Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st February 2012, 08:21   #136
BHPian

Hi All -

I've a new query. I've Oct 2009 model Ritz ZXi variant. Couple of questions:
1. I'm moving from Hyd to Mum. What is criteria for Road tax & octroi payment in Mumbai? What % age is required to calculate Road tax & octroi for a 3 yr. old car in Mumbai? Is there any website which mentions this info?
2. Can I file for refund of road tax in Hyd, once I've registered it in Mumbai? What's the procedure?

Thanks
Old 16th March 2012, 19:53   #137

Driving from one state to another with just NOC

I am going to relocate from Hyderabad to Kolkata. For my car, obviously, I would take NOC from the respective RTO at Hyderabad. However, I want to drive to Kolkata.

So, during that drive, I would have the NOC from Hyderabad, but the car would not have been registered at Kolkata. Is this possible? Or would I be stopped at the state borders and barred entrance into those states (Orissa & West Bengal)?

Any light on this would be of tremendous help.

Regards,
DB
Old 29th March 2012, 17:14   #138
BHPian

Re: Moving car between states - Road tax, refund etc???

What happens when you move a more than 15 year old car from one state to another? I am specifically asking for change from Maharashtra to Karnataka. How much road tax would Karnataka charge for it?
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:17   #139
BHPian

Last week, one of my known persons was caught by RTO in Hyderabad for driving his Honda City with KA registration plates. His vehicle documents have been seized, and he has been asked to pay Rs 1.25 lakhs as lifetime AP road tax + fine @ 2% per month since the time he entered AP (he was earlier caught 6 months back and left after warning)!!
Old 2nd May 2012, 12:22   #140
BHPian

Wow ! that is shocking. was your friend using his car in Hyderabad for more than a year ?
Old 2nd May 2012, 19:58   #141
BHPian

I know that Toll Receipts/PUCs are the best bet but the Toll receipts fade over time. A valid PUC from another state will prove your vehicles stay in the "outside state" for less than six months.

However, are Petrol Bills/Parking Ticket accepted as legal proofs to prove your vehicles stay in an outside state ?
Old 2nd May 2012, 20:47   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
What happens when you move a more than 15 year old car from one state to another? I am specifically asking for change from Maharashtra to Karnataka. How much road tax would Karnataka charge for it?
Tax rate for new car : 12% of cost.
Reduced rate for 15+ years : 25%
So effective tax rate : 3% of the vehicle cost. (Cess, Green taxes extra).

Source:

Transport Department
Taxation Schedule: http://rto.kar.nic.in/Taxation%20Ame...0TO%202008.doc
Old 2nd May 2012, 21:00   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_lukose View Post
Wow ! that is shocking. was your friend using his car in Hyderabad for more than a year ?
Not an year yet, he moved to Hyderabad in October and is getting transferred back to Bangalore next month!
Old 2nd May 2012, 21:27   #144
BHPian

Then I dont think he should be taxed in the first place. If i am not wrong, the vehicle from one state can remain in another state for a maximum of 12 months.

Here, that is not the case. I do not see any reason why he should pay tax in Hyderabad. He also should be able to furnish proof that he is transferring to Bangalore next month.

Check section 47 here

http://www.morth.nic.in/index3.asp?s...kid=307&lang=1

Welcome To TRANSPORT DEPARTMENT GOVERNMENT OF ANDHRAPRADESH - INDIA
anand_lukose is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 00:36   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_lukose View Post
Then I dont think he should be taxed in the first place. If i am not wrong, the vehicle from one state can remain in another state for a maximum of 12 months.

Here, that is not the case. I do not see any reason why he should pay tax in Hyderabad. He also should be able to furnish proof that he is transferring to Bangalore next month.

Check section 47 here

http://www.morth.nic.in/index3.asp?s...kid=307&lang=1

Welcome To TRANSPORT DEPARTMENT GOVERNMENT OF ANDHRAPRADESH - INDIA
He doesn't has any proof of relocating back to Bangalore yet, and he's assured that he'll get the relevant refund whenever he moves back.
He's probably got totally caught in the net from all sides, plus he's not from Andhra and we all know what happens when some non-state resident is caught in RTO 'chakkars'.
And thanks for the info links, I'll forward the same to the concerned person so that he can show the same to the RTO guys!
Old 3rd May 2012, 07:42   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
He doesn't has any proof of relocating back to Bangalore yet, and he's assured that he'll get the relevant refund whenever he moves back.
Regarding refund, it is not easy my friend. As far as I know if you just pay the road tax in the second state(here its AP) you will not be eligible for a refund. You will be eligible for refund only when you have a AP registered vehicle--> Move to Karnataka get a KA registration and then apply for refund to AP RTO(saying you have moved back to KA). So, ask your friend to get it clarified from the AP RTO.

Even if you follow the above process, it will take ages to get the refund.

If your friend is yet to pay the road tax then the best way would be to negotiate and bring the car back to KA.
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:47   #147
Senior - BHPian

I have a HR registered car and will be relocating permanently to Bangalore in Jun / July this year. My question is does one HAVE to get a NOC to change registration to KA (and pay tax) or will an acknowledgment due receipt from HR RTO be adequate. I had seen it somewhere that it is possible but not finding the reference.
Old 3rd May 2012, 12:54   #148
BHPian

It's possible to pay the tax in KA even without the NOC & changing the registration. These guys are just interested in the road tax money, and you can retain your HR number.
One of my friends has already paid the KA tax for his HR registered Alto without NOC/re-registration.
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:07   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asethi View Post
It's possible to pay the tax in KA even without the NOC & changing the registration. These guys are just interested in the road tax money, and you can retain your HR number.
One of my friends has already paid the KA tax for his HR registered Alto without NOC/re-registration.
I need to change the registration to avoid hassles later.
and here is the ref for the postal acknowledgment being adequate instead of NOC Transport Department
under "what is the procedure for reregistration?"
Old 3rd May 2012, 13:12   #150
BANNED

Post Deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics is STRICTLY prohibited.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 7th May 2012 at 10:50.
fiestarry is offline   Received Infraction

Most Viewed