 1 series? I hope it is the RWD version. BMW's USP had always been the driving experience which BMW itself had attributed to RWD layout in the past. So I am wondering why would anyone buy a FWD BMW or a Merc over a Audi as Audi has been building cars in FWD for a long time. One could even save a lot of money by buying a VW!
Old 10th November 2012, 00:34   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@ndy View Post
Hmm........Their strategy to launch 1-Series as a competitor to A-Class in India is receiving many positives but only from us enthusiasts.
If you travel mostly with just the front seats occupied, the 1 series is an ok car for you. The A-class may even be bigger than the 1 series. The 1 is smaller than the previous generation 3 series, just to present an idea of the size. I would think it is no bigger than a Swift/Polo in terms of leg room. That is rather compact!
Old 10th November 2012, 00:54   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by altius
Would it be the current RWD 1 series or the next gen FWD 1 series? I hope it is the RWD version. BMW's USP had always been the driving experience which BMW itself had attributed to RWD layout in the past.
It should be the current gen RWD 1 series. The F20 is now only into the 2nd year of existence, still quite fresh, especially for a BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil
If you travel mostly with just the front seats occupied, the 1 series is an ok car for you. The A-class may even be bigger than the 1 series. The 1 is smaller than the previous generation 3 series, just to present an idea of the size. I would think it is no bigger than a Swift/Polo in terms of leg room. That is rather compact!
It's a small car, but not as small as a Swift or Polo. The interior space is around the range of a VW Golf. The rear seat is pretty good for two.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed