Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2017, 06:27   #616
Senior - BHPian

re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

They have their own tables for specific car models that they will use, regardless of dealer discounts, exchange bonus etc that may have been applied to your car.
Old 19th July 2017, 10:18   #617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
They have their own tables for specific car models that they will use, regardless of dealer discounts, exchange bonus etc that may have been applied to your car.
Agreed on the base price logic without discounts etc.
But applying VAT again in Karnataka and bumping the price of an old car above OTR price anywhere in the country. Is that correct ?

Anyways, I feel like

Probably, the only way out is to cancel the NOC and drive around HR car here.
Whenever required, go there and sell it.
Old 19th July 2017, 10:21   #618
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Probably, the only way out is to cancel the NOC and drive around HR car here.
Whenever required, go there and sell it.
Cancelling the noc needs you to take it back to Haryana after obtaining a NOC not in use certificate from Bangalore. Then you can drive the car back here - but the fun is, they might seize it and ask you to fork out life tax once again.

Sell the car in haryana if you cancel the noc. Or if its a reasonably new car re-register it and drive it for a year or so longer than you'd normally drive it

Keep the car for 8-10 years and this ceases to make a difference
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2017, 16:47   #619
BHPian

I am posting on behalf of a friend and require your advise. He bought a car in Bangalore and traveled abroad. Now the car is in Kolkata and his father is finding it difficult to drive in Kolkata as the cops are asking for NOC. He will be outside India for 8 months only and once back planning to use the vehicle in Bangalore. Does he still need to take NOC in Bangalore? What options does he have to drive the vehicle in Kolkata for 8 months. Please suggest the options.
Old 16th August 2017, 23:36   #620
BHPian

I have brought my Kerala registered Tiago Xz (otr price : 5.85L) to Subramanya, Dakshina Kannada, Karnataka where am presently posted ( in a nationalized bank). While Subramanya being a tourist spot, there are many other state registrations, I wish to use my car till June 2017.
Whether any option of paying 1 yr road tax in Karnataka because I plan on weekend getaways to Bangalore/Mysore/chikmagalur and not get caught by cops
Old 17th August 2017, 09:50   #621
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaganpec2002 View Post
I am posting on behalf of a friend and require your advise. He bought a car in Bangalore and traveled abroad. Now the car is in Kolkata and his father is finding it difficult to drive in Kolkata as the cops are asking for NOC. He will be outside India for 8 months only and once back planning to use the vehicle in Bangalore. Does he still need to take NOC in Bangalore? What options does he have to drive the vehicle in Kolkata for 8 months. Please suggest the options.
WB - if you stay more than 3 months with an out of state car you have to pay tax for at least a year. I am sure you can do that.

http://vahan.wb.nic.in/wb/vahan/gui/...oadTaxFAQs.jsp

They used to offer online payment of this tax but that is withdrawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuchel View Post
I have brought my Kerala registered Tiago Xz (otr price : 5.85L) to Subramanya, Dakshina Kannada, Karnataka where am presently posted ( in a nationalized bank). While Subramanya being a tourist spot, there are many other state registrations, I wish to use my car till June 2017.
Whether any option of paying 1 yr road tax in Karnataka because I plan on weekend getaways to Bangalore/Mysore/chikmagalur and not get caught by cops
If you have any other ID + your DL that is from Kerala and you go back there for various reasons, which is easy given that Subramanya is not too far from the Kerala border, just keep a copy of the latest road tax receipts (or fastag statement from your bank, if you have a fastag) and tell the cop you are just a visitor.
Old 17th August 2017, 17:56   #622
BHPian

Nationalised bank employees have the option of paying tax annually.
Old 20th August 2017, 00:24   #623
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Sell the car in haryana if you cancel the noc. Or if its a reasonably new car re-register it and drive it for a year or so longer than you'd normally drive it
One needs a Non Utilization Certificate (NUC) to get the NOC cancelled.It is not easy to get a NUC.

Waseem.
Old 21st August 2017, 09:33   #624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Another update on RTO Bangalore calculation: HR to KA

Price of the car = 10,50,000 (without discount) Final invoice amount not considered.

KA state VAT (12.5%) = Rs 1,31,250
Surcharge on VAT (5%) = Rs 6,563

Percentage of tax levied <2 yr old car = 93% = Rs 11,04,666

Road Tax @ 17 % = Rs 1,87,793
Service Charge on Road tax 11% = Rs 20,567

HR NOC was taken in May 2017 so,
Penalty @ 1 % each month = Rs 6,254

Total Road Tax to be Paid = Rs 2,14,704

While buying the car in HR, I have paid the VAT which is included in the invoice amount.
Why are they adding VAT again to the Car price ?
Update:
I have paid the above Road tax and got the KA number.

Thanks hserus, Avinash & Waseem for your inputs.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by avinash_clt View Post
At the KA RTO, when you are applying for a new registration mark (once again after submitting NOC from HR RTO, paying pro-rata LTT at KA, and providing other documentation), the vehicle needs to be presented and physically inspected (similar to the case of a new vehicle).
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
You are required to pay Tax in KA after 1 year of plying.

Waseem.
Old 21st August 2017, 11:08   #625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update:
I have paid the above Road tax and got the KA number.

Thanks hserus, Avinash & Waseem for your inputs.
Good show. Now your next step is to try and get tax refund from Haryana.

This post describes the entire process. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post4048379

You may have to follow up with the Karnataka RTO regarding issue of CRTI / CRTM, and personally take a copy over to the concerned Haryanvi RTO - as otherwise things tend to get lost or delayed in the communication between two RTOs. The process will take months and lots of back and forth.
Old 29th August 2017, 23:35   #626

Hi everyone

i am planning to take my Bangalore registered S cross to Chennai. I don't want to get into hassles of getting an NOC or re-registration. Can i not just pay the Lifetime tax in Chennai and drive the vehicle there ?

NOTE:
Also came across that it can be done in Maharashtra.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-car-pune.html (Step by Step Guide: Paying 'One Time Tax' for an out-of-state car in Pune)

Can anyone confirm this for chennai ?
Old 30th August 2017, 05:19   #627
Senior - BHPian

Drive the car across to Bangalore often.

Show toll receipts (or show a fastag toll token on your windshield)

Explain to the cop, preferably in polite Tamil, that you're just visiting family / over on a business trip etc and pay either the fine or slightly over the going rate in bribe money that he's running you in for. When it is the end of the month they'll stop out of state cars randomly much more often than they'll stop local vehicles, to make up their quotas.

Or, legally - you can operate the car in Chennai for upto a year before you will need to get a NOC and re-register it (that is not an "or" - it is an "and", first get the NOC, then pay life tax afresh in TN at a much lower rate than KA, then get your KA tax refunded, occupies several months of your time in entertaining conversations with RTO officials).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoldeGaur View Post
Hi everyone

i am planning to take my Bangalore registered S cross to Chennai. I don't want to get into hassles of getting an NOC or re-registration. Can i not just pay the Lifetime tax in Chennai and drive the vehicle there ?

NOTE:
Also came across that it can be done in Maharashtra.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-car-pune.html (Step by Step Guide: Paying 'One Time Tax' for an out-of-state car in Pune)

Can anyone confirm this for chennai ?
Old 30th August 2017, 09:36   #628
BHPian

Quote:
Or, legally - you can operate the car in Chennai for upto a year before you will need to get a NOC and re-register it
I am planning to bring an old family car from hometown in Chhattisgarh to Pune and this one year rule, applicable in Maharashtra as well, has me a bit confused.

Say I keep the car in Maharashtra for a year and then drive back to Chhattisgarh for a week, am I then allowed to legally keep car in Maharashtra for another year? Would be so convenient since I would anyways drive back home during festive occasions. Wanting to avoid transferring registration since the car is old and bringing it here is only stop-gap arrangement for couple of years.
Old 30th August 2017, 09:40   #629
BHPian

Quote:
Drive the car across to Bangalore often.

Show toll receipts (or show a fastag toll token on your windshield)

Explain to the cop, preferably in polite Tamil, that you're just visiting family / over on a business trip etc and pay either the fine or slightly over the going rate in bribe money that he's running you in for. When it is the end of the month they'll stop out of state cars randomly much more often than they'll stop local vehicles, to make up their quotas.

Or, legally - you can operate the car in Chennai for upto a year before you will need to get a NOC and re-register it (that is not an "or" - it is an "and", first get the NOC, then pay life tax afresh in TN at a much lower rate than KA, then get your KA tax refunded, occupies several months of your time in entertaining conversations with RTO officials).
I read in one of the articles that if you pay your lifetime tax in karnataka before a year you do not need to re-register the car to KA number.
Old 30th August 2017, 09:48   #630
Senior - BHPian

Technically - yes. If you convince them you're just visiting that's fine and easy.

One common sense bit of warning - If the cop or RTO notices other things about the car that suggest to them that it is local (eg: parking stickers for an office or apartment building in Pune) they won't believe you when you say you're just visiting.

Note - the Mumbai RTO doesn't seem very manic about enforcing out of state type rules, but they do tend to notice vehicles from several states away, where they wouldn't pay much attention to a plate from a neighbouring state like Gujarat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
I am planning to bring an old family car from hometown in Chhattisgarh to Pune and this one year rule, applicable in Maharashtra as well, has me a bit confused.

Say I keep the car in Maharashtra for a year and then drive back to Chhattisgarh for a week, am I then allowed to legally keep car in Maharashtra for another year? Would be so convenient since I would anyways drive back home during festive occasions. Wanting to avoid transferring registration since the car is old and bringing it here is only stop-gap arrangement for couple of years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks