Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2020, 14:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

VW launches top-spec variants of Polo & Vento with 6-speed AT

Volkswagen has launched automatic variants of the Polo and Vento. The Polo GT TSI is priced at Rs. 9.67 lakh, while the Vento Highline Plus AT costs Rs. 12.99 lakh (ex-showroom). These are introductory prices. Deliveries will begin from September 15, 2020.

VW launches top-spec variants of Polo & Vento with 6-speed AT-vento2.jpg

Both the Polo and Vento are powered by a BS6-compliant 1.0-litre, 3-cylinder, turbocharged petrol engine that produces 108 BHP and 175 Nm of torque. The engine is mated to a 6-speed torque converter automatic gearbox.

VW launches top-spec variants of Polo & Vento with 6-speed AT-polo.jpg

The Polo AT is said to offer a fuel economy of 16.47 km/l, while the Vento offers 16.35 km/l. VW no longer offers the 7-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox on these cars.

VW launches top-spec variants of Polo & Vento with 6-speed AT-vento1.jpg

The Polo GT TSI comes equipped with dual airbags, black OVRM caps, GTI inspired seats and black rear spoiler, while the Vento gets four airbags and LED headlamps.

Volkswagen had announced automatic variants of the Polo and Vento when the BS6 versions were introduced earlier this year.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 2nd September 2020 at 14:36.
TusharK is online now   (34) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 15:55   #2
BHPian

Re: VW launches top-spec variants of Polo & Vento with 6-speed AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

Both the Polo and Vento are powered by a BS6-compliant 1.0-litre, 3-cylinder, turbocharged petrol engine that produces 108 BHP and 175 Nm of torque. The engine is mated to a 6-speed torque converter automatic gearbox.

The Polo AT is said to offer a fuel economy of 16.47 km/l, while the Vento offers 16.35 km/l. VW no longer offers the 7-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox on these cars.

The Polo GT TSI comes equipped with dual airbags, black OVRM caps, GTI inspired seats and black rear spoiler, while the Vento gets four airbags and LED headlamps.

So, the difference between Polo AT and Polo GT is only visual changes?

Last edited by GTO : 3rd September 2020 at 06:46. Reason: typo
sangam_mm93 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 16:37   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangam_mm93 View Post
So, the difference between Polo AT and Polo GT is only visual changes?
Proud owners of the 1.2 TSI can hold onto their pocket rockets for a long time and still find enthusiastic takers. I am disliking all of VW's BS VI initiatives save for the T-Roc CBU.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd September 2020 at 06:46. Reason: quoted post edited
Kingston is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 17:07   #4
BHPian

So, VW took away the DSG, ESP, Hill hold and added a Torque converter auto in the Polo GT and have decided to increase the price by 15k for all this?
The website is still not updated with the Polo AT or GT TSI brochures!
Wow!
7000plusrpm is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 18:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangam_mm93 View Post
So, the difference between Polo AT and Polo GT will only visual changes?
Will be only*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
Proud owners of the 1.2 TSI can hold onto their pocket rockets for a long time and still find enthusiastic takers. I am disliking all of VW's BS VI initiatives save for the T-Roc CBU.
True, and new one is still mod friendly. BSVI has made all manufacturers detune their engines except these folks. They downsized but made faster cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
So, VW took away the DSG, ESP, Hill hold and added a Torque converter auto in the Polo GT and have decided to increase the price by 15k for all this?
The website is still not updated with the Polo AT or GT TSI brochures!
Wow!
Apart from is it's a little faster than the old GT I don't see anything improved.

I would say the only long term benefit would be the reliability factor over DSGs. And only time will tell how much better.

Last edited by sangam_mm93 : 2nd September 2020 at 18:11.
sangam_mm93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 19:04   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

So it is still pretty expensive even with the new TC gearbox. Guess it will be close to 16L OTR in places like Bangalore. That is almost a 35-40% hike over the price I got my Vento 1.2 TSI DSG back in 2013.

Should hold on closely to my Vento I guess.
Rajeevraj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2020, 20:19   #7
BHPian

At this rate, VW should just offer an option where people buy a used Polo and bring it to the workshop so that they can shoehorn the 1 litre engine and call it a day. Easily charge 2 lakhs+ for them. No need to waste money and time actually building the polo and vento frames. For the customer, it will be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a "new" Polo/Vento.
nikhilthegunner is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 01:54   #8
BHPian

As a Polo 1.2 GT TSI Owner and having driven the 1.0 TSI, all I have to say are these three things.
  • Yes the 1.0 TSI feels a bit faster. BUT NO its not as fun as the 1.2 GT TSI. There is a different sense of Euphoria while putting the DSG in manual mode and shifting through the gears at lightning speed. The smoothness the DSG offers is at altogether a different level, and the Extra Cylinder of the 1.2 TSI over the 1.0 TSI makes revving hard even smoother. The additional 7th gear of the DSG makes Highway cruising at 3 digits a breeze all day every day! One has to try both back to back to find out.
  • The TSI motor NEEDS the DSG to be called a GT PERIOD. We all need to remember that the DSG not only swaps cogs faster but also provides uninterrupted power delivery. At the same time, a Torque convertor loses that power for a brief second when shifting through the gears. (See Video Below)
  • The 4 cylinders on 1.2 TSI sounds heavenly when revved compared to the clatter screaming of the 3 Cylinder 1.0 TSI. The latter is nowhere as Refined. An enthusiastic car should sound like one or at least try to.
In simple terms, would you have an Octavia VRS 230 with a DSG or a VRS 245 with a Torque converter? Sure the 245 makes more horses, but it's going to be no were as fun! When one buys a sporty version of a car, their ulterior motive is not just to have more power, but to have MORE FUN!

Seriously, I'm going to hold on to my car, considering its the last hatchback of its kind with a Lethal Combo of a Supreme engine and equally competent gearbox, it's going to hold on to its resale value really well, despite it not being Japanese or Korean haha

Last edited by Starfire : 3rd September 2020 at 02:19.
Starfire is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 10:43   #9
DRC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
Absolutely! I got all the more reasons to hold on to my 1.6TDI Vento and 1.2 GT TSI. Gems in my garage.
With BSVI, most of the popular VW cars are gone. Their DSGs, their torqy diesels. Now we are left with puny 1 litre 3 pot cars in low end and some gas guzzlers at the top (Are they still selling Passat?)
DRC is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 14:55   #10

As a Polo 1.0 TSI owner, who was on the fence between the AT trim and Manual Highline Plus, I feel very positive about my decision to go ahead with the stick shift .

With the Manual Highline Plus retailing for Rs. 7.89 lakh, the GT TSI at Rs. 9.67 lakh looks like a lot of premium for an AT slush-box. The difference between their OTR prices would be close to almost Rs. 2Lakhs!

For any enthusiast, the regular Highline Plus looks like an absolute steal now and for people strictly seeking the AT box, the used car market is full of low mileage DSG equipped GT TSIs.

I personally feel that the new GT TSI at this price point would only appeal to urban non enthusiastic buyers, who don't mind spending the premium and want the convenience and reliability of an AT slush-box.
Old 3rd September 2020, 15:55   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhilthegunner View Post
At this rate, VW should just offer an option where people buy a used Polo and bring it to the workshop so that they can shoehorn the 1 litre engine and call it a day. Easily charge 2 lakhs+ for them. No need to waste money and time actually building the polo and vento frames. For the customer, it will be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying a "new" Polo/Vento.
I think RTO will not allow it. Even if it does then the new engine number has to be updated on the RC which is easier said than done.
Old 3rd September 2020, 17:14   #12
BHPian

The 1.2 TSI DSG was in a league of its own....the 1.0 three pot pales woefully in comparision.
Old 3rd September 2020, 17:43   #13
BHPian

Couple of my friends went for GT TSI only because of the fun factor DSG provided. And I am sure they were not a rare breed. With this move, VW has surely and clearly spelled how to kill an enthusiasts' market.
When I had initially heard of this plan of VW's, I had assumed this was a move to manage costs and provide cheaper cars to the market. Clearly I was wrong!!
Old 3rd September 2020, 18:42   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by royalbeat View Post
Couple of my friends went for GT TSI only because of the fun factor DSG provided. And I am sure they were not a rare breed.
I fear that they numbered fewer than those who would not buy a DSG car due to perceived reliability issues. Perhaps VW did not do enough to put their minds at rest. Anyway, they were not buying: my hunch is that VW thinks they will buy this gearbox.
Quote:
With this move, VW has surely and clearly spelled how to kill an enthusiasts' market.
Don't think they wanted to sell a few to enthusiasts only. See above.

The GTi was the enthusiast-market car. It is a pity that that was a one-off and in such small numbers.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 18:59   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
The 1.2 TSI DSG was in a league of its own....the 1.0 three pot pales woefully in comparision.
Having driven both, my vote is for the 1.0 TSI. It is surely an engine where you feel the surge of raw power much more and given the engine is equally responsive in the top end, it is a winner for me. I won't comment about long term reliability though.
SansGT is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed