Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2013, 12:21   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Moving car between states - Road tax, refund etc???

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I recently moved to hyderabad, So if i pay tax of hyderabad and register the vehicle for AP it will cost me 6% of Cost of vehicle, that is Rs 57,000/- . So when i apply for refund in Karnataka will i get back Rs 57,000/- from karnataka RTO? I had paid road tax of Rs 1,38,000/- and vehicle is now 3 years old.
Is it a car or a bike? For 2-wheelers which are more than 3 years old but less than 4 years, it would be 6% but if it is a car the rate is 10% or 12% depending on whether the vehicle cost is less than 10 lakhs or not.

Link: http://www.aptransport.org/html/tax_...motor-cabs.htm
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2013, 12:30   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Is it a car or a bike? For 2-wheelers which are more than 3 years old but less than 4 years, it would be 6% but if it is a car the rate is 10% or 12% depending on whether the vehicle cost is less than 10 lakhs or not.

Link: http://www.aptransport.org/html/tax_...motor-cabs.htm
Oh i was looking at two-wheeler, so it will be 10% or 95,000/-. I believe tax is on ex-showroom price of the car.
Old 20th February 2013, 12:38   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Oh i was looking at two-wheeler, so it will be 10% or 95,000/-. I believe tax is on ex-showroom price of the car.
Yes, tax is on the ex-showroom price at the time of purchase. If you have the original invoice for your car, you can use that prove the price. If not, the RTO folks have a price list that they periodically update and we'll have to base the calculation on that price. In your case, since you are close to the 10L mark, if the current price of your model goes above 10L, you might get into the 12% bracket if you don't have the invoice with you.
Old 22nd February 2013, 18:01   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
The rule clearly states the below points.
1. You have to pay road tax if you are in AP for more than 1 month.
2. You have to change your registration if you are in AP for more than 1 year.

So it is unlikely that you might find a rule that contradicts the above rules.
Just curious to know. Can you tell me the rule number or its details or links to them so that i can read ? I have spent hours searching online but was not able to find it other than the central rules.
Old 23rd February 2013, 11:39   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_lukose View Post
Just curious to know. Can you tell me the rule number or its details or links to them so that i can read ? I have spent hours searching online but was not able to find it other than the central rules.
Check Rule 54 of Central Motor Vehicles Rules, 1989. It covers the assignment of new registration mark for vehicles and mentions the registration mark to be assigned if the vehicle would be in the state for a period more than twelve months.

Road tax would be part of the respective state motor vehicles act or subsequent amendment via GO/ordinances, which may or may not be available online in full. You might be able to get a copy of it from RTO offices I guess.

EDIT: In the case of AP, www.aptransport.org has most of the relevant sections available in the site but the parts of the site seems to be under maintenance and some of the links are no longer working.

Last edited by zenren : 23rd February 2013 at 11:43.
Old 24th February 2013, 21:17   #186
BHPian

Thank you for the rule number ! and regarding the road tax, I was looking for the road tax part and specifically to AP. as you mentioned the AP transport site does not have much details currently.
Old 24th February 2013, 22:09   #187
Senior - BHPian

I understand that different states may have slightly different rules regarding road tax. However when I moved to Bangalore for about a year and few months, I didnt re register my Maharastra registered car. I could easily run with a Mh03 numberplate for a year and when I crossed a year, I drove across to Maharashtra border, got toll and fuel reciepts and continued driving in Bangalore for a few months more...
Old 5th March 2013, 14:06   #188
BHPian

Hi & sincerest thanks for sharing heaps of information on this thread.
Am in a bit of dilemma & request you for help.
My daughter has got her first job & will be moving to Hyderabad soon.
I have a well maintained Santro here in Kolkata, bought new in Sep 2002 & road tax is paid upto Sep 2014.
I am thinking of driving it down to Hyderabad, once my daughter settles down there a bit & giving it to her.
My queries are:-
1. Should I let the ownership continue in my name or transfer in her name?
2. If latter, can I show it as a sale for one rupee?
3. How much road tax will she have to pay in Hyderabad? I have the original invoice. It says ex-showroom price 3,85,566. With road tax & insurance 3,93,467.
4. What documents will Hyderabad RTO want & how long will they take to issue local tax token?
5. Is she likely to be stopped by the police before & after payment of road tax because of West Bengal number plates?
6. Is buying a new Nano or used other car in Hyderabad a better option?
Many thanks in advance for your replies.
Old 5th March 2013, 19:26   #189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nura View Post
Hi & sincerest thanks for sharing heaps of information on this thread.
Am in a bit of dilemma & request you for help.
My daughter has got her first job & will be moving to Hyderabad soon.
I have a well maintained Santro here in Kolkata, bought new in Sep 2002 & road tax is paid upto Sep 2014.
I am thinking of driving it down to Hyderabad, once my daughter settles down there a bit & giving it to her.
My queries are:-
1. Should I let the ownership continue in my name or transfer in her name?
It is optional and not necessary as long as you give an authorization or Power of Attorney so that your daughter can operate on your behalf. Might not be needed during normal occasions but in case of any insurance claims etc, it would help her take the decisions or give authorization rather than having you go down to Hyderabad.
Quote:
2. If latter, can I show it as a sale for one rupee?
Ownership transfer can be done even without sale I think, especially from father to son/daughter. You can check in Kolkata RTO regarding the process in WB.
Quote:
3. How much road tax will she have to pay in Hyderabad? I have the original invoice. It says ex-showroom price 3,85,566. With road tax & insurance 3,93,467.
Around 25k. (Link)
Quote:
4. What documents will Hyderabad RTO want & how long will they take to issue local tax token?
copies of RC, insurance, invoice and draft in favour of RTA. Don't remember if they had asked for rental agreement copy as address proof. It took me 2-3 hours for the whole process including getting the receipt when I went to pay the tax for my Zen.
Quote:
5. Is she likely to be stopped by the police before & after payment of road tax because of West Bengal number plates?
Yes, she would be stopped frequently but they will let go once they see the tax receipt. AP number plates do help save that 5-10 minutes during checking when you are already late for a meeting.
Quote:
6. Is buying a new Nano or used other car in Hyderabad a better option?
Depends mainly on how much of a petrolhead your daughter is and how well maintained your Santro is. 10+ year old car could have its own share of niggles unlike a less than 5 year old car that just needs to visit the service station for regular servicing alone. Get the car checked for any potential repairs that could come up in the next 1 year or so and take a call based on that.
Old 5th March 2013, 19:48   #190
shimshumara

Some tips from my personal experience.

1. I moved from BLR to HYD with my KA plate, did not change Regn / nor paid the Road Tax for 1 year. Again I moved from HYD to CHN, stayed there for a year, same followed. But when I came back to HYD after 2 years, I was caught by RTA and had to pay up the Road Tax close to 20K, which was picked up by my company as part of relocation expenses.

This time I had both KA & AP tax paid up and it helped me sell this car later on to few specific dealers who actually look for such cars. But you need to forget about getting the tax amount reimbursed and charge it to the buyer/dealer.

Places like South MH / Belgaum, South MH / Goa, West AP / Gulbarga, BLR and Hosur,
BLR and South West Andhra these places are real hot for such multi state tax paid cars.

2. When you are relocating to your destination city which is out of state, based on your pay grade you are normally given a relocation allowance. Try talking to the hiring manager when the Salary/ perks discussions come up. This works on both cases, new job with a new company or a new role in a different city with the same company. But it does not work out if this transfer is on your personal request.

Bottom line, pay up the Road Tax if your stay in the destination is more than 6 months.

3. The other choice is between changing the regn nos v/s keeping the old ones.
If you pay the Life time Road Tax at the destination, you actually do not need to change the plates. You could use the car in both the states for the life time of the car.

If you are originally from BLR and moving back to BLR with your AP registered car, then you might want to go for change of regn. In this case you need to get an NOC from the origin RTO.

Many of my friends did a blunder here by taking NOC and not using it even after 3-4 months where it gets expired. The meaning of NOC is that your car will not be used in the origin state hence forth and you are claiming the tax back on pro rata basis and that you do not have any cases / impounds against the regn no. It is like a divorce notice from the RTA (based on a validation certificate from near by Traffic Police Station). You would need this NOC when you go to the destination RTA for re-registration.

hope this info is useful.
  (2) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 13:36   #191
BHPian

Thanks zenren & shimshumara for your wonderful replies & great link.
I am not absolutely sure yet but will probably sell the Santro off in Kolkata & get her a used Santro with local registration in Hyderabad.
Old 6th March 2013, 13:48   #192
BHPian

In my opinion a lot of folks who keep moving across states do not think it is worthwhile to pay the tax of the destination state. Bangalore over a decade has seen a splurging rise of non KA cars; how many of them actually land up paying KA tax? How many reside more than 6 months and continue to evade tax? People prefer to bribe the cop and get away rather than pay up. Cannot always blame the system right?
sumathindra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2013, 15:08   #193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
How many reside more than 6 months and continue to evade tax? People prefer to bribe the cop and get away rather than pay up. Cannot always blame the system right?
No one is blaming the system for being punctual or strict. The only option currently is to pay life tax irrespective of whether you would be there for 1 year or 10 years and the amount is by no means small.

If you are leaving the state after say 2 years and have already paid life tax, no one would have an issue if the RTO would show the same promptness in returning the pro-rata tax for the remaining period of the life-tax validity. Blame occurs because they are only interested in collecting the road tax and are least bothered about it when it comes to refunds.

If there would be an option that allows payment of road tax every 2 years for outside state vehicles, no one would have complained.
Old 6th March 2013, 19:39   #194
BHPian

I had met with an major accident and the car(Fiat Linea 2009 Model) is total loss, I had got a salvage buyer for the car, he is looking forward to buy it as a scrap and suggested me on getting the refund from RTO, Hyderabad on the life tax.

I’ am out of Hyderabad location, would like to dispose the car. Can you please guide on the process of getting the life tax refund. Do I need to something before I sell car as scrap.

Appreciate all your help.
Old 6th March 2013, 22:33   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
I had met with an major accident and the car(Fiat Linea 2009 Model) is total loss, I had got a salvage buyer for the car, he is looking forward to buy it as a scrap and suggested me on getting the refund from RTO, Hyderabad on the life tax.

I’ am out of Hyderabad location, would like to dispose the car. Can you please guide on the process of getting the life tax refund. Do I need to something before I sell car as scrap.

Appreciate all your help.
Road tax refund can be applied only after the registration is cancelled at the RTO. Regular process would not apply in your case. Usually, the request for life tax refund can be applied once the car is registered in a different state. This means the RTO would have already issued an NOC during the process of registration transfer which verifies that there is no outstanding cases or dues against the vehicle in question.

In your case, its different since you would be cancelling the registration and declaring that the car is to be scrapped. Once registration is cancelled, I assume the RTO folks can process the refund. Cancelling the registration would need to be done to prevent misuse of your engine/chassis number even if there is no provision of road tax refund since the ownership details at RTO are unlikely to be updated by the people who buy it as scrap. I remember reading a news article recently about an RTO in Kerala issuing tax dues notice for vehicles scrapped long back because the proper process was not followed while selling it as scrap.

Check with your insurance folks if they are aware of the process to cancel the registration since they might have to do it during most cases of total loss. If they are not aware, best bet would be to check with RTO agents or officials.

Last edited by zenren : 6th March 2013 at 22:37.

Most Viewed