Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2020, 23:47   #16
BHPian

Re: VW launches top-spec variants of Polo & Vento with 6-speed AT

It's always funny when Volkswagen updates their Polo GT page on their website.

They add in bits and pieces and don't try to correct the wrong information.

All these days Polo GT page carried the Interior pictures with Manual Gear lever.

Today they did the cleanup and added a picture of Automatic Gear lever.
Guess what? that is the picture of DSG gear lever, even the file name of picture is Polo-GT-DSG

VW launches top-spec variants of Polo & Vento with 6-speed AT-pologtdsg.jpg

Source

Last edited by RaceHorse : 3rd September 2020 at 23:48.
RaceHorse is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 03:46   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

That's weird! Or to use a better word, unprofessional.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 05:31   #18
BHPian

At this price, Its tough to choose between Polo tsi AT and Venue DCT lower model. Let me add Nexon/ Xuv300 diesel AMTs too (lower models). VW should realise we are in 2020, not 2013 ( year GT Tsi was launched).

All these cars might ask a lac or two more than this Polo AT, but are a lot more sensible buy. Are fun to drive, safe and dynamically good enough. And a whole lot more space than this baby VW. And yes, sunroof too!
My choice would be Nexon Diesel XMA, if shopping under 12 lacs.

Yes, an AMT is polar opposite to DCT/TC, but I had fun driving them due to the torquey engines. I did not like the AMT behavior in petrol Nexon, but was ok in Diesel AMT. The torquey diesel punch somewhat made AMT shift less, and hence not enough jerks.
Old 4th September 2020, 09:41   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRC View Post
Now we are left with puny 1 litre 3 pot cars in low end and some gas guzzlers at the top (Are they still selling Passat?)
Hey buddy, IMO that is harsh. The new 1.0L TSi is gem of an engine, has better top end performance in stock and is much more tuner friendly. That puny 1 litre 3 pot engine can deliver ~140hp with just stage 1 remap mods.
Also, the introduction of a manual is welcome. I know 2 guys who could afford the TSi with DSG but had to go for the 1.2 petrol to avoid the DQ200 for its reliability vows, and some just prefer a manual. And for the people who need the comfort of an automatic (office commutes in our metros), a TC could be a better choice as it's the comfort of an automatic with no reliability issues.
But yes, I totally get the point of all the 1.2 TSi owners, the new TSi automatic won't match the fun your cars are, and you guys would have a hard time whenever in the future you want to replace your old aging cars, and that's the gripe you all have more than anything else. I understand this as an owner of a rare breed myself, the global Fiesta. And when I bought my car, the TSi was my second choice for obvious reasons, that engine + gearbox combo was just too good.
Old 4th September 2020, 12:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceHorse View Post
Today they did the cleanup and added a picture of Automatic Gear lever.
Guess what? that is the picture of DSG gear lever, even the file name of picture is Polo-GT-DSG
Seems like VW saw this post and removed the picture of DSG gear lever from the GT page.

I spoke to VW sales person yesterday, the on-road price difference between Polo HL+ manual and GT TSI AT is around 2.2Lakhs in Hyderabad.

That is too much money for just AT gearbox plus GT stickering.
RaceHorse is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 13:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Polo GT TSI 6-Speed Automatic Tested

Source - Evo Magazine India

RM Motorsports is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 14:46   #22
BHPian

The pricing of the GT TSI with TC gearbox is a bummer. The same price as 1.2 TSI with DSG? VW, come on! It's a decade old car, you might as well make the enthusiasts happy by making it more affordable. I hope Ford comes out with TC in the Figo soon. That ought to be priced more sensibly.
Old 4th September 2020, 16:06   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Polo GT TSI 6-Speed Automatic Tested
Source - Evo Magazine India
Thanks for sharing this. Looks like the torque converter is decently tuned and the 1 second extra it takes to reach 100kph is mostly thanks to the poor launch.

But considering the performance, I think the manual should have been named GT rather than the automatic because we are so used to Polo GT being the faster Polo which doesn't seem to be the case now.

Another notable omission is the driver armrest(which can be installed later), which in turn means that there is no rear AC vent(which cannot be installed later) which makes it one less feature compared to the highline plus manual variant. Asking 2.2L(on road difference) for a torque converter with the car missing an important feature doesn't look like an ideal pricing.

Well atleast I thought the Torque converter exercise was to save some money compared to the DSG and price the car lower, but now it costs as much as a DSG. Give us the DSG back then! Atleast we would have a faster car.
Xaos636 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 16:30   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos636 View Post
Well atleast I thought the Torque converter exercise was to save some money compared to the DSG and price the car lower, but now it costs as much as a DSG. Give us the DSG back then! Atleast we would have a faster car.
I could be wrong but VW started using dry clutch DSG to have a cheaper transmission with better fuel economy. Going back to TC this time in India is more to do with reliability concerns of Indian customers and not necessarily to offer a cheaper AT. I think the price of MT < AMT < dry DSG < wet DSG < TC.

How come I don't see an enthusiastic acceptance of TSI+MT - I would imagine this would be a fantastic choice for those who do not have to commute in crawling traffic?

Last edited by androdev : 4th September 2020 at 16:32.
androdev is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 17:58   #25
BHPian

Asking 2 lakh is too much to be honest. A TC gearbox, a rear spoiler, traction control and the badging, it really doesn't justify the difference especially when the manual is so well priced and since this car is for the enthusiasts, I believe one will pick the manual over the TC any day.
I even noticed feature deletion compared to the HL+! The driver armrest is gone. Did VW think that since there won't be any gearshifts, there isn't a need of the same?
The seats too are the same as the HL+ and could have come with a sportier appearance with red stitching! Heck, at this price point, they could have gone for projectors with DRLs. Is this asking too much for a car above 11 lakh OTR? I am not sure this will help the sales charts much.

Last edited by SansGT : 4th September 2020 at 17:59.
Old 4th September 2020, 18:44   #26
BHPian

When Rapid AT which will use the same gearbox as Polo, is expected to be priced just 1Lakh above the equivalent manual variant,
2Lakhs difference for Polo with same gearbox doesn't make sense.

More over the very useful front arm rest and rear AC blowers are missing from GT variant.
In all senses this is absurd pricing decision by Volkswagen.

And also when there is already news of a lower variant with AT box going to be launched in future, purchasing GT doesn't make any sense.
RaceHorse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 23:41   #27
Senior - BHPian

So the Highline plus AT is axed? The GT badges cannot cost a lakh unless they are made of white gold or platinum.
PrideRed is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2020, 01:16   #28
Senior - BHPian

Is this the only VW model sold anywhere in the world with a TC gearbox? I know certain high performance VAG cars have TC gearboxes (RS Audis for example) but was under the impression pretty much every VW automatic is a DSG
Old 5th September 2020, 16:30   #29
BHPian

When every other company does a technology upgrade, I see VW taking the downhill path.
At this rate, by the time when my son becomes old enough to drive, they will come up with a GT TSI having 600cc engine running on AMT transmission and price it above the previous version. Seriously, what do VW strategists smoke ?
At least as a they could have reduced the prices when they replaced DSG with TC box.
Old 5th September 2020, 18:47   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinuak View Post
When every other company does a technology upgrade, I see VW taking the downhill path.
At this rate, by the time when my son becomes old enough to drive, they will come up with a GT TSI having 600cc engine running on AMT transmission and price it above the previous version. Seriously, what do VW strategists smoke ?
And what if a 600cc engine, at that time, produces 100-plus hp? You are using the 1.2 engine as today's yardstick: a mere 1.2 litres used to be considered puny. Real cars used to start at 2.0 litres. Stuff develops and changes.
Quote:
At least as a they could have reduced the prices when they replaced DSG with TC box.
Here. though, you might well have a point. And the general distinction of what merits the GT badge is all blurred.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks