Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2013, 19:09   #211
BHPian

Re: Moving car between states - Road tax, refund etc???

Ok. Finally After 1 year and 7 months of frequent visits, bribery, adjusting to language problems, constant mocking from locals finally Pune RTO finally issues me a new number.

A little background, I shifted from Bangalore in April 2012 and paid the road tax for MH the very first week on arrival. Initiating the process for re-registration with the help from comments on T-bhp did help and I was clear on what and when to do. landing at RTO,language was a big concern as unlike Bangalore, people in Pune prefer the local language for communication. frequent form filling and document submission was not helping the cause and it came to a point that I decided that taking off from work is not going to help my job either. In vain I decided to take the agent route.Believe me guys, I am not a fan of this state and RTO was just the icing on the cake.I waited more than a year, daily calls for follow up, frequent visits to the office but nothing was helping. So in June 2013 I decided to file an RTI to follow up. A month later a letter arrives [in Marathi :-( ] specifying that pune RTO has no documents pertaining to my Vehicle number. This was a shocker as the file had my original Bangalore RC card. Thanks to the state life was a mess all again. I had to re-initiate the whole thing and luckily the file was found and all documents were safe. Finally the lucky day arrived and the agent texted me my new number on November 30-2013. It has been one tough ride and I would like everyone to really help me specifying what route should I follow to apply for the tax refund from Karnataka. Still awaiting the Smart card. wonder if that comes on time here in Pune.
Sleeplessdriver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2013, 12:06   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ I don't know about Maharashtra and states in South but it is possible in North Indian states. I have bought Cars from Haryana and registered in Chandigarh, like wisely i have got Delhi bought cars registered in Haryana.
Hey Anshuman,

I know its an old post, but can you please tell me if Haryana charges Entry tax?
I am planning to buy a car from Gujarat due to high discounts being offered there & get the car registered in Faridabad (Haryana).

What I feel is in Gujarat I will be paying:
Ex-showroom + temp registration charges + dealer handling charges - Discounts.

In Haryana:
I will be paying for Insurance + Haryana road tax.

Am I missing something other charges (Octroi or Entry Tax or any other difference in VAT or something) here?

Also, the warranty on cars is applicable nation wide or just with the same dealer?
Old 19th December 2013, 14:15   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post

Am I missing something other charges (Octroi or Entry Tax or any other difference in VAT or something) here?

Also, the warranty on cars is applicable nation wide or just with the same dealer?
Just inquire about VAT. Probably, in NCR zone it is possible, but for Gujrat & Haryana it would different story.

Warranty is applicable nationwide as well as service schedule. There is not compulsion to do with same dealer.
Old 19th December 2013, 18:17   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
Hey Anshuman,

I know its an old post, but can you please tell me if Haryana charges Entry tax?
I am planning to buy a car from Gujarat due to high discounts being offered there & get the car registered in Faridabad (Haryana).

What I feel is in Gujarat I will be paying:
Ex-showroom + temp registration charges + dealer handling charges - Discounts.

In Haryana:

Haryana charges difference in Excise tax, if the tax is lower in the state you bought the car from. The process is fairly simple and not time consuming.
Old 22nd December 2013, 14:38   #215
BHPian

Cochin bhp-ians, I want to bring my Indica vista (TN registered) to cochin to use it for about 6 months. The life tax for the car is already paid in Tamilnadu. The car is in my Father's name. What should I do and what are the procedures to be followed???
Old 15th January 2014, 14:46   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk_24 View Post
[*]In total i received almost 65% of the tax refunded. 35% deducted for two years of car usage in Karnataka between 2008 and 2010
Do you know what formula was used by the RTO to arrive at the 35% deduction figure ?

The RTO takes 15 yrs life time tax in Karnataka and deducting 35% for 2 years of usage appears to quite high !

If the calculation is done on a proportionate basis , the deduction should have been around 13%.( 2/15 *100 )

Last edited by sdp1975 : 15th January 2014 at 14:49.
Old 16th January 2014, 17:32   #217
BHPian

Guys and Gurus,

I am planning to do the 'Name transfer' of my vehicle to a buyer in Pune.
Pls share any kind fo experiences/ suggestions/ guidance related to this.

Vehicle is MH14 registered and is in Pune as of now.

Also, the time taken for tax rebate (Should I expect any such thing? ).
Any references on brokers, as I am right now in Chennai.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Maverick79
Old 18th January 2014, 19:54   #218
BHPian

Hello folks, I live in Bangalore and I m planning to buy a car that is registered outside Karnataka. The car is in the name of its first owner. Can you please share your inputs on the order of execution.

1) Create an address proof for me in the state where the car has current registration.
2) Do a local transfer of the car to my name where I will be the second owner.
3) Get NoC from the state to transfer out.
4) Pay local KA tax in Bangalore on the depreciated invoice value.
5) Apply for registration in Karnataka.
6) After obtaining registration, get refund in the earlier state.

If there is any better way to do this, especially the order of the first three steps, please let me know. Also should we do 4 before 3.

Can you also throw some light on the time generally taken for steps 3, 5, 6, atleast to the extent of whether it is in weeks or months or years.
Old 22nd January 2014, 11:13   #219
BHPian

I have a second query experts! This is a little bit urgent.

Recently my friend bought a vehicle in my company's auction in Chennai. Vehicle is TN 22 registered.
The Invoice is raised on my friend's name with Pune address.
Need help for some references to get the NOC from Police and from RTO, to transfer this vehicle to Pune.

Pls ping me the contacts.

Thanks in advance.
Maverick79.
Old 26th January 2014, 19:36   #220
BHPian

Hi,
Went through almost all new post however I am not finding answer to my question so posting it again.

I have MH passing one year old vehicle and I am planning to sell it to a Bangalore based party.

So as this new owner is going to re-register it in Bangalore:
1. Is it possible to apply for the road tax I paid to Pune RTO?
2. As this has to deal with Govt I am suspecting it as hard/impossible procedure?
3. If it is doable, what is the procedure?
4. Anyone here have done it successfully?

Thanks,
Vishal
Old 5th March 2014, 19:06   #221
Senior - BHPian

Friends,

I would be moving to Kolkata from Bangalore, I have 2 year old Swift. I kind of know the process involved in the transfer and refund of Karnataka tax.

But is it really worth, does the process of refund is smooth or we need to run pillar to post for the same. Need guidance from those who have already gone through this ordeal .

My company will pay for the reregistration in Kolkata. So any refund from Bangalore will be added benefit.
Old 4th April 2014, 10:58   #222
Senior - BHPian

I've pasted the refund table for cars in Karnataka , taken from part C4 of http://dpal.kar.nic.in/pdf_files%5CM...%20(Final).pdf.

So , for example ,if your car has spent between 5-6 years in KA and then moved to another state, you'll get a refund of 64% of the lifetime tax you paid.

[Part C4
(See section 7(3))
Refund table for motor cars, jeeps, Omni buses, Private Service
vehicles having floor area upto 5 square meters irrespective of the cost of
the vehicles in respect of which life time tax is paid on or after 1.4.2003

Refund as Percentage of tax levied
I) Within a Year - 93
II) After 1 Year but within 2 Years - 87
III) After 2 Year but within 3 Years - 81
IV) After 3 Year but within 4 Years - 75
V) After 4 Year but within 5 Years - 69
VI) After 5 Year but within 6 Years - 64
VII) After 6 Year but within 7 Years - 59
VIII) After 7 Year but within 8 Years - 54
IX) After 8 Year but within 9 Years - 49
X) After 9 Year but within 10 Years - 45
XI) After 10 Year but within 11 Years - 41
XII) After 11 Year but within 12 Years - 37
XIII) After 12 Year but within 13 Years - 33
XIV) After 13 Year but within 14 Years - 29
XV) After 14 Year but within 15 Years - 25
XVI) After 15 Years - Nil

Last edited by sdp1975 : 4th April 2014 at 11:00.
Old 4th April 2014, 13:44   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeplessdriver View Post
Ok. Finally After 1 year and 7 months of frequent visits, bribery, adjusting to language problems, constant mocking from locals finally Pune RTO finally issues me a new number.

A little background, I shifted from Bangalore in April 2012 and paid the road tax for MH the very first week on arrival. Initiating the process for re-registration with the help from comments on T-bhp did help and I was clear on what and when to do. landing at RTO,language was a big concern as unlike Bangalore, people in Pune prefer the local language for communication. frequent form filling and document submission was not helping the cause and it came to a point that I decided that taking off from work is not going to help my job either. In vain I decided to take the agent route.Believe me guys, I am not a fan of this state and RTO was just the icing on the cake.I waited more than a year, daily calls for follow up, frequent visits to the office but nothing was helping. So in June 2013 I decided to file an RTI to follow up. A month later a letter arrives [in Marathi :-( ] specifying that pune RTO has no documents pertaining to my Vehicle number. This was a shocker as the file had my original Bangalore RC card. Thanks to the state life was a mess all again. I had to re-initiate the whole thing and luckily the file was found and all documents were safe. Finally the lucky day arrived and the agent texted me my new number on November 30-2013. It has been one tough ride and I would like everyone to really help me specifying what route should I follow to apply for the tax refund from Karnataka. Still awaiting the Smart card. wonder if that comes on time here in Pune.
Hey a question, maybe a silly one. Since I know Maharashtra Police don't catch anyone for running outstation cars in Maharashtra, why did you go through all this trouble ?
Old 4th April 2014, 20:15   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Hey a question, maybe a silly one. Since I know Maharashtra Police don't catch anyone for running outstation cars in Maharashtra, why did you go through all this trouble ?
Arrr. Following the weird rule that prevails in the country. Well My family is in Pune for some years and before moving back to Delhi or Bangalore wanted to spend some years here in Maharashtra so the move felt right at that time.
Nevertheless will have to sell the vehicle here now since I realized on time the state is a no no for me. Personal choice.
target is to sell 2 out of the 4 by end of this year.
Old 2nd May 2014, 20:59   #225

I am from Kerala and was about to buy a used car (Scorpio) here. But due to a job change I might be moving to Pune in 2 months. In this situaition:
  • Is it a good idea to buy the car here, get an NOC and re-register in Pune? I am ok with the long drive (~1.5K KM) as long as Goa is on the map! but not sure how long the NOC process will take.
  • I can find a used car in Pune, but i might not be able to check or bargain etc as I can do here. I have friends here who can do it for me.
  • Any suggestion for a trusted used car dealer in Pune? I read somewhere in the forums a good review about Perfect Auto Solution
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Most Viewed