Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2015, 23:21   #436
Senior - BHPian

Re: Moving a car between States - Road tax, refund etc?

I had gone to the New India Assurance office in Bangalore recently, to buy a 3-year insurance policy for my wife's scooter. While waiting for a (very slow) clerk to enter my details, I came across this very curious case being discussed.

Disclaimer: I am just narrating a conversation I heard, I am not connected to any parties involved.

Elderly gentleman had purchased a car second hand from a PSU bank - car was registered in the name of the bank - in New Delhi. Brought the car to Bangalore, paid LTT (about 65K, he said) and applied for re-registration. He was told by the RTO that the process will take 3-4 months to complete.

In the meanwhile, the car's insurance is about to expire. New India Assurance was unwilling to sell this man an insurance policy on a car he owned, in his name, because the registration was still in the name of the Delhi bank. They would only renew the insurance in the name of the bank, and told him to pray that between today and the day he got his RC card from the Bangalore RTO there is no accident or claim.
Old 3rd December 2015, 19:35   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post

I understand that MH has a different tax structure for individual and corporate ownerships (7% and 14% respectively if not mistaken). I am not sure if the rates were same in 2010 also (the year of vehicle registration). The vehicle is a corporate/company registered and based out of Mumbai RTO. I am curious if that is a deterrant for refund, as I will be registering it in my personal name and there isn't any individual/corporate based different taxation here in Kerala.

Avinash
I dont think there should be a problem.Having said that, i would advise you to file an RTI or shoot an email to the Transport Commissioner to clarify on the same.

Waseem.....
SILVERWOOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 16:10   #438
Distinguished - BHPian

I believe that the NOCs issued from Kolkata RTO can be verified online. Can someone with more information help/ guide on the process?

Regards.
Old 19th December 2015, 11:07   #439

Hi

I am currently in Navi Mumbai and have a car registered in company's name. I want to move to Gurgaon, keep the car and register it there. I have a few queries:

1. Do I have to get it registered first in my name at Navi Mumbai and then again get it re-registered in Gurgaon? Or can the transfer of Title (company to individual) and location (navi mumbai) to Gurgaon be done in 1 step?

2. I read somewhere that road tax is payable for used car only if it is less than 2 years old, unless the sales price was more than 10 lakhs. Is that true ?

Thanks for the Help
Old 20th December 2015, 00:22   #440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanchit223 View Post
Hi

I am currently in Navi Mumbai and have a car registered in company's name. I want to move to Gurgaon, keep the car and register it there. I have a few queries:

1. Do I have to get it registered first in my name at Navi Mumbai and then again get it re-registered in Gurgaon? Or can the transfer of Title (company to individual) and location (navi mumbai) to Gurgaon be done in 1 step?

2. I read somewhere that road tax is payable for used car only if it is less than 2 years old, unless the sales price was more than 10 lakhs. Is that true ?

Thanks for the Help
You can register the car in your name after getting the NOC from Navi Mumbai.

Transport Department council had made recommendations to all the states on October 28 2013.Not sure if Haryana has implemented these recommendations.

Waseem.....
Old 29th December 2015, 17:49   #441
HKP
BHPian

I am planning to move to Hyderabad with my Car and Bike in Feb 2016- both KA registered. Its a new job and I may be there for long term.

Saw the earlier post on Telangana's plan to introduce Temp registrations. Has it materialized?

Do you think I will be harassed by cops for my KA vehicles?

\\hkp
Old 29th December 2015, 19:29   #442
Senior - BHPian

The bill is yet to be passed in the assembly.(On yearly tax).

Telengana RTA officials are no less.You will be stopped by these guys for sure.

Waseem.....
Old 29th December 2015, 21:28   #443
Senior - BHPian

Does someone have any information on getting a "not in use" certificate for my car?

Dumb situation -

I'd moved to Bangalore early this year and had to pay road tax in bangalore - whereupon the Electronic City (KA53) RTO issued me a karnataka RC book, but with my TN number still on it.

Six months later - in Sep - I had to move back to TN.

So managed to get a NOC endorsed by the KA RTO, took the police clearance cert from the commissioner's office, and got it to the TN07 (Chennai Thiruvanmiyur) RTO. My agent + the RTO clerk glanced at the paperwork, confirmed that the road tax in Chennai was still in the RTO's hands, and then said "this NOC doesn't have a 'not in use in karnataka' endorsement, go get that".

So I couriered the paperwork plus the Karnataka RC with the TN number back to my agent (who was recommended by a former BHPian who owns a 2 wheeler dealership - but who is based across town in Yeshwantpur).

Since then he's been having no end of difficulty - according to him - convincing the KA53 RTO to make that endorsement on the certificate.

I think - based on that, they will have no grounds to deny a refund of the road tax if a claim is made for that, and that might be causing the reluctance. Or because its a pain for him to get across town or hand it to another agent across town and get it done, its lying with him and he's inventing one reason after the other on why it hasn't been done yet, nearly 2 months after I sent the RC, NOC original and a white paper letter requesting the endorsement, back to him.

Can someone please suggest what is the way out here? Thanks.
Old 2nd January 2016, 18:58   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Please refer to the attached pic and the below mentioned link.

http://www.aptransport.org/html/taxe...-time-tax.html

Waseem
Hey Waseem! I'm looking at a used car from a person in Tamil Nadu which was purchased in October 2013 at an ex showroom price of 61 Lakhs. I plan on registering the car in Andhra Pradesh and looking at that picture you have posted above, I'm looking at a road tax rate of 10.5% on the cost of the vehicle.

My question is, isn't there any kind of depreciation that is calculated on the ex showroom price of the car, considering it is 2.5 years old? Taxing on the original invoice makes no sense when I'm only paying a used value of half the invoice price, considering it is 2.5 years old and driven for quite high kilometers.

Any kind of information would be helpful, thanks.
Old 4th January 2016, 08:30   #445
Senior - BHPian

If the car is above 10L and falls under 2-3 years category, the tax applicable would be 12.5% of the invoice value + cess of 10%.

Please refer to the attached pic for more details.

Waseem.....
Attached Thumbnails
Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.-1451876246396.jpg  

SILVERWOOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2016, 17:30   #446
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the one liner. Bumping this up. Can someone please suggest - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Does someone have any information on getting a "not in use" certificate for my car?

Dumb situation -

I'd moved to Bangalore early this year and had to pay road tax in bangalore - whereupon the Electronic City (KA53) RTO issued me a karnataka RC book, but with my TN number still on it.

Six months later - in Sep - I had to move back to TN.

So managed to get a NOC endorsed by the KA RTO, took the police clearance cert from the commissioner's office, and got it to the TN07 (Chennai Thiruvanmiyur) RTO. My agent + the RTO clerk glanced at the paperwork, confirmed that the road tax in Chennai was still in the RTO's hands, and then said "this NOC doesn't have a 'not in use in karnataka' endorsement, go get that".

So I couriered the paperwork plus the Karnataka RC with the TN number back to my agent (who was recommended by a former BHPian who owns a 2 wheeler dealership - but who is based across town in Yeshwantpur).

Since then he's been having no end of difficulty - according to him - convincing the KA53 RTO to make that endorsement on the certificate.

I think - based on that, they will have no grounds to deny a refund of the road tax if a claim is made for that, and that might be causing the reluctance. Or because its a pain for him to get across town or hand it to another agent across town and get it done, its lying with him and he's inventing one reason after the other on why it hasn't been done yet, nearly 2 months after I sent the RC, NOC original and a white paper letter requesting the endorsement, back to him.

Can someone please suggest what is the way out here? Thanks.
Old 5th January 2016, 20:50   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
If the car is above 10L and falls under 2-3 years category, the tax applicable would be 12.5% of the invoice value + cess of 10%.

Please refer to the attached pic for more details.

Waseem.....
11% for 1-2 years, will be 11% of ex-showroom price ? Also will the VAT be included in this ?

On a different note a friend of mine just shifted to Bangalore from Kolkata with his car. He mentioned that there is a stay order now and that he does not need to pay the LTT for a year ? Is that true ?
Old 6th January 2016, 19:19   #448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Dumb situation -

Did you take an NOC from TN before moving to Karnataka.?

There is NO WAY that Karnataka RTO will refund you a single penny if you have not registered your car in Karnataka after paying LTT.

Waseem.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
11% for 1-2 years, will be 11% of ex-showroom price ? Also will the VAT be included in this ?

On a different note a friend of mine just shifted to Bangalore from Kolkata with his car. He mentioned that there is a stay order now and that he does not need to pay the LTT for a year ? Is that true ?
Yes, VAT will be a part of the calculation.

Please tell your friend that the STAY IS VACATED and he will be in a deep mess if caught by Karnataka RTO guys.

Waseem.....

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 6th January 2016 at 19:20.
Old 6th January 2016, 19:29   #449
Senior - BHPian

I took a NOC when moving to Karnataka. I intended full well to stay there as I'd got a new job there.

So - the KA51 (Electronic City / Devarachikkanahalli) RTO very brilliantly gave me a Karnataka RC book, with my bangalore address, but with my TN number printed on it.

They claimed I needed to wait for three more months and then get myself a KA number after applying afresh. (why? more commission to the agent and the RTO clerk?)

Anyway, a couple of months after that - I had to move back to Chennai due to some family reasons. So I got a NOC from the bangalore KA51 RTO, after several weeks delay (at least part of which was probably due to the agent not bothering to go from Yashwantpur to Electronic City).

Now when I took this NOC + the police clearance certificate from the chennai commissioner's office to the Chennai RTO, the RTO staff there verified that they still had the original road tax they took from me in 2014, and then claimed the NOC was incomplete, and that a "vehicle is not in use in Karnataka" endorsement needed to be affixed to the NOC, or else they couldn't accept the NOC without trying to charge me road tax afresh.

When I took this case back to my agent, he contacted the KA51 RTO folks, and they're claiming they never heard of such a rule, and to get a request in writing from the Chennai RTO. The agent suggested that I come over personally and talk to the RTO.

Before I know what I'm getting into (beyond an almost expected demand for some more "sweetener") I'd like some advice from tbhpians who have run across this situation. I have a feeling the resistance is because once that not in use certificate is issued, the KA people will be expecting a road tax refund claim - and that's something they are reluctant to allow.
Old 6th January 2016, 20:27   #450
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I took a NOC when moving to Karnataka. I intended full well to stay there as I'd got a new job there.

So - the KA51 (Electronic City / Devarachikkanahalli) RTO very brilliantly gave me a Karnataka RC book, with my bangalore address, but with my TN number printed on it. ...
I think I read that if you retain your original number (from respecticve state) even after paying the Karnataka road tax (without changing into a KA number), they wouldn't refund the amount. Yours look like such a case.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 6th January 2016 at 20:28.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks