Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2018, 12:44   #691
Senior - BHPian

re: Moving a car between States - Transfer, road tax, refund etc.

Just show them your fastag - and keep a copy of your fastag statement handy. That is enough.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 13:19   #692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
True. I agree. But the problem that I will face is that they will harass me for getting the road tax done inspite of me showing the papers. Now infact, I will have no toll receipt since its NH from door to door and I have FASTag.

Thus, to pacify them I thought if I can pay some namesake tax (e.g. Transit, State Entry Tax etc.) and then show that as proof of me being aware of tax regimen, will this help ?

I want to do this at the border checkpoint/post. Otherwise I have to hire a taut at the nearest RTO at my hometown location to get a road tax paid receipt and sticker.

All suggestions will be helpful.
Which states are you talking about here ?
Altocumulus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2018, 13:39   #693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Just show them your fastag - and keep a copy of your fastag statement handy. That is enough.
Thanks HSERUS. I sincerely hope that cops make sense of it. Especially Chennai Traffic Police with their corruption stopping handhelds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altocumulus View Post
Which states are you talking about here ?
Start Telangana > transit Andhra > spend 2 weeks in Tamilnadu.
Old 11th May 2018, 16:21   #694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
Thanks HSERUS. I sincerely hope that cops make sense of it. Especially Chennai Traffic Police with their corruption stopping handhelds.

Start Telangana > transit Andhra > spend 2 weeks in Tamilnadu.
TN cops don't generally care too much. Just tell them you are visiting. They might stop you a bit more often for traffic fines to meet their targets but that's about it.
Old 15th May 2018, 13:28   #695
BHPian

Hey Guys, I am planning to buy a new car from Chandigarh dealer and get it registered in Haryana - Faridabad.

i would like to know the process and the list of documents needed for the same.

Searching on net leads to online links where dealer is supposed to register a car in Haryana. Can an individual not register a car in Haryana RTO?

I have asked the dealer and he said that he will provide me a CHD temporary number with address of my home city in Haryana.

Considering Chandigarh is the capital of Haryana, I was under the belief that it should be a simple straight forward process.
Old 26th May 2018, 18:01   #696
BHPian

Dear bhpians,

I have recently purchased an Audi A3 in Chennai and I may be required to work out of Mumbai for sometime (1 to 1.5 years max). If I decide to take my car, I can’t re-register for obvious reason that I am going to be back to Chennai soon.

I read somewhere about 1 year road tax, does it apply to Mumbai? Can anyone throw some light on the options I have please?
Old 26th May 2018, 18:18   #697
VKS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhasir View Post
I read somewhere about 1 year road tax, does it apply to Mumbai? Can anyone throw some light on the options I have please?

Unfortunately no option other than paying life tax, but the good news is that MH cops are not particular about outstation car and their tax status.
Old 28th May 2018, 09:42   #698
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VKS View Post
Unfortunately no option other than paying life tax, but the good news is that MH cops are not particular about outstation car and their tax status.
I have read there is more vigilance on out of state cars in recent past.

I vaguely remember people posting about 1 year tax payment in some state and not sure if similar option exists in Maharashtra. Are you sure that lifetime tax is the only way? Do you have any link for reference/read?
Old 17th August 2018, 17:27   #699
BHPian

GOOD NEWS GUYS ! Inter-state vehicle transfer to become seamless

Read it here https://www.carwale.com/news/interst...come-seamless/

Hope that should help many.
Old 17th August 2018, 17:30   #700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaSing View Post
GOOD NEWS GUYS ! Inter-state vehicle transfer to become seamless

Read it here https://www.carwale.com/news/interst...come-seamless/

Hope that should help many.
Quoting from the article - and this is the understatement of the century -

Quote:
Since these recommendations are subject to agreement from the states, humungous delays are a certainty before a consensus is reached. But at least a step in the right direction has been initiated.
Old 17th August 2018, 18:40   #701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudhasir View Post
Dear bhpians,

I have recently purchased an Audi A3 in Chennai and I may be required to work out of Mumbai for sometime (1 to 1.5 years max). If I decide to take my car, I can't re-register for obvious reason that I am going to be back to Chennai soon.

I would recommend just driving in Mumbai with the TN plates. The Mumbai cops typically don't bother. I drove in Mumbai with TN numbers for over 7 years and was stopped twice. Got away without paying any fine/bribe. There are large numbers of outside state vehicles and despite many articles in newspapers to the contrary, the cops don't purposefully give you trouble. They have their hands full trying to manage the peak hour traffic!

Make sure that you get a Pollution under control certificate from chennai just before you leave. In chennai, they give you a certificate with your car photo also on it, making it look very genuine. That itself will give you something to show to the cops for 6 months.

Just be careful with the no parking spots. Typically, the towing guys tend to tow away outside state vehicles first for some reason.
RedHerring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 13:46   #702
BHPian

I have brought my KL registered (KL-08) car (tiago) from Trichur (kerala) to Mangalore (KA). I intend to use the same here for roughly 1 year. However, I have been caught by cops 2 times in the past 2 months and fined 100 each (without challan). They have demanded NOC or atleast proof of having brought the car to the state (I don't keep toll receipts).
What would be the best option for me to continue using the car. Is there any provision to pay a road tax for 1/2 years? Is it enough to keep paying the fine
Old 10th September 2018, 13:58   #703
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuchel View Post
I have brought my KL registered (KL-08) car (tiago) from Trichur (kerala) to Mangalore (KA). I intend to use the same here for roughly 1 year. However, I have been caught by cops 2 times in the past 2 months and fined 100 each (without challan). They have demanded NOC or atleast proof of having brought the car to the state (I don't keep toll receipts).
What would be the best option for me to continue using the car. Is there any provision to pay a road tax for 1/2 years? Is it enough to keep paying the fine
Drive the car back to kerala once every few months and keep a full set of your latest toll receipts (xeroxed as the printing will start to fade after a while).

As you're in a border district there's less chance of your getting caught.

If you want to re-register, you need a NOC from the Thrishur RTO, followed by paying life tax on a pro rata basis (that is, reduced by some % based on the age of your car) in Mangalore.

If the cop stopping gets too much and you're going to be in Karnataka for a few years more, sell your car in Kerala and buy one here.
Old 19th September 2018, 00:18   #704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinuchel View Post
You can pay road for one year if you are employed with a PSU,Nationalized Bank, Defense forces or work with Central Govt.

Waseem.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 07:04   #705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
You can pay road for one year if you are employed with a PSU,Nationalized Bank, Defense forces or work with Central Govt.

Waseem.
That said, how is your case against the KA RTO going? I know they filed an appeal but what after that?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks