Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2014, 00:04   #301
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Moving a car between States - Road tax, refund etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuelinmyveins View Post
good lord
I will be going for an assignment to Bangalore in January and will be there for about 6-8 months. Do I have to pay life time road tax for it?
Yes, if your stay is more than one month then you will have to pay life time road tax.
If you are in facebook then monitor the below group who are fighting against this rule change in court,
https://www.facebook.com/groups/nonkablr/
Old 10th November 2014, 12:13   #302
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Yes, if your stay is more than one month then you will have to pay life time road tax.
If you are in facebook then monitor the below group who are fighting against this rule change in court,
https://www.facebook.com/groups/nonkablr/
Now as per the RTO inspector who seized our DL regd SX-4 RC book ,theres seems to be an instruction from KA govt to allow only 7 days for non KA vehicles to run with in state with full bullet proof details of the visit .

After that at any point RTO officials can seize the car and give another 7 days to pay..

Last edited by Rajith : 10th November 2014 at 12:16.
Old 10th November 2014, 12:19   #303
BHPian

BHP-ians,

Need your guidance please.

I am moving from AP to TN. We have two cars A) 2009 A-Star in my father's B) 2014 Ritz in my name. Both AP 16 registered.

I have a choice to move one of these cars to Chennai -

1) How much will I have to pay as road tax?
2) Will it be more for 2014 Ritz than 2009 A-Star?
3) What is the procedure at Chennai RTO after I get a NOC issued from AP?
4) Should I surrender my current AP registration/RC while getting NOC?
5) Can I keep the AP registration/RC and use that after I come back to AP?

Thanks in advance.

Kanth
Old 10th November 2014, 12:33   #304
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Please see ***.

I am moving from AP to TN. We have two cars A) 2009 A-Star in my father's B) 2014 Ritz in my name. Both AP 16 registered.

I have a choice to move one of these cars to Chennai -

1) How much will I have to pay as road tax?

*** Depends upon TN state policy. May be around 10 to 12% of the invoice value minus years used.

2) Will it be more for 2014 Ritz than 2009 A-Star?

*** 100%.

3) What is the procedure at Chennai RTO after I get a NOC issued from AP?

*** If your not planning permanent settlement in TN, then pay only LTT and run with AP num.

4) Should I surrender my current AP registration/RC while getting NOC?

*** yes.

5) Can I keep the AP registration/RC and use that after I come back to AP?

*** Yes you can , if you pay only LTT in TN with out taking NOC from AP.

***** Don't be panic, in TN - AP cars are not harassed like in KA !.

Last edited by Rajith : 10th November 2014 at 12:35.
Old 10th November 2014, 16:34   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajith View Post
After that at any point RTO officials can seize the car and give another 7 days to pay..
I am hearing this for the first time. May be you should join the facebook group which i have mentioned in my earlier update and share this information. Its ridiculous to change the rule as per their wish.
Old 25th November 2014, 16:44   #306
BHPian

Mods: Please move to appropriate thread if question is misplaced. I would have wanted to post on the "Karnataka Road Tax Crackdown" thread, but that one is closed.

Question is: We heard Kerala state having dialogue with Karnataka on Road Tax harassment. Now I am a Keralite - I went through bad experiences with my Kerala Registered car around 2008, sold it and got a KA car. Now I hear that if I go to my state for vacation in my KA car, I could be stopped and harassed!! Kerala RTO doing a tit for tat. Is that true? Are flagging down of non KL vehicles happening in Kerala?

I don't know what registration car I should get to be able to freely move in India - my own country. Someone said I need to carry address proof when going to Kerala...!!! My passport is my address proof...Where are we headed??
Old 26th November 2014, 01:38   #307
BHPian

Hi Team,
How strict are the RTO officials in GJ? I'm going to be moving there for a few years, and I plan to take my AP registered SX4 with me.
Old 26th November 2014, 02:32   #308
D C
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lin-jo View Post
Now I hear that if I go to my state for vacation in my KA car, I could be stopped and harassed!! Kerala RTO doing a tit for tat. Is that true? Are flagging down of non KL vehicles happening in Kerala?
My parents used a TN registration Zen in Palakkad, Kerala for more than 6 years (2008 - 2014). The car traveled 45,000 kms mostly in Palakkad, Thrissur and Ernakulam. There were not even a single instance of the car being stopped by RTO / Traffic Police because of its registration.

I am using a KL registered Verna in TN for the past 2.5 years and I haven't even been stopped once. However, that may be sheer luck!

If you are traveling to KL on vacation, be sure to keep all the toll receipts that can be used to prove you just arrived. Moving cars between states apply only for people who relocate and not for people who travel for short durations.

I have made too many travel within Tamil Nadu and Karnataka with KL registered vehicles. Don't worry, enjoy your drive. Cheers!
Old 26th November 2014, 21:34   #309
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
We still want to see whether they really adhere to their statement/word. It also could happen that all these promises still remain on paper alone! Now they are gonna ask the owners to prove they have NOT been in the state for 1 year!

Edit:: How is this a "Manorama Impact"?! There are people who have struggled so much to raise PILs and have discussions with the authorities. I read yesterday that someone from a group (who had raised a complaint campaign in one of the websites) had a meeting with the Kerala CM and appraised him of the situation and seeked his support. And right now, this leading daily want to take credit of their efforts?!
I don't think there has been any exemption made for kerala vehicles. A colleague of mine was harassed a couple of weeks back and his papers impounded. When he told the official about this bit of news, the official replied that it was misrepresented in the news. The rule still stands that the road tax needs to be paid within 30 days.
Old 27th November 2014, 12:50   #310
BHPian

Folks, I am in car hell right now and would sincerely appreciate your advise.

I have a Maruti 800`that I bought in 1997 when I was living in Mumbai. I moved to Bangalore in 2003 along with my car, paid the road tax here and have been driving it ever since though for the last few years I mostly use it to run errands in the vicinity of my house.

We just bought another vehicle and I have now run out of parking space and want to sell the car. I placed ads last week in all the usual places, Team-BHP, Quickr, OLX, etc., and ended up getting very good responses including some who said that they would return in the evening to take delivery of the car. However I encountered this curious experience that all buyers eventually backed out.

Suspecting that it had something to do with the Maharashtra registration, I went to the RTO today where they said that not only do I have to go to Mumbai to get the NOC, but I would also have to move the car there to get it inspected. Not having gone to Mumbai ever since I moved here and not knowing a soul there, I am at my wit's end.

I have been racking my brains about my miserable situation and here's what I can think of:
  1. Place an ad on Team-BHP, Quickr, OLX, etc., but this time for Mumbai and see what I end up with. Only question is I am not even sure if anyone would be interested in buying a car remotely, no matter the price.
  2. Move the car to the nearest town in Maharashtra and do a change of address and other formalities there. However the more I think about it, the more it seems convoluted.
  3. Move car and myself to Andheri (MH 02) and try and get all formalities done and see if I can sell the car as well. This is obviously a big pain point for me.
  4. Contact a car scrap buyer here in Bangalore and scrap the car. This upsets me even though it solves my problem with parking space because the car runs just fine.

Would appreciate if someone can provide me their opinions as well as suggestions on what else I can do given my situation.
Old 27th November 2014, 13:28   #311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Would appreciate if someone can provide me their opinions as well as suggestions on what else I can do given my situation.
Options 1,2 & 4 are ruled out. Option 3 would be the last resort. Best way is to contact a RTO agent either from Mumbai or Bangalore and take their services in getting the said NOC. There are a few threads on the forum which lists the RTO agents in Mumbai.

Came up with this information on a website.
Quote:
No NOC from earlier registered state

If you could not obtain NOC at the time of shifing of my vehicle and have paid tax, and obtained change of address in the certificate of registration in the new state , there is a way to obtain NOC from previous registering authority. You will have to fill forms with pencil print of the chassis no. on all the forms , and send the forms to the previous registering authority along with original registration certificate, Insurance, emission testing certificate BY RPAD. Keep the acknowledgement from the previous Registering authority for having received your application and the 4th copy of NOC application safely . You will receive the NOC from the concerned Registering Authority.
Source: http://www.indiahometips.com/transfe...en-states.html

Edit: Attaching the link of Karnataka RTO FAQ's where all the information is available.
http://rto.kar.nic.in/faqcss.html

Last edited by ghodlur : 27th November 2014 at 13:37.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 16:13   #312
D C
BHPian

Here are some information from RTO websites regarding transfer of motor vehicles between states. These are formal procedures and we may need to put in considerable efforts to get everyone follow these and to obtain tax refunds etc.

Karnataka

Registration of Other State Vehicle

Obtaining NOC

Refund of Tax

Maharashtra

Obtaining NOC

Refund of Tax – No detailed info available on RTO websites, however the procedures seems similar across all RTO

Tamil Nadu

Obtaining NOC

Refund of Tax (Point No. 13)

Kerala

Obtaining NOC (Navigate to No Objection Certificate under e-Applications)

Refund of Tax - No detailed info available on RTO websites, however the procedures seems similar across all RTO

Andhra Pradesh

Obtaining NOC

Refund of Tax – No detailed info available on RTO websites, however the procedures seems similar across all RTO
D C is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2014, 17:24   #313
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFrancis View Post
Hi Team,
How strict are the RTO officials in GJ? I'm going to be moving there for a few years, and I plan to take my AP registered SX4 with me.
Tame Jalsa Karo, Kai Nai Thai I mean, don't worry, they are not like the hooligans in KA. Enjoy your stay in Gujarat. No one catches anyone in Gujarat for all this.
Old 1st December 2014, 12:43   #314
BHPian

NEed advice

I am planning on buying a used car from Guj and bringing to Pune for use. I'm aware of the 7% tax on invoice value but is there an Octroi thats required to be paid?

Also, its now a Company car - will be registered under my name (individual). That part should be of no complication - correct ?
Old 1st December 2014, 13:28   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleo View Post
I am planning on buying a used car from Guj and bringing to Pune for use. I'm aware of the 7% tax on invoice value but is there an Octroi thats required to be paid?

Also, its now a Company car - will be registered under my name (individual). That part should be of no complication - correct ?
Is the taxation on the invoice value? I guess it must be on the depreciated value of the car. Ensure that the NOC from Gujarat RTO is obtained and the road tax paid there is refunded.

Shouldn't be an issue if you register it under your name but then how is going to labelled a company car?

Most Viewed